INDUSTRY FORUM

Comments

• alsmizzle

• 2013 RotoGrinders TPOY Champion

• $1M Prize Winner

I was talking to some friends the other day about how much has happened in the past four years since I got into DFS and it’s crazy that we’re actually reaching a point where we’re getting enough of a sample to see some statistical categories arise, if only for the sake of discussion. The bottom line will ALWAYS be the bottom line and cash will always be king, but we’ve reached a point where we now have four TPOY winners, enough contests with a million dollar first prize that just having one doesn’t totally separate a player anymore as there are only two players who have won multiple seven figure first prizes (RayofHope & cheeseisgood). Counting live finals appearances across sports is akin to making final tables in poker. Winning six figure GPP prizes multiple times in a sport or winning them across multiple sports is another separate category. Much like LABR and ToutWars the DFS industry has it’s own competitions spring up like the FantasyPros accuracy challenge, StarStreet Elite as well as many others. RG has come up with the trophies page on players profile pages, and while they don’t reflect everything just yet, it’s pretty cool to look at the pages of people I’ve met over the past few years and in one place find all their accomplishments in DFS.

There’s so many different ways now that we can come up with lists and categories to put players on because of the growth of the industry that I find very interesting. I’m sure I’ll get a “cool story bro” response or three, but just something I was thinking about over the weekend.

• skeeter1114

• Blogger of the Month

I remember being able to stack 6 players from a team (whose prices didn’t adjust) when they played at Coors Field on FanDuel. And, how could we forget about the FD chat.

• mlbsyndicate

Ranked Top 25: Overall, 2012 DFBC Finalist, 11th in 2010 WSOP, 19th in 2012 WSOP

• 2015 DraftKings FFWC Finalist

• 2016 DraftKings FBBWC Finalist

I remember winning MLB gpp’s

The good ol’ days!

• thenatural91

It was more fun to me then..you didn’t have to research to the point that it felt like a 2nd job to have a chance..With a family it makes it tough to enjoy. I still have fun, but miss “the old days”.

• OneShotKill17

I remember the first time my friend and I decided to give it a shot, I had been hearing about DK on he radio and thought it sounded fun. So we got together with some drinks, grabbed a white board and created our list of players (NFL)…strictly based on DvP. We were pumped at the shot to win 5k or 10k, granted we lost every week, but it was a fun time. He slowly gave up and went back to season long as I found RG, learned why trying to fit every stud didn’t work, and tried to progress. It has been a fun 3.5 years, lots of trial and error, some nice wins…plenty of losses too…but the process is still fun. Trying to get better is still fun.

• alsmizzle

• 2013 RotoGrinders TPOY Champion

• $1M Prize Winner

@skeeter1114 said...

I remember being able to stack 6 players from a team

I remember being able to stack EIGHT players from a team.

One time in 2012, there was a 5 way tie for a Q (Rath and Beermakersfan were two of those in the 5 way tie) and they had to play a 5 man, winner take all the next week for the seat. Can’t remember the pitcher they all used but all five of them stacked the Blue Jays 1-8 hitters.

• jimfred82

• Blogger of the Month

Things I remember:

1. FD chat when it was actually friendly (minus the “LeBron scratched!” three mins before tipoff crap)

2. The “Oh Sh!!” feeling when your random $1 H2H (or probably $5 since $1 games weren’t a thing yet) was matched against Condia

3. The FD price cap! Remember when it was only 9900? I believe it was actually Peyton Manning that was the first to break that mold, but I could be wrong…

4. Daily Joust :(

5. Making your lineups based on what you felt was right as, other than injuries, there just wasn’t a lot of info available.

• esnyd10987

Things I remember:

- Realizing very quickly that there was nobody I hated playing against more than the DraftStreet version of Ganondorf (ImpulsiveAccordion)

- Sitting directly behind Al Smizzle and CSURAM at one of the winter FSTA conferences in Vegas (the one Star Fantasy League was the lead sponsor for) and being in complete awe that these guys in front of me were winning literally tens of thousands of dollars playing daily fantasy sports. I don’t think their 2012 grinder points rankings would even break the top 500 in 2015 due to the crazy growth in tournament sizes. I was a huge pussy that weekend and at no point introduced myself to either…..big regret.

- “McJestering”. Not to say that he doesn’t do it anymore these days, but a few years ago when he took the top 3 spots down in the playboy mansion tournament, that was outrageous and aside from some of these MaxDalury outbursts, I really haven’t seen anyone do anything like that since.

