7:35 PM :  Dallas ( 120 ) at  Detroit ( -140 ) —- T: 120
    8:05 PM :  New Jersey ( 110 ) at  Winnipeg ( -130 ) —- T: 110
    8:35 PM :  Florida ( 130 ) at  Chicago ( -150 ) —- T: 130
    9:05 PM :  Nashville ( -135 ) at  Colorado ( 115 ) —- T: -135
    9:05 PM :  Toronto ( 135 ) at  Edmonton ( -155 ) —- T: 135
    10:05 PM :  Montreal ( 100 ) at  Anaheim ( -120 ) —- T: 100
    10:05 PM :  Minnesota ( -150 ) at  Vancouver ( 130 ) —- T: -150
    10:05 PM :  Arizona ( 190 ) at  San Jose ( -230 ) —- T: 190

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NBA strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterdays games will be moved to yesterdays NBA thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted. Please make it a point to say if you’re talking about Cash or GPP options.

• TicketRaven

Goalies I like:

Ward
    Mason
    C. Anderson
    Helly
    Gibson
    Jones

• Ross
    @TicketRaven said...

Some very good points in here. Thanks Heterodox.

I agree. Good stuff @Heterodox

• TicketRaven

Lately this has helped me on FD NHL.

Everytime I start a lineup, I pick a $2 50/50 contest or a $2 Tourney 1-100 players and start to create a lineup.
    Then when I am finished with that lineup – I will then select a head-to-head or GPP “one-entry” game.

This helps me be a little smarter with my bankroll. This way – I always know that with every lineup I enter, it starts with a decent percentage of getting dollars back in the more conservative cash games.

• TicketRaven

I also love to play 50 lineups for 25 cents. I don’t do that much anymore, just because the 200 lineups for 25 cents last year gave me wild success. Now – things aren’t as profitable in GPP’s on DK’s with the max 50 lineup entry. I also find that time doesn’t permit me to get in on the good paying 25 cents GPP’s because if I select my players for GPP DK’s 25 cents entry at 50 lineups – by the time I select my players and do all the homework – it is 5pm EST and I miss entering the good price pool because it filled at 4pm. Urgh!

• deejones49

@TicketRaven said...

Lately this has helped me on FD NHL.

Everytime I start a lineup, I pick a $2 50/50 contest or a $2 Tourney 1-100 players and start to create a lineup.
    Then when I am finished with that lineup – I will then select a head-to-head or GPP “one-entry” game.

This helps me be a little smarter with my bankroll. This way – I always know that with every lineup I enter, it starts with a decent percentage of getting dollars back in the more conservative cash games.

You got me heads up today thanks in advance for the money!

• TacoCatOP

Cheap defenders for GPP tonight?

• TicketRaven

On DK’s I have learned to pick any game in NHL – make a lineup at 10am EST with all “injured” players so the lineup displays “red” when I go back after 5pm to work on after I do all my homework during the day on and off.

I then will open that lineup with about 25 cents plays, single entry plays, $2 GPP plays, $1 gpp plays, etc. then make 10 different break outs of that “injured” lineup. Then I don’t miss any of the single entry – good GPP and tourneys. I already entered them all before 10am.

• Olhausen

@Heterodox said...

I’ve noticed Olhasuen on here talking a lot about the .25 winner take all contests. My approach this season has been to max enter the QA, as a less costly and more fun alternative to just putting 10 or however many lineups I can afford in the Sniper. The QA has 7k entries, with a $50 top prize. The $0.25 winner take alls have 235 people, with a $50 prize. No-brainer. The benefits are myriad. It’s a great way to hedge, it gives you more upside on nights when your lineups do OK but not great, since the winner take alls generally have much lower winning scores. It’s just a perfect complement.

I hope everyone listens to him, and me, and starts playing them. The one posted now is a little more than half full. It would be awesome if we could get enough people to play them that they start posting more or they fill faster so more will open up.

And TicketRaven, no, there aren’t a lot of “dollar and a dream” contests for NHL. Or any, really. My best night last season I took 2nd (tenth of a point out of 1st, for the record), 11th, and I think 17th in the Sniper, which was good for like $1800. MLB is much bigger, but a similar night in that sport only got me about $400 more.

Those are great scores for someone like me, but the work that went into it, and the amount I played before I got there, and the torture of having only 10 or so lineups, so if anything went sideways it was pretty much a busted night, or even when things went well it wasn’t enough or it was a right players/wrong combinations type of thing, and knowing that it could be a very very long time before anything like that happens again, even if I don’t make the kind of mistakes that I often make, prompted me to change the way I play. I have much more fun putting 50 lineups in the QA, and I don’t mind the lower payouts. I’m doing much much better than I ever did the old way.

I always looked at the large fields and lower prizes and thought “eh, what’s the point,” but that was before I got over my dogmatic aversion to max entering contests. You can still have big nights, just not huge, and even though the field size is often huge in the QA, I think you will find that you cash more often with more lineups and do better overall than you would do in single entry, or with a handful of lineups in contests with higher payouts.

