7:05 PM :  San Jose ( -150 ) at  Buffalo ( 130 ) —- T: -150
    7:35 PM :  St. Louis ( 120 ) at  Ottawa ( -140 ) —- T: 120
    7:35 PM :  Columbus ( -135 ) at  Detroit ( 115 ) —- T: -135
    7:35 PM :  Los Angeles ( -105 ) at  Tampa Bay ( -115 ) —- T: -105
    7:35 PM :  Dallas ( 0 ) at  Toronto ( 0 ) —- T: 0
    8:05 PM :  Minnesota ( -120 ) at  Winnipeg ( 100 ) —- T: -120
    8:05 PM :  Vancouver ( 170 ) at  Nashville ( -200 ) —- T: 170
    9:05 PM :  Montreal ( -180 ) at  Colorado ( 160 ) —- T: -180

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NHL strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterdays games will be moved to yesterdays NHL thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted. Please make it a point to say if you’re talking about Cash or GPP options.

• PhoFever

Morning everyone, big slate up ahead. Anyone liking Toronto and Nashville for alternative stacks to Montreal, Pitt and Caps?

• jdogg7811

Not sure which way to go yet. Toronto coming off a long hard fought game last night. Not sure they have as much in the tank for tonight. Right now Im heavily looking into Wash/Car & Ott/SL. I mostly play cash as an FYI.

• sizzlebeans

I think you have to have some PIT exposure tonight. There are plenty of differentiating plays to go along with them. I’m also looking at the Jets, Preds, and Stars tonight.

• DirtyDylz

Anyone who Kadri will be matched up against for the night? Seguin or Benn?

• sizzlebeans

@DirtyDylz said...

Anyone who Kadri will be matched up against for the night? Seguin or Benn?

Doesn’t Kadri play center and the two Stars play wing? Here were the match-ups for him last week vs DAL. Given that DAL has some injuries, this could change a bit.

http://www.leftwinglock.com/line-matching/index.php?teamid=TOR&playername=KADRI+NAZEM&strength=EV&teamopp=DAL&playertype=F&gamedate=2017-01-31&leform=lesent#results

• KindGuy

Haven’t played NHL since the early portion of the season. But there’s only 3 games on the NBA slate tonight so I just might have to play some hockey. What the hell happened to the prize pools? Are people just not that interested in hockey anymore?

Anyways, time to research! Hopefully I’m not too rusty.

• DirtyDylz

@sizzlebeans said...

Doesn’t Kadri play center and the two Stars play wing? Here were the match-ups for him last week vs DAL. Given that DAL has some injuries, this could change a bit.

http://www.leftwinglock.com/line-matching/index.php?teamid=TOR&playername=KADRI+NAZEM&strength=EV&teamopp=DAL&playertype=F&gamedate=2017-01-31&leform=lesent#results

Ya, sorry meant the Kadri’s line… Tough to tell with the Leafs at home getting last change (the game that LWL has was in Dallas) and the injuries changing Dallas’ lines up. Depends which Dallas line Babcock thinks is the better of the 2 I guess, I would really like the Benn line if I was sure that they would be up against the Bozak line for the night.

• RyanPfeiffer

@sizzlebeans said...

C or W doesnt matter, C 2nd man down low coverage Wingers responsible for points and 3rd F (high forward). I would look into common matchup with the first line last night vs Tavares line for answer, but good luck figuring out what Toronto is goping to do coming off an 10+ goal game, no rest, overnight flight. if you cant find a definite trend (like Holtby won’t play b2b days, for ex), you STILL have to venture a guess at who toronto is deeming the Dallas first line, not the media. I think you play Van Riemsdyk/Marner line- they started to heat up a bit towards the end of the game last night, and I think that can carry over if they target that line at Dallas’ poor D corps. Honestly, with all the games on the board, I’m dodging this. The Stars look like a team that scores, but they really struggle on the road, and we all know torontos spot.

• RyanPfeiffer

multi-entry roster limits happened. every sport but football and basketball plays it safe as 3 entry max tourneys become of higher demand due to the overwhelming % of multi-entry ‘professionals’ dominating the profits. look at the number football and basketball can put on a 3-entry max tourney vs the other sports for a feel of the risk. 7-days a week doesnt help, either- look at golf, for example- much larger prize pools with the build up all week, even for waste management and pebble beach pro-ams, prize pools smash hockey. MMA and soccer are a level under hockey. I’d say 5 levels- 1. football 2. basketball 3.baseball 4. hockey 5. soccer/mma. baseball and hockey probably have the closest gap, football kills it, basketball actually raises my eyebrows sometimes, considering its a 7 day prop- if you counted total prize money by the week instead of the day, you might have to flip 1 and 2.

