NHL FORUM

• bhdevault

• Lead Moderator

• Blogger of the Month

Did you know we have a new chat area specifically for NHL? Come get in on some hockey talk or sweat the games by clicking the Chat radio button up above or by clicking here: https://rotogrinders.com/chat?channel=nhl..

7:05 PM :  Vegas ( 180 ) at  Boston ( -220 ) —- T: 180
    7:05 PM :  N.Y. Islanders ( 130 ) at  Washington ( -150 ) —- T: 130
    7:35 PM :  N.Y. Rangers ( 150 ) at  Tampa Bay ( -170 ) —- T: 150
    7:35 PM :  Columbus ( -120 ) at  Florida ( 100 ) —- T: -120
    7:35 PM :  Detroit ( 125 ) at  Ottawa ( -145 ) —- T: 125
    8:05 PM :  Philadelphia ( 155 ) at  St. Louis ( -175 ) —- T: 155
    8:05 PM :  Montreal ( 125 ) at  Minnesota ( -145 ) —- T: 125
    8:05 PM :  Dallas ( -105 ) at  Winnipeg ( -115 ) —- T: -105
    9:05 PM :  Pittsburgh ( 0 ) at  Calgary ( 0 ) —- T: 0
    9:05 PM :  Carolina ( -120 ) at  Colorado ( 100 ) —- T: -120
    10:05 PM :  Buffalo ( -115 ) at  Arizona ( -105 ) —- T: -115
    10:35 PM :  Toronto ( 0 ) at  Los Angeles ( 0 ) —- T: 0

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NHL strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterdays games will be moved to yesterdays NHL thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..

• hautalak

• x2

2021 Blogger of the Month

@Seahawktom said...

Maybe this is my inexperience talking here, but out of all the teams talked about as “chalky” tonight, I did not expect NYI to come up.

Might be recency bias but I have to ride the hot hand no matter the matchup. Washington isn’t great defensively IMO still.

• mathewsmarner

fla put up 5 goals in a losing effort to tampa bay, it’s not like they lost their scoring touch without jagr/marchessault, imagine how many goals they can put up with their next win, just don’t know who to target, seems like they’re pp point men on 1/2 is all that’s available which doesn’t suffice for close goals.

• Blahaaron

I am all set. Big spender here. I made 8 quarter jukebox teams. Good luck to everyone. Hope you all do very well!

• Zieg30

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #97

RG Tiered Ranking

• 2018 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

Boston, Wash, TB, Dallas, WPG, Calgary, LA, etc., all in prime spots. Going to be very hard to limit entries.

• hautalak

• x2

@Blahaaron said...

I am all set. Big spender here. I made 8 quarter jukebox teams. Good luck to everyone. Hope you all do very well!

Yep that’s about right for me tonight. I’ll only throw in a $4 lineup when I really like it or have been winning. I haven’t put together the lineups yet but have 3 lines I’m starting with.

• keephustlincuz

@Seahawktom said...

Maybe this is my inexperience talking here, but out of all the teams talked about as “chalky” tonight, I did not expect NYI to come up. Holtby seemed to right the ship last game, and now he’s got home ice and a powerful offense behind him that is bound for positive regression soon. And it’s not as if NYI has been beating up good teams lately, other than struggling Nashville. I’ll pass. I like the idea of stacking the Yotes so I can fit in BOS1 or TB1.

No way the ny islanders are gonna be chalk. Jt may carry slightly higher ownership as a one off.

If any team is chalk its tb.

• sizzlebeans

There isn’t a fade-able game on this slate. Going to be hard to not want to cover everything. Maybe for the better. I’ve been concentrating on 3 or 4 teams per slate and getting destroyed.

• keephustlincuz

@sizzlebeans said...

There isn’t a fade-able game on this slate. Going to be hard to not want to cover everything. Maybe for the better. I’ve been concentrating on 3 or 4 teams per slate and getting destroyed.

That’s why I think the ownership will be pretty spread out tonight. Too many good spots.

If you like a line…. play them and dont worry about ownership.

• Felixxberg

• 2019 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

• 2019 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

@hautalak said...

Yep that’s about right for me tonight. I’ll only throw in a $4 lineup when I really like it or have been winning. I haven’t put together the lineups yet but have 3 lines I’m starting with.

You (and Blahaaron) should try $4 contests on some nights! The thing with the quarter jukebox is that if you win it, you’ll bite your fingers for not entering the $4 contest. I know there is a big difference between a $2 investment and a $32 investment in proportion since it’s 16 times more (considering that Blahaaron said he entered 8 lineups), but in dollars it’s a $30 dollars difference, which isn’t that much.

At least, you could try my “strategy”. I almost never enter any contest higher than $6 in the main slate, but I enter between 1 and 3 $27 lineups (depending on how much I’m allowed to put) in Turbo and/or Late contests. Less risk and less investment than the main slate, but the rewards are still nice. For example, in tonight’s Late slate, there is a 3 entry max $3 contest with 198 entrants where the winner wins $50. It will cost you $9 instead of $2, but you have 1.52% chances of winning it compared to the quarter jukebox where your odds of winning are at 0.11% for the same top prize. It will cost you 4.5x more but your odds of winning the same amount are 13.8x better.

• mathewsmarner

fla line 1 heaviest, goalie is vasilevsky of tb, you have been warned.

• dyavid

@Felixxberg said...

You (and Blahaaron) should try $4 contests on some nights! The thing with the quarter jukebox is that if you win it, you’ll bite your fingers for not entering the $4 contest.

