NHL FORUM

Comments

• bhdevault

• Lead Moderator

• Blogger of the Month

7:05 PM :  Anaheim ( 0 ) at  New Jersey ( 0 ) —- T: —
    8:05 PM :  Colorado ( 0 ) at Chicago ( 0 ) —- T: —
    8:35 PM : Edmonton ( 0 ) at  St. Louis ( 0 ) —- T: —

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NHL strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterday’s games will be moved to yesterday’s NHL thread. Any off topic posts, troll posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted. While the use of GIF’s are acceptable, content must be posted along with them.

• PocketsSloppy

DK $1 – 30 Player – Top 5 Results

sizzlebeans – 135.6
    OttawacityMadman – 135.1
    sirrobert6 – 127.9
    mattspot10 – 121.5
    jstunna34 – 102.2

• PocketsSloppy

DK $1 – 25 Player – Top 5 (12/18 – 7:00 PM)

https://www.draftkings.com/draft/contest/83212421

• ifthethunder

@PocketsSloppy said...

DK $1 – 25 Player – Top 5 (12/18 – 7:00 PM)

https://www.draftkings.com/draft/contest/83212421

Just three games. And I like it!
    ~

• ifthethunder

I’m wondering how many Avalanche players are too many and so far, my answer is “more than five skaters plus Philipp Grubauer might be too many.”
    ~

• mr_papageorgio

At first glance I’m liking COL2 tonight. I also wonder if the Devils play better now that the Hall drama is over.

I broke my DFS slump in NBA last night so I’m hoping that’s the start of a good run!

• ifthethunder

@mr_papageorgio said...

At first glance I’m liking COL2 tonight. I also wonder if the Devils play better now that the Hall drama is over.

I broke my DFS slump in NBA last night so I’m hoping that’s the start of a good run!

Congrats! I’ve actually finished first and second in the forum roundball contest the last two nights. In spite of it being the sport I watch the least.
    ~

• alyeska_skibum

@mr_papageorgio said...

I also wonder if the Devils play better now that the Hall drama is over

They have much bigger problems than Hall…….

• Felixxberg

• 2019 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

• 2019 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

Since I can’t lose forever, I’ll just play one $10 lottery ticket every night just for fun and that’s it! If I hit $1K+, maybe I’ll start playing again.

• tyman200

You having a tough season as well Felix? You were crushing it last year if I recall. Not sure if it’s the new scoring or just plain variance but I am having a tough year as well. Made 4k profit last season playing NHL DFS but not having near as much success this year. Gotta keep grinding I guess.

• Felixxberg

@tyman200 said...

You having a tough season as well Felix? You were crushing it last year if I recall. Not sure if it’s the new scoring or just plain variance but I am having a tough year as well. Made 4k profit last season playing NHL DFS but not having near as much success this year. Gotta keep grinding I guess.

Yep, and I know it’s the same for the_shashi. I assume ycmmat is having a rough season too (but he did well lately). I had a crazy good year last season, but now I just can’t get my groove on and there’s a limit to what I can absorb.

New scoring adds randomness, and contests are more top heavy than ever. Even the guys who always crushed it don’t crush anymore. You can’t expect to win a 6K entrant GPP every week.

The last 6K entrant $10 GPP on resultsDB is last Thursday. It’s a 150 max, so $1.5K to max enter. 15 guys had 150 lineups, 2 had 100, 6 had between 50 and 100. In all of them, only 2 made the top 20. bric75 had 3 in the top 20 for $2.2K, while IBYCFOTA had 1 for $500. Awesemo is next at 24th for $80. It means that out of the 23 guys who had 50+ entries, there’s probably only one who made money, and he didn’t make that much.

In the past week, I cashed only twice out of 7 days. The average player cashes about 20-25% of the time (with one lineup). 2/7 is fine, but my cashes were $10 in/$15 out and $20 in/$30 out. It didn’t even cover the next day.

Top heavy contests are popular, but they will kill DFS. Every mass enterer will leave soon enough and then DK will miss them.

• mattspot10

Hopefully Mr. DK rep is listening to all of the threads on here calling for flatter payouts across all sports and contests.

