NHL FORUM

Comments

• bhdevault

• Lead Moderator

• Blogger of the Month

8:05 PM :  Ottawa ( 150 ) at  Chicago ( -170 ) —- T: 150
    10:05 PM :  Dallas ( 0 ) at  Anaheim ( 0 ) —- T: 0
    10:35 PM :  Calgary ( 0 ) at  Vegas ( 0 ) —- T: 0

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NHL strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterdays games will be moved to yesterdays NHL thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..

• RandysCrow

@Blahaaron said...

We have 3 games every Wednesday. You can blame NBC for that. It is their rivalry themed night where teams who don’t have rivalries play each other. Usually involves Chicago or Pittsburgh.

Ah ok…so three game Wednesday’s is the rule then…

Thanks for the info!

• Felixxberg

Chicago and Dallas went through the blender again! I can’t believe they still don’t put Kane and DeBrincat on the same line. They crushed during preseason!

• PhoFever

Fire me up 8x more quarter games on Yahoo!. For just $2 you can play just about every game angle! I have a feeling about ANA2 and OTT2.

• Felixxberg

Thinking of trying a new strategy for tonight: Taking DAL2 (with Seguin instead of Shore), ANA1, FLA1 and VGK1 and mixing them with almost all lines (including L3s and L4s).

EDIT: After review, nope. No way I’m plugging L4s.

• sizzlebeans

@Seahawktom said...

I have a feeling about ANA2

They are due, and are way better at home vs the road. Silvy just scored last game, though. Cogs is just dead weight most of the time, and Kesler is too busy being a goon most of the time to try and score, but they will be super low owned, I would guess. I miss the days of getting Uncle Rico and Kase for dirt cheap.

• hautalak

@sizzlebeans said...

Kesler is too busy being a goon most of the time to try and score, but they will be super low owned, I would guess. I miss the days of getting Uncle Rico and Kase for dirt cheap.

Yes on all accounts! I effing hate Kesler (even though he’s a US and MI guy). I was a bit later to the ANA L3 party but still got them cheap on a lot of slates.

• Barnold89

On this 3 game slate I’m attempting to find some good one off plays. I keep landing on silfverburg. Thoughts?

• Blahaaron

I’m not too familiar with Anaheims matchups but ana3 should see Dallas depth. Is the kesler line the shut down line? I don’t know. Kase henrique ritchie look solid to me.

• Blahaaron

Backlund line vs vgk1 kind of puts me off them too. They’re a pretty solid shutdown line. Unless Vegas uses lastl change..

• sizzlebeans

@Blahaaron said...

Is the kesler line the shut down line?

Both of their top lines get used in that role, mainly because they both see time against the opponent’s top 6 skaters, but traditionally, the Kesler line has been RC’s shut down line.

• kdub

@Blahaaron said...

I’m not too familiar with Anaheims matchups but ana3 should see Dallas depth. Is the kesler line the shut down line? I don’t know. Kase henrique ritchie look solid to me.

ANA3 is no longer a secret… I imagine they garner decent ownership tonight.. I’ll have a few shares but the last month or so has been absolutely BRUTAL so I would fade any lines that I’m using lol

• bartow33

Like some others i have seen in this thread, I have been dabbling in the NHL contest while NBA all star break is in session…. I have actually come across some pretty good use of stats for goalies such as Goals allowed per shot attempt per game, compared to the oppenents goals scored per shots per game etc… Love those stats, and actually have been very helpful in selecting a goalie.

However I am really trying to figure out how to select players/lines etc. i use Leftwinglock.com for trying to get an understanding of lines, and I also use left wing lock for Line production in order to get a decent idea of how lines score, allow goals etc… Has anyone found anything in more detail around line production. More specifically around PK or Power Play lines? I can go look at stats and compare PK% to PP% all day long, but was wondering if there is a site that has an even further breakdown in terms of 1st or 2nd PK or PP line.

In terms of today this is what I have determined wise for stats just to kind of keep on topic of this forum….
    Vegas allows 11.3 shots for every goal scored, and calgary takes 11.6 shots for every 1 goal scored. So in terms of goalies getting points mainly from SOGs this is the best matchup and has a goals allowed to goals scored per game of 2.68 and 2.81 respecitively… The Stars Ducks and Blackhawks are all VERY close behind them with the Stars actually having a better matchup in terms of goals allowed per game, to goals scored per game with the ducks.

i also noticed that the Senetors have the 3rd ish worst PK in the nhl around 75% but unfortunately the blackhawks have one of the worst PP% in the nhl too. The best PP/PK matchup appears to be with Vegas where the Flames have a PK% of 80 which is middle of the pack and Vegas having a PP% of 21.1 which is slightly above middle of the pack.

thats all i was able to determine at least from my probably amateur stats checking, which is what lead me to comment here to see if anyone has any other sites of Stat checking they use especially for detailed line break down both full strength and PP lines

Thanks everyone! sorry if this was long and sucked and wasted your time reading it

• Blahaaron

You can check out PP and pk numbers on nhl.com team stats area although it does not include home and away stats. Must be on a site somewhere.

