INDUSTRY FORUM

Comments

• DraftKings_CM

• DraftKings Representative

We’d like to formally announce the following DFS scoring changes we have made for the 2019 NHL season, as well as the addition of Showdown Captain Mode:

We are implementing these scoring changes in response to community & user feedback sourced over the course of a year-long-plus research process in an effort to grow NHL DFS. Though we heard a wide range of user feedback, they all followed the same theme: NHL scoring needed more excitement. We believe these changes accomplish the intent without compromising the nature of our existing NHL DFS product.

Our survey results also showed nearly 75% of users wanted a Captain spot in Showdown Mode. The addition of Showdown Captain Mode is in alignment with our other DFS sport offerings, it has been proven to grow different sports across DFS & data has shown it to be a catalyst for the growth of Showdown.

Showdown Captain Mode is especially effective in bringing new users into a sport. Bringing more new users into NHL DFS will help us to offer larger GPPs as the sport grows, a clear benefit to everyone in our user base.

Another data supported effort we’ve implemented to increase scoring are Bonuses. We carefully sorted through options for Bonuses to reward great performances, while avoiding a resulting scenario where Bonuses would be the primary source of scoring. Based on the data sourced from last season, we are confident in the scoring proportion of this mix.

The change to goalie scoring with the addition of 2 FPTS for an Overtime Loss falls in alignment with NHL goalie statistics having not two, but three potential game results (W-L-OT), with each of the three being scored differently (6FPTS -0FPTS-2PTS in DFS scoring, 2PTS-0PTS-1PT in NHL standings). In Classic Mode, a win was previously valued as 15 additional saves, whereas now the number is closer to 9 additional saves.

DFS innovation, whether it’s increased scoring or Captain Showdown Mode, has been effective in growing other sports we offer. The data we gathered through community sentiment, our Voice of the Player committee, user interviews, and numerous user surveys supported innovative solutions to enhance the sweat of NHL DFS. Increased scoring has been proven to grow games and growing the game will support the larger GPPs we intend to offer.

- DraftKings Community Team

• DraftKings_CM

If your on a mobile phone, please view this thread in landscape mode to see the entire chart above. Thanks!

• PigskinaBlanket

RG Overall Ranking

• x3

2019 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

• x2

2016 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

Interesting to see how others react. I always think these types of changes create an edge.

• Ryanoss

RG Overall Ranking

• 2015 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

There was a thread with more traffic. Even pondered some strategy for the new setup.

• pokerrob1970

DraftDay BLB Finalist

So 5 SOG are worth more than two assists.

• yountingly

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #39

RG Tiered Ranking

Seems like some drastic changes. Like it though.

• bhdevault

• Lead Moderator

• Blogger of the Month

@Ryanoss said...

There was a thread with more traffic. Even pondered some strategy for the new setup.

It’s still in the NHL forum. Was created by a member who was banned and created a new account, so I took it off main.

• Felixxberg

RG Overall Ranking

Back to the drawing board! At first look, I really like it.

0.2 for shootout goals made no sense. 1.3 for blocked shots and 0.7 for saves will reduce ties. There’s no new category like PIM, hits or differential (I would hate that). The bonuses make it more exciting.

Overall it’s a great fix!

• DraftKings_CM

@pokerrob1970 said...

So 5 SOG are worth more than two assists.

SOG is worth 1.5 points, Assists are worth 5 points.

Therefore two Assists = 10 points, 5 Shots on Goals = 10.5 points (7.5 points PLUS the Shots Bonus earned for 5 shots that is worth 3 points)

We think this a game changer. More exciting live sweat, bigger scoring, meaningful bonuses, and theoretically more skillful than ever before.

“Overall it’s a great fix!”

Thanks Felixxberg, our team worked really hard to evolve the game, we are fairly positive we landed in a place where players will find NHL to be more exciting than ever before!

• pokerrob1970

DraftDay BLB Finalist

@DraftKings_CM said...

@pokerrob1970 said…

SOG is worth 1.5 points, Assists are worth 5 points.

Therefore two Assists = 10 points, 5 Shots on Goals = 10.5 points (7.5 points PLUS the Shots Bonus earned for 5 shots that is worth 3 points)

We think this a game changer. More exciting live sweat, bigger scoring, and theoretically more skillful than ever before.

Ya maybe. In a way, it diminishes, the value of playmakers over a guy that just likes to shoot.

Assists used to be worth 0.66 of a goal now they are worth 0.59 but really goals were 3.5 as you had to get a SOG to score. So assists were worth 0.57 of a goal and are now worth 0.50 of one. Unless it happens to occur on the players 5th shot and with the bonus it is now worth 0.38 of that goal.

