7:05 PM :  Toronto ( 0 ) at  Pittsburgh ( 0 ) —- T: 0
    7:05 PM :  N.Y. Islanders ( 135 ) at  Florida ( -155 ) —- T: 135
    7:05 PM :  Minnesota ( -115 ) at  Philadelphia ( -105 ) —- T: -115
    7:05 PM :  Detroit ( 150 ) at  Montreal ( -170 ) —- T: 150
    7:05 PM :  Buffalo ( 125 ) at  New Jersey ( -145 ) —- T: 125
    8:05 PM :  Boston ( -140 ) at  Arizona ( 120 ) —- T: -140
    8:05 PM :  Anaheim ( 110 ) at  Nashville ( -130 ) —- T: 110
    10:05 PM :  N.Y. Rangers ( -135 ) at  Calgary ( 115 ) —- T: -135

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NHL strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterdays games will be moved to yesterdays NHL thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted. Please make it a point to say if you’re talking about Cash or GPP options.

• kdub

In a bit of a tailspin as of late… wondering if my process needs changing or if its just an unlucky streak… im curious how you guys go about game selection and researching lines, im a gpp player and had decent success last year and a little bit early this year playing smaller gpps, but ive since been struggling so im just lookin for some input from guys who are much more educated on nhl dfs than i am lol

• jonsousa46

I traditionally play cash games, but I think I am going to mix it up tonight and max enter the quarter arcade on DK and have some fun, as this looks to be a great slate for GPPs.

• jonsousa46

Does anyone know if you can incorporate double stacks into the DK Lineup Builder? Only allowing me to do singles at the moment.

• MSU_Dave

You want education, read Scumpunch’s forum from yesterday. Turns out it was spot on. As for GPP’s I normally put together cash games (they are so, much steadier) and enter those LU’s in a couple of GPP’s including FD’s Save single entry. Never take a top spot but usually place. As for keys (using last night as an example):
    I concentrate on highest vegas lines (PHL @ Tor)
    Defense by position (both Tor & PHL are in the top 5 in DEF points scored on) no surprise Ghost & Reilly went off
    Corsi ratings (Simmonds, Ovey & McDavid, etc.) &
    hottest players (Dallas top line, ).

Then I follow Left wing lock & Daily Faceoff on twitter for late breaking news, goalie starts & line combos. Now I wasn’t lucky to have all of those players in one Lineup but they were all in the mix and thats what needs to be figured out before even setting your final lineup

• bdvratoric

What this guy said^

I try to target faster paced games, for example the other night when TB1 had a good game, the Islanders give up 63 CA60 and a little over 9 SCA60. They’re also a weaker possession team, obviously the Lightning were a chalky play (Stamkos was at 20% in most tournaments), but they were bound to get a ton of chances.

• TicketRaven

MSU_Dave and bdvratoric that is very awesome advice. Thanks.

I also check odds first sportsline.com/nhl a few times a day
    Then I check the daily and weekly schedule on DailyFaceoff – travel that week and matchups past & present
    Then I check last 10 days stats on ice.nhl.com and sort different columns see the hottest players
    Time on ice is essential – I use hockey-reference.com
    SportingCharts.com for stuff, etc.

• TicketRaven

Does anyone have a link to a site that allows you to view Time On Ice (TOI) for skaters – with a sort option for last 5, 10 or 20 or 30 games. Or maybe last 5, 10, 20, or 30 days?

• TicketRaven

In case someone needs the definition to “cash games”

Cash Game Strategy

The majority of cash games consist of 50/50’s and head-to-head leagues. In a 50/50 contest, you only have to beat out half of your competition as the top half of the field wins double their entry fee while the bottom half of the field loses their entire entry fee. Likewise, in a head-to-head league, you only need to beat one opponent. In both of these league types, 50% of the field wins.

Due to the fact that cash games are much easier to cash in, the goal is to produce a team with a very high floor. In other words, you want to construct a “safe” lineup that is well balanced and has a great chance of putting up a solid score. Cash games are not the place to target players that are “boom or bust” players because you don’t need to beat the entire field. You only need to beat 50% of the field in order to cash.

Basketball is a sport where players have very high floors. The reasoning for this is that production is directly tied to opportunity which is directly tied to minutes and minutes are very predictable in the NBA. You want to target consistent fantasy players that are going to see consistent minutes on a nightly basis. For example, let’s say that you are faced with a decision at center between Marc Gasol and Derrick Favors. In a cash game, I would lean toward Marc Gasol because he has a much higher floor and sees consistent minutes on a nightly basis.

Cash games are also more about value than they are about upside. Keep in mind that the primary goal of a cash game lineup is to have the highest floor possible, even if you have to limit your team’s upside. Targeting the cheap value plays that are expected to see a boost in opportunity thanks to injuries will allow you to fit some of the more expensive players that are both consistent and have a high floor. The key point to take for cash games is to value players with a high floor over players that are inconsistent.

