STRATEGY FORUM

Comments

• BradfordEra

I was just curious if someone could help me out. I want to start out playing dk or FanDuel with a $5000 bankroll. Ive never devoted this much money to one of these sites. I was curious if anyone has started at a similar bankroll and was it enough? If I’m winning at a 60-65% clip,is it enough to make a 1k-2k a month? I’m no good with the math. Lol

Thank you in advance.

• jmm92

sent you a pm

• DSofM

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #16

RG Tiered Ranking

• 2020 NASCAR Live Finalist

• Blogger of the Month

@BradfordEra said...

If I’m winning at a 60-65% clip,is it enough to make a 1k-2k a month?

This seems like a pretty straight-forward math problem so if you can’t solve it I’m gonna go ahead and suggest you not drop $5000 on DFS yet.

• bigez952

Your no good with math yet you expect to win 65% of the time with DFS. With a little elementary math this can be done by playing $500 a day for 30 days. That would be $15,000 in entry fees and if you can win enough for a 10% ROI which is the hard part you would make $1,500 a month.

Problem is if you don’t have a system that is already crushing and winning your not going to be successful by just betting more. Only 10% or so of all users are profitable so only play with a bankroll you would be comfortable with losing should your system not being as good as you think it is.

• noddy

Love this. Good luck man.

• Lathum

@DSofM said...

This seems like a pretty straight-forward math problem so if you can’t solve it I’m gonna go ahead and suggest you not drop $5000 on DFS yet.

This was my thought. I know you aren’t good at math, but you have zero chance at success. Does that compute? Invest the 5K in a savings bond or renewable energy stocks.

• jimmyquinella

• Blogger of the Month

Assuming this is a real question, I would say your expectations are a tad high with a 5k total bank.

I wish you all the luck and remember to have fun.

• GolfCoach

Make sure you can actually win at that rate before you bump up your bankroll. You need a large sample size to determine this. And then you have to prepare for long losing streaks that will inevitably happen by playing a very small percentage of your bankroll each day. Really good players (with 60% win rates, for instance) go busto because of bad bankroll management.

• Morley

i don’t think you should commit 5k right off the bat for 3 reasons

1. You clearly don’t have a plan in place, I never studied advanced math but constantly learning on a need to know basis. Given that you are asking others to do the work for you here instead of asking for help learning the math of bankroll management, calculating ROI, etc tells me you aren’t really that interested in learning. If you aren’t interested in learning and improving, you’re going to be eaten alive out there.

For example, there is a massive gap between 60% winning and 65% winning. If you don’t know that you’re in a for a rude awakening. If you don’t know if you win 60% or 65% then you likely don’t win that much. Putting $10 into 50 h2h each night, you need to win 56% at 10% rake just to break even. 60% will net you a profit of $40 a day and 65% $85, that 5% jump more than doubles your profit.

I still wouldn’t put 10% in each night, that’s a highly leveraged position and a bad week and you’re done.

2. you’re a big fish in a small pond right now

it’s very easy finding easy games, games with overlay, games with weak fields etc at low volume but once you start big volume those high ROI opportunities become an increasingly smaller portion of your portfolio

never underestimate the opposition nor the rake, once you get volume in, you’re going to be up against more of the better players who have been doing this profitably for years. That win rate may stay above break even, but I doubt it’ll be much higher than that.

I’m one of the few profitable dfs players but only by careful game selection. right now I’m trying to get in more h2h volume and that requires hosting games, the sharks see me as the fresh meat not recognizing me so they usually play me every night for a week or two before realizing I’m not a good ROI but in the meantime they’re killing my win rate. I’m optimistic they’ll eventually disperse but I’m not going to ever reliably beat the top players 56% of the time, what is going to happen the majority of the time is we both lose money to the rake or i lose about 60% of the time and they keep bumhunting me until I bow out of doing large h2h volume. The only reason I continue doing h2h is I am hoping they start respecting me and leave me alone to where I almost exclusively play more casual dfs guys, which I certainly will beat more than 56% of the time

3. most “pro” poker players weren’t ever really good, they just beat up on some weak competition like a weekly home game or had a good winning streak that they didn’t realize was just luck over a short sample size. Many people quit their jobs and committed to it. Within 6 months to a year, most were running on empty and not just exhausted their bankrolls but life savings as well. Of course, trying to tell some new player to use caution is usually just wasting your breath.

If 5k is something you can afford to spend on a hobby then by all means, but from the sound of it, that isn’t an amount you can comfortably lose.

Again, this begs the question, if you’re killing it to the tune of 65% win rate, then you’re seeing a 117% ROI. That’s more than enough to organically build a bankroll. Why don’t you just stick with it first and see how it goes?

• BradfordEra

Love the internet! Lol
    Thanks everyone!

• mtdurham

Here’s the advice i would give ANYONE starting out on DFS.

ONLY PLAY SINGLE ENTRY CONTESTS, and 3-MAX $3 and BELOW GPP.

