MAIN FORUM

Comments

• djcarr

Star Fantasy Leagues player salaries continue to change after contests are posted. Has anyone else noticed this?

I’ve been contacting support for months now and they just continue to deny it. Yesterday, I couldn’t make changes to my roster because of the issue. It said I had over $300 cap space and I was swapping in a less expensive player but it wouldn’t work. Then I realized it probably had to do with the salary issue and I was correct. There were players in my lineup whose salaries had increased since the contests were posted. They wouldn’t honor the lineup changes even though I sent them a screenshot of the issue showing that I had the cap space. Yet still they would not acknowledge the issue either. They simply said they would once again pass it on to their developers, who I suspect must be interns from a local college.

Anyone else notice these issues?

How can I post a screenshot here?

• sethayates

For Screenshot place an ! before and after link

Like this ! www.link.com !

You would first have to place your pic on imgur, photobucket or some other photo hosting site.

• djcarr

Thanks. That seems like a bit of work. No one plays on that site anyway so I’ll pass unless anyone really cares to see. I just wanted to bring to everyone’s attention. I don’t think that site can last much longer. There’s no way that they are making any $ and support is doing everything to ensure that it stays that way.

• Priptonite

• Blogger of the Month

@djcarr said…

Thanks. That seems like a bit of work.

Literally would take 2 minutes

• djcarr

It took a bit of work since I had to create an account to host on those sites. Pedro Alvarez was the only player in my lineup today whose salary changed but I’m sure there were many other affected players out there. This happens daily too:

• misfit

This was happening to us during NFL Season and is the reason many of us stopped playing there.
    They were not only changing the Salaries for players but, they were even adding players to the player pool that were not there when others entered already and had lineups set.
    To make matters worse they would add these players at a minimum salary giving even further advantage to other users.
    The Contests were a mess and I and many other feel as though we were robbed as we played a completely different player pool as the others. The only ones who stayed were the ones hoping to take advantage of all the new found overlay.
    I would have assumed they learned their lesson then but it looks like the awful decisions continue.

• jaybo64

Wow, can’t believe they continue to do this. When approached about the issue they acted like it was no big deal during NFL. I enjoyed playing there until I noticed this. With baseball being everyday this gives people even less time to notice the changes

• djcarr

Overlay is the only reason I have continued playing there. I only played NHL there but now I have no reason to waste my time. I’m done with them, like I was done with FTD, even with overlay. At least FTD has great customer support.

• djcarr

All sorts of problems today:

Note that it is 7pm PST so it is already 10pm EST. Also, 65 days until start time?

They must be actually trying to fix things since everything is now going wrong. The site was also down 15 min before start time until 15 min after tonight. Pretty sweet service.

• djcarr

I’m guessing it is 365 days until start time. Someone thinks it is 2015.

• djcarr

Unreal. My emails are now getting bounced by support. They don’t even want to know what’s wrong anymore.

• hambazaza

RG Blog Program Manager, 2014 RG Party Beer Pong Champion

• Blogger of the Month

• Beer Pong Champion

this is like watching a star collapse in on itself. once all the gas has been used up and they’re running on fumes, the weight of the outer layer of the star collapses into itself causing the star to become a white dwarf. when this happens, the rate of the nuclear reactions increases and all of a sudden the star gets super hot and expands 100 times its original size.

why am I saying this? SFL is now in the white dwarf stage, it’s used up all its “hydrogen” and is collapsing in on itself. pretty soon, it’ll start blowing up and turn into a red giant, at that point, good luck getting your money.

• sethayates

@hambazaza said…

this is like watching a star collapse in on itself. once all the gas has been used up and they’re running on fumes, the weight of the outer layer of the star collapses into itself causing the star to become a white dwarf. when this happens, the rate of the nuclear reactions increases and all of a sudden the star gets super hot and expands 100 times its original size.

why am I saying this? SFL is now in the white dwarf stage, it’s used up all its “hydrogen” and is collapsing in on itself. pretty soon, it’ll start blowing up and turn into a red giant, at that point, good luck getting your money.