• SA16

Top heavy GPPS are bad so instead come play H2H contests

• mr_papageorgio

@Felixxberg said...

Yep, and I know it’s the same for the_shashi. I assume ycmmat is having a rough season too (but he did well lately). I had a crazy good year last season, but now I just can’t get my groove on and there’s a limit to what I can absorb.

New scoring adds randomness, and contests are more top heavy than ever. Even the guys who always crushed it don’t crush anymore. You can’t expect to win a 6K entrant GPP every week.

The last 6K entrant $10 GPP on resultsDB is last Thursday. It’s a 150 max, so $1.5K to max enter. 15 guys had 150 lineups, 2 had 100, 6 had between 50 and 100. In all of them, only 2 made the top 20. bric75 had 3 in the top 20 for $2.2K, while IBYCFOTA had 1 for $500. Awesemo is next at 24th for $80. It means that out of the 23 guys who had 50+ entries, there’s probably only one who made money, and he didn’t make that much.

In the past week, I cashed only twice out of 7 days. The average player cashes about 20-25% of the time (with one lineup). 2/7 is fine, but my cashes were $10 in/$15 out and $20 in/$30 out. It didn’t even cover the next day.

Top heavy contests are popular, but they will kill DFS. Every mass enterer will leave soon enough and then DK will miss them.

I’ve also been struggling with NHL this season but this is a fantastic point for all sports. It’s been said before in here and I think in other forums but I’m convinced that the only way to actually make money in DFS is to focus on single entry/smaller field contests (which are usually higher stakes). I always throw my LU for those into the big lottery contest for the day just in case but I’ve had numerous examples where my LU that won 50x+ in a single entry only won 4-5x in the lottery contest. Great example from NBA last night: I won the $200 (60x), got 9th in the $40 SE (12x), and that same LU cashed for only 5x in the big $10 GPP.

• Felixxberg

@SA16 said...

Top heavy GPPS are bad so instead come play H2H contests

I know I’m not good at those. I still have a GPP mind even if I don’t play much anymore!

• Felixxberg

@mattspot10 said...

Hopefully Mr. DK rep is listening to all of the threads on here calling for flatter payouts across all sports and contests.

I see them as lotteries at this point. I play NFL Showdown because it makes watching NFL more fun and I could randomly win $200K with less than $100, but I know it’s top 3 or nothing, as even a 10th place out of 100K entrants will give me only about $1K.

• Felixxberg

@mr_papageorgio said...

Great example from NBA last night: I won the $200 (60x), got 9th in the $40 SE (12x), and that same LU cashed for only 5x in the big $10 GPP.

It happened to me so often in NHL and PGA. I miss the days where you could play $3 flat 150 max contests. I was still a beginner at that point, but I never lost more than 1/3 my investment on a night, and I won a few thousands here and there.

Congrats by the way!

• mr_papageorgio

@Felixxberg said...

It happened to me so often in NHL and PGA. I miss the days where you could play $3 flat 150 max contests. I was still a beginner at that point, but I never lost more than 1/3 my investment on a night, and I won a few thousands here and there.

Congrats by the way!

Thanks! I’ve never tried full mass entry but with the way payouts are structured now I don’t think anyone other than Bkreider can win long term.

• Krausehouse

• 2020 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

To add to this discussion: The lineups i’ve been building this year are with the intentions of taking down the entire GPP, or not cashing at all. Lately its been the not cashing at all part hahaha! In years past playing DFS i was just aiming to cash and was too scared to make weird picks even if my intuition is telling me to do so. My big wins this year have been hitting the top prizes with some slightly outrageous lines. I don’t even remember the last time i minimum cashed… Seriously… But for the first time maybe ever in my DFS career my ROI is actually positive this year. In years past I would cash much more regularly, but almost never hit any big prizes. I generally play single bullet in the high stakes GPP’s. To take down some of these guys lately it seems that making super high upside lines is the key.

BTW: Im all for flatter prize structures, but thats out of our control it seems.

