NHL FORUM

• PensDangleSniper94

What are some key points in success when building a cash lineup for NHL DFS? How do you determine how much you spend on goalie and what matchups to select skaters from?

Thanks!

• sizzlebeans

I like to pay up at defenseman and often use 3 on DK for cash games, since they tend to have higher floors than forwards due to block shots. I look for the cheapest goalie I think I can get a win from most of the time, but that’s not always hard and fast – sometimes if I have cap space I’ll pay all the way up for the best match-up. Selecting forward match-ups is a bit of a process, but that plays a role for sure.

• PigskinaBlanket

• x3

2019 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

• x2

2016 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

Pay up at defense, play the biggest favorite goalie (although this has sucked this year) and focus on players that get ice time and PP time. Cash Check. Youre welcome.

• whitepuma

So in heads up cash games is it considered optimal to have 3 defenseman? for instance a C W W D stack C W D Stack and another lone D ?

• Canuckage

@whitepuma said...

So in heads up cash games is it considered optimal to have 3 defenseman? for instance a C W W D stack C W D Stack and another lone D ?

I don’t play cash games often but personally I wouldn’t go with 3 dman. Forwards always have a higher chance of getting points than defenseman. Would only consider picking a 3rd dman if salary is very low and its between like Scandella or some 3rd-4th line forward then I’ll go with a dman with pp time.

• whitepuma

Yeah it is interesting because I can see what the OP is saying about the higher floor with 3 D men and I can see the logic behind it. I play gpp’s so this concept is totally new to me. I would be interested to hear some more opinions

• Nobakov

@Canuckage said...

I don’t play cash games often but personally I wouldn’t go with 3 dman. Forwards always have a higher chance of getting points than defenseman. Would only consider picking a 3rd dman if salary is very low and its between like Scandella or some 3rd-4th line forward then I’ll go with a dman with pp time.

They have a higher chance of getting 0 or .5 or 1 too!

For cash you’re looking for the safest option to reach value. In most instances that’s going to be 3 D. What you’re trying to avoid in cash is players getting you 0, .5’s and 1’s and I really look for guys that I think will have a 2.5-3 absolute minimum floor with the upside still. Most of the time the safest bet to get there is with D.

GENERALLY forwards are going to have a much much higher ceiling….. and a lower floor.

I almost always use 3 D in cash. Sometimes it makes sense not too though. I take everything into account before I edit the final time.

• sizzlebeans

Another point in using a 3rd d-man is you can often get a 2.5 point floor player in the mid $3k range. At the same price, who are you going to pull out of the forward field for that price with that type of floor? It also allows you to spend up higher on the 5 forwards you do play, in theory increasing the floor for your forwards, too.

• whitepuma

Also as a side question, Is stacking still considered the best way to go when constructing lineups?

I read a article this morning where it was suggesting that stacking isn’t the best way of constructing line ups in cash and that it is better to make single picks in order to avoid being too heavy on one outcome…Not sure I agree personally

• sizzlebeans

Depends on the slate. I prefer pairs in cash.

• whitepuma

Pairs on the same line you mean sizzle yeah ?

• sizzlebeans

Yea, like a Eichel/Kane and leave out Pominville.

• whitepuma

• Blahaaron

@sizzlebeans said...

Yea, like a Eichel/Kane and leave out Pominville.

Only problem with that is sometimes the 3rd guy you didn’t pick goes off and maybe one of the guys you picked didn’t.

• sizzlebeans

@Blahaaron said...

Only problem with that is sometimes the 3rd guy you didn’t pick goes off and maybe one of the guys you picked didn’t.

Eichel/Kane went off, Pomi didn’t. You’re not playing the full line in cash because the odds are Pomi won’t go off playing on the same line as shot hog Kane. There are better ways to spend your $4.4k than Pomi.

• yisman

@whitepuma said...

Also as a side question, Is stacking still considered the best way to go when constructing lineups?

I read a article this morning where it was suggesting that stacking isn’t the best way of constructing line ups in cash and that it is better to make single picks in order to avoid being too heavy on one outcome…Not sure I agree personally

For cash I just take value and if anything shy away from stacks. Cash you want higher floors and also exposure to multiple games. I don’t want to stack a team even if they look to be in a good spot because it’s always possible the team (or line) gets shut down and gives you 2-3 combined FPs from several players.

Obviously the opposite of GPPs where you want to stack lines or powerplay units.

• YoungFischer

1) Identify one or two cheap players who may be used as punts. This will be low priced fowards or dmen who will get some PP time and are on teams expected to score a lot of goals. Set those names aside.

2) Rank all games by team total. Go down the list, rostering 1-2 of the top players from each game who will get both PP time and top line time. Give priority to dmen.

3) Continue until you run out of salary cap or roster spots, whichever comes first.

4) Go back and either add in or remove players you already rostered and substitute them with players from (1) until you have a valid team, minus the average cost of a goalie.

5) Fill in with an average priced goalie.

6) Tinker until happy.

ez game

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).