NHL FORUM

Comments

• bhdevault

• Lead Moderator

• Blogger of the Month

8:05 PM :  Ottawa ( 150 ) at  Chicago ( -170 ) —- T: 150
    10:05 PM :  Dallas ( 0 ) at  Anaheim ( 0 ) —- T: 0
    10:35 PM :  Calgary ( 0 ) at  Vegas ( 0 ) —- T: 0

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NHL strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterdays games will be moved to yesterdays NHL thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..

• bartow33

If i haven’t made it clear you use the goalies team shots allowed per goals allowed per game and compare it to the opponents shots per goal per game… The higher allowed for the goalies team, and the higher shots per goal scored per game for the goalies oppenent the better, thats why i add them together

• PhoFever

@bartow33 said...

Have you ever tried a deep stat look goalie wise? its probably the one thing i have been able to relate to for NHL…. This may be long and I hope it makes sense but here is what I do. I have found it to be very successful in picking my goalie. I will probably tie in your vegas odd home vs away with it as well.

First and fore most i copy and past nhl.com stats into an excel… This year it sucks horribly because when you past it into excel it just puts it all down the first column, so i have to do a copy and transpose to get the data linear for each team. but once i have all the data laid out i determine Shots on goal per goal scored per game and shots on goal allowed per goal allowed per game.

Shots allowed per goal per game: Shots allowed per game divided by goals allowed per game. this will give you the average amount of shots a team allows before it allows 1 goal. In terms of goalie is concerned the Higher the better. We wants shots on goal with no goals.

Shots per goal scored per game: Shots per game divided by goals per game. This will give you the average amount of shots a team gets on goal for every 1 goal they score per game. Again the higher the better here in terms of a goalie as we want shots on goal for goalie pts.

I will then total the 2 columns for an “easier” look at the stats. The “higher” the total the better.

I then also use the goals per game to goals allowed per game. I have a column that grabs the stats via a VLOOKUP to pull in these 2. I will also total them in order for a “easier” view at the possible total goals of the game.

The last thing i do is Subtract the total goals scored to goals allowed per game from the total shots allowed per goal per game and Shots per goal per game. This is also just another column i use in order to determine a quick view across all goalies.

Example: lets use the minnesota wild(GO WILD) vs TB lighting…all these stats are just made up
    MIN Shots allowed per game 20, TB shots per game 30
    MIN Goals allowed per game 2, TB goals per game 3

Shots allowed per goals allowed per game for MN: 20/2 = 10 shots allowed per goal allowed per game
    Shot per goal per game TB: 30/3 = 10 shots per goal scored per game
    Total of the 2 = 20

I would then do this for all goalies in the slate and compare the stats, and the goalies with the highest shots totals compared to the lowest goals total is who i take into consideration, along with a few other factors such as the value in terms of salary to projected points.

I really hope this made sense…. haha sorry if it doesnt. Basically just going after those SOGs for goalie points

That makes sense. THanks for sharing. Personally I don’t put too much stock into goalie save stats, because on Yahoo the pts per save don’t matter nearly as much as getting the win or shutout (.6 pts per save) or simply not letting in a goal (-5 pts…ouch).

• sizzlebeans

So Bartow, using your method, i am assuming you are on Ryan Miller tonight? This is what I came up with…but I split the data into home/road splits. first column is shots faced before a goal allowed, second column is opponents shots prior to scoring a goal, third column is the total of the two.

fluery 12.91 10.8 23.71
    mller 19.00 11.3 30.30
    forsberg 12.95 13.7 26.65
    bishop 9.16 11.26 20.42
    condon 10.42 12.15 22.57
    rittich 14.05 9.33 23.38

• Felixxberg

@hautalak said...

Hoping for another CHI stomping of OTT. Parts of most of the first 2 lines besides JURCO and add DeBrincat.

I think I’ll try to win a GPP with Jurco.

• TicketRaven

Montour for 4+ DK PTS tonight for savings?

• Zieg30

@Felixxberg said...

I think I’ll try to win a GPP with Jurco.

Ugh. It’s painful including him in the stack, but I’ve done it twice on DK.

• bartow33

@sizzlebeans said...

So, Bartow, using your method, i am assuming you are on Ryan Miller tonight?

tonight is REEEEAAAALLLLY tough actually…. all of the goalies are very very very close like fractions of a shot to goal scored… Except Condon and Rittich. and even they are really close on the shots to goal scored, but their total goals allowed per game to goals scored per game is a lot higher.

Depending on the Value, Home vs away, etc you could go with bishop fluery miller or forsberg….
    Forsberg has the value and is home
    Fleury has the highest total shots allowed per goal allowed plus shots per goal scored.
    Bishop has something like .2 less than fleury but has a lower total goals allowed to goals scored by like .15

On most night there is usually 2 ish goalies that will stand out while the rest have a gap between the top ones.

