PGA FORUM

Comments

• whodat2

When: March 14-17

Where: Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

Course: TPC Sawgrass – A par 72 playing at 7189 yards.

Last Year’s Winner: Web Simpson at -18

Last Year’s Cut: -1

Coverage: PGATourLive | Golf Channel | NBC

Google Doc

RG Golf Forum League

Happy Meal Standings

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – Golf strategy talk for this week’s contest. Post referring to last week’s contest will be moved to the correct thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..

• BrowInLockerRoom

Hard to find anyone with good course history.

Missed cut risk so high for everyone.

• Kp24

@BrowInLockerRoom said...

Hard to find anyone with good course history.

Missed cut risk so high for everyone.

Only 2 years of course history but I’ve been pretty high on Cantlay for a while and can see him winning a big one this year.

This would qualify as a big one.

• flip4flop

First look really high on Stenson and Casey. Alot of data to go through

• stevietpfl

Morning Grind co-host, Lead NASCAR Analyst

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #74

RG Tiered Ranking

• 2015 FanDuel MLB Playboy Mansion Finalist

• 2015 FAWBC Finalist

I’ll be there Wednesday and Thursday if anyone is going.

• MrSnuffleupagus

Can’t wait to see what the prize pools will be.

• BIF

@MrSnuffleupagus said...

Can’t wait to see what the prize pools will be.

Huh ? What prize pools ?

The big Contests and salaries have been out for a couple days

• MrSnuffleupagus

@BIF said...

Huh ? What prize pools ?

The big Contests and salaries have been out for a couple days

Oh I’m talking for the little ones lol

• WidumBoise

What did Trae Halifax due to Eric Garner a minimum thalary?

• WidumBoise

@MrSnuffleupagus said...

Oh I’m talking for the little ones lol

• superstars92

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #63

RG Tiered Ranking

One of the best posts of last week was someone asking “should I choose RCB, Matt Wallace, or Matthew Fitzpatrick.”

The sick part about that post is IF you choose ALL 3, as well as stuck to the Euro theme and chosen a few more Euro players with those 3, you would have had the nuts.

The amazing thing was RCB, Wallace, and Fitzpatrick were all great picks…it wasn’t one of the 3 you had to choose from, it was choose all 3.

• superstars92

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #63

RG Tiered Ranking

Man Matthew Fitzpatrick is so frustrating. First of all, I totally admit he was a great pick last week, and I was wrong about not choosing him. In fact, he was like the same price as Hao Tong Li, so if I swapped Li for him on my best GPP teams with Li, I woulda done better.

But the thing that really frustrates me about him is he made only 14 birdies and got 2nd at -10!!!

To put that in context, Bryson Dechambeau made 17 birdies and 1 eagle and finished T49 at E.

Beau Hossler made 14 birides (same as Fitzpatrick) and finished T58 at +4, 14 strokes behind Fitzpatrick with the same number of birdies.

In fact, pretty much every single player in the top 15 had more birdies than Fitzpatrick.

So here is my question: he is only 6.9k at the Players, a course that’s a lot about bogey avoidance. Despite the fact he isn’t an amazing birdie maker, but he is an absolute amazing bogey avoider, is he worth playing at the Players simply for placement purposes?

• Kp24

Superstars92, you and I had a small discussion about Bill Haas and Fitzpatrick being correlated and maybe you were right but I was kinda right too. He does make a fair amount of pars. But I was telling another guy on here, there is a mercurial side to his game, the kid can play. He wasn’t intimidated today, he simply got ran down by Moli who quite honestly, had a lot to his way. An ace on Thurs, he holed out from the rough and sunk a 45 ft bomb on 18. Molinari played fantastic but I feel for Fitz, that one really was his.

As to your question, idk how much today took out of him. But I think his game suits the course, bogey avoidance, fairways hit, GIR. I don’t know if I am gonna go to the well twice, but I think more people will keep an eye on Fitz than they had in the past. At $6900, I think he does represent some value.

• superstars92

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #63

RG Tiered Ranking

@kp24: Oh you are completely right. I actually made a huge mistake this week as I did not understand the course correctly. I thought Bay Hill wasn’t really about avoiding bogeys, but that was a HUGE part of the course. I think Bryson for example played the under par holes good enough to easily top 10, but he just screwed up so many other holes that resulted in bogey/double. If I understood the course better, I actually would have chosen Fitzpatrick, but sadly, I choose Hao Tong Li, who you know was great at making bogey/double since every other shot went into the water it seems like.

I agree Fitzpatrick definitely has the mental fortitude to compete. He’s won 5 times on the Euro Tour, which is pretty impressive for his age. Again, I did not want to make it seem like I was dissing Fitzpatrick’s game. He’s a great young player, totally agree with you there, I was just saying it’s a bit frustrating for DFS is all. Like I said, the most annoying thing was he had as many birdies as Beau Hossler (+4) and fewer birdies than every other single player in the top 15, but he still got 2nd. But it’s also important to note Rafa Cabrera Bello had more fantasy points than him as a result (this is somewhat relevant since we are talking about DFS).

