PGA FORUM

Comments

• whodat2

When: April 11-14

Where: Augusta, Georgia

Course: Augusta National – A par 72 course, playing at 7445 yards.

Cut Rules: Top 50 + ties AND anyone who is within 10 strokes of the leader. (There is no MDF here)

Field Size: Will be around 90 golfers.

Last Year’s Winner: Patrick Reed (-15)

Last Year’s Cut: +5 (53 golfers made it through)

Live Coverage:
    **Masters.com
    **DirecTV channels 701-705
    **CBS
    **ESPN on Thurs & Fri
    Shot-tracker: Masters.com (not on pgatour.com)

Google Doc

RG Golf Forum League

Happy Meal Standings

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – Golf strategy talk for this week’s contest. Post referring to last week’s contest will be moved to the correct thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..

• ValuableTrader

The more I look at everything I just don’t know how I fade Rory in my main lineup…I’m like looking for ways to do this and I just can’t.

I’m hoping ownership at the top is not as bad with Rory/DJ and people go with the Rose/Thomas or even Woods route to spread this out. I know I was thinking about that right away, going Rose to avoid the high ownership of Rory/DJ but it may not be that bad after all.

Thoughts?

• Pbasniper

Anyone do a Best Ball on Draft yet for the 4 majors? Did my first one yesterday I enjoyed it, debating doing a 2nd entry, was my first time doing any contests with them.

• BIF

@Gathon11 said...

So was Jack Nicklaus and he was ok here.

No competition back then – he showed up and was guaranteed a Top 10

• Cooper08

• Blogger of the Month

Sorry, another long post…..

Ah the wind….I imagine that will be a big topic over the next 24-36 hrs. Below are some things I have found out over the last few years pertaining to wind and Augusta and some of my thoughts.

The wind you see at Augusta is a different wind than most tournaments. Augusta will give you a swirling wind that is not consistent. This is a bad wind for golfers as they would much prefer a consistent wind, it’s not a coastal wind. Elevation is the reason for inconsistency along with all the trees.

The forecast and the way tee times are set up will not favor any tee times. We have seen players score well in the wind at Augusta. You hit the right holes at the right time and you are at an advantage. Who that will be, nobody knows.

Many will favor euros due to wind, this isn’t the greatest idea. The vast majority of players who are good wind players are playing this week. In addition, I feel the euros are better in wind is negated at Augusta as the wind type is not often seen on tour. Most wind issues happen on open coastal courses. Most people think low ball flight in wind. I would still prefer high ball flight. A low ball flight, wind or not is going to make it hard to hold greens, higher ball flight will still be more receptive.

Many will go straight out bombers due to wind, another bad idea. In this type of wind I would prefer players who are very good around the greens vs bombers. If the bomber is good around the green that’s great but look for players who are good around the greens as many shots will end up long or short. When I mean long or short I mean 20-40 yards as you typically don’t have balls stay near the green due to the shaved areas around the green.

Experience becomes even more important in wind at Augusta. Not number of years of playing in wind but actually playing at Augusta in the wind.

Most tournaments wind eliminates a certain amount of players due to field size and players who lack wind skills. At the Masters I feel it brings more players in. You have the best players competing this week.

Thursday and Friday shouldn’t be the big worries for wind if the forecast stays the same, Sunday could be the day to worry.

Below are some of the windiest rounds over the last few years. You can look back at the rounds and you can checks scores and see who played well and didn’t. The number in parentheses is number of rounds under 70.

Round 2 10-15 SSW (7)
    Round 3 10-15 SW (10)

Round 1 20-25 WSW Gusts 30 (2)
    Round 2 14-18 WNW Gusts 30 (6)

Round 1 12-16 WSW Gusts 30-35 (8)
    Round 2 10-15 WNW Gusts 30 (0)
    Round 3 15-20 WNW Gusts 25-30 (1)

2014/2015 all rounds under 10mph

Round 2 10-20 (5)

As you can see from above shooting a good score is still possible. Keep in mind that shooting under 70 at Augusta is difficult whether there is wind or not. For the rounds not listed above the number of rounds shot under 70 is ten +/- a couple on any given day.

Also keep in mind that as the tourney moves on it will not take as much wind to make the course difficult as it will dry up and play faster. Also the more wind throughout the tourney will make off the tee accuracy even more important. As stated above, the dryer the course the more it will roll meaning the more wild off the tee will become more wilder. There is no rough so the ball will just roll and roll. Being in or around the trees won’t hurt swing as the limbs typically don’t affect swing. Being in tree will affect distance and shot type as you will have to lay up if water in play or if not you will be hitting a low ball that typically runs to a green that is shaved.

I favor experience and short game with imagination this week over any other stats.

• jki7p6

Going bullet across all contests this week. Picked opening lineup real fast based on my pick to win not being chalky, and seemed too easy. Its a sign!

• BIF

@ValuableTrader said...

The more I look at everything I just don’t know how I fade Rory in my main lineup…I’m like looking for ways to do this and I just can’t.

I’m hoping ownership at the top is not as bad with Rory/DJ and people go with the Rose/Thomas or even Woods route to spread this out. I know I was thinking about that right away, going Rose to avoid the high ownership of Rory/DJ but it may not be that bad after all.

