PGA FORUM

Comments

• cowbell204

Live. Extremely weak field on the upper end this week due to the WGC Match Play.

• BIF

I haven’t look at salaries yet but I did look at the field and there are some interesting names on there. I’m not making any bold predictions that I’m going to hit 20+% 6/6 lineups like last week or even do well this week, but I do feel that someone knowledgeable about golfers and tours (other than the PGA tour) has a distinct advantage this week.

For example, I showed the field last night to a buddy who is a casual DFS golf player and he had never even heard of 42/128 names listed and was not positive he heard of 10 others. I’m a serious golfer, a golf fanatic and have a very good memory, but can honestly say there was 5 that I had never heard of – one of them turned out to be a 17yr old kid from Minnesota and a couple were local pros from the golf hotbed Puerto Rico.

This week will be interesting, funny and frustrating all in one – hopefully profitable too.

• JimKronlund

Puerto Rico Open Highest 18 salaries/players.
    Are you kidding me? These are top 18???
    Good Luck creating lineups from this dogs breakfast of players that has burned everyone in last 3 weeks.
    PLAYER AVG FPPG SALARY
    Graham DeLaet 70.6 60.2 $11,000
    Scott Brown 70.8 60.0 $10,900
    William McGirt 69.6 74.3 $10,500
    F. Jacobson 70.4 64.3 $10,400
    Ian Poulter 72 46.8 $10,300
    P. Rodgers 70.3 60.7 $10,200
    George McNeill 72.3 37.1 $10,100
    George Coetzee 74.8 38.0 $10,000
    Boo Weekley 71.1 49.5 $9,900
    Chesson Hadley 71.8 48.6 $9,800
    Retief Goosen 71.1 52.6 $9,700
    Luke Donald 70.5 58.6 $9,600
    Alex Cejka 69.5 66.5 $9,500
    Dean Burmester 0 0.0 $9,400
    Jerry Kelly 70.5 61.9 $9,300
    Tony Finau 70.5 56.5 $9,200
    Jonathan Byrd 70.2 57.6 $9,000
    Seung-yul Noh 70.5 58.0 $8,900

• thetitanlb

I personally am looking forward to this week. I think its one where the research pays off more than normal since most people have not even heard of half of this field. Shall be interesting.

• smallANDflaccid

@thetitanlb said...

research pays off more than normal

I’m having trouble finding out what brand ball some of these guys play.

• cowbell204

@smallANDflaccid said...

I’m having trouble finding out what brand ball some of these guys play.

Hopefully golf

• thetitanlb

Just looking at the golfers i already have a core of like 10 i want basically. Time to jump back on that Finau and Pat Rodgers bandwagon. You know max is gonna have 100% Pat Rodgers this week lol

• BIF

@thetitanlb said...

You know max is gonna have 100% Pat Rodgers this week lol

I’m betting he is all in on the South African striker Dean Burmester @ 9400

• BIF

@thetitanlb said...

I personally am looking forward to this week. I think its one where the research pays off more than normal since most people have not even heard of half of this field. Shall be interesting.

That’s what I was getting at with my first post – just hoping the research/analysis pays off and we don’t end up with a Ted Purdy vs. John Daly playoff

• mschu1213

So research will onlty pay off if the guys yall pick work out? Got it.

• thetitanlb

@BIF said...

That’s what I was getting at with my first post – just hoping the research/analysis pays off and we don’t end up with a Ted Purdy vs. John Daly playoff

If that happens then no one is gonna win money lol. Geez how much booze do you think Daly is gonna consume while in Puerto Rico?

• smallANDflaccid

Haven’t looked recently, but back in the day he played better drunk.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State-dependent_memory

• thetitanlb

@BIF said...

I’m betting he is all in on the South African striker Dean Burmester @ 9400

I cant disagree with this. Chances are ill have tons as well.

• BIF

@thetitanlb said...

I cant disagree with this. Chances are ill have tons as well.

If he liked Pieters last weekend, chances are good he has some Burmester this week…..but Pieters finished DFL (Dead Fukin’ Last) of the guys who made the cut

• JimKronlund

Bif are you able breakdown the course as to how certain skills sets will have advantages.
    Also what other courses are similar to this one.
    After seeing winning scores and cut lines for last 5 years. It looks like weather or played different course were factors.
    Course History (Winning Score, Cut line): 2015 ( -7, +2), 2014 ( -21, -1), 2013 ( -20, -3), 2012 ( -16, +1), 2011 ( -16, -1), 2010 ( -19, -2)
    That is such a large variance in 2015 to other years..
    Edit: Last year had a 5 man playoff. Largest I have heard of.

• BIF

I don’t have as in depth knowledge on this event (compared to others as it has been an opposite field event) but it is a little unique in that the Coco Beach GC (formerly named Trump Puerto Rico GC) is actually a hybrid comprised of holes from the 4 unique nines (36 holes) on the property.

The course is fairly long and has played reasonably tough with respect to the score required to make the cut (between -1 and +2). I can’t speak to weather explaining variance in winning score (being seaside, it can get windy), but the event does attract a very different field every year as very few golfers have consistently played it year after year so the strength of the field may impact results.