I think I would have been happier if you had offered different values for Primary assists (6pts) and secondary assists (4.5 pts) and a bonus for three assists instead of three points.

• delcote

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #58

RG Tiered Ranking

Big fan of the 2 pts for OT loss, it’s a no-brainer if you ask me. Like Felixxberg mentioned, added categories like PIM and Hits would’ve been a horrible addition. Overall fan of the changes except maybe for the relatively “high” bonuses. Get ready to tilt when a chalk player’s dump-in sneaks on goal and counts for a 5th shot.

• pokerrob1970

DraftDay BLB Finalist

You get 3 bonus points for a Hat trick. Would that player additionally receive the scoring 3 points in a game bonus?

• breadispain

Are there any examples of how this might’ve affected previous tournament results? The rest of the changes appear fine, but the bonus structure seems like it’s going to totally throw off any existing strategy and add additional randomness + strongly favor chalk. A great performance is already the reward for whomever picks those players, it doesn’t need to be padded.

• Felixxberg

RG Overall Ranking

@breadispain said...

Are there any examples of how this might’ve affected previous tournament results? The rest of the changes appear fine, but the bonus structure seems like it’s going to totally throw off any existing strategy and add additional randomness + strongly favor chalk. A great performance is already the reward for whomever picks those players, it doesn’t need to be padded.

It makes a difference when you have a low owned player who scores a hat trick, like when I had Perlini at 1% when he did last season. It separates you from the pack when you have players who score 3 points. Not sure if it really changes anything but it should be more exciting!

I hope DK lists last season’s game logs with the new scoring format and average for the season with splits and everything.

• Jenesaisblah

I’m more wondering about the d men. Like your guy Felix, Connaution, you know he is good for maybe 3 blocks a game a couple times per week. His price should be around 4 grand now..and then you have d men who are in the 4000 and 5000s who don’t shoot much or block shots but they get the minutes and maybe a power play role. How are these players going to be priced? Why should a d man who doesn’t shoot much or block shots be more than a guy who does? I realize some may be priced based on potential but some of these players prices better come down when they don’t get the pts for blocking shots or shooting. I know a few.

• Jenesaisblah

I also think Brent Burns should be the most expensive player in the whole player pool. He has the most potential of anyone to get every single bonus every single game

• Zieg30

@DraftKings_CM said...

Thanks Felixxberg, our team worked really hard to evolve the game, we are fairly positive we landed in a place where players will find NHL to be more exciting than ever before!

I hesitate to say this given that I’m sure the team did work hard and I do like when DK focuses on NHL, but I am not a fan of these changes, and in particular the new bonuses/bonus values.

The bonuses will have a negative impact in two ways: (1) they will make following the leaderboard much more difficult, as not only will you have to calculate whether certain players on teams behind your leading entry have to do certain things to catch you, but you have to keep track of who can get what bonuses by doing what actions (and there are just too many things now that will give a lot of points randomly); and (2) they (the shots and points bonuses) will make it much harder to have any chance at winning if you miss the one player on the night who gets a hat trick, which will mean more evenings will become pointless to follow earlier (this will have the exact opposite impact as what is intended as it will make the slates much less exciting more quickly).

In any event, it’s somewhat difficult to determine the true impact of the changes otherwise because all actions are increasing in value, some by double, some by more. Based on the ratios, all I can tell conclusively without a deeper dive is that the goalie win and shutout are now less valuable than before.

Edit: I’d also add that the drive to increase numbers simply makes things more difficult to follow as well. Smaller values for certain actions keeps things simpler and more manageable and is just easier to follow. Being ten points ahead of the next lineup behind you should mean something. Now it really won’t. I would have preferred that DK simply tweak the existing points structure rather than double everything, and tweak it further from there. I am unsure why anyone believes that higher scoring = a better sweat (as this isn’t real sports, where the scoring means things are happening, here, it’s just different values for the same actions)?

Edit #2: The more I look at the numbers, the less happy I am. Why should a player who got 3 blocked shots get so many more points than a player who got 2? Whether a player gets 2 or 3 blocks in a single game is pretty arbitrary. These bonuses just distort the scoring in a negative way.

• breadispain

I’m 100% in agreement with you, Zieg30. I hope some revisions are made during the preseason, but I doubt we’ll see them. It seems like this is the result of some research and user surveys, and they’re giving the majority think they want at the expense of, like, actual gameplay and skill. We’ll see how it all unfolds soon, but this just feels more like gambling now, and the last thing I want when I’m actually gambling is “more of a sweat” for whether an extra block or shot is going to make or break the bank each night.