• Stewburtx8

• 2012 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

$10 live final qualifiers with less than 2000 entries

Rudzia555/Ohmsy

• jimfred82

• Blogger of the Month

@Stewburtx8 said...

$10 live final qualifiers with less than 2000 entries

Rudzia555/Ohmsy

remember the ohmsy ban? I think he wrote a blog about it on here, too.

• emac

The DailyJoust (#NeverForget) chat being almost like a message board there was such little activity on it during off hours.

Going to the first RotoGrinders party and meeting everyone who was just as crazy about sports as I was…everyone trying to remember names, then giving up and just referring to each other as their screen names.

The “edge” that was available if you knew which MLB teams platooned hitters since there really were no consolidated places to find consistent confirmed lineup information (remember, this was pre Twitter being used by EVERYONE).

Ahhhh, the simpler times and how we love to romanticize them!

EMac

• jcrebs

I play NBA and NFL .Have done ok over the years in NFL, NBA, not so much, although early on I did better in NBA. My NBA slide imho is due to my not being tech savvy, but competing against those who are. Knowing the game, keeping up with player news, match ups. etc is not enough any more for me to win consistently but, I’ll keep plugging away, because I enjoy it. I have switched to single entry and max 3 entry contests, this might help .I am one of the oldest DFS’ers, will be 72 soon, so I am not going to learn any new tech tricks at this point. I have been playing salary cap for about 20 years, started with Smallworld, then TSN, and after they shut down the season long games, played at Fireleague for a couple of years, then found DS in about 2011.. It seems that the diminishment of season long salary cap games led to the birth of DFS, Fireleague even had some single day games mixed in from time to time, but they were more gimmicky games, who hits the most homeruns on a given day, etc.. Does anyone know who was the originator of DFS, and when was the actual start?

• mrpata

I remember ESPN.com having daily salary cap games such as “Baseball Challenge” and “NBA Fast Break Challenge”, but like a lot of early sports sites, they missed the boat on playing for cash and the only thing you could win was if you had the best overall score at the end of the season.

Fond memories of running Steve Francis in his prime and rostering a young Hunter Pence during his rise with the Astros.

• tvsfrink

@mrpata said...

I remember ESPN.com having daily salary cap games such as “Baseball Challenge” and “NBA Fast Break Challenge”

I played every single one of those back in the day, no matter how little I knew about the sport. Golf, NASCAR, even Fishing and WNBA for some reason. There was a point in my life where I actually knew most of the players in the WNBA, without ever having watched a single minute.

• Stewburtx8

• 2012 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

@jimfred82 said...

remember the ohmsy ban? I think he wrote a blog about it on here, too.

Yep. When he found a way to change the number sequence in the website address on Fanduel so he could enter private games.

I will always remember them though because they flooded the lobby even before Condia completely flooded the lobby. I did learn a lot about DFS (especially NBA) by playing $5-10 games every night against them and studying their lineups. Now I barely play NBA, but it was fun at the time.

• Dleepi01

I remembered how i admired a guy named DandyDon on DK for his excellent baseball lineups. Then I found out that he was Lovesbases on FD and it all made sense.

• JDub07

I remember on DraftDay where you could leave a position open on baseball. So instead of having a 10k player and minimum price 4k player. You could just get an elite 14k player and leave a blank spot in roster.

I also remember starting out a DraftDay when a new pitcher wasn’t added to player pool you could add him by bringing up one of the hitters profiles he was facing and work around to get the pitcher in. I remember this specifically with Dan Straily when he was called up,

• walkoff9

RG Overall Ranking

Whp else got onto dfs because offshore betting became too much of a hassel and potential risk?

• ckamins87

• 2016 DraftKings FBWC Finalist

• 2016 FanDuel WFBBC Finalist

i miss fanduel chat and don’t think I’ll ever agree with any reasoning for it not to be an option since it could be minimized lol. RG chat though has been a solid replacement.

• DCoop328

@JDub07 said...

I remember on DraftDay where you could leave a position open on baseball. So instead of having a 10k player and minimum price 4k player. You could just get an elite 14k player and leave a blank spot in roster.

I also remember starting out a DraftDay when a new pitcher wasn’t added to player pool you could add him by bringing up one of the hitters profiles he was facing and work around to get the pitcher in. I remember this specifically with Dan Straily when he was called up,

Do you remember playing Greg Ward Jr. as a 4.5K PUNT WR when he started as QB for Houston?

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).