Comments

• bhdevault

• Lead Moderator

• Blogger of the Month

7:05 PM :  Dallas ( 105 ) at  N.Y. Islanders ( -125 ) —- T: 105
    7:05 PM :  N.Y. Rangers ( 0 ) at  Ottawa ( 0 ) —- T: 0
    8:05 PM :  Boston ( -145 ) at  Detroit ( 125 ) —- T: -145
    10:05 PM :  Nashville ( -135 ) at  Vancouver ( 115 ) —- T: -135

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NHL strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterdays games will be moved to yesterdays NHL thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..

• PhoFever

About the only thing I’m certain of in tonight’s ugly slate is having Brock Boeser for bedtime lineup security. Might be a night of one-offs and mini stacks to cover the field.

Who the heck to go with at goalie? Messy! Howard has been playing better. Dallas, with their wacky lines, hasn’t been quite the juggernaut on offense soI guess Halak is in play too, wobbly as he may seem. Henrik and Rinne just seem like traps to me, particularly Henrik, who is very capable of putting up a -5 points in between stellar starts. Anderson? Markstrom?

• wmccullough10

New to the NHL DFS Scene. I think I’m going to start line stacking, seems to be what the pros do. Is there a resource that has good info on line performance? Or do you have to do it player by player? Thanks!

• Zieg30

RG Overall Ranking

• 2018 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

@Seahawktom said...

About the only thing I’m certain of in tonight’s ugly slate is having Brock Boeser for bedtime lineup security. Might be a night of one-offs and mini stacks to cover the field.

Who the heck to go with at goalie? Messy! Howard has been playing better. Dallas, with their wacky lines, hasn’t been quite the juggernaut on offense soI guess Halak is in play too, wobbly as he may seem. Henrik and Rinne just seem like traps to me, particularly Henrik, who is very capable of putting up a -5 points in between stellar starts. Anderson? Markstrom?

It’s an extremely difficult 4 game slate tonight. I’m gravitating towards Dallas, but you’re right that those lines are subpar and they’re certainly not putting up the offense they did last season. Goalie is a complete coin flip, as the three top goalies of the night are on the road.

• StPaulMick

@wmccullough10 said...

New to the NHL DFS Scene. I think I’m going to start line stacking, seems to be what the pros do. Is there a resource that has good info on line performance? Or do you have to do it player by player? Thanks!

Line assignments are fluid enough that you basically have to check during the afternoon to make sure they haven’t been shuffled around. If you are stacking a complete set of three forwards, take only the first line or second line—until you have a good feel for which “depth lines” (a team’s third or fourth lines) are worthwhile, anything deeper than a given team’s first or second lines is, in my opinion, getting a little too cute. The notation for line assignments on these boards and others is MIN1, STL2, LAK1, etc.

In terms of checking on a line’s performance, start by looking at an individual skater or two who you want to attack. Say you think that V. Tarasenko is in a position to have a favorable match-up. Since there are primary and secondary assists for most goals scored, it’s good odds that, if Tarasenko scores, one of his linemates will be in on the assist. In the best case, both are. Of course there are times the assist will come from a defenceman, or that the goal may have been scored whilst in the midst of a line change when half of the subsequent line is on the ice. Defensive pairings are not correlated to forward lines, btw. It’s a complete hit or miss on that for the most part.

Your question is actually a pretty deep one, and one that there really isn’t a quick answer for. When you talk about line performance, there are indicators, such as plus/minus, but in reality that number is a function of a few other factors other than just if the players on a given line are good dfs plays or not.

Another consideration is that there are a few teams who have entire second lines which would be first lines on others. Other teams might bury a really good skater down on the third line in order to balance things out.

tl:dr Take first or second lines that are also on the team’s first or second power play unit (PP1, PP2) from a team you think will win by a large margin.

• sizzlebeans

@Zieg30 said...

It’s an extremely difficult 4 game slate tonight. I’m gravitating towards Dallas, but you’re right that those lines are subpar and they’re certainly not putting up the offense they did last season. Goalie is a complete coin flip, as the three top goalies of the night are on the road.

