7:05 PM :  Pittsburgh ( -130 ) at  Carolina ( 110 ) —- T: -130
    7:05 PM :  Ottawa ( -110 ) at  New Jersey ( -110 ) —- T: -110
    7:35 PM :  N.Y. Islanders ( -110 ) at  Detroit ( -110 ) —- T: -110
    7:35 PM :  Winnipeg ( 125 ) at  Toronto ( -145 ) —- T: 125
    7:35 PM :  Edmonton ( 100 ) at  Tampa Bay ( -120 ) —- T: 100
    8:05 PM :  Calgary ( 135 ) at  Nashville ( -155 ) —- T: 135
    8:05 PM :  Chicago ( 120 ) at  Minnesota ( -140 ) —- T: 120
    9:05 PM :  Los Angeles ( -180 ) at  Colorado ( 160 ) —- T: -180

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NHL strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterdays games will be moved to yesterdays NHL thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted. Please make it a point to say if you’re talking about Cash or GPP options.

• Njsum1

@kdub said...

Youll need a huge game from that team for it to be viable

That’s what I was thinking. I would need like 5 goals in the game and my guys to score three of them with like 4 assists. Sounds possible but unlikely.

• Scumpunch

RG Overall Ranking

@elementasrat said...

To be piggyback on GaelicGirl’s question, do certain coaches like to ride the hot hand in-game? If a 4th line is playing well while the 1st line is struggling, will coaches opt to ride the 4th line or do coaches usually stick to the usual rotation?

To an extent, but it’s usually not too pronounced. Coaches will sometimes “shorten their bench” to 3 lines, but a given forward line can’t really go more than every 3rd shift due to fatigue. Special teams time will obviously increase a players ice time as well.

• dyavid

@gaelicgirl said...

A general question about playing time: If a certain line gets a lot of playing time one night, are they likely to get less playing time the next night? I had what I thought was a great FLA stack last night (the Line 1 PP 1 guys), and I picked them because they scored in the previous game, but it seemed like the Line 2 PP 2 guys got all the action. Still managed to make my entry fees back thanks to Trocheck, but it was frustrating to not see my guys on the ice much.

One thing to keep in mind with NHL is that the home team has last change which is the most important factor in home ice advantage. This allows the home team to match their best defensive lines against the road team top offensive line.m For the case with the florida/st louis game, stl has a very strong defensive paring of pietrangel/bouwmesster which would line up against the Barkov line most of the time. When targeting a road team against a strong defensive team at home, I usually go for the teams second line.

• Njsum1

@elementasrat said...

A lot of the high rollers do this such as Saahil and BeepImaJeep. They max out the $4 GPPS and just stack every team with 6 guys. Pathetic really.

Yeah this would be a single entry. Yet it’s good to know successful players employ this strategy so it must work sometimes. When I built this lineup, it wasn’t meant to be a 6 man stack. I liked the the 3 man and 2 man line stacks I had built. Then after I chose my goalie and two defenseman, I had exactly enough salary left over for the best player on the remaining top 3 line

• maxeernst

@dyavid said...

One thing to keep in mind with NHL is that the home team has last change which is the most important factor in home ice advantage

While this undeniably plays a huge role in terms of home ice advantage and defining the structure/flow of the game some, home ice adavtange is also largely attributable to reffing bias.

• gaelicgirl

@dyavid said...

One thing to keep in mind with NHL is that the home team has last change which is the most important factor in home ice advantage. This allows the home team to match their best defensive lines against the road team top offensive line.m For the case with the florida/st louis game, stl has a very strong defensive paring of pietrangel/bouwmesster which would line up against the Barkov line most of the time. When targeting a road team against a strong defensive team at home, I usually go for the teams second line.

Fantastic. Thanks for the insight, I was wondering why the last change is so important.

• JPep2370

Have gone 19-21 since Thursday in my 50/50’s. Of course they are intermediate, only 10 players. Still been scoring pretty well in them. Started off this morning going one direction and after changing my line up several times I’ve settled in. Paid down at 1 Def after trying to get 2 top D. Don’t think it’s needed tonight. So paid down at 1 spot. Was able to get one mini stack together which is not what I had initially this morning.

Targeting LA/COL, WPG/TOR and PIT/CAR for my cash games

• jonube

Opinions on Schmaltz tonight…

• maxeernst

@jonube said...

Opinions on Schmaltz tonight…

Why go for a meh option on a road team facing arguably the best scoring chance suppression team in the NHL….?

• superstars92

RG Overall Ranking

@maxeernst said...

While this undeniably plays a huge role in terms of home ice advantage and defining the structure/flow of the game some, home ice adavtange is also largely attributable to reffing bias.

I don’t know much about NHL research, but could it also be like the road team in NHL games are typically more fatigued? For example just being on the road means more travel which leads to more fatigue, but could it be that the road team in NHL is more likely to be playing a b2b?

I know in the NBA that is the case (like the most likely b2b are road b2bs) which means part of the reason a road team does worse is simply due to fatigue caused by travel/playing b2b games (since it is correlated to being the road team) rather than just purely being the road team.

• Zieg30

@elementasrat said...

