NHL FORUM

Comments

• bhdevault

• Lead Moderator

• Blogger of the Month

7:05 PM :  Carolina ( 150 ) at  Tampa Bay ( -170 ) —- T: 150
    8:05 PM :  Pittsburgh ( 0 ) at  Chicago ( 0 ) —- T: 0

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NHL strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterdays games will be moved to yesterdays NHL thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted. Please make it a point to say if you’re talking about Cash or GPP options.

• jimmyquinella

• Blogger of the Month

I am setting most of my lines early-ish. Do we expect any trades from these teams?

• clrockny24

I read the penguins have made 21 deadline deals sine 2006, so they might look for defense. Of course the Blackhawks traded for Oduya as well.

• Messiah717

Just make sure you double check after 3pm.

• sizzlebeans

NHL really needs to correct their scheduling next year. Why do we need 12 games on a Tuesday night? It’s not like anyone can sit down and watch all 12. Does it not affect them that they can’t get all games on the slate viewed by the fans. Are they trying to drive up sales on replays of games? They should evenly disperse games across the week a little better than 3/12/2/10

• kdub

@jimmyquinella said...

I am setting most of my lines early-ish. Do we expect any trades from these teams?

CAR could sell and I read that TB isnt done either

• Messiah717

@sizzlebeans said...

NHL really needs to correct their scheduling next year. Why do we need 12 games on a Tuesday night? It’s not like anyone can sit down and watch all 12. Does it not affect them that they can’t get all games on the slate viewed by the fans. Are they trying to drive up sales on replays of games? They should evenly disperse games across the week a little better than 3/12/2/10

I agree with you. The scheduling has been silly. Perhaps the bye weeks have had something to do with it but it’s dumb to have these huge slates and then have so many nights of just two games.

• stellagirl

2 game slate? Pass. See you all tomorrow.

• Indycrocodile

• Blogger of the Month

I think 10 arenas are shared with an NBA team. Since NBA seems to be heavy on Wednesday and Friday, it would make sense to see a bit larger slate on Tuesday and Thursday. Though I must admit, seeing NBA guys play on ice would be extremely entertaining.

• JimKronlund

@sizzlebeans said...

I agree with you but I bet they have a good reason that we do not know about.

• sizzlebeans

@Indycrocodile said...

I think 10 arenas are shared with an NBA team. Since NBA seems to be heavy on Wednesday and Friday, it would make sense to see a bit larger slate on Tuesday and Thursday. Though I must admit, seeing NBA guys play on ice would be extremely entertaining.

makes sense

although I don’t remember so many 2 game slates last year. It mostly seemed to dip down to 4 with the occasional 3. Prior to that I didn’t play NHL DFS so I only paid attention to when my team was playing, and not how many other games were happening.

• dyavid

The NHL’s big nights of the week have always been Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday. This is nothing new. I suspect that the league scheduled less games today specifically because it’s the trade deadline and dont want teams playing too shorthanded

• kdub

@dyavid said...

The NHL’s big nights of the week have always been Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday. This is nothing new. I suspect that the league scheduled less games today specifically because it’s the trade deadline and dont want teams playing too shorthanded

Last year didnt have nearly as many 2-3 game slates, it was much more spread out, at least thats how I remember it.. i could be wrong

• PhoFever

Enjoy the 2-3 game slates for what they are. Personally, I kinda enjoy the challenge of digging deeper into a limited # of rosters to find the tournament-winning punt plays and taking harder looks at 3rd and 4th lines.

In some ways, it beats nights like last night where I guessed right on the Boston line, guessed mostly right on Nashville, and still ended up with a big fat $0 in my account.

• sizzlebeans

@Seahawkto said...

Enjoy the 2-3 game slates for what they are. Personally, I kinda enjoy the challenge of digging deeper into a limited # of rosters to find the tournament-winning punt plays and taking harder looks at 3rd and 4th lines.

In some ways, it beats nights like last night where I guessed right on the Boston line, guessed mostly right on Nashville, and still ended up with a big fat $0 in my account.

Three game slates are a maybe play, but 2 is right out. not a whole lot you can do to diversify without just throwing darts at individual players.

Instead of researching for today, I looked back at last night to see what I could have done better. Last night I narrowed my targets down to 3 team’s forward lines (BOS 1 and 2, PHI 1 and 2, and SJ 2 and PP1 [Pavelski, Couture, Marleau, Schlemko]) and tried to get my NSH and PIT exposure through Josi and Schultz. Was at a $0 until Marleau’s fantastic assist, then the Joe Pa goal got me just above minimum cash. MY LUs were:

PHI1/SJ-PP1+Schlemko+Dumba+Luongo
    BOS2/SJ2+Josi+Spurgeon+Jones
    BOS1/PHI2+McQuaid+Shultz+Murray

…. I threw in a flyer LU using VAN2 last minute which didn’t work out. Didn’t see Hansen get scratched and knew it was a risky play, but would be very low owned if they hit.

