• Blogger of the Month

7:05 PM :  Los Angeles ( 110 ) at  Washington ( -130 ) —- T: 110
    7:35 PM :  Montreal ( 0 ) at  Detroit ( 0 ) —- T: 0
    8:05 PM :  Vancouver ( 170 ) at  Nashville ( -200 ) —- T: 170
    8:05 PM :  Vegas ( 145 ) at  Minnesota ( -165 ) —- T: 145
    8:35 PM :  Dallas ( 130 ) at  Chicago ( -150 ) —- T: 130
    9:05 PM :  Arizona ( 175 ) at  Calgary ( -210 ) —- T: 175
    9:05 PM :  Toronto ( -110 ) at  Edmonton ( -110 ) —- T: -110

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NHL strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterdays games will be moved to yesterdays NHL thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..

• zachrob2k

Question for you guys. How does Washington usually stack against their opponents? It’s kind of all over the place on Natural Stat Trick. Does their first line usually just cover opposing 1’s or do they use a shutdown line against opposing 1’s?

• PhoFever

Refreshing slate tonight after last night’s . Back to the well with CGY1, NASH1; throwing in some VGK2, MIN1 and definitely some Auston Matthews one-offs.

• Scumpunch

RG Overall Ranking

@zachrob2k said...

Question for you guys. How does Washington usually stack against their opponents? It’s kind of all over the place on Natural Stat Trick. Does their first line usually just cover opposing 1’s or do they use a shutdown line against opposing 1’s?

They always match Orlov and Niskanen against the opposing team’s best line. For forwards, they were using the Backstrom line as their “shutdown” line, but since Backstrom and Ovie have been put back together (2 home games), and they haven’t line matched much at all.

• zachrob2k

@Scumpunch said...

They always match Orlov and Niskanen against the opposing team’s best line. For forwards, they were using the Backstrom line as their “shutdown” line, but since Backstrom and Ovie have been put back together (2 home games), and they haven’t line matched much at all.

Gotcha, thank you so much.

• KindGuy

What resources do you guys use to predict which lines will matchup with each other? I guess I could just play Tarasenko and McDavid every slate but then I miss out on some value due to good matchups. Thanks in advance…..

• sizzlebeans

@elementasrat said...

What resources do you guys use to predict which lines will matchup with each other? I guess I could just play Tarasenko and McDavid every slate but then I miss out on some value due to good matchups. Thanks in advance…..

DailyFaceOff.com has a line matching article behind a paywall. Otherwise, you can use Natural Stat Trick .com or Left Wing Lock .com to do the research yourself. Home team gets last change, so you want to pull data for how home teams match opponent’s top lines. More often than not, the home team will get their top scoring line out vs weaker competition and use their best defensive line (sometimes can be the top line as well) against the opponent’s top scoring line. Most of the time, it’s safe to play a top line at home, and a second line on the road if you don’t want to do the research.

• Scumpunch

RG Overall Ranking

I like to look at the 5v5 matchup charts on hockeyviz.com.
    Here’s an example for a recent Leafs home game:
    http://www.hockeyviz.com/game/2017020348/matchups
    Clearly, in this game, the Kadri line matched up with the Backstrom line, Matthews line with the Kuznetsov line, and Bozak line with the 3rd and 4th lines.

• zachrob2k

@elementasrat said...

So every day I start out by looking at team matchups at Corsica.Hockey. I look at a team’s CF/60, CA/60, xGF/60 and xGA/60. I identify what are the best matchups on the slate and then I go from there. I then pretty much do what Daily Faceoff does in the line matching article but you can do it for free. I write down all the lines from Daily Faceoff, then I go to Natural Stat Trick to check game logs to see how home teams match up their lines (Daily Faceoff has a video out on how to specifically do this.), then I write down the matchups. Then I stay at Natural Stat Trick to look at individual line breakdowns.

So for example, I looked at Montreal’s 1st line against Detroit’s 3rd line (their shutdown line). I went to Philip Danault’s page on Natural Stat Trick and his linemates to look at the line’s CF%, SF%, SCF%, and HDCF%. Then I compare it to Detroit’s line. If one line has a significant advantage in these metrics, then I want to use this line in DFS. If I’m on a line, I usually use their Powerplay QB for defenders.

It may not be the best option out there, but so far I’ve done pretty well for the amount of time I have available to research. This way you aren’t just going out there thinking that every team uses their first line to match up against their opposing first line. Again, don’t think this is the best way to go about things, it’s just how I do it. Hockey is such a random sport where you just kind of have to embrace the randomness and stick by your process if you like it enough, with the confidence that over time you’ll be profitable.

