PGA FORUM

Comments

• whodat2

When: June 3-6

Where: Dublin, Ohio

Course: Muirfield Village GC | A par 72 playing at 7392 yards.

Last Year’s Winner: John Rahm at -9

Last Year’s Cut: +3

Coverage: PGATourLive | Golf Channel | CBS

RG Golf Forum League

Happy Meal 2020 Standings

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – Golf strategy talk for this week’s contest. Post referring to last week’s contest will be moved to the correct thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..

• whodat2

Careful with course history this week as they have totally redone these greens and this course for that matter.

• JimKronlund

Thanks Whodat

• BIF

Such a great golf course – they can set this one up multiple ways – it can be as hard or as easy as they want to make it.

This is a good week to pay attention to players comments on the course setup in interviews to give you a sense who/what kind of player it might favor this week

• Felixxberg

• 2019 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

• 2019 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

Salaries out! It feels weird having Spieth at the top and needing to scroll a little to find JT!

• cplatt87

Hovland still under 10k. I will continue to ride him as long as DK continues to misprice him.

• timusbr

I wanted to start another conflict of interest about what type of contests to play.

please note IMHO is just that my opinion or thoughts at this time.

I like golf DFS and embrace the volatility of the sport. I think I am pretty good and also know that I lack knowledge of golf at a professional level. meaning I really have no idea how a guy can improve, how they got here, and many nuances of a pro golfer.

I always thought its possible to come up with good LU’s and god willing perhaps a winning LU.

Tiers is over a year old now. I am of the opinion that it is far easier to come up with the perfect LU in a Tiers contest, than in a classic contest. I have had 3 perfect LU’s in Tiers. 1 dime and 2 qtrs. 1 NFL and 2 golf.

I am debating on concentrating my $‘s on Tiers. I KNOW I will hit the perfect results 1 more time before the end of the year. LMAO, I am optimistic at worst.

Any comments??

• ifthethunder

@timusbr said...

I am debating on concentrating my $‘s on Tiers. I KNOW I will hit the perfect results 1 more time before the end of the year. LMAO, I am optimistic at worst.

Any comments??

You are probably right. I almost never think much about tiers, usually only make one or two lineups. If there are a lot of people out there like me, you could well have an edge. (Depending on what the usual suspects, aka sharks do.)

As for your Happy Meal, just put in my default lineup. Leaves 7,300 in celery on the table and I might just leaf it there.
    ~

• noddy

@timusbr said...

I wanted to start another conflict of interest about what type of contests to play.

please note IMHO is just that my opinion or thoughts at this time.

I like golf DFS and embrace the volatility of the sport. I think I am pretty good and also know that I lack knowledge of golf at a professional level. meaning I really have no idea how a guy can improve, how they got here, and many nuances of a pro golfer.

I always thought its possible to come up with good LU’s and god willing perhaps a winning LU.

Tiers is over a year old now. I am of the opinion that it is far easier to come up with the perfect LU in a Tiers contest, than in a classic contest. I have had 3 perfect LU’s in Tiers. 1 dime and 2 qtrs. 1 NFL and 2 golf.

Any comments??

Are there enough different lineups in Tiers? I think I’ve tried it a couple times and I don’t remember. I would not enjoy having the same lineup as many people, but maybe that’s not a problem?

• mitchsnyderdfw

@whodat2 said...

Careful with course history this week as they have totally redone these greens and this course for that matter.

Thanks for putting up the thread. As you always do. My Mondays would be lost without it

• mitchsnyderdfw

@timusbr said...

Any comments??

I have no access to a computer this week, so may give Tiers a try this week.

• Golf18

@whodat2 said...

Did they redo all the surfaces? Still bent? Or did they just remodel some sides of greens and add new bunkers?

• Felixxberg

• 2019 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

• 2019 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

What the hell happened to Hao-Tong Li? Wasn’t he legit?

• timusbr

@noddy said...

Are there enough different lineups in Tiers? I think I’ve tried it a couple times and I don’t remember. I would not enjoy having the same lineup as many people, but maybe that’s not a problem?

I think duplicates is a numbers game. In NFL where there are a gazillion LU’s in the contest. yes duplicates can be a problem. The player pool is smaller because its 30+ players and not 120/156 players.