I’m thinking tonight is a 3 LU night. Josh stack both sides of the NYI/DAL and then do a game stack. Ignore the rest of the slate.

• sizzlebeans

@wmccullough10 said...

Daily Face Off .com has a “Line Matching” article that is a pretty good resource. Adam will provide stats for each forward line and each line that line faces. It’s premium content, but is worth the $20/mo, IMO. I do a team level analysis, then go over there to read his line analysis to get a better feel for which lines I want to use.

• Felixxberg

• 2019 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

• 2019 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

I won’t quote StPaulMick’s answer because it’s long but I’ll add some comments:

The only time I think 3rd or 4th lines are worth it is on very short slates (ie. 2 or 3 games), because it’s a good way to differentiate from the mass.

For line performance, you can go on dailyfaceoff.com, where you have line combinations for every team. It’s not always up to date but the guy(s) who run(s) it is/are pretty quick at updating it. When you click on a team’s logo, you’ll be redirected to a page where you can see the line combinations as small images showing the back of every player’s jersey. You can switch to “Stats” (above the first line center, you have a choice between “Jerseys” and “Stats”). Then, you have a choice between “Last 5”, “Last 10” and “Year”.

If you want to know a player’s splits (ie. home vs away), I recommend hockey-reference.com. I think you have to go player by player though.

There’s also the good old technique (which I use) of clicking on the player’s image on the DK app and then looking at his game log. It’s a quick way to see his past games’ stats. Tyler Seguin, for example, has 7, 5, 6 and 7 shots on goal in his last 4 games, without scoring a goal. He has a ton of TOI and normally scores a goal every 2 games (approx.), so I would say he is due.

For picking Ds, I look at TOI. If a D is playing 25 minutes per game, he should shoot, block shots and have assists here and there.

• PhoFever

@StPaulMick said...

Line assignments are fluid enough that you basically have to check during the afternoon to make sure they haven’t been shuffled around. If you are stacking a complete set of three forwards, take only the first line or second line—until you have a good feel for which “depth lines” (a team’s third or fourth lines) are worthwhile, anything deeper than a given team’s first or second lines is, in my opinion, getting a little too cute. The notation for line assignments on these boards and others is MIN1, STL2, LAK1, etc.

In terms of checking on a line’s performance, start by looking at an individual skater or two who you want to attack. Say you think that V. Tarasenko is in a position to have a favorable match-up. Since there are primary and secondary assists for most goals scored, it’s good odds that, if Tarasenko scores, one of his linemates will be in on the assist. In the best case, both are. Of course there are times the assist will come from a defenceman, or that the goal may have been scored whilst in the midst of a line change when half of the subsequent line is on the ice. Defensive pairings are not correlated to forward lines, btw. It’s a complete hit or miss on that for the most part.

Your question is actually a pretty deep one, and one that there really isn’t a quick answer for. When you talk about line performance, there are indicators, such as plus/minus, but in reality that number is a function of a few other factors other than just if the players on a given line are good dfs plays or not.

Another consideration is that there are a few teams who have entire second lines which would be first lines on others. Other teams might bury a really good skater down on the third line in order to balance things out.

tl:dr Take first or second lines that are also on the team’s first or second power play unit (PP1, PP2) from a team you think will win by a large margin.

Don’t forget that it can also be useful to target quality 2nd lines on the road. This is because the team with home ice gets to make the “last change” after a stoppage of play, i.e., they get to see what line the road team is sending out for the next few minutes, and then “match” that line with their preferred players. Often, when the road team sends out the 1’s, the home team will respond by sticking them with their best defenders. This means that sometimes the road 2’s will find themselves with a softer matchup.

A good example was TB from last night’s matchup, in which their L2 outscored their star-studded L1.

• Blahaaron

Check out the negatives on the Stone, Brassard and Smith line.-3s and -2s up the wazoo. Whichever NYR line gets them is gonna score a few.

• Felixxberg

And yes, once you know the basic stats, the Line Matching article is the best way to confirm or infirm your thoughts. Sometimes, a good line is playing against a good defensive line, so it shouldn’t do much. An average line can also score a lot against a weak defensive line.

