7:05 PM :  Vancouver ( 185 ) at  Columbus ( -225 ) —- T: 185
    7:05 PM :  San Jose ( 110 ) at  Boston ( -130 ) —- T: 110
    7:05 PM :  N.Y. Islanders ( 105 ) at  Philadelphia ( -125 ) —- T: 105
    7:35 PM :  St. Louis ( 105 ) at  Toronto ( -125 ) —- T: 105
    7:35 PM :  Dallas ( 105 ) at  Ottawa ( -125 ) —- T: 105
    7:35 PM :  Los Angeles ( -110 ) at  Florida ( -110 ) —- T: -110
    9:05 PM :  Pittsburgh ( -210 ) at  Colorado ( 175 ) —- T: -210
    9:05 PM :  Montreal ( -170 ) at  Arizona ( 150 ) —- T: -170

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NHL strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterdays games will be moved to yesterdays NHL thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted. Please make it a point to say if you’re talking about Cash or GPP options.

• King_Stefan

How does your cash strategy change on a big 10+ game slate. Do you focus on a few games or try and roster as many teams as possible? Is a mini stack (2 linemates) less wise in a larger slate?

• Codith

Id like to know the same thing. I used to do 4-4-1 stacks but that doesnt seem to work. I see a lot of people using 4-5 teams on a lu now and winning. Maybe just stack lines with guys you like the most? Preferably if a line is hot take 1-2 of them and mix them with other hot lines?

• PhoFever

I mini-stack for cash games sometimes on big slates, but I mostly try to make sure I have exposure to all the games I want a piece of. So tonight, getting players from PIT, CBJ, WASH and TOR in each lineup is a priority (for the most part).

• Codith

@Seahawkto said...

I mini-stack for cash games sometimes on big slates, but I mostly try to make sure I have exposure to all the games I want a piece of. So tonight, getting players from PIT, CBJ, WASH and TOR in each lineup is a priority (for the most part).

PIT/CLS/WAS are my main targets……NYI/NYR L3/OTT my secondary

• kdub

I’ve never played cash games and its been to my detriment… so I’m gonna start playing some… hopefully keep my BR at least steady

• sizzlebeans

So..can De’toilet score any goals against Holtby tonight? Does Sid get his 1000th? Is MTL going to continue to flounder? Does firing the coach work for the B’s the way it has for NYI and STL? Is NYI/PHI the highest scoring game of the night? WTF is wrong with the Sens?

• Codith

All I can say is have exposure to it all if you can…..hockey just is so volatile in terms of consistency.

• kdub

@sizzlebeans said...

So..can De’toilet score any goals against Holtby tonight? Does Sid get his 1000th? Is MTL going to continue to flounder? Does firing the coach work for the B’s the way it has for NYI and STL? Is NYI/PHI the highest scoring game of the night? WTF is wrong with the Sens?

You’re a toilet!

• PhoFever

kdub- Cash games are a much more sustainable way to feed the habit. I switched my strategy months ago away from GPPs and it’s been a revelation. You can play much more often and do more lineups per night this way.

• savedatmoneyquan

Not sure how I want to approach Toronto. Not counting on another shut out from the blues but they’ve appeared to be better since they fired their coach.

• kdub

@Seahawkto said...

kdub- Cash games are a much more sustainable way to feed the habit. I switched my strategy months ago away from GPPs and it’s been a revelation. You can play much more often and do more lineups per night this way.

Yeah thats what I was thinking… that big GPP payout is tantalizing but chasing the top prize never pans out. ill still play them but not nearly as much as I have in the past

• PhoFever

@Codith said...

All I can say is have exposure to it all if you can…..hockey just is so volatile in terms of consistency.

On the subject of volatility, I’m not so sure I agree. I’ve found picking hockey players to easier than picking which wider receivers and tight ends will get catches, or which NBA player will get minutes. There isn’t the same “game flow” phenomenon that can completely screw you over in the NBA or NFL (i.e. a team gets behind or ahead, so they sit their stars or completely shift their offensive focus).

Also love stat categories like +/- and blocks. Ensures that your stars can get points even if they aren’t involved in a scoring play.

• kdub

When you guys make cash lineups do you usually stick with 1 or make multiple variations?

• Codith

@Seahawkto said...

On the subject of volatility, I’m not so sure I agree. I’ve found picking hockey players to easier than picking which wider receivers and tight ends will get catches, or which NBA player will get minutes. There isn’t the same “game flow” phenomenon that can completely screw you over in the NBA or NFL (i.e. a team gets behind or ahead, so they sit their stars or completely shift their offensive focus).

Also love stat categories like +/- and blocks. Ensures that your stars can get points even if they aren’t involved in a scoring play.

Ya but compared to NBA or NFL…..the high end stars typically will hit at least 1x value…usually 2. In hockey, unless they are on the scoreboard, they is never a gaurentee that they hit that. I know if I take Lebron you will automatically get 2-3-4 times value…that is the same for most top end NBA players. You don’t get shutout in NBA, you can in hockey. If I looked through my history I can find numerous times where my 7.5k+ cost guys had goose eggs or less than 5FP. Plus you have 4 even strength lines and 2 powerplay lines. Look at a team like TOR…..you pick the Kadri lines but Marners line goes off, or Matthews. In NBA and NFL you do not need to worry about the variance to those degrees. I know Leveon Bell is going to get me at least X….maybe the secondary gets a TD or a big rush….but odds are if he is playing I can expect at least a floor which exceeds 1X value.

• PhoFever

I always make lots of variations. I’m a risk-averse person and like to spread the risk across multiple lineups. I do, however, use the same group of 2-3 themes/narratives throughout most of my lineups. My main source of variation is trying to account for the different lines in potentially high-scoring contests.

