Where: Humble, Texas

Course: A Par 72 playing at 7457 yards.

Last Year’s Winner: Russell Henley at -20

Last Year’s Cut: Even

Coverage: PGATourlive | Golf Channel | NBC

Google Doc

RG Golf Forum League

Happy Meal Standings

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – Golf strategy talk for this week’s contest. Post referring to last week’s contest will be moved to the correct thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..

• 1971hof

I’m fading the players in this field that are already qualified for the Masters. Think this was the tournament where weather and a possible Monday finish saw a lot of the top players miss the cut on purpose a couple of years ago. Maybe it was a different tournament that I’m remembering. Looking like rain just on Thursday morning so far.

• deepfat

Looks windy Friday through the weekend. Rain AM Thursday.

• Gathon11

Probably the most “course history” course there is. Seems like the same guys show up on the leaderboard every year here.

• BIF

Read an article today that says this is probably the last time the Houston Open is going to be played the week before The Masters and is likely flipping spots with the Valero Texas Open for a multi year commitment.

This sucks as while I like the course used for the Valero, it doesn’t resemble Augusta at all and players will skip this week and go to Augusta early if they have already qualified. Here at the Golf Club of Houston, they can get the greens up to Augusta speeds and also keep the rough down to mimic Masters conditions – in San Antonio, they won’t be able to do this as the AT&T Oaks course is brutally penal in places and most of the fairways are tighter than Augusta plus there is less room in the rough before the trees start (home of Kevin Na’s famous score of 16 on one hole).

There is also concern that the Houston Open may be gone entirely as they lost their Shell sponsorship and the Tour loves sponsors and multi year commitments so unless someone steps up as title sponsor. we could lose a great event that is very well supported by the community in the 4th largest metro area in country.

• Kp24

Loading up on Lee Westwood in the hopes he wins so he can go to Augusta.

• Quadhole

@1971hof said...

I’m fading the players in this field that are already qualified for the Masters. Think this was the tournament where weather and a possible Monday finish saw a lot of the top players miss the cut on purpose a couple of years ago. Maybe it was a different tournament that I’m remembering. Looking like rain just on Thursday morning so far.

Before you do this, look at 2016 results and top 20… Loaded with Masters Field

• kps3205s

@Gathon11 said...

Probably the most “course history” course there is. Seems like the same guys show up on the leaderboard every year here.

So Russell Henley and Daniel Berger will be heavily owned this week.

Edit: Add CH3 to the list.

• MrBreeze

@BIF said...

Read an article today that says this is probably the last time the Houston Open is going to be played the week before The Masters and is likely flipping spots with the Valero Texas Open for a multi year commitment.

This sucks as while I like the course used for the Valero, it doesn’t resemble Augusta at all and players will skip this week and go to Augusta early if they have already qualified. Here at the Golf Club of Houston, they can get the greens up to Augusta speeds and also keep the rough down to mimic Masters conditions – in San Antonio, they won’t be able to do this as the AT&T Oaks course is brutally penal in places and most of the fairways are tighter than Augusta plus there is less room in the rough before the trees start (home of Kevin Na’s famous score of 16 on one hole).

There is also concern that the Houston Open may be gone entirely as they lost their Shell sponsorship and the Tour loves sponsors and multi year commitments so unless someone steps up as title sponsor. we could lose a great event that is very well supported by the community in the 4th largest metro area in country.

any courses on tour that are similar GCoH to use for comparisons?

• Dunzor

@1971hof said...

I don’t know if you need to go full fade of Masters players, but just a heads up on one particular guy who has some decent finishes here and is in great form and that is Phil Mickelson. He may look tempting this week but he has been very open the last couple of years that he really uses this tournament as Masters prep and will even intentionally put himself in certain less than ideal club spots to mimic some of the shots he may have to play at Augusta. So while he may end up with a decent finish here, his actually win equity is probably pretty low so he’ll be a fade for me here and likely be an anchor on my Master’s team next week

• dmyell12

@BIF said...

It’s too bad this will probably be the last year of this events as it’s one of my favorite courses with how it’s set up.

Putting the Valero before the masters feels like a huge mistake. As you said, top flight pros will simply skip it and head to Augusta a week early instead. Unlike you, I find the course to be incredibly monotonous with tree lined and penal par4/5 hole after hole.

I am sure the PGA tour is going to trial and error next seasons schedule because of the changes, but hopefully they’re able to find a better course otherwise the Valero is going to turn into one big Masters Open Qualifier.

