PGA FORUM

Comments

• whodat2

When: April 11-14

Where: Augusta, Georgia

Course: Augusta National – A par 72 course, playing at 7445 yards.

Cut Rules: Top 50 + ties AND anyone who is within 10 strokes of the leader. (There is no MDF here)

Field Size: Will be around 90 golfers.

Last Year’s Winner: Patrick Reed (-15)

Last Year’s Cut: +5 (53 golfers made it through)

Live Coverage:
    **Masters.com
    **DirecTV channels 701-705
    **CBS
    **ESPN on Thurs & Fri
    Shot-tracker: Masters.com (not on pgatour.com)

Google Doc

RG Golf Forum League

Happy Meal Standings

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – Golf strategy talk for this week’s contest. Post referring to last week’s contest will be moved to the correct thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..

• jstevens2k11

Me starting my Masters research:

• smallANDflaccid

@jstevens2k11 said...

Interesting approach. I tend to just look at stats.

• keephustlincuz

@jstevens2k11 said...

I probably should ask this but I’m kind of drunk. How do you get 6 golfers from that?

• BIF

@chrissyfools said...

I’ll be there for Monday’s practice round. First time attending the Masters. I’m excited and can’t wait! Anyone who’s been there have any advice?

I’ve been to The Masters a couple times (2006 and 2014) – both times I was there for 5 days (Wed-Sun).

How long are you staying in the area ?
    Popular spots for visitors are T-Bonz steakhouse and Hooters (John Daly is usually there with his Motor Home selling stuff and sometimes plays guitar there).

Agree with Coop on comfortable shoes – huge elevation changes that TV doesn’t totally do justice to. The decline from the 10th tee to the 11th green is the equivalent to the height of the Empire State Building. The 11th green/12th green is basically the low spot on the course which contributes to the swirling winds at Amen Corner.

Make sure (obviously) to spend some time at Amen Corner 11.12.13 and at 15-16 watching shots come in. Also make sure you take the walk up 17 and then again up 18 (paying attention to how tight that chute is they have to tee off in and how uphill that 2nd shot is. Imagine coming there having a 1-shot lead or needing a par and having to hit those 2 shots (drive and approach).

The 4th hole is a beast of a Par 3 especially when pin is cut tight behind front bunker. The new longer 5th will play tough as it won’t be a short iron in anymore to a tricky little green. I really like the walk up the Par 5 sixth hole and it’s hard to believe so many guys get home in two there with a kinda blind 2nd shot.

Enjoy !!! Monday is not the best day for to see the real superstars as many only play 9 holes so if you hear/see Tiger or Rory is out there, jump to their holes (don’t wait for them to come through) as they may not play the full round. Also after a long day of walking and shopping at the Merch Shop, go to the range and sit yourself down there – many guys will be practicing and others just socializing so you may get to listen in or interact. The range is soooo beautiful with target bunkers to aim at and work shots off of them plus a ton of target greens.

• BIF

@Pbasniper said...

I honestly do and I would bet on it, do they do anti top 10 bets for PGA at sports books I have no idea? He has a 73.5 scoring average with one round below par (It was a 69) and openly talks about how the course doesn’t fit what he does well and I think it shows. No doubt the guy is playing out of his mind right now and I’ve including him in lineups recently but wouldn’t touch him here and would be perfectly OK to see him become some weird 15+% chalk.

I’ve been anti-Kisner here in the past but I may have some – other than being a shorter hitter, there is no reason why he shouldn’t Top 20 here. He is from the area (Aiken SC) and is familiar with the grass and weather. He plays a draw and Augusta favours the Right to Left player. He is a great Putter and you need to putt above average to score here.

He has let some majors get away with bad Weekend rounds but this week has to help his psyche by holding it together and if he ever got into a final couple of groups situation again, I’d like to think he could keep the ship pointed in the right direction.

I won’t own much, but it’ll be more than zero.

• BIF

@ValuableTrader said...