• DraftKings_CM

Ya maybe. In a way, it diminishes, the value of playmakers over a guy that just likes to shoot.
    Assists used to be worth 0.66 of a goal now they are worth 0.59 but really goals were 3.5 as you had to get a SOG to score. So assists were worth 0.57 of a goal and are now worth 0.50 of one. Unless it happens to occur on the players 5th shot and with the bonus it is now worth 0.38 of that goal.
    I think I would have been happier if you had offered different values for Primary assists (6pts) and secondary assists (4.5 pts) and a bonus for three assists instead of three points.

It is true that players with a higher volume of shots on goal will benefit from the shot bonus. However, with the former showdown scoring system, the shooter had an even greater edge. 1 assist was once the value of 2.5 shots in showdown where now 1 assist is worth more than 3 shots.

Regarding assists, there are two reasons why we will always score primary & secondary assists equally. Our stats provider does not differentiate between primary and secondary assists, so the feed does not distinguish assists by order of occurrence (example: the primary assist may be reported as the 2nd assist by the feed). Additionally, the NHL does not score primary & secondary assists differently, they both count as an assist on the scoresheet. We followed this very logic to differentiate scoring between losses and overtime losses for goalies, which are scored differently by the NHL.

You get 3 bonus points for a Hat trick. Would that player additionally receive the scoring 3 points in a game bonus?

Yes, that is correct.

It makes a difference when you have a low owned player who scores a hat trick, like when I had Perlini at 1% when he did last season. It separates you from the pack when you have players who score 3 points. Not sure if it really changes anything but it should be more exciting!
    I hope DK lists last season’s game logs with the new scoring format and average for the season with splits and everything.

Player cards will be updated to reflect our revised scoring system for last season’s game log once our preseason contests are posted. Stay tuned!

I’m more wondering about the d men. Like your guy Felix, Connaution, you know he is good for maybe 3 blocks a game a couple times per week. His price should be around 4 grand now..and then you have d men who are in the 4000 and 5000s who don’t shoot much or block shots but they get the minutes and maybe a power play role. How are these players going to be priced? Why should a d man who doesn’t shoot much or block shots be more than a guy who does? I realize some may be priced based on potential but some of these players prices better come down when they don’t get the pts for blocking shots or shooting. I know a few.

As is the case for any sport in DFS, player pricing has and will continue to reflect player values relative to how their scoring compares to one another.

I hesitate to say this given that I’m sure the team did work hard and I do like when DK focuses on NHL, but I am not a fan of these changes, and in particular the new bonuses/bonus values.
    I’m 100% in agreement with you, Zieg30.

We’ve shared these thoughts with our NHL DFS team. Opinions are always welcomed & we encourage anyone to share feedback they may have, especially with the focus is on growing NHL DFS. We also anticipate opinions to change once everyone sees this new scoring system in action. Get us to the NHL season already!

Make it Reign!

• hcassidy

I kinda like the changes, only ones I don’t like are the Shorthanded goal and assist. They only doubled in value from 1 to 2 points, an even strength goal went up by 5.5 points. Would think anything shorthanded would of gone up more as those are rarer as the player doing it is at a disadvantage of a 5 on 4.

• ryanprzy

These scoring changes take the fun out of the game.

I can see what DK is trying to do here because I made these similar mistakes in a Yahoo league I used to run. One year I got cute and added bonuses for things like shutouts and short-handed points and increased the value of hits and blocked shots. My objective was to create a scoring format that would lessen the gap between the “flashy” high-point scorers and the “grittier” players whose real-life on-ice value doesn’t show up in the goals and assists columns in the box score.

The results were disastrous. I had this great group of guys in this 20-team league and I felt awful just a few weeks into the season when matchups were like a coin flip since the playing field was too level and there’d be a guy like Josh Gorges (probably undrafted) sandwiched in between Pat Kane and Phil Kessel (players drafted in the first couple rounds) in the overall rankings. And to have that feeling so soon, just after the start of the season, it ruined a game that I love and we were all stuck in it from October until April because you absolutely cannot change scoring in-season or else pastor says you’ll burn in H-E-doublehockeystick.

So please DK, DON’T:
    1) Get cute
    2) Ruin hockey
    3) Burn in H-E-doublehockeystick

Love,
    Ryan

• SA16

@ryanprzy said...

These scoring changes take the fun out of the game.

I can see what DK is trying to do here because I made these similar mistakes in a Yahoo league I used to run. One year I got cute and added bonuses for things like shutouts and short-handed points and increased the value of hits and blocked shots. My objective was to create a scoring format that would lessen the gap between the “flashy” high-point scorers and the “grittier” players whose real-life on-ice value doesn’t show up in the goals and assists columns in the box score.

