PGA FORUM

Comments

• GhostaVeli8701

COURSE: Whistling Straits (Straits), 7,514 yards, par 72.

FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 600 points

Notable Past Winners: Rory Mcilroy (2014) Martin Kaymer (2010)

With another cool Million up for grabs this week on Draftkings the field has been increased, making this the largest Millionaire Maker event of the PGA season. Good luck to everyone looking to take it down!

Final Day Coverage of the DraftKings Millionaire Maker: https://rotogrinders.com/articles/draftkings-pga-millionaire-maker-updates-781868

• TPSC

@valesco said...

14.3%

Wayyyy higher than this.

• TPSC

@tprokopenko said...

Whistling Straits plays nothing like a links course, so I’m hoping some people do pick their golfers thinking that it does. It kind of looks like one, layout wise, but doesn’t play like one at all.

Have you ever been to Kohler? Played the Straits course? Watched a round of golf there? Anything? The Straits Course looks and plays an awful lot like a links course. Extremely wide open. Long course. The fan will blow much of the time. And there’s only a handful of trees on the property. Littered with bunkers.

The Straits Course looks a lot like some of the courses in Bandon, or even Ballybunion.

Even McIlroy had this to say:

“Whistling Straits is as close to a links-style course as you’re going to find in America,” McIlroy said when he visited in June.

• TeHDruiD

TPSC, you’ll learn that everyone knows everything, but nobody knows anything when it comes to PGA lol

I’m going to stick to my formula that has put me in the top 3000th in the drive the green the past 3 weeks and continue to build off of it. You’ll find some good information in these threads typically, but you’re best off reading previews and building your core beliefs around what you know and how the course plays

I can’t emphasize it enough, but PGA is way more stats oriented than people want to believe. If you target the correct stats per course, you’re going to make money in PGA

• speddie

@TeHDruiD said...

TPSC, you’ll learn that everyone knows everything, but nobody knows anything when it comes to PGA lol

I’m going to stick to my formula that has put me in the top 3000th in the drive the green the past 3 weeks and continue to build off of it. You’ll find some good information in these threads typically, but you’re best off reading previews and building your core beliefs around what you know and how the course plays

I can’t emphasize it enough, but PGA is way more stats oriented than people want to believe. If you target the correct stats per course, you’re going to make money in PGA

I agree for the most part, but stats can lie. Ryan Palmer last week was a great fit, stat wise, and blew up. This one is fresh on my mind, but there are guys who match up good and just don’t perform every week on the Tour. It is a great place to start your research though, no doubt.

My early research has me really liking Danny Willet. Great Links player, in good form, played well at the Open and ended up OK at the WGC this past week (T-17 at -1). He didn’t make much noise, but I am hoping that keeps some people off of him. Good price at 7200

• liwvu13

Streb 6,800? I think its impossible to find better value then that. His ownership could be over 30%

• JSteele

Anyone see that trick shot video with Rory? Not to mention the extra practice he’s had over guys who played last week. I think I would play him over Spieth in a single bullet.

Guys like Streb and Finau are also begging to be played

• bjk121

Really liking a Day/Fowler combo so far.

• catt0025

Thoughts on Justin Rose? Was right there this weekend but just couldn’t make a putt on Sunday. Seems cheap and may be overlooked once again. This is before looking into his stats for this style of course though…

• jroyals

@TPSC said...

Have you ever been to Kohler? Played the Straits course? Watched a round of golf there? Anything? The Straits Course looks and plays an awful lot like a links course. Extremely wide open. Long course. The fan will blow much of the time. And there’s only a handful of trees on the property. Littered with bunkers.

The Straits Course looks a lot like some of the courses in Bandon, or even Ballybunion.

“Whistling Straits is as close to a links-style course as you’re going to find in America,” McIlroy said when he visited in June.

It looks like a links course, but doesn’t play like one. Just ask Zach Johnson:

“It’s not a links course. A links course you use the ground, you and a half a gate around, especially with your approach shots, this course entirely aerial. So I don’t, I mean, it may have the aesthetics of a links course with the water and the sand and whatnot, but it’s not a true links golf course. I think it’s good for me because it puts a premium on fairways and it puts a premium on approach shots, as far as greens in regulation, and those are two of my better stats. And obviously in a major you got to putt well and once again typically that’s a strength of mine. So all three of those facets work for me and I can compete here.”