• PhoFever

@sizzlebeans said...

I’m thinking tonight is a 3 LU night. Josh stack both sides of the NYI/DAL and then do a game stack. Ignore the rest of the slate.

Yup, my thoughts exactly sans the game stack. 3rd lineup for me is going to be one-offs with guys who shoot a lot.

• wmccullough10

Thank you for all the responses! This is going to help tremendously. Hopefully I’ll be able to get a good system going.

• Blahaaron

@Seahawktom said...

Yup, my thoughts exactly sans the game stack. 3rd lineup for me is going to be one-offs with guys who shoot a lot.

Boeser is gonna be the heaviest owned tonight and tonight is when he doesn’t score because that’s how it seems to work.

• sizzlebeans

@Felixxberg said...

You can switch to “Stats” (above the first line center, you have a choice between “Jerseys” and “Stats”). Then, you have a choice between “Last 5”, “Last 10” and “Year”.

All this time, and I’ve never seen this option. Thanks for pointing it out!

• Felixxberg

Still not busy at work, so here we go:

Bishop away: 4-6-0, .885, 3.55
    Halak home: 5-1-0, .924, 2.39

Lundqvist away: 3-4-0, .915, 3.26
    Anderson home: 4-5-3, .892, 3.20

Rask away: 1-4-1, .906, 2.72
    Howard home: 5-6-4, .896, 3.08

Rinne away: 5-3-1, .938, 2.12 OR Saros away: 2-2-1, .911, 2.93
    Markstrom home: 4-6-2, .923, 2.33

EDIT: Lehtonen away: 3-3-1, .919, 2.11
    EDIT #2: Nilsson home: 1-0-1, .897, 2.94

• mstutts2799

All the Barzal as usual

• keephustlincuz

Those are some crazy Dallas lines.

• Felixxberg

@keephustlincuz said...

Those are some crazy Dallas lines.

I like Seguin and Benn but not their lines. The most balanced one is Radulov – Spezza – Janmark, but I think I might go with a PP stack (I never do that) of Shore – Seguin – Benn.

• Felixxberg

@Felixxberg said...

I like Seguin and Benn but not their lines. The most balanced one is Radulov – Spezza – Janmark, but I think I might go with a PP stack (I never do that) of Shore – Seguin – Benn.

Or Radulov – Seguin – Benn just because they are the best players on that team.

• MakinItkane9

@Felixxberg said...

Still not busy at work, so here we go:

Bishop away: 4-6-0, .885, 3.55
    Halak home: 5-1-0, .924, 2.39

Lundqvist away: 3-4-0, .915, 3.26
    Anderson home: 4-5-3, .892, 3.20

Rask away: 1-4-1, .906, 2.72
    Howard home: 5-6-4, .896, 3.08

Rinne away: 5-3-1, .938, 2.12 OR Saros away: 2-2-1, .911, 2.93
    Markstrom home: 4-6-2, .923, 2.33

EDIT: Lehtonen away: 3-3-1, .919, 2.11

Diggen markstrom tonight vancouver is on a skid. I like the seguin call tonight

• Felixxberg

I have Adam’s punt line all over! Thanks for the article. Tonight, it confirms my thoughts.

• Felixxberg

@MakinItkane9 said...

Diggen markstrom tonight vancouver is on a skid. I like the seguin call tonight

I put an edit at the end of the post (Lehtonen). I like Seguin a lot but somehow he’s not in my lineups. I prefer to stack lines so I’ll just hope he doesn’t do much.

• MakinItkane9

@Felixxberg said...

I put an edit at the end of the post (Lehtonen). I like Seguin a lot but somehow he’s not in my lineups. I prefer to stack lines so I’ll just hope he doesn’t do much.

Hopefully you dont regret this! lol

• MakinItkane9

@sizzlebeans said...

All this time, and I’ve never seen this option. Thanks for pointing it out!

ty for putting the team level analysis on twitter!

• Blahaaron

My lotto obsessed cousin told me draft kings is a bad kind of gambling and i shouldn’t do it. Meanwhile they have *five tix for tonight’s ontario49

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).