To be piggyback on GaelicGirl’s question, do certain coaches like to ride the hot hand in-game? If a 4th line is playing well while the 1st line is struggling, will coaches opt to ride the 4th line or do coaches usually stick to the usual rotation?

Yup, certain coaches will give more ice-time to players who seem to be playing better that particular game.

That’s less apparent, however, than when coaches bench a player because they took an untimely/unnecessary penalty, which can be super frustrating.

• Olhausen

@gaelicgirl said...

A general question about playing time: If a certain line gets a lot of playing time one night, are they likely to get less playing time the next night? I had what I thought was a great FLA stack last night (the Line 1 PP 1 guys), and I picked them because they scored in the previous game, but it seemed like the Line 2 PP 2 guys got all the action. Still managed to make my entry fees back thanks to Trocheck, but it was frustrating to not see my guys on the ice much.

Hello gaelicgirl, it’s good to see you back! Did you move from Vegas?

• Olhausen

@elementasrat said...

A lot of the high rollers do this such as Saahil and BeepImaJeep. They max out the $4 GPPS and just stack every team with 6 guys. Pathetic really.

No they don’t. They may do some 6 man stacks but the majority of them are 4-3-1 or something like that. As I’ve said a few times stacks seem to work better at the beginning of the season then later in the season. I’m not sure why but that’s how it’s worked out for me the last two seasons.

• KindGuy

@superstars92 said...

I don’t know much about NHL research, but could it also be like the road team in NHL games are typically more fatigued? For example just being on the road means more travel which leads to more fatigue, but could it be that the road team in NHL is more likely to be playing a b2b?

I know in the NBA that is the case (like the most likely b2b are road b2bs) which means part of the reason a road team does worse is simply due to fatigue caused by travel/playing b2b games (since it is correlated to being the road team) rather than just purely being the road team.

Can we agree on a certain abbreviation for the different types of back to backs? It’s confusing to decipher which b2bs people are referring to.

Ie. home—->home

Home—->road

Road—-road

Road—->home

• zshoom

• 2016 Single Entry Series Finalist

Looks like Hoffman, Stone and Ryan are all out for the Sens. Phanuef missed morning skate, but is expected to play.

• kdub

@zshoom said...

Looks like Hoffman, Stone and Ryan are all out for the Sens. Phanuef missed morning skate, but is expected to play.

how chalky will that make cory schneider i wonder?

• Zieg30

@kdub said...

how chalky will that make cory schneider i wonder?

But what does their absence mean, anyway. Is Schneider going to face more low-danger shots than had they played, or will he simply face fewer shots, period, in which case his ceiling has simply been reduced?

For GPPs I don’t necessarily jump all over a goalie simply because the opposing team has been weakened.

• FRISCO

It will likely limit the # of shots he sees, not sure where the offence will come from now, but increase odds of a win.

• kdub

@Zieg30 said...

But what does their absence mean, anyway. Is Schneider going to face more low-danger shots than had they played, or will he simply face fewer shots, period, in which case his ceiling has simply been reduced?

For GPPs I don’t necessarily jump all over a goalie simply because the opposing team has been weakened.

Valid point, cheap price tag on DK though too. I can easily see both sides of the arguement

• maxeernst

@Zieg30 said...

Obviously not any tangible data on something like this (or at least not much I can think of), but could also argue that missing such key guys would encourage a “throw anything and everything at the net” style of play.

• PigskinaBlanket

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #54

RG Tiered Ranking

• x2

2016 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

• x3

2019 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

@elementasrat said...

Certain coaches are more apt to make line chanes mid game than others. Rather than givin the 4th line a ton of time – which occasionally happens but rarely for scoring purposes – you will see a winger from the 3rd line get bumped up to the first. Especially on the 2nd night of a back to back, if one of the young guys (ie Jimmy Vesey a few nights ago) is flying around the ice- look for him to get worked into a top-6 position to get him out there more.

• lloydjv1

@maxeernst said...

Be sure and check out the Daily Fantasy Fix (in the podcast tab) where JayWilly and I broke down tonight’s slate.

What is the link we are looking for here? This seems a little cryptic. I am referring to the Corsica reference. I found a website, but not sure what I need to be looking at.

• keephustlincuz

@maxeernst said...

Obviously not any tangible data on something like this (or at least not much I can think of), but could also argue that missing such key guys would encourage a “throw anything and everything at the net” style of play.

Also remember that injured players are getting replaced by guys from the Ahl that are looking to make a good impression.

Those players aren’t just going out there doing pirouettes. They are playing hard and shooting the puck.

• maxeernst

@lloydjv1 said...

What is the link we are looking for here? This seems a little cryptic. I am referring to the Corsica reference. I found a website, but not sure what I need to be looking at.

Not sure what corsica reference you mean.

The website is Corsica.hockey (not dot com… dot hockey). The site is a bit tough to navigate at first, but you’ll get used to it.

DM or @ me on twitter with specific questions if you want.

• gaelicgirl

@Olhausen said...

Hello gaelicgirl, it’s good to see you back! Did you move from Vegas?

Hi Olhausen, glad to see you’re still here! Yep, moved back from Reno around Christmas. It’s nice to be able to play DFS again, although I’m just biding my time with NBA (and NHL this week) until MLB starts up again…same with you, I’m sure. :D

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.