On the subject of Toronto-St. Louis, I’m taking a “law of averages” approach to this one as far as St. Louis is concerned. Two straight shutouts…they can’t possibly keep that pace, and they are on the road against a good team.

• rgreuli

@Seahawkto said...

I always make lots of variations. I’m a risk-averse person and like to spread the risk across multiple lineups. I do, however, use the same group of 2-3 themes/narratives throughout most of my lineups. My main source of variation is trying to account for the different lines in potentially high-scoring contests.

On the subject of Toronto-St. Louis, I’m taking a “law of averages” approach to this one as far as St. Louis is concerned. Two straight shutouts…they can’t possibly keep that pace, and they are on the road against a good team.

St. Louis is going to smoke Toronto and Arizona is going to smoke Montreal. Top stacks tonight St. Louis and Arizona. Team trap is Washington.

• Codith

@Seahawkto said...

See that is the thing though. You pretty much have to make multiple variations across the board. In NFL I can make 3 lines and cover most of what I like. In NHL, like tonight, I have 6-7 teams that are on my radar. Some of those teams I am high on, also at least 2 lines, which at any time could go off. So I end up playing 10-20 lines to try and get those mixes in with whatever my core is.

In the subject of that game, if you are looking at the leafs based on those assumptions, you have to pretty much roll at least 3 different lines. I am sure one of them will put up numbers tonight. All I am saying, is for the comparison in DFS sports, if you aren’t playing a lot of variations, you probably won’t do very well.

• sizzlebeans

@Seahawkto said...

You are keeping in mind that they have 3 road shut-outs in the last 4 road games? Obviously this is due to regress to the mean, but I don’t know that you can expect the leafs to go bananas tonight. They struggled a bit with the Stars last game, who are terrible on defense (though they played well the other night).

• lertno

@Seahawkto said...

Which cash games do you find you do the best with?

• mathewsmarner

i think the opposite is true for arizona, also i see value in the stars/sens game

• mathewsmarner

liking anh

• stellagirl

I think the Pens are a trap tonight so while I will have some exposure, I will be treading lightly. Something has happened the last week and a half in the Avs locker room and they’re suddenly playing some semi-respectable hockey.

I could easily see this as an overtime 3-2 win for the avs.

• PhoFever

@Codith said...

Ya but compared to NBA or NFL…..the high end stars typically will hit at least 1x value…usually 2. In hockey, unless they are on the scoreboard, they is never a gaurentee that they hit that. I know if I take Lebron you will automatically get 2-3-4 times value…that is the same for most top end NBA players. You don’t get shutout in NBA, you can in hockey. If I looked through my history I can find numerous times where my 7.5k+ cost guys had goose eggs or less than 5FP. Plus you have 4 even strength lines and 2 powerplay lines. Look at a team like TOR…..you pick the Kadri lines but Marners line goes off, or Matthews. In NBA and NFL you do not need to worry about the variance to those degrees. I know Leveon Bell is going to get me at least X….maybe the secondary gets a TD or a big rush….but odds are if he is playing I can expect at least a floor which exceeds 1X value.

It may be true that in NFL and NBA its easier to secure a high floor by picking a few (usually very expensive) superstars. But it seems to me that getting beyond that floor – and out ahead of other DFS players – is the tricky part. In the NFL, ownership is high for those 3 RBS that score 20 a game (Bell/Elliot/D.Johnson); they are no big secret and those points don’t necessarily get you ahead of the pack. In NBA, on the other hand, if you pay up for LeBron and Westbrook for your guaranteed floor, what are you left with? A nauseating nightly scrap heap of Aaron Gordon, Malcom Brogdon, Jahlil Okafor, Tony Parker. Pray that all 4 of those guys get lots of minutes, have their best game of the year, and you might win something.

In the NHL, meanwhile, the dynamics are different. Paying up for the superstar is almost the contrarian play, night-in, night-out. Why pay $35 for Crosby (Yahoo) when you can pay $16 for his PP line mate and get some of Crosby’s points that way? Overall, I feel like the non-guaranteed nature of superstar points in the NHL forces you to to build more balanced lineups. You can buy cheap exposure to superstars and spend more evenly across your lineup. And then there’s the whole goalie thing, which we haven’t touched upon. In NHL DFS you can use the goalies as your floor-builders if you play the matchups right.

• sizzlebeans

Am I crazy for liking Detroit and Philly skaters tonight? Based on Corsica Hockey data, those two have some exploitable match-ups.

• Codith

Goalies have also been crap shoots. Usually that is where my lines fall apart. Pay 9k+ for one and they get shelled while the 7k guys get shutouts. Its like a roulette wheel sometimes when it comes to picking a goalie. I make very similar comparison to goalies as I would say pitchers in MLB. They really can make or break your line up.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Use our links to sign up and deposit on sites listed in this thread to get these bonuses:

• FanDuel

Get 1-month of RotoGrinders Premium for FREE (a ~$40value) by signing up through one of our links!

Learn More
  • DraftKings

Sign up for DraftKings using a RotoGrinders link & receive our DraftKings Premium content FREE for 1 month. That’s a ~$40 value! No DraftKings promo code necessary!

Learn More
  • FantasyDraft

FantasyDraft strives to put players first, with a mission to “provide a fun and fair experience for all.” To this end, the site has a well-built, easy-to-use interface and a the first of its kind in offering “Rake-Free” fantasy contests.

Learn More

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week. Our goal is to help all of our members make more money playing daily fantasy sports!

Bet with your head, not over it!
Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-Gambler