• Cincinnatibuck

Happy Meal Cup Standings have been updated. After talk last week about the leaderboard not changing as it was supposedly “easier” to score points at the beginning of the season, Eric2323 closed the gap between 2nd and 1st down to 10 points, jclem2115 moved up to 5th, nicholas-marsh moved up to 6th, and cagejables moved up to 9th from the 60’s. There are still over 1,000 points to be earned.

• MrSnuffleupagus

@MrBreeze said...

I’d have to say the New Orleans course since it’s about three hours west of it

• mogan11

I’m going to be there Friday. Weather looks perfect to walk the course and watch the tournament.

• BIF

@MrBreeze said...

From a setup perspective Augusta and while different in appearance, I’d say The Memorial also has some of the fastest greens on tour.

I’m not sure what the people who run the correlations say are corollary courses for GC of Houston – I’m just going off setup.

• BIF

@mogan11 said...

I’m going to be there Friday. Weather looks perfect to walk the course and watch the tournament.

Wish I was there – best margaritas on Tour 👌

• ARightTouch

@Kp24 said...

Loading up on Lee Westwood in the hopes he wins so he can go to Augusta.

I wish you luck, you may need it lol.

I’m backing another Englishmen this week – Justin Rose. His putter is getting hot

• BIF

@dmyell12 said...

It’s too bad this will probably be the last year of this events as it’s one of my favorite courses with how it’s set up.

Putting the Valero before the masters feels like a huge mistake. As you said, top flight pros will simply skip it and head to Augusta a week early instead. Unlike you, I find the course to be incredibly monotonous with tree lined and penal par4/5 hole after hole.

I am sure the PGA tour is going to trial and error next seasons schedule because of the changes, but hopefully they’re able to find a better course otherwise the Valero is going to turn into one big Masters Open Qualifier.

Are you from San Antonio area ? I’ve played a little in the area while down on a couple golf trips.

Agree that the Oaks course is not the most visually attractive course but I like it because I prefer the tougher courses.

It sounded like from what I read that they were going to give that (week before the Masters) spot in the calendar to the Valero for a multi-year commitment which to me would mean 3-5 years so I think it won’t be a one-year trial unless tour players get involved.

• dangasin

If a player breaks into the top 50 this week, will they receive invite to Masters or is the window closed?

• Cooper08

• Blogger of the Month

@dangasin said...

If a player breaks into the top 50 this week, will they receive invite to Masters or is the window closed?

Closed, last chance was WGC. Need to win to get in. 86 players currently in field for Masters, won’t be surprised to see it at 87 as only 15 in field this week have qualified for Masters.

• dmyell12

@BIF said...

Are you from San Antonio area ? I’ve played a little in the area while down on a couple golf trips.

Agree that the Oaks course is not the most visually attractive course but I like it because I prefer the tougher courses.

It sounded like from what I read that they were going to give that (week before the Masters) spot in the calendar to the Valero for a multi-year commitment which to me would mean 3-5 years so I think it won’t be a one-year trial unless tour players get involved.

I am not, have only traveled down there to see relatives. Actually from the Twin Cities so excited for Ryder Cup to return.

That’s interesting that it would be a multi year commitment. I don’t mind tree lined courses since in Minnesota that’s all you get for the most part, but I do enjoy a little variety. That’s why I like Austin CC so much because you can play it so many different ways and can still succeed. It forces you to play almost all your clubs in your bag while playing one 450 yard par 4 after another, brings in mostly the same clubs.

I know this is straying a little off topic, but I am curious to see how the 2018-2019 schedule pans out with the PGA Championship moving to May and The Players moving to March. From what I read the WGC Mexico moves before the Florida swing and the Match Play will be right after. Guessing events such as the Honda and Valspar might suffer being sandwiched between other big events.

