MAIN FORUM

Comments

• thedude404

• 2015 FanDuel NBA Playboy Mansion Finalist

Last night I played in the $5 Five-Tool game on Draftkings and noticed the winning lineup in that game used Cashner who only scored 5.2 DK points. Knowing that he was just activated off the DL, his innings would be limited, and that TEX was a huge underdog, why would anyone use him when you could have gotten Dickey (who scored 20.1 DK points) for $400 more? I added up the salary of the winning lineup and it came to $100 short of using all the salary and the difference between Dickey ($7100) and Cashner ($6700) was $400 in salary.

Does one ever love a batting stack so much (in this case the winning lineup used a 4 player LAD stack and a 4 player MIA stack) that one uses a pitcher you know has limited potentional to get your stack into the lineup? Evidently the winner felt that the loss from Cashner would be made up and then some by his batting stacks. It seems to me that one could easily sacrifice one of those batters to move up $400 to get the better P choice. The known risk here was Cashner, which I would have thought would have been avoided at all costs. Evidently 3% of the Cashner users thought differently. Any thoughts on this?

• Felder15

• 2017 DraftKings FBWC Finalist

• x2

2018 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

On a night with limited pitching options, absolutely. Many people didn’t like Dickey last night, as shown by the ownership of the Padres (roughly 20%).

• thedude404

Also I should add that the other pitcher used in the winning lineup was the one opposing Cashner, Paxton. Which brings up another question…how often should that strategy be employed using both starting pitchers from the same game? I could see that when you have 2 studs going against each other in the same game or even using a stud and a mid level pitcher with high SO potential or upset potential but in a game like this where TEX was a huge underdog, I’m not sure about that strategy as even before the game starts, you are going to be down 4 points from not being able to get the win. Could the use of Cashner simply have been a low ownership play? This just adds to my belief that using Cashner in this type of situation is not a winning play long term.

• coachspitz

Could just be that the guy thought cashner would pitch a good game

• thedude404

@coachspitz said...

Could just be that the guy thought cashner would pitch a good game

This just wasn’t some random user that won this contest who hoped to get lucky with Cashner. The winner of the contest was the #4 ranked (according to Rotogrinders) DFS player. I’m quite sure he was aware of the situation regarding Cashner getting a pitch limit, Cashner just coming off DL, Cashner being a huge underdog, and selecting Cashner along with the opposing teams pitcher in the same lineup.

So I really dont think it was a situation where the #4 ranked player in DFS thought Cashner was in a great spot. I already ruled out that possibility before posting my inquiry.

• Njsum1

I think your overthinking this. It was a good spot for Paxton, guy probably plugged in Paxton, made his two stacks that he liked, saw he had enough salary left for Cashner, and figured what the heck, it’s a pitcher park, in a game with a low total, and if for whatever reason Cashner has a good game, I’ll get him at low ownership. In my experience, you can’t like every play you put in every lineup, every slate. Sometimes when it comes down to the last guy in, you have to take a look at who fits, and then pick from your options.

• jokerswild22

Way too easy to reverse engineer pitcher after the fact.

Preflop, R.A Dickey has a greater chance of finishing with negative points.

• jimmyquinella

• Blogger of the Month

I cannot believe no one said this yet….

He played him in order to win all the “Cash“ner

• jimmyrad

In SD Cashner had proven again and again that he’s just terrible, fucking horrible! So of course move him to the DH league and throw him on the road against a L heavy lineup for great success. Nice play. I can’t imagine that even the best lineup possible would remain +EV once you toss him on there (in that spot).

Then again there’s so much day to day randomness in baseball and the first couple weeks are always especially wonky, so WTF do I know.

• Zieg30

• 2018 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

@thedude404 said...

Does one ever love a batting stack so much (in this case the winning lineup used a 4 player LAD stack and a 4 player MIA stack) that one uses a pitcher you know has limited potentional to get your stack into the lineup?

Definitely. Depending on the pitchers available in an evening, you may decide that prioritizing batters make sense (for example, when all pitchers available are relatively low-ceiling) and pick a low owned second pitcher.

You’re also talking about someone who likely entered 150 entries. Those that do will pick a lot of pitchers/batters others with fewer entries may not consider.

• kieff5280

• Blogger of the Month

Pitcher park, cold weather, previous night Perez (who sucks more than Cashner) looked good. I would say weather and potentially recency bias and game-theory (lots of people liked Seattle bats) are reasons to potentially rosters Cashner, especially if they had multiple lineups.

• Ryazan

• x3

2015 FanDuel WFFC Finalist

• x2

2015 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

when trying to get the double stack that u want on offense, there is no analysis done for that 2nd pitcher….just take whatever, its mlb, u cant predict performance anyway

• DefinitelyMiami

If you buy enough lottery tickets….Umm I mean multi enter enough since this is certainly not gambling you will run out of other options to cover your bases. Someone will be along shortly to justify rostering a closer

• Shipmymoney

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #14

RG Tiered Ranking

• x3

2016 DraftKings FBWC Finalist

• 2016 FanDuel MLB Playboy Mansion Finalist

Out of my 10 lineups I went 10 Paxton and then split SP2 evenly between Cashner, Corbin and Dickey with one DeGrom in whatever my cheap stack was. Wasn’t a terrible spot for him and was obvious he would be barely owned.

• stellagirl

It’s probably just a punt play gone horribly right.

• Roma315

Two of my larger cashes $7500 and $8400 came with two stacked teams and two pitchers who were huge underdogs and only scored 13 points on FD. Both were pulled in tie games so they received a ND. Both teams scored the next inning. If they both would of hit the W. I would have been sitting with $15k+ in both.

So yes if I feel great about the bats I will sacrifice pitching to keep them all in. You just need to hope the chalk pitchers don’t do great.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).