I completely agree with you on this. I use to be so concerned with my RG rankings and I even got up to 46th in the flyweight division at one point. But honestly I was losing overall and started realizing the rankings are vary flawed and even more so since they started only tracking contests with 10k or more prize pool and no cash games. I now only play 7 lineup’s on DK and only the 1$ one timer plus the winner take all 25 cents and 1$ games. I do play 2 or 3 lineup’s in the breakaway on fan duel but that’s it. Last season I was ranked 170th in NHL yet I was a losing player at the end the hockey season. This season I’m ranked 1,500 or so but I’m up about 300$ so I’ll take that over having a badge next to my name that a bunch of people I don’t know can see.

Edit: I must add that I was actually getting ready to play in the sniper again this season as I was building my bankroll up. But literally the day I was going to start playing it again DK decided to push all their 3$ Gpp’s up to 4$ basically pricing me out of those. 7 lineup’s for 21$ compared to 7 lineup’s for 28$ adds up quickly if you don’t have a big bankroll. So like heterodox said I’d rather play in the small quarter games as I’ve had much more success.

• Olhausen

@TicketRaven said...

On DK’s I have learned to pick any game in NHL – make a lineup at 10am EST with all “injured” players so the lineup displays “red” when I go back after 5pm to work on after I do all my homework during the day on and off.

I then will open that lineup with about 25 cents plays, single entry plays, $2 GPP plays, $1 gpp plays, etc. then make 10 different break outs of that “injured” lineup. Then I don’t miss any of the single entry – good GPP and tourneys. I already entered them all before 10am.

This exactly. I enter dummy lineup’s by hitting the price button and reversing it from most expensive players to cheapest players. I then just fill every position with cheap or injured players and then come back and build my lineup’s after research is done.

• TicketRaven

Anyone see value picks:
    Maybe . . . Theodore, Fast, Schaller, Czarnik, Carrier, Fedun, Forsling, Schmaltz or others?

• DirtysBurgers

@Heterodox said...

I’m done with the 10-mans and single entry. I’ll max enter the QA until I have enough money to start maxing the $1. And I only bother to post this because I’ve become convinced that this is the best bet for anyone playing small like I have been the last couple years.

I have had a really good year giving up cash games completely and putting 6-8 entries into the $3-4 contests in baseball and hockey. The key for me was to stop swimming in the shark infested cash game waters. I don’t know that I have the patience to put together 50 good lineups, but maybe I will try out this QA strategy.

• TicketRaven

Wow – that is very close to how I approach the games too. Good luck.
    I am in New York, so yes, I had to stop playing last March and then got back in August when they lifted the NYS ban.
    The rankings are very misleading on RotoGrinders and the way they are calculated don’t seem to truly represent “all” players.

If you play a single GPP game at $1 and finish 126th out of 20,000 people – you get a nice ranking and move up a bit.
    If a guy plays 150 GPP games at $1 and finishes 149 of the contest entries at 15,000 or worse, but finishes 1 lineup out of the 150 in 127th place. He gets the ranking for that play. Lol – not exactly the most mathematically advanced ranking system on planet earth that’s for sure.

• TicketRaven

Also – creating 100 lineups or more after you do the homework and write down all the players you want – then upload the 100 lineups – enter a $1 GPP and just select the 15 or 20 lineups you like – that is also a good strategy. At least in my opinion.
    In NFL I do this and have done well.

• savedatmoneyquan

Anyone Like Honka on DK for cash?

• keephustlincuz

Anyone have news on palat?

• deejones49

I got some $1 and $2 heads up on FD if anyone wants to get beat tonight

• elctrceye

• Blogger of the Month

@keephustlincuz said...

Anyone have news on palat?

should be good to go
    Joe Smith ‏@TBTimes_JSmith 5h5 hours ago
    Point on wall on PP with Johnson, Filppula, Palat (in front) and Nesterov. PP2 is Kucherov, Drouin, Hedman, Killorn, Namestnikov

• keephustlincuz

@elctrceye said...

should be good to go
    Joe Smith ‏@TBTimes_JSmith 5h5 hours ago
    Point on wall on PP with Johnson, Filppula, Palat (in front) and Nesterov. PP2 is Kucherov, Drouin, Hedman, Killorn, Namestnikov

Thanks.

• keephustlincuz

@deejones49 said...

I got some $1 and $2 heads up on FD if anyone wants to get beat tonight

You haven’t been around much dee. I’ll donate.

• julieduke33

I don’t see buffalo play much, is Fedun playable on FD at 3100 Or is his recent scoring a mirage??? I know he has decent offensive numbers from the AHL..debating Martin Jones /Fedun or Hellebuck/ 4K or less Dman…

• bdvratoric

Lets go Cam ward

• deejones49

@julieduke33 said...

I don’t see buffalo play much, is Fedun playable on FD at 3100 Or is his recent scoring a mirage??? I know he has decent offensive numbers from the AHL..debating Martin Jones /Fedun or Hellebuck/ 4K or less Dman…

Fedun is a good play tonight

• choppadown

Banking on some Carey Price magic tonight. Hate the Habs. But let’s go Habs?

• deejones49

@keephustlincuz said...

You haven’t been around much dee. I’ll donate.

Every dollar helps

• bdvratoric

So is pitlick on EDM1 and PP1?

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).