• Bolwellb

• 2015 FAFC Finalist

I love Justin Rose this week. His game should set up well for this course and he’s coming in with very solid form. Hoping he goes under 10% owned.

• bjk121

Paul Casey at 7400 seems like it should be a popular pick.

• jroyals

Here’s Mickelson’s take on the course:

“I think it’s a fun — what’s interesting about Whistling Straits for me is that it’s a Scottish-looking course that plays like an American course. It doesn’t play like a course in Scotland, but yet it has all the aesthetics of it. And so that actually take as little bit of getting used to, the fact that you see the fescues and the sand, the dunes and the pot bunkers and so forth; and you think that you’re — and the openings in front and you think you want to run balls up. But you, it’s just, it just doesn’t work. It’s too soft and the ball stops so you have to fly balls on to the green. So that take as little getting used to, especially when we’re just coming from the British Open.”

• GhostaVeli8701

@catt0025 said...

Thoughts on Justin Rose? Was right there this weekend but just couldn’t make a putt on Sunday. Seems cheap and may be overlooked once again. This is before looking into his stats for this style of course though…

If he can just hold it together in the later rounds with his putting he could be one of the better picks, statistically speaking.

• TPSC

Well if you believe that the sole defining element of a Links Course is the ability to play shots along the ground, then that’s true. But there’s many things beyond that make up a links course. And in truth, I didn’t see many people at all playing shots along the ground at St. Andrews, either.

“Doesn’t play like a links course at all” apparently equals “can’t run balls through the openings in front of the greens.”

Fine. But I’ve been in pot bunkers on the Straits course. And I’ve had to flight balls lower into 20 MPH winds there. I can assure you that both of those elements reminded me very much of our trip to Scotland. Playing out of the fescue (which I did, on like 17 holes) also reminded me heavily of Scotland.

Clearly there are some links elements to this course.

• tprokopenko

@TPSC said...

Yes, I’m well aware of the course. And, yes, it LOOKS like a links course. But having the look of a links course, and actually playing links golf, are two completely separate things. Many of the golfers have also said that there are virtually no similarities to how you actually play Whistling Straits and how you play on a real links course.

• johnnyjohnny848

@tprokopenko said...

Whistling Straits plays nothing like a links course, so I’m hoping some people do pick their golfers thinking that it does. It kind of looks like one, layout wise, but doesn’t play like one at all.

Lol how does it play nothing like a links course? Are you sure your looking at the same course? Pete Dye specially built this course to emulate a links course lol. Its seaside lake Michigan which means it will be windy, wide open fairways, lots of bunkers, fescue rough, players may not play on the ground because its softer but who said thats the defining factor of a links course? And actually I dont believe it will play that soft its summer.

• tprokopenko

@johnnyjohnny848 said...

Lol how does it play nothing like a links course? Are you sure your looking at the same course? Pete Dye specially built this course to emulate a links course lol. Its seaside lake Michigan which means it will be windy, wide open fairways, lots of bunkers, fescue rough, players may not play on the ground because its softer but who said thats the defining factor of a links course? And actually I dont believe it will play that soft its summer.

That’s fine, to each their own. I’ll stick to the opinion of the golfers, and how I’ve seen the course play in the past.

• johnnyjohnny848

@tprokopenko said...

That’s fine, to each their own. I’ll stick to the opinion of the golfers, and how I’ve seen the course play in the past.

So your saying Pete Dye doesn’t know what hes buliding lol? Being seaside and windy is pretty much the main aspect of a links course man, but like you said to each their own.

• tprokopenko

@johnnyjohnny848 said...

So your saying Pete Dye doesn’t know what hes buliding lol? Being seaside and windy is pretty much the main aspect of a links course man, but like you said to each their own.

I agree it’s what they were going for visually, but I’m just talking about how the golfers actually approach the course and how they play it. It is a completely different skill set, so Europeans that thrive on links courses aren’t necessarily going to do well here.

