NHL FORUM

Comments

• SteveM

All are one entry each from different players who I don’t recognize. Anybody know what’s going on? Seems shady.

• Messiah717

The people selling lineups have found a way to make money without having to play. They don’t care if there’s a 35 way tie with their lineup if they aren’t in the game.

• blake024

@sizzlebeans said...

Stuff like this just shows the little fish like me who wastes hours throughout the week researching just to maintain an even bankroll is wasting my time and money. Dfs is for max entry and conglomerates. Not sure I want to play anymore. I need to switch to studying the stock market instead. Except you don’t get to watch stocks go head to head for 60 minutes every night.

I know, I know “just build better lineups bro”! I’m trying, and it’s not working and it’s not worth continuing. DFS is a red water game. No sense in sticking around. I can’t afford to max enter every tournament, which is how to win in the NHL. You’re going to have a way better shot hitting a profit with 150 vs 5-10 tries.

I would venture to guess that the people who used these apparently “bought” lineups are ‘fish’ like you, especially considering most of them single entered the tournament. If anything, ironically, this proves that it is possible for a ‘fish’ to win a mass GPP like this one without multi entering. And of course, this can only be done by picking a wholly unique, non-stacked multi-team lineup [as all the ‘sharks’ will have all the possible line combos stacked and entered multiple times].

If you are struggling in DFS hockey but still love it and want to play, keep researching and plugging away. If you want to do better, do what I did and still do today, think of yourself not as a helpless fish but as a baby shark. Drafting lineups with a negative mentality will lead to negative results.

• wolfjb1

@elementasrat said...

It actually is. This was touched on in the thread about how DFS needs more skill.

It’s the opposite. We need casuals to win in the short term so they feel they have a chance.

Imagine if DK lets the “chumps” put out crappy lineups consistently. Soon, the ecosystem will dry up and it’ll be mid level vs skilled players.

Ok, keep thinking that. The sites want to make money. Period. DK and FD are for-profit companies. Letting a few people flush their money down the toilet every night isn’t gonna kill their business model.

They’ve already banned lineups selling, I believe, but they don’t police it, because they don’t have to.

There are millions of casuals who will come and go.

There is a smaller subset of people like those of us on RG who care about the ecosystem and wish the sites would be “ethical” by limiting the sharks, cleaning up this crap, fixing semi-loophole, etc.

But, even without knowing the actual data, you can do the math yourself and figure out why the sites allow this. If, say, 400,000 (or 100,000, or whatever the number is) unique users play on any given day and 500 or 3000 or however-many are buying lineups, that’s money in DK’s and FD’s pocket.

Those people will come and go. They’re fungible. This is how you make money. This is how you run a business. You make calculations about who to cultivate, who to advertise to, who can come and go. It’s the same way that AT&T or Wal-Mart or Delta will treat you like crap sometimes because they can replace you with someone else.

• dude_abides7

@wolfjb1 said...

Ok, keep thinking that. The sites want to make money. Period. DK and FD are for-profit companies. Letting a few people flush their money down the toilet every night isn’t gonna kill their business model.

They’ve already banned lineups selling, I believe, but they don’t police it, because they don’t have to.

I would argue that allowing people to flush their money down the toilet IS their business model and always has been. The difference is now it is no longer fun because the optic that you COULD BE PROFITABLE is gone. Most grinders that are only making (or losing) marginal dollars here and there are playing DFS for FUN.

The underlying theme in many of these threads that I don’t think is getting picked up is that many everyday DFS users are no longer HAVING FUN and it’s NOT primarily because they are winning and losing. The product has suffered because the rake is out of control and the contest structures are shit and cater to mass volume. This is a death rattle for the industry and the sites if they don’t remedy it.

For what it is worth, the sites have not banned lineup selling. In theory, RG provides a paywall optimizer that allows full LU export. This is lineup selling, albeit not in the traditional sense. I think it is a useful tool though and shouldn’t be banned. I just wish more sites (including RG) would mandate that you at least plug in 2 or 3 players (variables) before it spits out the rest. This would at least help with dupe lineup trains.

• sizzlebeans

@blake024 said...

If you are struggling in DFS hockey but still love it and want to play, keep researching and plugging away. If you want to do better, do what I did and still do today, think of yourself not as a helpless fish but as a baby shark. Drafting lineups with a negative mentality will lead to negative results.

Thanks for this post man. I was just frustrated with the whole thing and misdirected some of that frustration.

I do consider my picks to be solid, and I have a good amount of confidence in them when I submit. I’m on the right plays the majority of nights, I just haven’t put the two winning lines together yet in the little over 1+ calendar year I’ve been playing NHL. I also don’t really consider myself a “fish”, just a small entry per night player. So in that aspect, i feel I’m at a bit of a disadvantage because I can’t/won’t afford to play every LU i would like, unless I max out on a quarter arcade, but I’m not chasing a $50 grand prize, I’m aiming higher.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Sites mentioned in this thread

Use our links to sign up and deposit on sites listed in this thread to get these bonuses:

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week. Our goal is to help all of our members make more money playing daily fantasy sports!

Disclosures: All RotoGrinders content contributors are active DFS players. Contributor screen names can be found on their respective RotoGrinders profile pages. Contributors reserve the right to use players or strategies not discussed in their content on RotoGrinders.