Hopefully this answers your question.

• Blahaaron

Big news this morning.

Zibanejad has a concussion.

Vatanen traded to NJ for Henrique and Blandisi.

Derek Dorsett retired from hockey at doctors order.

Weber likely back tonight.

Talbot put on IR.

• small1dawg

Drouin out tonight as well

• Blahaaron

Wut. Shea Theodore went from 3100 to 4000 in 2 games where he got 3 or less pts in each. This is because everyone was plugging him in their lineup. Now he isn’t much of a value player anymore. There is just other players who get more pts on a nightly basis that are cheaper

• Blahaaron

I can’t fit CGy1 and VGK1 on a lineup anymore. Their price went up too. Grr!

• sholden

Gonna throw in some MIN2/PP1 tonight

• Blahaaron

Anyone have guesses to which game will have high scoring?

• PhoFever

@Blahaaron said...

Anyone have guesses to which game will have high scoring?

The eternal question, isn’t it.

My guess is TOR/EDM and MIN/VGK if you’re talking about both sides; I’m looking at both CGY and NSH to win comfortably. But who knows… last night STL was supposed to be a sure thing.

On a side note, I’ve noticed that for the last three weeks, just about every DFS “picks” site likes to recommend Coyotes whenever they play. Just not getting it. Sure, the Yotes have played a lot better lately, but still, over the last 12 games, they’ve scored more than 3 goals only twice, and one of those games (@TOR) they had two empty netters. Maybe it’s because they are always cheap…or maybe it’s just a hipster pick (“I was picking the Coyotes BEFORE they became a DFS juggernaut…”)

• Avsrick

yeah, I like the 2 late games to produce the most offense.

• Blahaaron

The NHL app wont alert me to trades but it will tell me to vote on one of their dumb polls 🙄

• Blahaaron

@Seahawktom said...

The eternal question, isn’t it.

My guess is TOR/EDM and MIN/VGK if you’re talking about both sides; I’m looking at both CGY and NSH to win comfortably. But who knows… last night STL was supposed to be a sure thing.

On a side note, I’ve noticed that for the last three weeks, just about every DFS “picks” site likes to recommend Coyotes whenever they play. Just not getting it. Sure, the Yotes have played a lot better lately, but still, over the last 12 games, they’ve scored more than 3 goals only twice, and one of those games (@TOR) they had two empty netters. Maybe it’s because they are always cheap…or maybe it’s just a hipster pick (“I was picking the Coyotes BEFORE they became a DFS juggernaut…”)

Good guesses. Kings dont let many pucks in. But I have a WSH top 6 stack anyway.

• small1dawg

@Blahaaron said...

Good guesses. Kings dont let many pucks in. But I have a WSH top 6 stack anyway.

WSH running hot but tough match up like you said

• bdvratoric

@small1dawg said...

WSH running hot but tough match up like you said

I think these are the best nights to use OV. Tough match up, other wingers in the price range in better match ups, and he has just as much of a chance to go off considering who he is.

• KindGuy

7 game slate and this thread hasn’t gone past 1 page? Yikes.

• Blahaaron

What does everyone think about Chicago and Dallas? Some are saying this will be a high scoring game.

• Canuckage

@Blahaaron said...

What does everyone think about Chicago and Dallas? Some are saying this will be a high scoring game.

On paper, yes but it’s the hockey so everything goes :P

• Zieg30

@Blahaaron said...

I think it’s completely up in the air. I figured Dallas AT Vegas was going to be high scoring, too, but Dallas shut things down.

I’ll have some limited exposure to Dallas, and some VERY limited exposure to Vegas.

• KindGuy

For those of you who have done line matching research, how do CGY2 and EDM2 look tonight?

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Use our links to sign up and deposit on sites listed in this thread to get these bonuses:

• FanDuel

Get 1-month of RotoGrinders Premium for FREE (a ~$40value) by signing up through one of our links!

Learn More
  • DraftKings

Sign up for DraftKings using a RotoGrinders link & receive our DraftKings Premium content FREE for 1 month. That’s a ~$40 value! No DraftKings promo code necessary!

Learn More
  • FantasyDraft

FantasyDraft strives to put players first, with a mission to “provide a fun and fair experience for all.” To this end, the site has a well-built, easy-to-use interface and a the first of its kind in offering “Rake-Free” fantasy contests.

Learn More

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week. Our goal is to help all of our members make more money playing daily fantasy sports!

Bet with your head, not over it!
Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-Gambler