I’ve mentioned this here before but imo the best low dollar tournament to enter on DK is the $2 wrist shot. On a night like this it’s 891 entries with a top heavy payout of $300. the winning lineup is almost always 5-10pts less than the forecheck due limited entries.

Edit: just checked and its a bit smaller tonight. 594 entries with $200 payout for 1st.

• MakinItkane9

@hautalak said...

Love the slate today obviously so I put out a blog (here). It just goes over some of my favorite DK lines, goalies, defensemen, and value plays. Some of it is pretty obvious but there should be some lesser owned stuff in there as well. Hopefully it can help or at the very least make you consider something. Good luck on this great slate!

Great write up my dude.

• Benn91

Rask should not be trust.

• hautalak

• x2

@Felixxberg said...

You (and Blahaaron) should try $4 contests on some nights! The thing with the quarter jukebox is that if you win it, you’ll bite your fingers for not entering the $4 contest. I know there is a big difference between a $2 investment and a $32 investment in proportion since it’s 16 times more (considering that Blahaaron said he entered 8 lineups), but in dollars it’s a $30 dollars difference, which isn’t that much.

At least, you could try my “strategy”. I almost never enter any contest higher than $6 in the main slate, but I enter between 1 and 3 $27 lineups (depending on how much I’m allowed to put) in Turbo and/or Late contests. Less risk and less investment than the main slate, but the rewards are still nice. For example, in tonight’s Late slate, there is a 3 entry max $3 contest with 198 entrants where the winner wins $50. It will cost you $9 instead of $2, but you have 1.52% chances of winning it compared to the quarter jukebox where your odds of winning are at 0.11% for the same top prize. It will cost you 4.5x more but your odds of winning the same amount are 13.8x better.

I do try and play it when I can. I mentioned before it burned me because the short slate with the Kings L3 I won the QA but didn’t enter the $4 with that lineup. I picked the wrong one out of my 3 that night. It’s tough because I do play more money in NFL but those prize pools are worth it. I mean not that NHL isn’t, but I think you get my point.

I will look into better selecting contests. I used to play a lot more of the turbo/late slates but have moved away from it for whatever reason. Other sports are clouding my head too haha I play just about everything besides soccer and MMA.

• hautalak

• x2

@dyavid said...

I’ve mentioned this here before but imo the best low dollar tournament to enter on DK is the $2 wrist shot. On a night like this it’s 891 entries with a top heavy payout of $300. the winning lineup is almost always 5-10pts less than the forecheck due limited entries.

Edit: just checked and its a bit smaller tonight. 594 entries with $200 payout for 1st.

Yeah for some damn reason I get “rankings” in my head and think well if I’m not qualifying I might as well play more in the lower level entries.

My new goal after tonight will be better contest selection. I know it will help sustain the BR a lot better. Thanks for these tips!

• MakinItkane9

Not the biggest fan of price tonight. Minnesota needs a win and they just came of a tough home L to the jets. Think it could be a smash spot against the shitty canadiens

• hautalak

• x2

@MakinItkane9 said...

Great write up my dude.

Thank you! I appreciate it. But there’s really no wrong answer for this slate like everybody has mentioned.

• mathewsmarner

kronwall is your provorov of 3 days ago

• hautalak

• x2

@mathewsmarner said...

Well if he is take your money to the bank! Even as a Wings fan I can’t justifiably play him.

• sizzlebeans

@dyavid said...

That one usually has the lowest % of payouts (around 17% of the field) most nights, and the probability of taking first is usually lower than most of the other contests around it in price.

• Felixxberg

• 2019 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

• 2019 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

@hautalak said...

I do try and play it when I can. I mentioned before it burned me because the short slate with the Kings L3 I won the QA but didn’t enter the $4 with that lineup. I picked the wrong one out of my 3 that night. It’s tough because I do play more money in NFL but those prize pools are worth it. I mean not that NHL isn’t, but I think you get my point.

I will look into better selecting contests. I used to play a lot more of the turbo/late slates but have moved away from it for whatever reason. Other sports are clouding my head too haha I play just about everything besides soccer and MMA.

I get that when you play multiple sports, it’s a lot to research and verify before lock if you start entering Turbo and Late lineups!

For the main slate, I see that you already do a lot of research (nice blog by the way) so all that effort for a 0.11% chance (a little more since you do more research than others, but still) of getting away with $50 isn’t as nice as trying to go for the $3,000 top prize, or at least like dyavid says the $2 wrist shot where the top prize is 4 times better with about 12 times fewer entrants.

That being said, on a huge slate like tonight, the risk is definitely very high compared to yesterday, for example. For that reason, I would wait a for a smaller slate.

• futoo

@mathewsmarner said...

seems like he has a major knee issue

• futoo

smith-pelly still on ovies line?

• dyavid

@sizzlebeans said...

That one usually has the lowest % of payouts (around 17% of the field) most nights, and the probability of taking first is usually lower than most of the other contests around it in price.

The % payout is not why you would play this tournament, you are looking to come top 5 not a min cash. i’ve had success with this tournament taking it down 3 times and top 5 a few more times since i discovered it last january. Like i said its a top heavy payout tournament with limited total entries so it wont take as high of a score to win. When i won the first time i scored of 56 when the winner in the forecheck had 65 that night and i won $300 but would have won $50 in the forecheck.

• sizzlebeans

@futoo said...

smith-pelly still on ovies line?

has been for the last 2-3 games. he scored a goal his first game up there.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).