• KindGuy

@RyanPfeiffer said...

multi-entry roster limits happened. every sport but football and basketball plays it safe as 3 entry max tourneys become of higher demand due to the overwhelming % of multi-entry ‘professionals’ dominating the profits. look at the number football and basketball can put on a 3-entry max tourney vs the other sports for a feel of the risk. 7-days a week doesnt help, either- look at golf, for example- much larger prize pools with the build up all week, even for waste management and pebble beach pro-ams, prize pools smash hockey. MMA and soccer and a level under hockey. I’d say 5 levels- 1. football 2. basketball 3.baseball 4. hockey 5. soccer/mma. baseball and hockey probably have the closest gap, football kills it, basketball actually raises my eyebrows sometimes, considering its a 7 day prop- if you counted total prize money by the week instead of the day, you might have to flip 1 and 2.

Wow that’s a very interesting take. Thanks!

• RyanPfeiffer

r

• KindGuy

@RyanPfeiffer said...

basketball actually raises my eyebrows sometimes, considering its a 7 day prop- if you counted total prize money by the week instead of the day, you might have to flip 1 and 2.

Wow, you’re so right. Now I’m really curious to know how much revenue DK generates for NBA.

• RyanPfeiffer

FEATURED 2nd LINE ROAD TEAM- I like Columbus second line with Dubinsky/Atkinson/Jenner and Set Jones on point (Atkinson PP1, Dubinsky/Jenner PP2). I always gravitate towards the 2nd line of a team favored on the road in a 5.5 total, and Columbus is in as great a spot as any this evening. Jones has been hot, and I think this game has the potential to really open up in terms of flow, with Columbus’ stock of D-men willing to jump into the play to create numbers and Detroits up and coming style that seems to be geared towards speed in the (depressing reality of) post-Datsyuk era. This season is producing more 10+ goal total games than ever, and I like this game to have a quiet potential to ‘go there’, so Im not against a Detroit 1st line stack either in large pool gpp, multi-roster attack plan, but I digress from my original endorsement- The ice time for the Columbus 2nd line is safely around 18 min/ game avg for the forwards, Jones safely clocking in @ 25 min/ game, and Dubinsky and Jenner offer you a bit of surprise in the savings department considering this teams success and their role as a top 2 line group with PP time in a decent spot, albeit on the road. Do I like this cash or gpp?? I’ll speak outside of those boxes like this— in hockey, with the structure almost always favoring stacks for wins, I have a hard time pinpointing any road STACK cash plays ON AN 11 GAME SLATE, when cash plays like Crosby stacks and Capital stacks are going to be prevelant, so I look at this as a line that can simply get me to the 50 pt mark I want to hit (I would consider Jones the most likely cash play, and I want to say Atkinson but, honestly, I feel like his price tag does the opposite in terms of attention for him tonight, as many will be reaching to spend on high priced Pens and Caps, and Im guessing some high priced Stars… on the road Stars, eh-hem…. and he will be one of those high priced/low own plays, a la Justin Rose?? yeah, I went there.)- I spent too much time this morning wondering wtf is a cash or a gpp play here, when the answer is, simply, “thats just, like… you’re opinion, man.” The reality of it is, you can do great night in night out on both cash and tourney plays finding 2nd line favored road teams to feature, so don’t blame me if it doesnt work, just keep hitting that hard night in night out, and it i think it is proven it will.

• Staa0602

Incorporating a Big Lebowski line into a Hockey DFS breakdown might be my favorite thing ever. Is it too soon to say I love you?

• RyanPfeiffer

haha thanks man— sometimes it just ties together.

• TimmerRC

@RyanPfeiffer said...

r

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

• TimmerRC

So tonight has some insanely juicy matchups, but so many of them that it makes for a bit of a challenge… do you target the Dal/Tor game? Play it safe and stock up on Caps? Mtl against the awful Avalanche? Pitts? Min/Wpg? Tons of options!

• RyanPfeiffer

on the second line road front, i ask you this, are you really going to beat yourself up at night if a Marleau/Couture/Boedker stack with Vlasic on the point doesnt come through? Like toronto, Buffalo has the exact same situation, and whats harder on the young player, wheeling and dealing in a 6-5 slapping match or trading uppercuts in a 2-1 slugfest? Yes, I said Vlasic to be different, and save a few bucks… but isnt that the point sometimes? I am confident Burns ownership will be higher, and I am confident I am getting huge savings… and I also give myself 2 players exposure to PP1 (Couture and Marleau) and PP 2 (Boedker and Vlasic). So again, I ask, are you beating yourself up if your logic doesnt work? Heck, 3 goals spread right might be all you need. I don’t think you’ll be fooling anyone here, but this might be a good spot to run with the crowd… man I wanna say you can drop Couture on a Columbus/SJ stacked line up, but I hate fading that man in situations like this… in fact, I love when he is my one off I (like Jeff Carter when the Kings knew how to score), so maybe I just talked myself through a therapy session that has me playing this 2 ways- SJ stack w/ Vlasic to be financially realistic and a one-off play on Couture that lets me stack two other spots… theres this little, multi-roster playing rebel voice in my head going “be the guy who takes down the large field gpp with the Buffalo goalie at 2% ownership… but, no… not here. Not vs the fire-power with Hertl back.