In golf, I havnt had much of an issue with dups. my 2 qtr wins (perfect LU was duped once in 1 and I got solo in the other, so I did split 1st and 2nd on 1) [last weeks $1 short game winner was 10pts off the perfect LU, meaning 5 perfect picks and 1 off]

• whodat2

@Golf18 said...

Did they redo all the surfaces? Still bent? Or did they just remodel some sides of greens and added new bunkers?

Quoted:

A PDF was sent to players and caddies earlier this week outlining the changes to Muirfield Village Golf Club over the last 10 months. The renovation to the Nicklaus masterpiece was done to make the course more playable for the members. This story was first reported by Geoff Shackleford.

Founder Jack Nicklaus has described the course renovation as a desire to “make the golf course better, not necessarily harder”. Recent visits by the PGA TOUR’s Agronomy and Rules staff, confirm the changes are both dramatic to the eye, while substantially improving the playability of the golf course.

The summary below highlights the renovation details:

• Construction started July 20, with the last green sodded October 1.
    • All greens were reconstructed with new bentgrass, irrigation and Precision Air systems.
    • Most holes had the green complexes 100% recontoured and rebuilt with significant bunker modifications. Only greens on holes 12, 13, 14 and 17 resemble the old greens.
    • All tees were resurfaced. New professional tees were added on holes 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7, in addition to those already added on holes 8, 11, and 15 prior to the 2020 tournaments.

In total approximately 100 yards in length has been added to the course since July. (This could make the course play as long as ~7,500 yards

• All fairway & greenside bunkers were rebuilt. On holes 1, 15, & 17 the fairway bunker
    complexes were strategically repositioned.
    • All fairways were resurfaced, and additional drainage was installed on multiple fairways.
    • All green surrounds were resurfaced.
    • Hole #15 was rebuilt in entirety from tee to green with new fairway bunkers and
    extensive grade changes to the second and third shot landing zones.

• ifthethunder

@whodat2 said...

The renovation to the Nicklaus masterpiece was done to make the course more playable for the members. This story was first reported by Geoff Shackleford.

So the changes will make it easier for members to play the course. But with the new tees and added length, they can make it harder for the pros any day they choose to.

I lived in Columbus for some years, but never played Muirfield. (That I can remember.) Am I on base with my guess-ass-essment?
    ~

• timusbr

IMHO Tiers contests part 2

I work on Tiers after I have completed my classic LU’s, so after I have my player pool.

sometimes the individual tier’s work well with my player pool and sometimes not. When it doesnt it either has too many players in 1 tier group or none. Sometimes it works well where Its spread out across all tiers groups. This has been the characteristic of my better performances.

I highlight players I think can best the others. green if they are solo and orange if I have multiple. I try to keep it as close to 20 LU’s as possible.

its a simple calc
    1×1×1×1×1×1 = 1LU
    1×2×2×1×1×2 = 8LU’s

I have had as many as 4 in 1 tier but try to limit it to 2 per tier. I have ended with 24 and as small as 4. 16 seems like a median average, in which case I do a partial wheel for 4 more LU’s.

Also note.. You need the perfect LU to win in Gpp or near perfect. Last week I was close to the lead with Spieth and Sergio and Hoffman on Friday, until the cut. lost Knox in tier 6 to a MC, eliminating me from contention but not from making the cash line. because a guy like Kokrack or Spieth makes enough points to cover some flaws.

• BIF

@whodat2 said...

A PDF was sent to players and caddies earlier this week outlining the changes to Muirfield Village Golf Club over the last 10 months.

Good info – I remember them starting to rip up one of the greens on the front as the back nine was still being played by the leaders at last July’s (Covid-delayed) Memorial Tournament.

• Golf18

@whodat2 said...

Quoted:

A PDF was sent to players and caddies earlier this week outlining the changes to Muirfield Village Golf Club over the last 10 months. The renovation to the Nicklaus masterpiece was done to make the course more playable for the members. This story was first reported by Geoff Shackleford.

Founder Jack Nicklaus has described the course renovation as a desire to “make the golf course better, not necessarily harder”. Recent visits by the PGA TOUR’s Agronomy and Rules staff, confirm the changes are both dramatic to the eye, while substantially improving the playability of the golf course.