• TicketRaven

Pitt
    Fla
    Mtl
    Boston

• all have decent odds to win tonight – I like Pitt, NJ, and Ana tonight
  • TicketRaven

Another great GPP tip as RotoGrinders mentions:

Another GPP strategy that is often employed by the top daily fantasy players is to target players that will have a low percentage of ownership. These are referred to as “contrarian” plays or plays that go against the grain. The reasoning for this is fairly simple: it’s easier to separate yourself from the pack when your team is constructed of players that aren’t highly owned.

• bdvratoric

Also Connor Sheary back on the first line tonight with Crosby, plus he gets PP2 time. Only 4k on DK.

• bdvratoric

@TicketRaven said...

Another great GPP tip as RotoGrinders mentions:

Another GPP strategy that is often employed by the top daily fantasy players is to target players that will have a low percentage of ownership. These are referred to as “contrarian” plays or plays that go against the grain. The reasoning for this is fairly simple: it’s easier to separate yourself from the pack when your team is constructed of players that aren’t highly owned.

To add to this specifically for NHL

It’s easy to see what players will be highly owned, PIT BOS FLA etc. If you pivot to a teams 2nd line even in a great match up their ownership won’t be too high. Just the other night ANA2 won a tournament while a lot of people were on their first line. Tonight BOS2 won’t see anywhere near the ownership % of their first, and youll get Backes Spooner and Krejci in just as good of a spot as their first line but with less people on them. Not only that but they’re all on PP1 as well.

• TicketRaven

Winner From A Recent DK’s 11 GM Slate

C / Plekanec 6
    C / E. Staal 8.5
    W / Lehkonen 5.5
    W / Parise 5
    W / Radulov
    D / Burns 5.5
    D / Weber 9
    G / T. Rask 7.6
    UTIL / A. Markov 4.5

Low scoring 52.6 11 GM Slate winning lineup

• Scumpunch

RG Overall Ranking

@MSU_Dave said...

You want education, read Scumpunch’s forum from yesterday. Turns out it was spot on.

Thanks, glad I could help!

• mskellett

I skip reading for one day and miss the most educational thing? Where can I find the info from Scumpunch? Thanks in advance.

• Scumpunch

RG Overall Ranking

@mskellett said...

I skip reading for one day and miss the most educational thing? Where can I find the info from Scumpunch? Thanks in advance.

lol, it wasn’t much, just an analytical explanation of why Craig Anderson was a great play yesterday. Not too relevant beyond yesterday’s slate, but I think it shows the type of analysis that should be done in order to really gain a real edge. It’s in yesterday’s NHL thread.

• keephustlincuz

@Scumpunch said...

lol, it wasn’t much, just an analytical explanation of why Craig Anderson was a great play yesterday. Not too relevant beyond yesterday’s slate, but I think it shows the type of analysis that should be done in order to really gain a real edge. It’s in yesterday’s NHL thread.

Link to yesterdays thread. https://rotogrinders.com/threads/nhl-11-11-1538799

Scum if you had to pick a goalie under 7600 on FD. Who do you like? I have cam there now.
    Need a cheap goalie to use with pit 1 and bos 2.

• TicketRaven

Just some of the best conversation and tips I’ve seen on here in a long time. Awesome forum – yes, we all need to still pick the right guys and teams, but this is helpful to make DFS NHL more fun. I hit NFL DFS on DK’s for $660 last week then NHL DFS on DK’s for $275 this week and there are about 15 nights in between that I have not done well at all. It is great to be a consistent winner, which I really don’t know a ton about, but even better to have fun and be competitive – that in itself makes playing and visiting this board worth the time. Good luck all.

• Scumpunch

RG Overall Ranking

@keephustlincuz said...

Link to yesterdays thread. https://rotogrinders.com/threads/nhl-11-11-1538799

Scum if you had to pick a goalie under 7600 on FD. Who do you like? I have cam there now.
    Need a cheap goalie to use with pit 1 and bos 2.

I don’t play on Fanduel, so I don’t know the nuances of the scoring system. That said, I would probably go Neuvirth if I had to go that low.

• awilson45

Kessel is criminally underpriced on DK

• yuda

FYI, Carrick scratched for Leafs tonight!

• yuda

Conflicting information on Leafs lines, too late now anyway. Looks like TOR2 will be the same but the rest are unknowns.

• bdvratoric

Love connor sheary fanning on a wide open net

• Zieg30

Nights like tonight are what bankroll management is for.

• atrain00

@Zieg30 said...

Nights like tonight are what bankroll management is for.

Hedge lineups***

• X Unread Thread
    • X Thread with New Replies*
    • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Use our links to sign up and deposit on sites listed in this thread to get these bonuses:

• FanDuel

Get 1-month of RotoGrinders Premium for FREE (a ~$40value) by signing up through one of our links!

Learn More
    • DraftKings

Sign up for DraftKings using a RotoGrinders link & receive our DraftKings Premium content FREE for 1 month. That’s a ~$40 value! No DraftKings promo code necessary!

Learn More
    • FantasyDraft

FantasyDraft strives to put players first, with a mission to “provide a fun and fair experience for all.” To this end, the site has a well-built, easy-to-use interface and a the first of its kind in offering “Rake-Free” fantasy contests.

Learn More

Subforum Index