Since I know the Players’ is actually about avoiding bogeys going into it (obviously that doesn’t mean making birdies is not improtant, I’m just putting more emphasis on bogey avoidance), I was just thinking if this relatively shorter course with lots of bogey holes suits Fitzpatrick’s game, or is it not worth it since he still doesn’t make that many birdies? I’m just concerned if he doesn’t place high, he won’t have many DFS points that’s all. And punts are important here because you can load up on multiple top stars with another relative star 8k player or 1 top star and multiple 8k players and you need that 6.9k guy to fill out.

• superstars92

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #63

RG Tiered Ranking

Besides the sub 7k talk, I’m interested in what Molinari’s ownership will be, relative to someone like Webb Simpson, the defending champion. Molinari always has a negative stigma about him because his putting, but he putted amazingly today, and he’s been amazing this past year. Molinari also has an absolute elite course history here, aside from last year.

• mtdurham

@superstars92 said...

One of the best posts of last week was someone asking “should I choose RCB, Matt Wallace, or Matthew Fitzpatrick.”

The sick part about that post is IF you choose ALL 3, as well as stuck to the Euro theme and chosen a few more Euro players with those 3, you would have had the nuts.

The amazing thing was RCB, Wallace, and Fitzpatrick were all great picks…it wasn’t one of the 3 you had to choose from, it was choose all 3.

I was 50% RCB and 50% Wallace. That is ALL I got right this week as I had the dreaded $90 entries and $0 won (-$190 if you count my heads up match) for the -100% ROI.

I had a LOT of champ, koepka, day, H2Otong-Li, and Every. And some harry vanes… although i knew he was a bad pick but I refuse to be off him.

So let’s fire up some course info for this week…

Man it looks weird seeing some names priced so low this week

• Kp24

@superstars92 said...

Besides the sub 7k talk, I’m interested in what Molinari’s ownership will be, relative to someone like Webb Simpson, the defending champion. Molinari always has a negative stigma about him because his putting, but he putted amazingly today, and he’s been amazing this past year. Molinari also has an absolute elite course history here, aside from last year.

I think ownership and roster construction will be absolutely vital this week. There is so many ways you can go this week and absolutely love your lineup. Stats and scrubs looks great cuz your scrubs are still Vegas and Steele.
    Balanced looks great cuz you can start at Koepka and fit in Leishman as your lowest guy.

When you bring up Fitz’ dfs scoring, it is a concern. He worked well this week with his placement points but I’m unsure that will suit him at TPC.
    I really have not thought of my strategy yet. So much to break down before Thurs

• ButBongoFiesta

I want to play Lucas Glover this week but I’m worried he’s gonna have flashbacks of his wife kicking his ass which will negatively affect his play. Quite the dilemma.

• Pbasniper

Every player I look at ‘Oh he’s cheap, he’s cheap, he’s cheap.’ Should be fun to narrow this down.

• Cooper08

• Blogger of the Month

@superstars92 said...

I had Wallace and Fitzpatrick but no RCB. I had Fleetwood to but no Molinari. I ended up slightly down for the week. Koepka killed me along with the bogeys from Fowler at the end of round four.

• kps3205s

The interesting thing this year for me is March vs May date.

Usually a lot hotter up here leading into it in the past vs this year. Weather will be 80’s Thurs and Friday with mid 60’s Sat and Sunday with rain Sat and possibly Sunday.

Not a grass guy but interesting article regarding the overseeding process done in the fall:

https://www.theplayers.com/news/2018/11/20/overseed-process-underway-at-tpc-sawgrass.html

• Quadhole

@superstars92 said...

Since I know the Players’ is actually about avoiding bogeys going into it (obviously that doesn’t mean making birdies is not improtant, I’m just putting more emphasis on bogey avoidance),

Obviously you have done really well at Golf DFS, so I am writing this just as a “what if” It is not May 10th here in Florida, it is of course 2 months earlier and this means a lot for the Grass here. I would guess, and just a guess, without that punishing rough these guys are licking their chops. This should be more like a 200 yard shorter Arnold Palmer when it comes to the course (score wise).

Nothing will happen like it should.

Four kinds of seed were spread throughout the entire Stadium Course, including the practice grounds: Rye/Fine Fescue on the fairways and rough; Velvet Bent/Poa Trivialis on the greens.
    · Signs of germination occurred five days after the initial seeding.
    · The agronomy team will transition the grass back to Bermuda at the end of May.

• ValuableTrader

THE PLAYERS

• mitchsnyderdfw

@kps3205s said...

The interesting thing this year for me is March vs May date.

Usually a lot hotter up here leading into it in the past vs this year. Weather will be 80’s Thurs and Friday with mid 60’s Sat and Sunday with rain Sat and possibly Sunday.

Not a grass guy but interesting article regarding the overseeding process done in the fall:

https://www.theplayers.com/news/2018/11/20/overseed-process-underway-at-tpc-sawgrass.html

I think it’s worth noting that Phil tweeted about there being very little rough. Which I think will play to his game, especially after his tee shots last week.

https://twitter.com/PhilMickelson/status/1104843403668291584

• jstevens2k11

Wow this sets up so easily for a stars/scrubs week, that sub 7.5k player pool is JUICY. Time to have some fun and go balanced in GPPs lol

• Pbasniper

How much Jason Day is too much Jason Day at what should be pretty low ownership?

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

Bet with your head, not over it!
Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-Gambler