So if it expands to 100 times its original size does that mean they are getting ready to post $100,000 GPP? Could SFL become the Daily Leader in Fantasy Sports and then get a cease and desist letter from other sites threatening a lawsuit? All of that could happen or nothing could happen. Who knows..

• hambazaza

RG Blog Program Manager, 2014 RG Party Beer Pong Champion

• Blogger of the Month

• Beer Pong Champion

@sethayates said…

So if it expands to 100 times its original size does that mean they are getting ready to post $100,000 GPP? Could SFL become the Daily Leader in Fantasy Sports and then get a cease and desist letter from other sites threatening a lawsuit? All of that could happen or nothing could happen. Who knows..

i think what ends up happening is that they’ll expand in reputation, as in, “wow, can you believe what star fantasy leagues did”?

either that or my analogy is dog doo doo

• emac

@hambazaza said…

either that or my analogy is dog doo doo

Or to take it a step further it could be

a) Dogstar…which is the band fronted by none other than Keanu Reeves…which would be dog doo doo…

b) Dog Star aka Sirius, but not to be confused with Yahoo Serious, the comedian who’s humor would be best described as dog doo doo…

• djcarr

@emac said…

Or to take it a step further it could be

a) Dogstar…which is the band fronted by none other than Keanu Reeves…which would be dog doo doo…

b) Dog Star aka Sirius, but not to be confused with Yahoo Serious, the comedian who’s humor would be best described as dog doo doo…

Hahaha! Either way, I’ll be cleaning the shit from my cleats for weeks after playing there. I already removed the majority of my $ so I’m not worried about that. Maybe they believe that no press is bad press? I don’t think they last the rest of the year.

• SFLZach

SFL CEO

• x2

2015 DraftKings FBBWC Finalist

Hello Rotogrinders,

I am Zachary Stanley, the CEO of Star Fantasy Leagues. This thread was brought to our attention when it was posted on Tuesday night, and since then we worked overnight Tuesday, all day yesterday, and through the night last night to identify and solve any issues related to the gameplay at StarFantasyLeagues.com before replying fully. We take the integrity of our contests and our software very seriously, and we appreciate your patience and understanding while we worked to resolve this complaint.

There are three issues that we became aware of late Tuesday evening. One is that e-mails sent to our support team were bouncing back to the sender, the second that our website had crashed, and the third that salaries may have changed after players were able to register for a contest and draft a team. Here’s what we found.

E-Mail Bounces

We experienced a technical issue on Tuesday afternoon that caused our software development team’s internal error reporting system to send us a large amount of e-mail alerts, and this overloaded our e-mail server. We have identified and fixed this issue so that our internal e-mail alerts will not stress the same server handling support e-mails. This issue will not occur again.

Website Crash

Our website crashed intermittently Tuesday afternoon and evening due to a server error. We have identified and removed what caused this error so this will not occur again.

Salaries

It was brought to our attention that salaries for a recent Star Fantasy Leagues contest may have changed after the contest was opened for registration, potentially allowing one customer to draft a player at one salary, and another customer to draft the same player at a different salary. This is different from the issue that Misfit is referencing (when Jason Campbell was added to the player pool with a minimum quarterback salary following the Cleveland Browns quarterback fiasco during the 2013 NFL season), which we clarified in another thread as a matter of site policy. In our diligence we discovered a bug, since fixed, that we would like to address here.