AND

20 MAX QUARTER JUKEBOX

The 20 max quarter jukebox is a good way to play a ton of lineups and gain experience… the single and 3max is a way to test yourself against good players without getting murdered.

If you establish a decent track recrod then you are ready for the $5 single entry, $12 single entry, etc…

If you start in larger buyins you will get slaughtered until you figure out proper straategy for each sport, field sizes, etc

• mtdurham

@Morley said...

most “pro” poker players weren’t ever really good, they just beat up on some weak competition like a weekly home game

Correct.. i am a lifetime large winner in poker strictly because i controlled the competition i played against with game selection. If you have an accurate assessment of your skills you can make money. But if you’re the 5th best player in the world you can lose a LOT of money at a full table containing the other 4.

I think in poker its much easier to recongize who is drubbing you on a nightly basis and start to avoid them….. in DFS you cant avoid them because they’re maxing out every contest.

For instance…. iim not bad at DFS baseball…. in fact i consider myself “pretty good” as an extreemyl low limit GPP or small field guy…. as in i think i have longterm breakeven capability….im not there yet but im very close after about 3 months of practice.

But if a guy like captspaulding is max entering every tournament and i never get as good as he is… will i ever be profitable?? Im not sure…

On the other hand i never needed to be in the top 10,000 in the world to dominate my weekly home games or even many,many, many 1/2 and 2/5 NL games around the country.

Poker you can win if you can check your ego and select games properly. DFS requires much, much, much more skill than poker.

• DaBum2012

• 2018 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

I wouldn’t do it just yet. My thing is, keep it short, simple, and small especially if you’re a newbie to the site. Plus it’s easier to keep track of your roster too in case someone doesn’t make the lineup for the day making it easier to swap a player. You can’t do that as quickly and easily with thousands of dollars in entries. Unfortunately, the high rollers haven’t figured that one out yet. Their MO is to enter as many lineups as possible using a computer and not really watching the sport and then they pray by sheer luck that one of them hits. They don’t get to know the players at all. I’ve seen high rollers make this fatal mistake all the time. Their mistakes show even more when it comes down to live championships where only a handful get through. They don’t know the players-only what a database tells them and they bomb. I picked up on this flaw and this is how I was able to qualify for the WFBC and at least come in on top. Folks like dannypickem and Squirrelpatrol too that was at the WFBC with us noticed that too and we were the ones that beat the people with high bankrolls. The high rollers all finished 78th or worse. That’s why a lot of the high rollers didn’t even bother coming to the live event. They knew they were screwed.

• giantsfan12345

This may be one of the worst takes I have ever seen

• dubchr7

• Blogger of the Month

JERRY! JERRY! JERRY!!!

• 2Slik

• Ranked #23

RG Tiered Ranking

You posted ironically the same thing last year with a 2k deposit. I’m going to assume you didn’t win at 60-65%. My suggestion is to offer H2H’s to my account daily…

To be honest spend one month playing nothing over a $3 entry. If your bankroll isn’t any bigger after that then consider yourself smart to not do so on a larger scale.

Or just go YOLO and max out the Thursday Kickoff Millionaire & Sunday Millionaire. The world is your oyster.

• gordylamb

RG Overall Ranking

Is this the “move up to where they respect your raises” DFS equivalent?

• tomac

my man, drop another $300 in the account and play a 5300 3-man. Trip up in one day.

• EadesScience

Do some research and invest that 5K in some Canadian marijuana company.

Ricky

• sochoice

• 2017 DraftKings FBWC Finalist

• 2017 FanDuel WFFC Champion

Definitely can help you out. I was in a similar situation last year for NFL season. Happy to discuss with you. My fee is $4950, so you’ll have a cool $50 for your starting bankroll. More than enough to get you going.

• bigez952

@sochoice said...

Definitely can help you out. I was in a similar situation last year for NFL season. Happy to discuss with you. My fee is $4950, so you’ll have a cool $50 for your starting bankroll. More than enough to get you going.

That sounds like a great deal. Hell you only need $20 to win $1,000,000 week 1 which should easily cover the rest of the season.

• mtdurham

@gordylamb said...

• sochoice

• 2017 DraftKings FBWC Finalist

• 2017 FanDuel WFFC Champion

@bigez952 said...

That sounds like a great deal. Hell you only need $20 to win $1,000,000 week 1 which should easily cover the rest of the season.

Exactly. That’s enough bankroll for two Milly Makers and 10 $1 contests the first week. My fee is a bargain given what he would be winning. And if he doesn’t, that’s variance for you.

• Morley

@mtdurham said...

If you have an accurate assessment of your skills you can make money. But if you’re the 5th best player in the world you can lose a LOT of money at a full table containing the other 4.

I think in poker its much easier to recongize who is drubbing you on a nightly basis and start to avoid them….. in DFS you cant avoid them because they’re maxing out every contest.

This is exactly what I wanted to say, thanks

• hendry

@EadesScience said...

Do some research and invest that 5K in some Canadian marijuana company.

Ricky

MU 9/21 90C

• noddy

@gordylamb said...

This is hilarious.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).