• Southie777

There’s actually another thread going on about this very subject right now. I commented earlier that I think I remember a few weeks ago that the Milly Maker, or one of the other big football contests, had a total prize ppol of $2.5M and a top prize of $1M. Could be off a bit, but it was something similar. That is patently absurd. The $9 entry, $2M prize pool tourney on Sunday has a top prize of $500,000. 25% to first. I used to love that the Forecheck last year was, generally, 10% to 1st. This year, it’s routinely 20%. I really do think it is killing the game. But they’ve obviously shown zero interest in listening to the public in the past and, likely, won’t unless people stop playing.

• Felixxberg

The thing is, I’ll continue to play one lineup just in case, but there’s no way I’m entering 150 lineups in such contests. Some guys continue to do it anyway (and I truly don’t understand why), but they’ll run out of money some day, and DK will lose more and more of those mass enterers. No one will be able to constantly beat the rake, and only casual players who play a few lineups just for fun will stay. Contests will then get smaller because mass enterers won’t fill them anymore, and then casual players won’t play anymore either because the prizes won’t be worth it anymore.

Mass enterers profit from flatter structures, but casual players probably prefer top heavy, because a few lineups in a large GPP is a lottery anyway. DK wants to keep everyone, and I understand that, but they need guys who play $1K+ per night. They want to remove mass enterers advantage and make everyone equal, so they make new rules every season, but at the end of the day, if everyone is equal and loses 15% day after day, everyone will quit. Mass enterers constantly filling contests and paying rake is what they need, and to keep them, they need them to constantly win, but I guess they don’t see that, or maybe I’m wrong.

I know I’m ranting and maybe I wouldn’t if I won a couple top prizes, but I just feel I can’t find a contest I like night after night. What I’d want is a large flat GPP, but those don’t exist anymore, at least not in NHL.

• sirrobert6

• Blogger of the Month

Honestly, I just don’t have the balls to win anymore.
    I used to be able to straight stack two lines and a couple dmen and if both stacks scored ONCE I was instantly paid no matter what everyone else did, let alone still had a shot at taking it down. Now I’ll be lucky to even consider cashing unless EVERY player gets at LEAST a goal’s worth of points/hit some bonus. It’s super frustrating.
    I know a lot of the old guard who don’t play anymore because of the scoring. They can know who the best plays are, but now with so much (positive) scoring variance it’s impossible to get ahead without being near perfect.

Unless I’m brave enough to go bkrieder and do completely unnecessary selections in order to stand out it doesn’t feel like I’ll be winning again anytime soon. Three game slates def make it easier as instead of a 12 game slate/100 rando’s to pick from there’s only 15. Used to hate these small slates, now it’s the only time that allows for the illogical routes to success that people are taking to win. Only time all season I’ll consider using Travis Zajac in a high-end buy-in is on a three-game slate LOL.

• jayzee666

I used to play to cash a few years back but I have since realized that my real power is to bust and snowflake players.
    Anyway, DK does have a thread that is 87 pages long that asks for feedback from users. Many times the flat payouts have been mentioned but the Rep counters that based on their overall customer feedback and magical algorithms, the payout system they have is the mostest optimum contest format in the whole universe!!
    I would assume if enough people stopped playing these top heavy contests, that algorithm would start spitting out something different!!

I myself would prefer contests that payout about 95% on the entries – I don’t finish in last place every night!

• sirrobert6

• Blogger of the Month

@jayzee666 said...

I used to play to cash a few years back but I have since realized that my real power is to bust and snowflake players.

moi aussi, was almost exclusively a cash player until last season. Scoring makes it impossible now.

• Felixxberg

@jayzee666 said...

Many times the flat payouts have been mentioned but the Rep counters that based on their overall customer feedback and magical algorithms, the payout system they have is the mostest optimum contest format in the whole universe!!

I wish I knew what algorithm tells them to put 25% to 1st in a 246 man contest and also 25% to 1st in a 4.7K man contest. There’s absolutely 0 sense to that and I wish a DK rep could explain to me why they need to do that.

• Boooooourns

• 2016 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

Min cashing doesn’t even feel like winning. Even 2x min cash doesn’t seem right. They need to payout way less people for way more money.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).