Firstly, what we discovered is that there was approximately a three hour window (7PM EST to 10PM EST) where some games scheduled for the following day were allowing players to register and draft a lineup using the previous evening’s salaries for the following day’s games. At approximately 10PM EST the salaries would automatically update for the next night’s contest based on our salary algorithms. However, if a player were to draft their lineup in this 3 hour window for the following day’s games, they would be able to lock in a player at a salary different than players who drafted after the salaries had been updated. It appeared at first glance that this bug seemed to affect contests arbitrarily, but we were able to pinpoint that this only occurred when we had a server restart in this 3 hour window that re-ran all of our nightly automatic processes. Fortunately this problem was not widespread, but unfortunately it did affect a small number of Star Fantasy Leagues contests. Specifically, it affected a total of 0.11% of our contests where two or more users were able to draft the same player at two slightly different salaries.

This bug was fully resolved so this issue cannot occur again.

Secondly, we had a built in fail-safe in our code that prohibited two users from drafting the same player at different salaries to combat this scenario should it ever arise, but in our diligence since this issue came to our attention we have discovered that this fail safe was not functioning to design. This issue has also been fixed to prevent this from happening again.

After fixing these bugs, we embarked on a full audit of all users and all real money games since Star Fantasy Leagues launched in 2012 to identify any contests where a customer may have drafted a player at one salary while another customer drafted the same player at a different salary. We identified all of the contests where this scenario occurred, and we have issued full refunds of the buy-in and entry fee to all Star Fantasy Leagues customers who did not place in the money in these contests. These refunds to all customers total $10,066.00. If you played in a contest that was affected, your portion is available to you in your Star Fantasy Leagues account. If you received a refund, we have already contacted you directly via your e-mail address on file at Star Fantasy Leagues.

We take great pride in the software we’ve built and the level of customer service we provide. Though technical errors are few and far between, errors can happen when you’re building something unique. We can assure you that these errors will not occur again, and if there are any issues that may arise in the future we pledge to handle them with the same integrity. We are proud to continue to serve the fantasy sports community, and we hope that this issue has been handled to your satisfaction. Star Fantasy Leagues was born out of my love for fantasy sports and the sense of camaraderie built around it, so we’ll always do the right thing by our customers as that’s what we’d want for ourselves. On behalf of myself and Star Fantasy Leagues, we hope you continue to enjoy our software and our games, and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Zachary Stanley

• djcarr

Zach, thank you for finally resolving this issue. I think you’ve really gone ahead and have done right for the players too. Thanks for the shiny new cleats. I’ll stick around for a while. In the future, please have Jonathan take my (and others’) issues more seriously to avoid this from happening for months longer than necessary.

Thanks again!

• fadein34

Well done SFL. And thank you form the informative response here on RG.

Another recent “issue” msg included a msg from a DFS site saying they’d prefer that to go through support vs forums. I totally agree we should all go through support but i also say we should post to the forum if we want. This is a great example of why. The DFS player community is a tool for us players. Chances are if this was reported on the forum a couple months ago we would have had a resolution a couple of months ago. We all need to work together for the greater good of DFS players.

I’ve been thinking about floating the following idea out there recently so i’ll do it now. I think DFS players should create an advocacy group. This group would collect ideas of how to better the industry and they would work with the different sites to let me know this is what the players want. I hate to always reference my horse racing handicapping contest background but it’s what i know and it’s very similar to DFS. Horse players have a group called HANA (Horseplayers Association of America) that works toward change for the better for the horseplayer. What would be great about this in DFS it would happen within a few years of inception whereas HANA came about hundreds (something like that) of years later. I’d hate to be here 5 or 10 years from now saying we should have created a group 5 or 10 years ago. The RG community is already a great place for this and ive noticed in my short time of being on RG we have a lot of influence. A formal players group would kind of take what we have and bring it to the next level.

Something to think about. Maybe a new thread should be created regarding this subject? A couple of things off the top which would be top priority:

1) rake (or takeout)
    We need to be front and center and not allow rake to sky rocket. Additionally, maybe we request sites to offer special “ low rake” contests. Periodically offer games at 5% instead of 10%. Even if it’s 1 gpp a week. Whatever the case, we just ned to ask for it.
    2) legalize DFS in Washington state (and any other state)
    3) better bonus programs (e.g., faster dripping faucet) including reload bonuses for existing players

Food for thought.