• noddy

I have Toronto players and there’s no way in hell I’m getting talked off of playing them. Cuz if I do they’ll score 8 tonight. Now they’ll score 1. I’m damned if I do and damned if I don’t

• TimmerRC

@noddy said...

I have Toronto players and there’s no way in hell I’m getting talked off of playing them. Cuz if I do they’ll score 8 tonight. Now they’ll score 1. I’m damned if I do and damned if I don’t

I think there are much safer choices for cash tonight, but for a GPP Toronto is definitely a must-consider so by all means, hold steady!

• RyanPfeiffer

i think you stick to cash games and 3 to 5 player tourneys, stick to road team favored/close to even money w/ 5.5 o/u and 1st line home team favorites @ 5.5 o/u or 5o/u and 180 or better. I don’t think you over-value any trend without actually investigating said trend, and I think you won’t find much traction to Toronto b2b performances giving any tells, and anything you find in Dallas is accompanied by the fact that the team is not in the playoffs for a reason. I believe, however, if you look into Buffalo from first game to about January 6th, you will see that they have GA issues in 2nd games of b2b. I honestly can’t tell you what Dallas does in a rested road game vs a team off no rest. I’m 95% sure you won’t find a trend in torontos b2b performance that you will find in Buffalo. In an 11 game slate, I think its realistic to fade a team like Washington that can spread the scoring up and down the roster, where as, the gamble in Pittsburgh seems to be picking the right line and PP meshed stacks. If I play Pittsburgh, it will be in cash games, to run with the crowd, and if I play Washington, it will be playing under $5k options in large field gpps only. I just don’t trust Montreal to fill the net up, but I have no other claim to that other than instinct, and wouldnt hold my forehead in disbelief if the tallied 5+ times. When you look at the Min/Win game, you are speaking my language we have a nice little road fav, so Im huge on the second line… HOWEVER, i hate that they are coming off huge days- If you didnt own Granlund last time out, you didnt win vs those who did, plain and simple, so he will draw attention here in a spot where HE SHOULD be under the radar, with huge home favs in Pit and Wash, 11 game slate, tucked into one of the late spots (traditionally, small $$ gpps will have lower % ownership on large slates in the later games- you really see it in baseball… the only thing I can think is, its because its further to the right on the menu bar… fckn fickle human creatures, rent we?? IDK, someone smarter than me probably knows if my hunches are accurate). ANYWAY- I love the Minn/Wpg game to turn into 10 kittens fighting over a ball of yarn and 10+ goals- 10+ goal game combined scores are at an all time high this year, AND the goalie pants rule just went into effect this weekend—- I like looking for same game stacks this year, away team 2nd line, home team 1st line, room to change the format slightly to feature PP stacks in the right spots.

• RyanPfeiffer

@noddy said...

haha the worst. I have that relationship with the St. Louis Cardinals and Pittsburgh Pirates.

• RyanPfeiffer

@TimmerRC said...

I think there are much safer choices for cash tonight, but for a GPP Toronto is definitely a must-consider so by all means, hold steady!

man it is screaming FADE to me now… people are going to chase that number from yesterday—- i couldnt help myself- Toronto goals scored 2nd night b2b- 24 goals in 11 games. yuk. toronto goals against 2nd night b2b- 34 goals in 11 games… so they are right at average, about 5.5 goals a game, with the lean towards the opponent. i see FADE THIS GAME written all over it, and Im sleeping fine if Im wrong… playing against the crowd feels worth it.

• DirtyDylz

@RyanPfeiffer said...

man it is screaming FADE to me now… people are going to chase that number from yesterday—- i couldnt help myself- Toronto goals scored 2nd night b2b- 24 goals in 11 games. yuk. toronto goals against 2nd night b2b- 34 goals in 11 games… so they are right at average, about 5.5 goals a game, with the lean towards the opponent. i see FADE THIS GAME written all over it, and Im sleeping fine if Im wrong… playing against the crowd feels worth it.

I promised myself Id always have exposure to Curtis McElhinney. I am pretty sure Dallas does well, just struggling to pinpoint who

• rgreuli

My two favorite stacks of the night are Nashville and Winnipeg.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).