• bartow33

@sizzlebeans said...

So Bartow, using your method, i am assuming you are on Ryan Miller tonight? This is what I came up with…but I split the data into home/road splits. first column is shots faced before a goal allowed, second column is opponents shots prior to scoring a goal, third column is the total of the two.

fluery 12.91 10.8 23.71
    mller 19.00 11.3 30.30
    forsberg 12.95 13.7 26.65
    bishop 9.16 11.26 20.42
    condon 10.42 12.15 22.57
    rittich 14.05 9.33 23.38

the home away split is a pretty good approach actually and probably helps you determine a better stand out goalie… based on your numbers it seems you have it down well and are on the right track.

• hautalak

@Zieg30 said...

Ugh. It’s painful including him in the stack, but I’ve done it twice on DK.

Good luck to you on that. I feel like if you even get an assist outta him you will be close to the top of a GPP. Yes, I know I’m exaggerating buy understand I do not like him. I will admit part of it is because of how he trashed Detroit upon leaving when he wasn’t the one getting it done on the ice with every opportunity. You see how it’s working for CHI right now. So to JURCO

• bartow33

@Seahawktom said...

That makes sense. THanks for sharing. Personally I don’t put too much stock into goalie save stats, because on Yahoo the pts per save don’t matter nearly as much as getting the win or shutout (.6 pts per save) or simply not letting in a goal (-5 pts…ouch).

Very true… A win is absolutely huge…

• sizzlebeans

@bartow33 said...

the home away split is a pretty good approach actually and probably helps you determine a better stand out goalie… based on your numbers it seems you have it down well and are on the right track.

Doing that actually pulled me off Fleury to Miller. I would rather use Forsberg for even more savings, but I also have 2 OTT skaters in my LU for tonight, so not going to put my goalie up against that.

• bartow33

@sizzlebeans said...

Doing that actually pulled me off Fleury to Miller. I would rather use Forsberg for even more savings, but I also have 2 OTT skaters in my LU for tonight, so not going to put my goalie up against that.

another thing to remember is the goals scored per game to goals allowed per game… and the down fall or negative at miller is he is going against the team with the highest Goals scored per game… But like you said you did home away splits and i dont know what Stars goals per game is on the road offhand. but season total wise they are highest on the slate excluding splits.

• walkoff9

Not many attractive line stacks tonight either not great pp correlation or just crappy players thrown on to lines.

On Ottawa 2 and a mixture of Anaheim 1 and 3.

• sizzlebeans

@bartow33 said...

i dont know what Stars goals per game is on the road

they’re 15th with 2.71.

• Blahaaron

Try not to over think these things, because lately the numbers have not been winning. Corsi strategy has been losing a lot this month.

• Blahaaron

When americans say hockey like “hackey” it really hurts me deep down in my soul but ill get over it when team Canada womens team beats the yanks for gold

• EhhTimmay

The Duchene splits are just painful to look at.

There’s my contribution for the day.

• draggin49

Miller or fleury? Seems Calgary has been good on the road, not sure if Dallas has been as good .

• bartow33

@draggin49 said...

Miller or fleury? Seems Calgary has been good on the road, not sure if Dallas has been as good .

I have been leaning miller… at least thats who i went with in my lineup…. I guess if i was going to put it into perspective they are both looking nice… to narrow it i think maybe Fleury cash… miller GPP

• bartow33

@draggin49 said...

according to sizzlebeans earlier in this post the stars are ranked 15th goals scored on the road. So dead middle of the pack at 2.71pg

• yisman

first I had Seabrook and Schmidt on the blue line, but now I’m thinking of saving with Oesterle/Montour and spending up at center.

• yisman

with the big slate last night, there were lots of guys with value

today I can’t find any. Maybe Tuch but that’s if Neal is out.

3 game slates are tough.

• RandysCrow

Created two line ups for tonight. So we shall see.

First line up has 4 ANH players, 3 CGY players, and one each from the CHI/OTT game.

Second line up has 4 CHI players, 4 ANH players, and Colin Miller lol

I think I like my second line up better, but I put that one into gpps and the first one in the d-ups. Entered a little more than usual tonight as it is the last night before I have to start splitting money between NHL and NBA!

• Benf15harp

@RandysCrow said...

Created two line ups for tonight. So we shall see.

First line up has 4 ANH players, 3 CGY players, and one each from the CHI/OTT game.

Second line up has 4 CHI players, 4 ANH players, and Colin Miller lol

I think I like my second line up better, but I put that one into gpps and the first one in the d-ups. Entered a little more than usual tonight as it is the last night before I have to start splitting money between NHL and NBA!

I got 6 blackhawks, 1 senator, 1 golden knight and fleury at goalie for the late night double

• bartow33

I decided on Miller… ANA L1 and CGY L2 with karlsson thrown in

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.