That’s pretty cool.

I think Tiger will contend but I don’t know if he will be able to keep up with the big hitters. Rahm/DJ/Rory, probably looking at like -20 this year.

I can’t see -20 or anything close

Just looking at 2012-2018, the best scores have been Spieth -18 (Win 2015), Reed -15 (Win 2018) and some -14’s (Rory, Phil & Rose) that finished 2nd to those two winners.

Reed putted great last year and Rory made a decent charge and still they were only -15/-14. Nobody in that period has shot 4 rounds in the 60’s here and to go -20, you’d pretty much have to do that which is a very very tough task as the course can play so different from one day to the next.

• Steverino01

After seeing this, I’m going 100% Phil.

This @jakeowen story about going up to Phil Mickelson at Jordan Spieth’s wedding is just a taste of maybe the best interview we’ve ever done. Just unbelievably good stories from this legend.

https://twitter.com/RiggsBarstool/status/1112849515130880006

• ValuableTrader

@BIF said...

I can’t see -20 or anything close

Just looking at 2012-2018, the best scores have been Spieth -18 (Win 2015), Reed -15 (Win 2018) and some -14’s (Rory, Phil & Rose) that finished 2nd to those two winners.

Reed putted great last year and Rory made a decent charge and still they were only -15/-14. Nobody in that period has shot 4 rounds in the 60’s here and to go -20, you’d pretty much have to do that which is a very very tough task as the course can play so different from one day to the next.

Yeah I hear ya but some of these long guys like I mentioned are starting to play in their 3rd, 4th + Masters and starting to get to know this course. I don’t see the -18 record holding much longer. May not hit -20 but I think the scoring is going to be pretty good this year.

• Cooper08

• Blogger of the Month

@ValuableTrader said...

Yeah I hear ya but some of these long guys like I mentioned are starting to play in their 3rd, 4th + Masters and starting to get to know this course. I don’t see the -18 record holding much longer. May not hit -20 but I think the scoring is going to be pretty good this year.

Man you need to learn more about the Masters….sorry but -20 will not happen….

The masters committee won’t allow it, they will purchase more land and make it longer

No player has ever shot four rounds in the 60’s

Only 13 players have started with three consecutive 60’s

Only 34 players have shot -12 or better

Just because you hit the ball long doesn’t mean you will succeed. You have to hit it long, be a great putter and exceptional around the green.

In order to go low day after day the green said need to be receptive. The greens at Augusta National are not receptive as you must hit exceptional shots to hold them. If it rains the sub air system will drain the water quickly making them only slightly more receptive.

Could it happen, possibly but I feel I have a better shot at a hockey player breaking Wayne Gretzky goal record or a mlb breaking Cal Ripken’s consecutive games played streak. Just in case you don’t follow those sports, those records will never be broken.

• hautalak

@Cooper08 said...

those records will never be broken.

But but Oveckin… only joking of course but he’ll come the “closest” in this 20 year or so stretch.

• mgravity

What site now is best to find player course history at the Masters?

• chrissyfools

@BIF said...

I’ve been to The Masters a couple times (2006 and 2014) – both times I was there for 5 days (Wed-Sun).

Popular spots for visitors are T-Bonz steakhouse and Hooters (John Daly is usually there with his Motor Home selling stuff and sometimes plays guitar there)

We’re flying out of Baltimore early Saturday morning and spending all Saturday in ATL. We’re driving to Augusta on Sunday and will be there until we leave some time on Tuesday. I read about T-Bonz before and my brother is a big Daly fan. I’m really pissed about no phones for practice rounds as that’s my main source of photography and I have a lens that can be attached to my phone for better quality pics. Are you allowed to take cigars/cigs in with you?

• BIF

@mgravity said...

What site now is best to find player course history at the Masters?

The google doc link in the header post

Scroll Up

• chrissyfools

@BIF said...

