THE BAT was recently named the MOST ACCURATE projection system in fantasy baseball, and it’s back at RotoGrinders for a fourth season!
If you’re not familiar with THE BAT, here’s what you need to know:
THE BAT was recently found to be the most accurate season-long projection system tested in studies conducted at FantasyPros, FanGraphs, and Big Board (excluding aggregate projections, which are just averages of other systems). I’ve developed THE BAT over the past nine years and 10,000+ hours, using skills and methods I’ve developed from my time in the sabermetric community working with some of the best baseball minds in the world, many of whom are now making decisions for Major League clubs (several for the World Champion Houston Astros). Skills and methods that help set THE BAT apart from your run-of-the-mill Vegas or wOBA model.
Vegas and wOBA are shortcuts, plain and simple, and any model that relies on them will give you results and lineups that are shortcuts and, therefore, suboptimal. THE BAT goes well beyond that, incorporating everything wOBA or Vegas can tell you but in a more complex way and with plenty of additional layers and features on top. And it works with RotoGrinders’ LineupHQ, helping you build your ideal lineups for both cash games and GPPs.
What Goes Into THE BAT?
While I was developing my system, the code name I used for it was BATMAN, named after a certain caped crusader who 1) Is awesome, like I intended my system to be, and 2) Uses all sorts of gadgets to get the job done, which is the perfect analogy for my system. As far as I can tell, THE BAT takes into account more factors and has more features than any other system out there. You can get more details here, but to list a few, every single day THE BAT considers:
• Opposing Hitter/Pitcher
• Weather (everything from temperature to air pressure)
• Catcher Throwing, Intimidation, and Framing
• Home Field Advantage
• Platoon Splits (Hitter/Pitcher/Park/Umpire/Catcher)
• Lineup Position
• Quality of Surrounding Lineup
• And more, explained further in THE BAT FAQ
And THE BAT doesn’t just take what a player has done at face value. This is actually one of the biggest mistakes most DFS players and models make, assuming that what a player has done this year represents his true talent level. But there’s a big difference between past performance and expected performance, and that’s why each one of these factors has its own underlying projection system so that THE BAT can have the best estimate of how well everyone and everything should perform going forward.
What’s New For 2019 in THE BAT?
In addition to the tried and true projections THE BAT has always had, a 2019 subscription gets you a lot of extras:
• Floor, Ceiling, and Percentile Projections: THE BAT now projects a range of outcomes for every player based on their own unique skillset. This can help identify both ‘safe’ and ‘high upside’ plays for GPP players.
• Podcasts: The past few years, THE BAT Podcast has been a separate subscription (it costs $125 for the 2018 season), but it comes completely FREE with all subscriptions to THE BAT in 2019. The semi-daily, 10-15 minute podcast gives my personal thoughts on the day’s slate (including why THE BAT likes/doesn’t like certain players, where I may disagree with THE BAT due to a scouting take, etc.)
• Discord Chat Room: A subscriber-only channel in the RotoGrinders Discord for THE BAT users to swap ideas and lineup suggestions. I hang out in here and answer questions a lot.
• Weekly Chat Session: A subscriber-only chat session once per week where you can ask me anything. I’m in the Discord chat room a lot to begin with, but I also set aside some time where I will absolutely be around for a full hour every week to answer questions.
• Video Archive: An archive of video lessons that explore important and often misunderstood DFS and sabermetric concepts that will give you a big edge on the competition
Simply head over to this page and follow the instructions! – If you have any questions, please post them here, hit me up on Twitter (@DerekCarty), or email (THEBAT@RotoGrinders.com) at anytime. I’m always happy to answer any questions you have about myself, THE BAT, or DFS in general.