The results were disastrous. I had this great group of guys in this 20-team league and I felt awful just a few weeks into the season when matchups were like a coin flip since the playing field was too level and there’d be a guy like Josh Gorges (probably undrafted) sandwiched in between Pat Kane and Phil Kessel (players drafted in the first couple rounds) in the overall rankings. And to have that feeling so soon, just after the start of the season, it ruined a game that I love and we were all stuck in it from October until April because you absolutely cannot change scoring in-season or else pastor says you’ll burn in H-E-doublehockeystick.

So please DK, DON’T:
    1) Get cute
    2) Ruin hockey
    3) Burn in H-E-doublehockeystick

Love,
    Ryan

I’m the first one to criticize DK for some of the things they’ve done but I don’t really think this is the case. They didn’t add random stuff like hits, faceoffs, pim and such. It’s pretty much the same scoring system it’s always been with some of the values slightly different and then the addition of bonuses which only help out guys who were good in the first place. Adding a 5 shots bonus helps someone like Ovechkin not some random guy. Same for the points bonus. The blocks bonus can help some random defenseman a little but but it also helps top guys like Burns. And the goalie scoring is way better. This is an upgrade.

• Jenesaisblah

I would be okay with the blocked shot bonus if it were 5 blocked shots. But 3? I have no idea what they were thinking there. To get the bonuses should be a little more difficult than that.

• DraftKings_CM

We know you’re all eager to play with the updated scoring system and we want to give you every chance to do so before the start of the regular season. In support of your ongoing support of NHL DFS, we will be running contests throughout the NHL preseason with either no rake or guaranteed overlay. Be sure to check out the NHL lobby here: https://www.draftkings.com/lobby#/NHL

Make it Reign!

• ryanprzy

@SA16 said...

I’m the first one to criticize DK for some of the things they’ve done but I don’t really think this is the case. They didn’t add random stuff like hits, faceoffs, pim and such. It’s pretty much the same scoring system it’s always been with some of the values slightly different and then the addition of bonuses which only help out guys who were good in the first place. Adding a 5 shots bonus helps someone like Ovechkin not some random guy. Same for the points bonus. The blocks bonus can help some random defenseman a little but but it also helps top guys like Burns. And the goalie scoring is way better. This is an upgrade.

Any bonus, no matter which players get it, makes for a sloppy format and leans more toward luck than skill.

The bonuses that were already in place beforehand were mucky but still manageable because they were less common (hat tricks and shutouts).

These new bonuses for shots, blocked shots, and saves are going to occur much more frequently. This puts a great divide between:
    -skaters who record 4 shots and skaters who record 5 shots
    -skaters who block 2 shots and skaters who block 3 shots
    -goalies who make 34 saves and goalies who make 35 saves

These are tiny box score stats that will cause a wild swing in DK scores in a sport that is already volatile enough and difficult to predict even without bonuses.

The higher scoring totals are more fun, but it would be so much better if they’d gone with something like:

G = 8 pts
    A (primary) = 5
    A (secondary) = 3
    Shot = 1
    Block = 1

I would have liked to see hits and takeaways in there also added in for 1 point apiece. The physical aspect of the game gets overlooked I think, and while I’m glad PIM are not counted anymore, clean hits would be a viable replacement for that physical part that’s missing.

• breadispain

After playing some preseason, the block and shot bonuses alone don’t seem to affect the gameplay much (though it is somewhat irritating that two assists are worth less than five shots). I still think having shutouts stack with the save bonus, and a hat trick stack with the shot and three point bonus, could be obscene during the regular season. The hat trick bonus specifically seems no longer necessary, if it ever was. 35 saves is already a boon to your lineup, I don’t think it needs to be additionally padded, especially if your goalie gets a shutout.

Right now it seems like a mix of positive and negative changes, but at least you’re trying something new.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Sites mentioned in this thread

Use our links to sign up and deposit on sites listed in this thread to get these bonuses:

Subforum Index

New RotoGrinders Sports Betting Section!

Are you a DFS player who wants to get into sports betting?

If you have access to New Jersey sports betting, then use our DraftKings Sportsbook promo code and our FanDuel Sportsbook promo code to get the best bonuses in the NJ industry.

Those who can take advantage of PA online sports betting should use our SugarHouse PA promo code to get the best sports betting bonus in Pennsylvania.

If you don't yet have access to an online sportsbook, check out Monkey Knife Fight, a prop betting platform available in 31 states. Use our Monkey Knife Fight promo code to get a fantastic bonus.

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week. Our goal is to help all of our members make more money playing daily fantasy sports!

Bet with your head, not over it!
Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-Gambler