I’ve never been to Puerto Rico but given that the course has holes on the coast, I’m assuming that it is at/near sea level (yet one of the nines is called Mountain) so the almost 7600yd course will likely play fully to that length. Par 36-36-72 w/ the normal 10 par 4’s and 4 each of par 3’s and 5’s with an equal split on both nines.

There is a fair bit of water on the course ranging from ponds and lakes to ocean side holes. The better scoring will/should happen on the front nine as it has the 2 shorter par 5’s (535-550yds) versus 600yds or more on back nine – the front also has the shortest par 4 on the course #3 that actually gave up a few eagles last year in final round (not sure it they moved up tee to make it driveable or pin was in a friendly position).

As far as important stats – driving accuracy w/ at least average distance would be a nice combination. Lots of tee shot have water on one side and bunkers/water on the other side so hitting fairway is key. Wind is forecast of 15-17mph all 4 days so a wind player or lower ball striker may have a small advantage if the course is not too firm (have not heard yet).

Courses that have some similarity – it plays like a bit like Doral and PGA National but less consistently (bogey streak) penal and without the drama of signature holes. Most guys in this tournament probably have not played in the Cadillac much nor the Honda too often – another good comparative for course type is the El Camaleon course at Mayakoba that the PGA Tour played the OHL Classic event at the past few years. El Camaleon was shorter and easier to score on and a par 71 but had some similar needs including accuracy.

Most of the past winners here have not been long hitters and known more for their accuracy – Cejka is a short hitter won last year (Curran also short lost in playoff), Hadley 2014 is accurate, McNeill 2012 is both short and straight (except this year his accuracy has slipped). Some really good ball strikers and GIR guys have been runner-ups in past years including Jerry Kelly, BVP, Day (2009), Spieth (2013).

That’s all for now…

• JimKronlund

Thanks Bif for that. I know a media person going and asked for her input on that, and also on the names I don’t recognize.

On another note;
    The Puerto Rico Grinders Open is up in the lobby.
    PGA $5 50-PLAYER (TOP 5 WIN) BY JIMKRONLUND
    So Good Luck

• JimKronlund

@thetitanlb said...

Just looking at the golfers i already have a core of like 10 i want basically. Time to jump back on that Finau and Pat Rodgers bandwagon. You know max is gonna have 100% Pat Rodgers this week lol

To me picking some of the players that recently cost me a ton of $. Is like touching a burn with something hot. An instant avoidance reaction, even though I know I have to pick some.

• smallANDflaccid

@JimKronlund said...

Thanks Bif for that. I know a media person going and asked for her input on that, and also on the names I don’t recognize.

On another note;
    The Puerto Rico Grinders Open is up in the lobby.
    PGA $5 50-PLAYER (TOP 5 WIN) BY JIMKRONLUND
    So Good Luck

This time I am in!
    No lineup yet, but those are overrated vs just confidence.

• smallANDflaccid

My process has a section of “stats” and then 4 (soon to be 5) algos.
    I don’t have enough data yet for all of the algos (still collecting), but so far 2 agree on one guy – that usually bodes well for top 10-20 (for that guy).

I don’t regularly follow golf, and I am bad with names, so the names these spit out are always a surprise to me.

Although no matter what I am definitely going to do a lineup of Alphabarnrat and Romaine Lasagna, because their names are fantastic.

• walkoff9

@smallANDflaccid said...

I don’t have enough data yet for all of the algos (still collecting), but so far 2 agree on one guy – that usually bodes well for top 10-20 (for that guy).

I don’t regularly follow golf, and I am bad with names, so the names these spit out are always a surprise to me.

Although no matter what I am definitely going to do a lineup of Alphabarnrat and Romaine Lasagna, because their names are fantastic.

Your talking masters?

You got my hopes up that APHIBARNRAT was in the PRO field because i didnt see him at the top of the dk salaries.

• amanuel777

@smallANDflaccid said...

I don’t think happy barn rat is playing, is he?

• smallANDflaccid

Sorry guys! I had been looking at two diff lineups today – must have mixed it up in my head (like I said, I am terrible at names).

• BIF

@smallANDflaccid said...

I just PM’d you (I think?)

• regns08

is delaet in puerto rico? guy seems like a solid wd risk

• BIF

@regns08 said...

is delaet in puerto rico? guy seems like a solid wd risk

Why do you say that?

EDIT – he seemed in good spirits on Twitter chirping his caddie Jules about hockey standings an also saying that he packed the crib board for PR – if you know him, this is normal banter as him Jules are competitive when they play crib and also when they talk NHL.

I’m not sure where I’m at with playing DeLaet yet this week, but I certainly don’t see a WD in his future (I hope I’m correct on that).

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Use our links to sign up and deposit on sites listed in this thread to get these bonuses:

• FanDuel

Get 1-month of RotoGrinders Premium for FREE (a ~$40value) by signing up through one of our links!

Learn More
  • DraftKings

Sign up for DraftKings using a RotoGrinders link & receive our DraftKings Premium content FREE for 1 month. That’s a ~$40 value! No DraftKings promo code necessary!

Learn More
  • FantasyDraft

FantasyDraft strives to put players first, with a mission to “provide a fun and fair experience for all.” To this end, the site has a well-built, easy-to-use interface and a the first of its kind in offering “Rake-Free” fantasy contests.

Learn More

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week. Our goal is to help all of our members make more money playing daily fantasy sports!

Bet with your head, not over it!
Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-Gambler