• bartow33

yea I used NHL.com for most of my stat checks already. I copied and pasted and then re organized the fields in excel then thats how i created my Shots per goal scored per game etc…. And i am using their PP% and PK% stats as well. But was just wondering if there is anything else out there that would break down the PP% or PK% to 1st and 2nd lines production related…

basically just wanst sure if there was a way to get even more detailed with stats, or if I am chasing a rabit hole in the sense that hockey isnt neccesarily as “Stat Driven” as NBA or MLB which i mainly play.

• Blahaaron

I use this site a lot

https://www.hockey-reference.com/analytics/

I don’t know if it’ll have what you’re looking for though

• Quickparty

@bartow33 said...

yea I used NHL.com for most of my stat checks already. I copied and pasted and then re organized the fields in excel then thats how i created my Shots per goal scored per game etc…. And i am using their PP% and PK% stats as well. But was just wondering if there is anything else out there that would break down the PP% or PK% to 1st and 2nd lines production related…

basically just wanst sure if there was a way to get even more detailed with stats, or if I am chasing a rabit hole in the sense that hockey isnt neccesarily as “Stat Driven” as NBA or MLB which i mainly play.

NaturalStatTrick.com -> Line Tools -> Filter by PP -> put the desired players (anywhere from 2-5) in, can either check rate stats (/60 although for PP it should really be /10) or counts.

Can do the same for PK.

• sizzlebeans

@bartow33 said...

try corsica.hockey or naturalstattrick.com

• Quickparty

Addendum to last post: I`d recommend putting all five in for PP, it sorts with/without for you.
    For reference:
    CF = all shot attempts
    FF = unblocked shot attempts
    SF = shots for
    SCF = scoring chances (as defined by NST) for
    HDCF = high-danger shot attempts for (basically draw a little triangle in front of the net for where a HD chance would come from)

Can also do this for 5v5 or all even-strength play as well.

If you click on the games, you can also see heatmaps for where teams are getting shots from or allowing shots from, sortable by PP/PK, 5v5, last 10, all season.

• bartow33

Thanks!!!! I will Check it out

• Benf15harp

Condon 31 goals allowed last 10 3.1pg
    Rittich 24 last 10 2.4pg
    Bishop 24 last 10 2.4 pg
    Forsberg 24 last 10 2.4 pg
    Miller 19 last 10 1.9pg
    Fleury 26 last 10 2.6pg

Blackhawks 22 goals scored last 10 2.2 pg Record 1-9
    Senators 36 last 10 3.6 pg. record 6-4
    Dallas 25 last 10 2.5pg. Record 6-4
    Ducks 25 last 10 2.5pg record 5-5
    Flames 30 last 10 3.0pg. Record 5-5
    Vegas 34 last 10 3.4 pg record 6-4

• bartow33

yea I was doing season total not last 10…. I dont mind narrowing it down, but I also get a little skeptical of that because say miller whos last 10 and 1.9pg … i would then also want to know who he has played, if its vegas and nashville and TB then wow yea thats awesome… but if its been arizona, and ottowa and buffalo in the last 10 that isnt a “whoa he is doing good” to me.

like i said, i am very new at this, but I actually REALLY like calculating the Shots per goal scored, to shots allowed per goal allowed….. to me that is where you are TRULY going to find out the points scoring for your goalies, it all comes down to SOGs and fewest goals allowed. SOGs = PTs

• Benf15harp

@bartow33 said...

yea I was doing season total not last 10…. I dont mind narrowing it down, but I also get a little skeptical of that because say miller whos last 10 and 1.9pg … i would then also want to know who he has played, if its vegas and nashville and TB then wow yea thats awesome… but if its been arizona, and ottowa and buffalo in the last 10 that isnt a “whoa he is doing good” to me.

like i said, i am very new at this, but I actually REALLY like calculating the Shots per goal scored, to shots allowed per goal allowed….. to me that is where you are TRULY going to find out the points scoring for your goalies, it all comes down to SOGs and fewest goals allowed. SOGs = PTs

Yea I play hockey about 5 times per year
    So I just thought I’d throw out some possibly useless stats lol

• PhoFever

@bartow33 said...

I am chasing a rabit hole in the sense that hockey isnt neccesarily as “Stat Driven” as NBA or MLB which i mainly play.

Not sure about this, can anyone else comment? I’ve played all 4 DFS sports for about 3 years and find that although there may be fewer stat categories in hockey, overall stats are no less relevant than elsewhere.

• Benf15harp

@Seahawktom said...

Not sure about this, can anyone else comment? I’ve played all 4 DFS sports for about 3 years and find that although there may be fewer stat categories in hockey, overall stats are no less relevant than elsewhere.

I’d say the predictability factor in hockey is less than that of nba/mlb/nfl
    Least predictable is nascar and golf imo
    Stats are useful in all sports. They just might not translate to hockey as well

• bartow33

@Seahawktom said...

This would be awesome to know actually… I have played DFS for about 3 years as well, and by no means am an “Expert” but have taken a few very nice first place wins in MLB NBA and NFL… But EVERY TIME i play hockey I lose my A#$ and i guess from a personal perspective want to understand it/possible be more efficient at it. It literally drives me nuts how bad i do sometimes haha… even with the statistical checks i have done. So as i have been doing todays research as refenced earlier, Just wonder if anyone else in this thread has a deeper and better look or notice where i may be missing in my research “stats wise”

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

Bet with your head, not over it!
Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-Gambler