Looking at the winning formulas from the 3 tourneys i played, it came down to PHI1, NSH1, WPG1, MIN2, and one guy had a random/non-correlated LU that got him in the top 3 or 5. My research had the top 3 plays as BOS, PIT, SJ, with PHI, NSH, WPG as the next 3 (VAN came up 7th). I changed a couple things up on how I structured my (manual) model, and I think I’ll try that method again tomorrow. I intentionally avoided NSH (to my detriment) thinking they would be so highly owned, and subbed SJ in their place – also for the late night hammer effect. My other mistake was not using Mase or even Holtby, even though they came up high in my process. I used Luongo, Jones, and Murray instead. Looking forward to trying again tomorrow.

• Danforth11

https://twitter.com/NHLBlackhawks/status/836993015961030657 Does anyone have word what the Defense lines will look like tonight?

• sizzlebeans

apparently DK is down again today?

• Messiah717

I did pretty well last night so was happy. I enjoy the large slates because of all the action. The two gamers are boring in my opinion and like sizzle said you’re just throwing darts. Plus, don’t like the idea of going up against max entries when there’s such a small player pool.

• PhoFever

@sizzlebeans said...

Three game slates are a maybe play, but 2 is right out. not a whole lot you can do to diversify without just throwing darts at individual players.

Instead of researching for today, I looked back at last night to see what I could have done better. Last night I narrowed my targets down to 3 team’s forward lines (BOS 1 and 2, PHI 1 and 2, and SJ 2 and PP1 [Pavelski, Couture, Marleau, Schlemko]) and tried to get my NSH and PIT exposure through Josi and Schultz. Was at a $0 until Marleau’s fantastic assist, then the Joe Pa goal got me just above minimum cash. MY LUs were:

PHI1/SJ-PP1+Schlemko+Dumba+Luongo
    BOS2/SJ2+Josi+Spurgeon+Jones
    BOS1/PHI2+McQuaid+Shultz+Murray

…. I threw in a flyer LU using VAN2 last minute which didn’t work out. Didn’t see Hansen get scratched and knew it was a risky play, but would be very low owned if they hit.

Looking at the winning formulas from the 3 tourneys i played, it came down to PHI1, NSH1, WPG1, MIN2, and one guy had a random/non-correlated LU that got him in the top 3 or 5. My research had the top 3 plays as BOS, PIT, SJ, with PHI, NSH, WPG as the next 3 (VAN came up 7th). I changed a couple things up on how I structured my (manual) model, and I think I’ll try that method again tomorrow. I intentionally avoided NSH (to my detriment) thinking they would be so highly owned, and subbed SJ in their place – also for the late night hammer effect. My other mistake was not using Mase or even Holtby, even though they came up high in my process. I used Luongo, Jones, and Murray instead. Looking forward to trying again tomorrow.

I enjoyed reading your break down. Not sure I have the time to invest in the same depth of analysis for the big slates; that’s one reason I like the smaller ones (less research).

In the case of the 2-gamer tonight, I think there is still a lot to strategize about before you get to dart throwing… play small-field contests and you won’t have to worry about darts as much. For instance, Chicago is red hot but has the weirdly horrible PK%. Do you gamble and spend big on PIT PP1, or bank on Chicago’s momentum plus PIT on a B2B to neutralize that advantage? And if you’re going w CHI, do you take the discount the #1 line offers so that you can also roster Kucherov/Hedman etc, or do you spend big on CHI2 and find value on the TB 2nd or Carolina lines?

• scsa1998

@sizzlebeans said...

Could these small slates on Wednesday have anything to do with NBCSN having the game? NBA used to do it where on TNT games those were the only games on for ratings purposes.

• sizzlebeans

I threw in a free entry. Using the Point line for TB and mixing in some PIT/CHI skaters/defenders. Vas in goal.

• maxeernst

If anybody who has incentives wants to check out my DK h2h article, I’ve been tinkering with some new formats and would love some feedback.

You can comment at the end of the article.

• sizzlebeans

Vanek to Florida is interesting.

• kdub

@sizzlebeans said...

Vanek to Florida is interesting.

expected the Wings to get more out of him than that…. pretty disappointed

• Staa0602

@kdub said...

expected the Wings to get more out of him than that…. pretty disappointed

As a Wild fan, I would’ve loved to get a 3rd rounder for him last year… He can score goals when he feels like he’s interested in that particular game, but other than that, just really brings nothing but sadness and disappointment with him. One of the best transactions the Wild did this year was pay him to go away, in my opinion.

• kdub

@Staa0602 said...

As a Wild fan, I would’ve loved to get a 3rd rounder for him last year… He can score goals when he feels like he’s interested in that particular game, but other than that, just really brings nothing but sadness and disappointment with him. One of the best transactions the Wild did this year was pay him to go away, in my opinion.

The Wings got a 2nd and 3rd for BRENDAN SMITH!!! I expected more for Vanek

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).