The summary below highlights the renovation details:

• Construction started July 20, with the last green sodded October 1.
    • All greens were reconstructed with new bentgrass, irrigation and Precision Air systems.
    • Most holes had the green complexes 100% recontoured and rebuilt with significant bunker modifications. Only greens on holes 12, 13, 14 and 17 resemble the old greens.
    • All tees were resurfaced. New professional tees were added on holes 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7, in addition to those already added on holes 8, 11, and 15 prior to the 2020 tournaments.

In total approximately 100 yards in length has been added to the course since July. (This could make the course play as long as ~7,500 yards

• All fairway & greenside bunkers were rebuilt. On holes 1, 15, & 17 the fairway bunker
    complexes were strategically repositioned.
    • All fairways were resurfaced, and additional drainage was installed on multiple fairways.
    • All green surrounds were resurfaced.
    • Hole #15 was rebuilt in entirety from tee to green with new fairway bunkers and
    extensive grade changes to the second and third shot landing zones.

Wonderful explanation.

• timusbr

@whodat2 said...

Quoted:

Many thanks whodat. I would not have even looked. So I think I am going to handicap this like a new course being played in a WGC event. meaning looking at the studs (past and current) and recent form/history

• Getty33

@timusbr said...

Many thanks whodat. I would not have even looked. So I think I am going to handicap this like a new course being played in a WGC event. meaning looking at the studs (past and current) and recent form/history

I’m not sure that drastic of an approach is necessary. This is from the course superintendent last summer :

The upcoming renovation is “really about the guts underneath the surface” of the course, LaRocca said. Improvements will be made to the bottom layers of the course and to mechanical elements like its heating and cooling systems. The design will largely stay the same.

“There might be some minor tweaks but it will still be the golf course everyone knows today,” LaRocca said.

• timusbr

@Getty33 said...

I’m not sure that drastic of an approach is necessary. This is from the course superintendent last summer :

The upcoming renovation is “really about the guts underneath the surface” of the course, LaRocca said. Improvements will be made to the bottom layers of the course and to mechanical elements like its heating and cooling systems. The design will largely stay the same.

“There might be some minor tweaks but it will still be the golf course everyone knows today,” LaRocca said.

possibly, but I draw attention to this

Most holes had the green complexes 100% recontoured and rebuilt with significant bunker modifications.

100% recontoured being the key in my mind. I get it it could be my wild imagination thinking the worst, I couldnt tell you what they looked like before or now. I bet some here could note the differences upon seeing the course. I also think…its the memorial, its Jacks house, they want it to be a showcase and a test. They made it more playable for the members…but they can still make it tough on the Pro’s the week of. all the greens change shape size which means hole locations are not traditional. its a new course IMHO.

EDIT: Also I want to point out the back to back weeks here last year in covid restart. the course played different in back to back weeks. That surprised the hell out of me. made me rethink course history. lol, maybe we should get a listing of all the head greenskeepers and follow them on twitter.

• timusbr

the Happy Meal cup standings after wk38 Charles Schwab.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AiKGps2bl5SRomwyKWZ42VcUFFs6

In case the long PGA seasons just runs together for you. we are 14 weeks away from the end of the season. After this week thats 75% done. 25% to go. 1 of those is Olympic week and last 3 are the Fed Ex playoffs.

• titanhawks

I’m hosting the Beat the Forum Sweepstakes give-a-way this week so H2H’s are up in the League now

I’m still using course history this week except for last years Memorial because they just let it go to hell after the Workday tourney the week before although I might give an asterisk to the nine who managed to finish under par for the week

It won’t matter how much the greens are re-contoured since they spend so much time reading them no matter how much or little they are familiar with them anyhow

• JimKronlund

PGA TOUR
    @PGATOUR
    ·
    8m
    Muirfield Village changes over the last 11 months:

- Lengthened 153 yards – All bunkers modified – 7 greens moved – Significant contour changes in 12 greens – Narrowed fairways – All tees, fairways and greens reconstructed with Bentgrass, irrigation and precision air systems

• titanhawks

I went 40 LU’s in the Mini-Max last week with 4 6/6 and 30 5/6 and ended up cashing five for $5.50 on $20 entered ugh

Going back to 20max maxing the Short Game and Quarter Arcade/Jukebox this week

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).