NHL FORUM

Comments

• bhdevault

• Lead Moderator

• Blogger of the Month

7:38 PM :  Montreal ( 180 ) at  Boston ( -215 ) —- T: 5½o-20
    10:08 PM :  Calgary ( -130 ) at  Los Angeles ( 110 ) —- T: 5½o-20
    10:38 PM :  Chicago ( 130 ) at  Vancouver ( -150 ) —- T: 6½u-20

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NHL strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterday’s games will be moved to yesterday’s NHL thread. Any off topic posts, troll posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted. While the use of GIF’s are acceptable, content must be posted along with them.

• zovyn

And Marchand’s… it’s showing as an unassisted PPG now. ??

• Felixxberg

• 2019 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

• 2019 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

@zovyn said...

Ehh, I guess there are 55 players that have reached that mark… so it’s not incredibly rare but it’s still pretty nuts. 6 of those 55 are active – Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Kucherov, Kane, and Stamkos. Pretty good company.

McDavid too!

• SA16

@zovyn said...

And Marchand’s… it’s showing as an unassisted PPG now. ??

The goal was obviously clearly unassisted since Petry passed it to Pastrnak but was hoping the adjustment wouldn’t happen lol

• Volkster6

Ok hear me out quick because it’s important I feel and as Felix mentioned perhaps this is pinned:

Hockey like any other sport is more of a cash game strategy, especially with the bonuses now. As you know the Hat Trick has always been a requirement to have on a night to do well, even in the old scoring format, but mandatory now with the bonuses. However, correlating wingers not so much anymore as 3 shots is 0.50 less than an assist.

In cash games you look for consistent floor players- in GPPs upside gems who can go off. However in NHL you need a mix of both. It’s almost like a hybrid sport. Last night was a small slate yes, but we all knew where the chalk would be. And if we haven’t noticed, the chalk seems to hit all the time in the NHL so it is dangerous to fade.

However! The key take is always contest selection. When Stellagirl says “I’ll bet Pasta isn’t even in the winning LU” there is a point to be made that it could be true. In a 4750 $0.50 entry GPP with Max 150 there is a chance Pasta wouldn’t be in the top LU on different slates on most nights, even with the hat trick.
    In the $691, SE 13 man he would be 100% owned so fading him would be disastrous. Even if he busts it’s a must play because of his floor.

In the end this fourm does a fantastic job of differentiation between good and bad plays and we certainly support and hear each other out, genuinely trying to be helpful at all times. The classic hockey player athlete. However without trying to be insincere here the advice we give could be detrimental to one another as well.

I usually play in the higher stakes and see yisman, Felix and Papa there daily. I don’t often see Stella or iffthe or even sirrobert. I weigh my plays based on the former 3 rather then the latter 3 because they are typically in similar contests. Not to say that what the latter 3 are saying isn’t true, but it just won’t apply to me due to contest size. TheZieg will jump into the big contests from time to time, but will also MME spots as well so it’s interesting to read what he says.

In closing, and sorry for my long novel, but as a player we’re all trying to succeed and get better. Didn’t mean to single anyone out or leave anybody out (Southie, Krause, Zovyn etc) but let’s do a better job moving forward (and some players really do this well already) of mentioning why you like your play, and WHERE you like your play more. This can only help us all.

Sorry to get all “dad advice” here but been thinking about sharing this topic for a while.

• hautalak

• x2

2021 Blogger of the Month

@Volkster6 said...

but let’s do a better job moving forward (and some players really do this well already) of mentioning why you like your play, and WHERE you like your play more. This can only help us all.

Sorry to get all “dad advice” here but been thinking about sharing this topic for a while.

I understand what you are trying to convey and it makes sense.

However in NHL I am not much of a “stats” guy. I do use SOG, G, A, TOI, and last 5 game logs but typically don’t get much deeper than that. The funny thing about hockey games is they don’t “play to the script” as often as other sports. So I kind of disagree with your NHL chalk take. Yes, they hit often but we are also burned often by it. I’m not saying make stupid/wild plays like random L3 and L4s but with reasonable sized slates there are tons of ways to go.

I like to play by “feel” often in hockey and I think it’s a sport where you can. “Knowing” the game rather than plugging and chugging numbers is one of the reasons I love NHL. We’ve all had to adjust this year with the scoring change. I still hate it but have adapted and really focus on bonuses (as do most of us I’m sure). I think they have actually benefited me in the long run. I’m having a pretty “good” NHL year for a small stakes guy.

I guess in summary I feel like enough of us “know” each other to take or leave what people are saying without a stat, narrative, or reason for the play. If you have support for your position even better. In the end I think everybody is trying to help (unlike some forums here). Anyway I always appreciate this forum and am grateful for it. I’ve gotten on to better/worse plays just like anybody else from reading though. These are just some of my thoughts.

Also shoutout to Pockets for diligently making forum contests every day! I am a big fan of the competition and sometimes it shows how “good” we really are as I’ve had GPPs cash but not the forum. Good luck today!

• stellagirl

Agreed with much of the above, and, yes, this is the best forum on RG by far!!

I have been more stats driven this year than in the past, and have changed up my choice of GPP’s to the flatter payouts. This has been one of my better seasons.

I also play by feel though, and sometimes make plays against what stats would suggest, especially if I think the masses will follow that path. I watch a LOT of Western conference hockey so have a better gut feel for teams in the west versus the east, which is fine because I think ownership is sometimes lower in late games.

I like the points you made about ownership Volkster. I rarely play lineups over $3 so my exposure is to 4k-7k plenty fields. I joked last night that Pasta wouldn’t be in the winning lineup, just to be light hearted… but I had some low owned lines that, with a hat trick, could have easily passed BOS1, especially since they took away some helpers from patsy’s linemates l. Didnt happen, but as you point out, in the $333, by the end of the BOS game the night had already been mostly decided. Not so much in the hipcheck!

Good discussion!

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).