INDUSTRY FORUM

Comments

• chrislamb92

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #60

RG Tiered Ranking

On Sunday 4/19 draftkings ran a 3 game rocket league slate.

The 3 matches were:

Team Renewed vs Pera – Best of 5
    True Neutral vs eRa Eternity – Best of 5
    Ellevens Esports vs Avidity Esports – Best of 7

Draftkings clearly did not realize that the Ellevens vs Avidity match was in fact a best of 7 and not a best of 5 like the other 2, as they included them within the same slate with no mention in the rules as to how the scoring would work for matches of different maximum length aside from a statement in the GLA section that read that GLA was to:

“…ensure that players and teams winning their matches early are not penalized and all players across different matches in a Game Set are valued at equal personal performances.”

Absent anything else in the rules, that seems pretty clear to me that all 3 series should’ve been normalized to 7 games (or down to 5 if they wanted to take points away instead of add them). Instead Draftkings normalized the first 2 series to 5 games and the EE vs AVD series to 7 game.

Of course, every single winning lineup was a stack from that EE vs AVD game as all the players from that game had 40% more games, and thus way more points. This is utterly unacceptable by DK and undoubtedly changed tens of thousands of dollars worth of outcomes.

When I emailed their support, they basically beat around the bush in saying that they made a mistake by putting different series lengths on the same slate, but that they were standing by their scoring, despite the what the GLA section of the rules say and did not point to any specific rule that supported their decision.

They then offered to refund me my entry fee. However, I am 90% sure I would have cashed had the scoring followed their own stated rules and normalized all 3 series. Plus, I had to inquire before they offered to refund me the entry. They clearly knew there was an issue as they didn’t finalize the slate until Monday (4/20) evening, over 24 hours after games had finished, yet they decided not to be proactive about their response. I would recommend anybody who lost money in the Sunday rocket league slate contact DK support immediately.

I love that DK has branched out into esports, but the way they scored the slate and then handled the aftermath of this situation is frankly unacceptable.

• whoisjohngalt420

I def feel for you and sorry to hear this happened. It’s a DFS bad beat for sure. In MMA there are frequently slates with 5 round fights as Main Events, while other fights are 3 rounds. Sometimes the Main Event will go 1 round while some of the others will go more. In this RL case an outcome of the best of seven going 4-0 with low scores and the others going 3-2 with high scores also was a possibility. In MMA it’s public knowledge that last fight will have more rounds. Seems in this case it was also public knowledge.

The GLA quote you posted was clipped and was not all it says on the site. It’s not meant to normalize against other games on the slate, but within each single game on slate. Maybe i’m just an idiot(have been told many times in past I am), but i personally read the GLA statement in the rules as pretty clear and seems to me DK followed it to a T.

Curiously, had the slate played out so that the EE/AVD stack had not done well and you won .. would you still have had the same complaint and would you have offered to return your winnings once u noticed the discrepancies in match length’s in hindsight?

• chrislamb92

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #60

RG Tiered Ranking

@whoisjohngalt420 said...

I def feel for you and sorry to hear this happened. It’s a DFS bad beat for sure. In MMA there are frequently slates with 5 round fights as Main Events, while other fights are 3 rounds. Sometimes the Main Event will go 1 round while some of the others will go more. In this RL case an outcome of the best of seven going 4-0 with low scores and the others going 3-2 with high scores also was a possibility. In MMA it’s public knowledge that last fight will have more rounds. Seems in this case it was also public knowledge.

The GLA quote you posted was clipped and was not all it says on the site. It’s not meant to normalize against other games on the slate, but within each single game on slate. Maybe i’m just an idiot(have been told many times in past I am), but i personally read the GLA statement in the rules as pretty clear and seems to me DK followed it to a T.

Curiously, had the slate played out so that the EE/AVD stack had not done well and you won .. would you still have had the same complaint and would you have offered to return your winnings once u noticed the discrepancies in match length’s in hindsight?

I don’t play MMA so I won’t comment there but the scenario you gave for RL is flawed. If the best of 7 went 4-0 it would have been GLA’d up to a 7 game series, while the 3-2 series wouldn’t have gotten any GLA. The 4-0 series in all likelihood still would have vastly outscored the two 3-2 series because of this GLA.

The full version of the quote is:

“Game length adjustment is used to ensure that players and teams winning their matches early are not penalized and all players across different matches in a Game Set are valued at equal personal performances. See scoring notes for example.”