Thoughts?

Rose is going to be as highly owned if not higher than at least one of Rory/DJ – his record at Augusta is better.

DJ and Rory with all their power have never finished in Top 3 here – they have also both missed a cut here this decade – Rose has not MC’d and has two 2nd place finishes.

If you are looking at those 3 names, pick who you think wins and do not think about ownership being important as they will all be in the 17-23%

• NDNole

@ValuableTrader said...

Thoughts?

I think there will be a lot of rory/Hoffman lineups

• Dewoc19

@BIF said...

Loving the wind forecasts for the week – Saturday only calm day and Sunday will have 30+ mph wind gusts. They may have to slow greens down as balls will be rolling off. Thur-Fri will be a bit windy especially Friday with 20-25 mph gusts. Winning score will be single digits unless someone shoots 64-65 on Saturday.

Where did you find this out? When I checked the wheather it said the highest winds would be was 15mph. But it made no mention of gusts, Sunday looks like a shit storm though, 80% chance for thunderstroms

• monarch

Coop….based off that sounds like you like Rickie

• StabiloBoss10

@eruthruff said...

Is ability to putt on fast greens important here? If so, what other courses/tournaments tend to have fast greens?

API

• monarch

Does nobody like Jason Day here? Birdies, wind player, putter, short game, distance, low ownership. He has a lot of check marks for me as a GPP play…he and Woodland.

• Pbasniper

@monarch said...

Does nobody like Jason Day here?

I think everyone is still afraid of his back on the forum.

• Asimon08

No shot the course is playing to long for him being soft.

• NDNole

If DJ and rory are going to be 20% I think I can have a iineup or 2 with Rahm/Koepka and zig when others zag.

• Kp24

@monarch said...

Does nobody like Jason Day here? Birdies, wind player, putter, short game, distance, low ownership. He has a lot of check marks for me as a GPP play…he and Woodland.

Gave him a very hard look. Love his game here and has been close before here but yes I am also scared off because of his injury concern.

Price is nice tho for an ownership play and roster construction

• Cooper08

• Blogger of the Month

@monarch said...

Coop….based off that sounds like you like Rickie

No Rickie for me this week. He is to erratic currently being carried by a hot putter. I think he finds to much trouble to continually overcome this week and a couple holes get the best of him. My current top five would be, in no order, DJ, Rose, Day, Oosthuizen and Si Woo. Also liking Tiger, Na and Webb but I am wanting to see what players/caddies feel the winning score will be. The lower the score the more I like the latter three.

• BIF

@Dewoc19 said...

Where did you find this out? When I checked the wheather it said the highest winds would be was 15mph. But it made no mention of gusts, Sunday looks like a shit storm though, 80% chance for thunderstroms

Sometimes I wonder why you even bother playing – every couple of weeks someone posts a website with great wind (and gust) forecasts yet you have never bookmarked it for future use.

Windy.com and windfinder.com are both great; you’ll have to figure out on your own how to use the sites and locate Augusta.

• querb

@BIF said...

Loving the wind forecasts for the week – Saturday only calm day and Sunday will have 30+ mph wind gusts. They may have to slow greens down as balls will be rolling off. Thur-Fri will be a bit windy especially Friday with 20-25 mph gusts. Winning score will be single digits unless someone shoots 64-65 on Saturday.

where in the world are you seeing this?

• ValuableTrader

@Cooper08 said...

No Rickie for me this week. He is to erratic currently being carried by a hot putter. I think he finds to much trouble to continually overcome this week and a couple holes get the best of him. My current top five would be, in no order, DJ, Rose, Day, Oosthuizen and Si Woo. Also liking Tiger, Na and Webb but I am wanting to see what players/caddies feel the winning score will be. The lower the score the more I like the latter two.

I feel like Si-Woo is going to be like 10-12%…he’s like the perfect match to Rory if you start out with Rory as your top guy. Him or Kisner. I too love Si-Woo but I’m starting to get nervous with his ownership…

• querb

nevermind, see it now

• monarch

I want to get an accurate feel for the wind. I’ve made mistakes in the past of accounting for too much wind. I feel like if the wind is a major concern it takes me off of Rory a bit and steers me towards more balance and grinders like Moli. May have to split my entries based on wind/no wind.

Leishman is another wind player….right? I like Leishman, he lives right down the street. If I win the milly we can be neighbors…lol

• Pbasniper

@BIF said...

you have never bookmarked it for future use.

Add datagolf and cutsweats to this, seems like every week people are amazed these sites exist.

• lfn1992

@monarch said...

I do.

• monarch

@Asimon08 said...

No shot the course is playing to long for him being soft.

Who are you referring to?

• Cooper08

• Blogger of the Month

@monarch said...

I want to get an accurate feel for the wind. I’ve made mistakes in the past of accounting for too much wind. I feel like if the wind is a major concern it takes me off of Rory a bit and steers me towards more balance and grinders like Moli. May have to split my entries based on wind/no wind.

Leishman is another wind player….right? I like Leishman, he lives right down the street. If I win the milly we can be neighbors…lol

Look at Leishman scores in the rounds I listed in above post….:)

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.