Popular spots for visitors are T-Bonz steakhouse and Hooters (John Daly is usually there with his Motor Home selling stuff and sometimes plays guitar there)

My internet sucks. Sorry

• BIF

@chrissyfools said...

We’re flying out of Baltimore early Saturday morning and spending all Saturday in ATL. We’re driving to Augusta on Sunday and will be there until we leave some time on Tuesday. I read about T-Bonz before and my brother is a big Daly fan. I’m really pissed about no phones for practice rounds as that’s my main source of photography and I have a lens that can be attached to my phone for better quality pics. Are you allowed to take cigars/cigs in with you?

Yah you need a real camera

No idea on cigars as I’m a non smoker

• ValuableTrader

@Cooper08 said...

Man you need to learn more about the Masters….sorry but -20 will not happen….

The masters committee won’t allow it, they will purchase more land and make it longer

No player has ever shot four rounds in the 60’s

Only 13 players have started with three consecutive 60’s

Only 34 players have shot -12 or better

Just because you hit the ball long doesn’t mean you will succeed. You have to hit it long, be a great putter and exceptional around the green.

In order to go low day after day the green said need to be receptive. The greens at Augusta National are not receptive as you must hit exceptional shots to hold them. If it rains the sub air system will drain the water quickly making them only slightly more receptive.

Could it happen, possibly but I feel I have a better shot at a hockey player breaking Wayne Gretzky goal record or a mlb breaking Cal Ripken’s consecutive games played streak. Just in case you don’t follow those sports, those records will never be broken.

You missed my point. Just because they hit the ball far doesn’t mean they’ll win, no shit. I said these long hitters/new age players are starting to get experience at this course and I think experience here, and most would agree, is the #1 key to success, besides “Major championship luck”. I think this plays into the scoring record being broke within the next few years. Just my opinion.

Also, I’m pretty well versed on the Masters so you don’t need to educate me.

+ Wilt’s records

• manoffewwords

I can not believe I am saying this,but FD $1M contest seems to have advantages over DK milli maker. Sure top payout is $200k vs. $1M,but here are advantages. Better payout structure. DK 25% to first,FD 20%. Top ten DK 40% vs. 32% FD. Entry fee $20 DK vs. $15 FD. Get your entry fees back if Tiger wins,also keep your winnings? This way you could fade Tiger completely on FD and still make $ if he wins. Great Hedge. Please tell me if I am missing something? I may deposit $. I will need to refresh myself on scoring differences. Will be fun to do research for both since I will be entering other contests on DK . If I am wrong on above ,please advise before I jump.

• Cooper08

• Blogger of the Month

@chrissyfools said...

Are you allowed to take cigars/cigs in with you?

Yes, but in certain sitting areas you can’t. It will be marked with a no smoking sign. As you walk you can smoke, just remember the course is full of pine straw.

• monarch

I’m all over Kuchar but does anyone think his two recent on course issues will affect him in any way? He is such a crowd favorite

• mgravity

@BIF said...

The google doc link in the header post

Scroll Up

OK Thanks

• monarch

Also Fitz and Sneds are too cheap for me. Really like some Euros for value…Bjerregaard and my man Pepperell. Dude will be in 50th place on Sunday and somehow T15.

• monarch

CHIII also back home….finally qualified and I think he is like #2 SG this year.. sorry, I’m fired up!

• kdsdawg

@monarch said...

cro

he will still be a crowd favorite..that caddie incident won’t matter one bit in his home state (where he went to college)
    Sergio and he made up since that incident. Not to mention Sergio is not a fan favorite.
    I will be 100% on him.
    which means you should go underweight.

• NDNole

Fleetwood is checking just about every box for me. Which means he is going to miss the cut.

• NoLimits0

@monarch said...

I’m all over Kuchar but does anyone think his two recent on course issues will affect him in any way? He is such a crowd favorite

Hasn’t affected him at all so far. If anything shows his angry/aggressive side which makes him maybe break through for his 1st major.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.