I am not sure how you can read “all players across different matches in a game set are valued at equal personal performances” and interpret it any way other than that all series in a game set should be normalized to the same amount of games. Having some players get scored for 5 games worth of performance and others for 7 is literally the opposite of making sure that all players are “valued at equal personal performances”

Again, as I explained earlier it was next to impossible for the EE/AVD stack to not do well because no matter what their game would have been GLA’d up to 7 games, but I would have the exact same complaint if I won. DK ran a fundamentally unfair contest and did not address the fact that the games would be scored differently anywhere in their rules, in fact the only mention of games lengths states that GLA will be used to make everything equal.

• jayk123

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #11

RG Tiered Ranking

• 2020 $1M Prize Winner

yeah, players that had 6 games to accrue fantasy points gaining points in game length adjustment scaling when compared to best of 5s just can’t be right?

• whoisjohngalt420

You guys are right it is not ideal how it was set up. Though it was ultimately scored exactly as it states in the GLA rules. Your points that the normalization should be extended out so that each indiv game/match on a slate is equal is obviously a good idea.

But, I guess what it comes down to for OP(who conveniently commented on my post but ignored my last question. Also ignored, conveniently, my comment about the hypothetical 4-0 being low scoring.. instead just calling my comment flawed and took it out of context to fit his narrative.), who is clearly a skilled and experienced DFS player..

Why not just stack the BO7 match like the winner’s did?

• chrislamb92

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #60

RG Tiered Ranking

@whoisjohngalt420 said...

You guys are right it is not ideal how it was set up. Though it was ultimately scored exactly as it states in the GLA rules. Your points that the normalization should be extended out so that each indiv game/match on a slate is equal is obviously a good idea.

But, I guess what it comes down to for OP(who conveniently commented on my post but ignored my last question. Also ignored, conveniently, my comment about the hypothetical 4-0 being low scoring.. instead just calling my comment flawed and took it out of context to fit his narrative.), who is clearly a skilled and experienced DFS player..

Why not just stack the BO7 match like the winner’s did?

??? I didn’t ignore either comment you said I ignored. I said I would feel exactly the same way had I won (your last question), so yes I would want DK to score the contest fairly and I didn’t ignore your comment about the 4-0. In the case of the 4-0 GLA would be added to make it like they played all 7 games therefore making it next to impossible for a 5 game series to be higher scoring.

I also don’t understand how you can say it was scored exactly like it says in the GLA rules when I have now twice quoted the section of the GLA rules that says “all players across different matches in a game set are valued at equal personal performances”. Nothing else in the rules references different length series leading me to believe that all series would be normalized to be the same length…which is why I didn’t just stack the avd vs ee game. Obviously I would have if the rules had been clear about how the scoring was going to work.

• whoisjohngalt420

The rules state that “all players across different matches in a game set are valued at equal personal performances” .. there is nothing that states different matches/games on a slate will be normalized. So, that should be your answer.

The question was whether you’d have felt same way and Offered to Return the $ if you won? And yes you did dodge it.

And yes you ignored the hypothetical by just determining its IMPOSSIBLE for the BO5 to score higher. Seriously? You’ve been playing DFS for what looks like 7-8 years and you are going to sit there and tell us something happening in a sports event is IMPOSSIBLE? Hmmm. Makes a ton of sense. So, you are saying that it’s impossible that the 4-0 series could have been all 1-0 and relatively uneventful while the BO5 was all 6-5 overtime games? Improbable. Yes. Impossible? No.

You know what wins gpp’s as well as i do. Improbable shit happens. Sorry you lost and you are 100% right DK could do a better job being consistent and more clear. Different game lengths/unplayed games & rounds are handled inconsistently across the board.

Proper research should have clearly revealed that one of the Matches/Games on the slate was a BO7. Nothing in the rules addresses this. So, you made an assumption. Were wrong. And now blaming DK.

You’re probably right and I am the confused one and one of the majority of DFS players u so kindly referred to in your other post as not having “ brains that function over a 5th grade level who could understand the scoring.” My chance’s of competing in a discussion with a mind as elite as yours are slim.

muh bad

• DraftKings_CM

• DraftKings Representative

Since this situation was beyond the control of our players, anyone who wrote into support@draftkings.com regarding the 4/19 Rocket League slate was offered a site credit. The GLA bonus is meant to be used as an adjustment to ensure that players who don’t play as many rounds are not penalized for a quick win.

We understand that Sunday was not the experience our players were hoping for. We’re committed to furthering our Rocket League DFS product by making changes or adjustments, wherever necessary, in order to provide you all with the best experience possible.

For the latest information on events and when sports are coming back with an updated 2020 sports calendar due to COVID-19 changes, check out our ‘Sport & League Status’ page here: https://www.draftkings.com/about/covid-19/updated-2020-sports-calendar/

Please join our #DKRally to raise money for the United Way’s Covid-19 Relief effort. Learn more at http://draftKings.com/dkrally

- DraftKings Community Team

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.