MLB FORUM

Comments

• dirtydistance

Is this possible? I usually do one lineup a day and due to the amount of research I do(reading articles/listening to videos on here), checking out a couple other sites, listening to the rotogrinders radio show along with others some days. I usually have a gut instinct lineup, but then everyone’s opinions will sway me so I’m changing 1/2 the lineup some days taking out players I was originally on. I’ve done it a lot recently and it’s costing me! Yesterday, I took Montero, Castro and Judge out of my lineup and switched a few things around so I could pay up for Rizzo and Bryant and swapping my 2b to Baez. Today, I wanted to get Padres/Red Sox exposure but then I kept hearing, it’s the Padres, so I tinkered some things around where I got totally off San Diego and had some land minds like Chris Davis, Todd Fraizer and Robinson Cano in my lineup passing up the Lind/Solarte/Pirella I was originally looking at. My hatred of the ss position didn’t help matters as I went all the way down to Blanco since I didn’t really like anyone. Am I overthinking my lineups? I really feel like I am. I’m competitive and play to win which I often take way too serious.

• sochoice

• 2017 DraftKings FBWC Finalist

• 2017 FanDuel WFFC Champion

While all the guys on there (at least the RG videos/shows) are smart, good guys and clearly strong players, they recommend so many players over the course of a show that it is easy for at least a few names to worm their way into your head and potentially take you off strong plays that you had already identified. I’ve started listening to the shows for entertainment only after already setting my lineups so as not to fall victim to this issue. Only time I change them is if weather is crazy (very rare) or a player doesn’t make the lineup or gets scratched just prior to lock.

• Jvanspro

I think you are overresearching. I used to do this as well and have to be much more profitable when I do my own research and build my own lineups. More often then not switching a player out based on hearing something on a show has hurt my lineups.

• ldmariodl28

• Blogger of the Month

There are so many good plays but baseball has so much variance day to day. Come up with your own research process and trust that process. Use the experts in spots where you are stuck but trust yourself first.

• walkoff9

Find articles/shows that you like and think are good and stick to those. If you just consume as much content as possible your going to be all over the place as so many different plays are going to be recommended by someone.

• dbullsfan

I also like to listen and read a wide variety of stuff while doing my research and usually just try to take away any consistenies from expert to expert whether it is a specific play or full game to roster construction. I still use my own gut instinct as my tiebreaker if there end up being a few plays I like

• joerapjr

.@dirtydistance this is definitely possible! At a certain point paralysis by analysis takes place, and you simply start stepping over your original thoughts with new ones.

As always, do research but ultimately trust your gut!

• AlexSonty

• Blogger of the Month

I can see how a novice player can get very confused. The RG method of going game-by-game is more effective, but—in practice—the context of the slate gets lost very often. No matter what your thoughts on Siege, he is very good at keeping the context of the slate within the dialogue, making callbacks to games already broken down and referencing games to come.

I understand that the position-by-position analysis is completely useless for GPPs, but discussing games in a vacuum is useless for a casual GPP player.

Create a routine where you get a first look at the slate for an hour before listening to anything or listen to the pod, watch a video, then you all of your research. Depending on the videos/pods alone for the bulk of research is never going to work. Currently, the pods/videos are crafted for people doing hours of research every slate. This mix of deeper looks or just rapping back-and-forth is far more preferable and nailing down picks, IMO. There is inherent noise in every slate, which can get overwhelming. Having a process turns down the volume and a routine is where that begins.

• kb32dawgs

Even the best of the best are wrong sometimes. At the end of the day, always trust your own gut feeling. I can even count the amount of time I’v won because I faded touts advice and stuck to my own research and thoughts. Touts sell you their opinion and not much more that that.

• Yombo

@AlexSontySBN said...

I can see how a novice player can get very confused. The RG method of going game-by-game is more effective, but—in practice—the context of the slate gets lost very often. No matter what your thoughts on Siege, he is very good at keeping the context of the slate within the dialogue, making callbacks to games already broken down and referencing games to come.

I understand that the position-by-position analysis is completely useless for GPPs, but discussing games in a vacuum is useless for a casual GPP player.

Create a routine where you get a first look at the slate for an hour before listening to anything or listen to the pod, watch a video, then you all of your research. Depending on the videos/pods alone for the bulk of research is never going to work. Currently, the pods/videos are crafted for people doing hours of research every slate. This mix of deeper looks or just rapping back-and-forth is far more preferable and nailing down picks, IMO. There is inherent noise in every slate, which can get overwhelming. Having a process turns down the volume and a routine is where that begins.

100% – more than game to game breakdowns is the overall feel for a slate. What are other people going to be doing? How will lineup construction work with Kershaw (for example) – who will people pay down for? What are the bats I need to get if I pay down? What popular stacks do I like/what popular plays do I not like?

There’s an overall feel for a slate that gets lost if you absorb shows early in the day to day process. Also, this happens to everyone – you’re between two guys and someone you listen to touts the other and then the one you didn’t play goes off. Probably a semi-frequent DFS occurrence for anyone listening to content from others

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Use our links to sign up and deposit on sites listed in this thread to get these bonuses:

• FanDuel

Get 1-month of RotoGrinders Premium for FREE (a ~$40value) by signing up through one of our links!

Learn More
  • DraftKings

Sign up for DraftKings using a RotoGrinders link & receive our DraftKings Premium content FREE for 1 month. That’s a ~$40 value! No DraftKings promo code necessary!

Learn More
  • FantasyDraft

FantasyDraft strives to put players first, with a mission to “provide a fun and fair experience for all.” To this end, the site has a well-built, easy-to-use interface and a the first of its kind in offering “Rake-Free” fantasy contests.

Learn More

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week. Our goal is to help all of our members make more money playing daily fantasy sports!

Bet with your head, not over it!
Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-Gambler