There’s a good article about it at http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/news/pga-championship-course-whistling-straits-presents-unique-challenge

• johnnyjohnny848

@tprokopenko said...

I agree it’s what they were going for visually, but I’m just talking about how the golfers actually approach the course and how they play it. It is a completely different skill set, so Europeans that thrive on links courses aren’t necessarily going to do well here.

There’s a good article about it at http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/news/pga-championship-course-whistling-straits-presents-unique-challenge

Still tho the only defining factor that article says that does not make Whistling Straits a true links course is that its not primarily sand based and has a lot more clay. But the fact remains it will still be really windy and there are a lot of bunkers, and very little vegetation. Which means bombers will still thrive here as they do on pure links courses or players that can flight their ball lower hence Zach Johnson types.

• tprokopenko

@johnnyjohnny848 said...

Still tho the only defining factor that article says that does not make Whistling straits a true links course is that its not primarily sand based and has a lot more clay. But the fact remains it will still be really windy and there are a lot of bunkers, and very little vegetation. Which means bombers will still thrive here as they do on pure links courses or players that can flight their ball lower hence Zach Johnson types.

Definitely going to cater to bombers, just by the length of the course. Although, accurate players with high ball flights should be good targets as well, and could go under-owned.

• DK_Ninjaaaaa

happy monday brolinari’s! took a peek at the score card and the course overview. this is a mean looking course. gotta love a good driver, but it looks like missing fairways could ruin players too. i think you need to give equal consideration to accuracy off the tee as you do distance. i know the scrambling stat will be important but hopefully you want guys that won’t be scrambling in the first place. hole #5 should be a fun one to watch this week, absolutely sick design. i see alot of conflicting information in this forum which is the norm. the straights definitely has a link-ish look about it but i wouldnt say that favors any one type of golfer this week. im starting to settle in on these stats for the week: SG:T2G, driving accuracy, GIR / Prox to pin, and most likely SG:putting.

• milanman21

Like last week, I’ll go with Total Driving as a stat. SG:T2G and SG:Putting will be useful. Also going to be looking at those birdie or better % from 150-175 as well as Par 5 performance (seeing it’s now par 72). Course history isn’t as big a factor as it’s hosted this event twice (2005 Singh/ 2010 Kaymer). Current form will play a part though.

• ninerzfan8

@tprokopenko said...

Jim Furyk saying that Whistling Straits is not a course he’s comfortable on. Maybe he’s pulling a Zach Johnson and will go out and win now.

Furyk hopefully people will look at the 2010 tourney, he was 3 off the lead with 9 left and came home in 41 to fade but he was in the midst of a hot streak at that point as evidenced by him winning the FedEx cup.

In 2004. He went 75,78 and missed the cut by a mile.

Agree with whoever brought up streb as great value. He could be 40% owned with how he’s played this year especially in majors. Don’t know if he is still a must play based on value vs salary.

I’m a glutton for punishment but I will be on dj heavy I think this week off another shit weekend and with Rory and Spieth suppressing his ownership. He’s gotta get it done eventually his game is just too good. I think at some point it will all come together and he will be so far ahead after Friday that he won’t be able to choke it away.

• jrob11811

I like DJ fine but he is just too expensive. I get the ownership angle but for someone at that price you are expecting a win and I just don’t think he has it in him. He’s a talented guy but he isn’t near the golfer that Rory and Spieth are…or even Bubba for that matter.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Use our links to sign up and deposit on sites listed in this thread to get these bonuses:

• FanDuel

Get 1-month of RotoGrinders Premium for FREE (a ~$40value) by signing up through one of our links!

Learn More
  • DraftKings

Sign up for DraftKings using a RotoGrinders link & receive our DraftKings Premium content FREE for 1 month. That’s a ~$40 value! No DraftKings promo code necessary!

Learn More
  • FantasyDraft

FantasyDraft strives to put players first, with a mission to “provide a fun and fair experience for all.” To this end, the site has a well-built, easy-to-use interface and a the first of its kind in offering “Rake-Free” fantasy contests.

Learn More

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week. Our goal is to help all of our members make more money playing daily fantasy sports!

Bet with your head, not over it!
Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-Gambler