• djcarr

Totally agree with the support vs forums topic. I always go through support. Unfortunately, support did not get the job done so I decided, after months of continuing issues, to actually post it here. In less than 2 days, they finally resolved it. Sometimes you need to go public with issues to put a fire under a DFS site’s ass. That goes to show the power of this RG community and does lead me to also agree that a DFS players’ association (DFSPA maybe?) would be useful.

I would suggest that anyone who has played at SFL to log in and see if you got a refund. If it was recent, the chances are that you did get something. In the end, this could even build momentum for SFL by regaining players that might have left.

Again, kudos to SFL for getting the job done right and even refunding $ to players.

• misfit

Well, I am not sure how much the rest of you got back but I got a stinking $26 when I am clearly owed far more. I was entering $109 GPP’s that we know for sure this was happening in! Where is all that money?
    We even posted about it back when it happened and your support teams response was pretty much that it was our fault we didnt notice Players being added at users requests and after dozens of others had entered and set lineups.
    You admit wrong but not on the money that matters!
    How about you actually suck it up as your support suggested we do and pay back what we feel your support team robbed us of by allowing users an uneven playing field? Your support caused ALL this.
    We entered trusting that what we saw was the contest only to realize that you gave unfair advantage to others.
    Keep your crappy $26 and Pay me for my $109 entries!

• jaybo64

Two things happened during NFL that I noticed and your support was made aware of it. 1. Players being added that were minimum salary after contest were entered 2. Minimum Salary players salary being raised after the contest was posted. If I enter a contest early in the week and set a lineup and just say I want to play Josh McCown, but he is not listed(just a made up example, cant remember actual players) When I go in to edit my roster before opening kickoff, I am not going to even look for him because he was not there before, giving me a big disadvantage against players who entered after that point. That is what had me stop playing there, I did not receive any refund but that’s okay. I was made to feel like a (bleep) for bringing it up on your site chat and was told by your support people that it was not a big deal. Not sure why you guys are acting like this is something new

• djcarr

That is an entirely different issue, unfortunately. The current issue resolved their glitch that had players temporarily able to be used at previous day’s salary which caused differences in salaries from entry time to start time.

Maybe a forum post back then would have helped resolve things as it seemed to this time around. Hopefully it won’t be necessary with SFL going forward.

I’m going to make sure that they don’t still add players after contest start times. I haven’t noticed that with MLB or NHL but I hope they don’t think that is still ok. That is definitely wrong.

• jaybo64

I think there was a post last time, not sure. Salaries did change mid week in football on players as well. For example a player was at minimum at the beginning of week, and he would be bumped up in salary if he was announced a starter later on in the week. QBs was the big one that I noticed it

• misfit

@djcarr said…

That is an entirely different issue, unfortunately. The current issue resolved their glitch that had players temporarily able to be used at previous day’s salary which caused differences in salaries from entry time to start time.

Maybe a forum post back then would have helped resolve things as it seemed to this time around. Hopefully it won’t be necessary with SFL going forward.

I’m going to make sure that they don’t still add players after contest start times. I haven’t noticed that with MLB or NHL but I hope they don’t think that is still ok. That is definitely wrong.

Yes, there was a thread posted and they responded to it basically telling us it was our fault for not going back to see IF players had been added.
    Salaries were also changing in Mid week. We complained about how that could happen as well.
    I have not played there since this issue so it was obviously occurring back then or I would NOT have received a refund at all.
    If they are refunding my $2 entries I want the $109 ones as well!

• misfit

I was actually the one that started the thread back then and here is the link to that issue.
    You will notice, the same EXACT things occurred only worse! As they added players at users requests at a minimum salary!
    How absurd is that?
    And yes, Games went off with players having different salaries.
    We were just ignored because admitting the mistake would have cost them to much out of pocket as these were $109 and $55 entry contests.
    /threads/Sites_changing_the_player_po-182062

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).