• nicholasmarsh

Potentially worthless information gleaned from @SmartGolfBets Tournament Sheet. I have reconsidered the weight given to a “MC” (previously equivalent to 100th place finish) so now an MC = 71st place. A WD/DQ are not counted as appearances…

HOUSTON OPEN AVERAGE (at least 2 starts):

• Daniel Berger (3 starts) – 11.67
    • Russell Henley (5 starts) – 12.40
    • Ryan Armour (2 starts) – 19.00
    • Michael Kim (2 starts) – 19.50
    • Phil Mickelson (10 starts) – 24.70
    • Henrik Stenson (6 starts) – 25.50
    • Rod Pampling (2 starts) – 26.00
    • Keegan Bradley (7 starts) – 28.43
    • Sean O’Hair (4 starts) – 28.75
    • Justin Rose (4 starts) – 29.50
    • JB Holmes (7 starts) – 29.57
    • Steve Stricker (9 starts) – 29.67
    • Chris Kirk (3 starts) – 29.67
    • Bud Cauley (3 starts) – 31.67
    • Cameron Tringale (7 starts) – 33.43
    • Luke List (3 starts) – 33.67

HOUSTON OPEN MEDIAN (at least 2 starts):

• Daniel Berger (3 starts) – 5.00
    • Russell Henley (5 starts) – 5.00
    • Henrik Stenson (6 starts) – 12.00
    • JB Holmes (7 starts) – 12.00
    • Keegan Bradley (7 starts) – 15.00
    • Bud Cauley (3 starts) – 16.00
    • Cameron Tringale (7 starts) – 16.00
    • Phil Mickelson (10 starts) – 16.50
    • Ryan Armour (2 starts) – 19.00
    • Michael Kim (2 starts) – 19.50
    • Chris Kirk (3 starts) – 22.00
    • Steve Stricker (9 starts) – 24.00
    • Lee Westwood (10 starts) – 25.50
    • Justin Rose (4 starts) – 26.00
    • Rod Pampling (2 starts) – 26.00
    • Luke List (3 starts) – 27.00

RECENT FORM AVERAGE (at least 3 starts):

• Justin Rose (6 starts) – 14.17
    • Steve Stricker (7 starts) – 19.00
    • Phil Mickelson (8 starts) – 25.88
    • Henrik Stenson (6 starts) – 27.17
    • Rafa Cabrera Bello (8 starts) – 27.38
    • Seung-Su Han (7 starts) – 28.00
    • Byeong-Hun An (7 starts) – 30.57
    • Bob Estes (4 starts) – 31.25
    • Charles Howell (9 starts) – 31.78
    • Daniel Berger (7 starts) – 31.86
    • Luke List (10 starts) – 33.50
    • Matt Kuchar (8 starts) – 33.63
    • Jordan Spieth (8 starts) – 34.75
    • Emiliano Grillo (8 starts) – 35.13
    • James Hahn (9 starts) – 36.22
    • Rickie Fowler (6 starts) – 36.67

RECENT FORM MEDIAN (at least 3 starts):

• Justin Rose (6 starts) – 9.00
    • Phil Mickelson (8 starts) – 9.50
    • Henrik Stenson (6 starts) – 11.00
    • Steve Stricker (7 starts) – 12.00
    • Jordan Spieth (8 starts) – 19.00
    • Daniel Berger (7 starts) – 20.00
    • Byeong-Hun An (7 starts) – 23.00
    • Rafa Cabrera Bello (8 starts) – 26.00
    • Luke List (10 starts) – 26.00
    • Rickie Fowler (6 starts) – 26.50
    • Seung-Su Han (7 starts) – 27.00
    • Bob Estes (4 starts) – 27.00
    • Russell Knox (9 starts) – 29.00
    • Matt Kuchar (8 starts) – 31.00
    • Scott Stallings (9 starts) – 31.00
    • Charles Howell (9 starts) – 32.00

NOTE: I’m looking for guys to appear in both lists to give myself a quick snap-shot of course (event) form and recent form.
    NOTE: CHIII would be in both lists if you only considered his last five appearances at the Houston Open.

• Dunzor

Pricing is up for Houston on DK!

• hbomb57

I see pricing is up. Question do you think some of the guys who went far in the Match play are going to be in form so quickly and especially those that have already qualified to be in the Masters or will they quite possibly just go thru the motions as an earlier poster mentioned just tuning up their game for next week.

• Wander_Bread

@hbomb57 said...

I see pricing is up. Question do you think some of the guys who went far in the Match play are going to be in form so quickly and especially those that have already qualified to be in the Masters or will they quite possibly just go thru the motions as an earlier poster mentioned just tuning up their game for next week.

I am not sure if it is applicable as I have not looked at the field yet, but I would surmise that anyone who went through 2 rounds saturday and even sunday would be pretty wiped out. I know Ian Poulter said he wasn’t sure if his body would be ready to play, though he wants to try and qualify for the masters, but he would be a definite fade for me this week.

• lfn1992

All the Chez at that price

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.