PGA FORUM

Comments

• whodat2

When: August 22-25

Where: Atlanta, Georgia

Course: East Lake GC | A par 70 playing at 7385 yards

This is a NO CUT event, featuring the top 30 players in the FedEx standings.

Coverage: PGATourLive | Golf Channel | NBC

Google Doc

RG Golf Forum League

Happy Meal Standings

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – Golf strategy talk for this week’s contest. Post referring to last week’s contest will be moved to the correct thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..

• whodat2

• Kassdog

Only being 30 players there will be a 10,000 way for for first.

• baseballislife93

@Kassdog said...

Only being 30 players there will be a 10,000 way for for first.

They should put like a 2× 1.5× 1.25x slots with 3 regular flex spots

• jtgus

Is DK going to start with JT at -10, Cantlay at -8, and so on?

• Cardboardwarrior

It’s the normal classic format with salaries priced based on starting position(salaries are out btw)

• MattLiv1212

@jtgus2005 said...

Is DK going to start with JT at -10, Cantlay at -8, and so on?

Yes. For position finishing points they are. And they have a warning to that effect. You can still jam JT and Cantlay in a LU and I expect that build with any mix of 5K guys will be massively duped

• Mikeybaywatch

Salaries already out.

JT $15,500

• Felixxberg

I normally play balanced lineups in strong field contests, but I think I’ll play something wild this week.

• BIF

Not sure anyone mentioned this but it seems Adam Scott is tired of the birdie-fests like me

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/scott-tees-off-push-over-golf-courses-224223128—spt.html

• BIF

@Felixxberg said...

I normally play balanced lineups in strong field contests, but I think I’ll play something wild this week.

Only playing 2 lineups this week

Going to throw one lineup in the $555 plus a couple smaller GPPs

The other I’m throwing in the $200 single entry, $44 and a couple smaller ones

Then it’s NFL time for me – won 5 Milly tickets this weekend and I may chase a few more this week.

• mtdurham

this is literally going to be the worst DFS event ever. The small field is bad enough, but the fact that everyone is starting off with positional points makes it play like sunday showdown.

• starstx

@BIF said...

Not sure anyone mentioned this but it seems Adam Scott is tired of the birdie-fests like me

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/scott-tees-off-push-over-golf-courses-224223128—spt.html

So what exactly are some things they could do to change this. His suggestion is to have less … straight driving holes where you have to draw it to get it in the fairway it looks like. If technology has made an over reliance on the driver which has become more forgiving so everyone just bombs away could we see more narrow fairways or thicker rough or both. Maybe all the greens can start being 20 ft high with a moat and castle walls around them lol … one thing is for sure … when there have been soft conditions these guys really do seem to tear up any course.

• Jgarver345

I don’t know if I like them taking away a Win for winning the Tour Championship now. I get that it’s only a 30 man field, but it is best of the best (mostly). They could have kept it seperate with the Fed Ex Cup board right next to it. The OWGR is going to award points by real score and not the Fed Ex Cup score so I guess it’s low gross in their eyes…which means there could be a 3 way tie and they’ll chop it up accordingly. Good thing they didn’t do it last year or we would have been deprived of that great fan reaction when Tiger won. That was incredible!!

• Guizzy

I think courses should be designed so if a player wants to hammer them wildly off the tee, theres a serious punishment if it’s not straight. Hazards need to be more numerous, water, deep bunkers that essentially are a hazard forcing a kick out, horrible rough etc.

Make the miss tougher the further they want to bomb it, 300-310+ for example you can apply this too ^.

Give them a decision off the tee, go for accuracy and lay back where a miss isn’t as penalized or go for the big hit and take the risk if you can’t keep it straight.

Something along those lines would be really good in my opinion, much more interesting and fun to watch. Too much bomb and gauging going on at the moment turning half the tournaments into putting contests.

• JoeySpruce

@Guizzy said...

I think courses should be designed so if a player wants to hammer them wildly off the tee, theres a serious punishment if it’s not straight. Hazards need to be more numerous, water, deep bunkers that essentially are a hazard forcing a kick out, horrible rough etc.

Make the miss tougher the further they want to bomb it, 300-310+ for example you can apply this too ^.

Give them a decision off the tee, go for accuracy and lay back where a miss isn’t as penalized or go for the big hit and take the risk if you can’t keep it straight.

Something along those lines would be really good in my opinion, much more interesting and fun to watch. Too much bomb and gauging going on at the moment turning half the tournaments into putting contests.

How could anyone economically make these changes for the game of golf? Redesigning courses for the 0.001% of golfers (I.e. tour pros) is not the solution. We either accept birdie fest type scoring, or simply adjust the par for each course. Get rid of the 510-570 par 5s that everyone on tour can reach in 2; those should be par 4s. Move up the drivable par 4s slightly to make them 250-275 yard par 3s. Everyone seems so stuck on a course having to be par 70-72; changing many of the tour rota courses to par 67-69 would solve the “birdie fest” convo without having to move any dirt or make the game even harder for the average amateur hack.

• BrianVT

@JoeySpruce said...

How could anyone economically make these changes for the game of golf? Redesigning courses for the 0.001% of golfers (I.e. tour pros) is not the solution. We either accept birdie fest type scoring, or simply adjust the par for each course. Get rid of the 510-570 par 5s that everyone on tour can reach in 2; those should be par 4s. Move up the drivable par 4s slightly to make them 250-275 yard par 3s. Everyone seems so stuck on a course having to be par 70-72; changing many of the tour rota courses to par 67-69 would solve the “birdie fest” convo without having to move any dirt or make the game even harder for the average amateur hack.

I agree with this and we had a discussion about in here about it a month or so ago. If the desire is for less birdiefests, then just change the par. Also means the P4 and P5 stats that we use are pretty useless, as there’s no distinction between the ones that play like their true par and those that don’t.

• Pbasniper

@mtdurham said...

this is literally going to be the worst DFS event ever. The small field is bad enough, but the fact that everyone is starting off with positional points makes it play like sunday showdown.

You’re wrong.

• hautalak

I’m feeling like this is crazy but could really pay off… 100% DJ & Scott anybody?! I might not go “all in” but will like have 75% of each at those price points. I feel so many will play the “positional points” game and lose out on the scoring. What are peoples’ thoughts on this?

• BrianVT

@hautalak said...

I’m feeling like this is crazy but could really pay off… 100% DJ & Scott anybody?! I might not go “all in” but will like have 75% of each at those price points. I feel so many will play the “positional points” game and lose out on the scoring. What are peoples’ thoughts on this?

I think a good analysis (which of course I won’t be doing) would take a look at what positions people normally play in Sunday showdown lineups, and how successful/important each starting position vs. finishing position ends up being in the lineups that cash. I personally haven’t figured out the best strategy for Sunday showdowns and have played with a lot of both, although my lineups with JT yesterday seemed to do the best. Over 4 days, though, maybe this a useless comparison, but I think if you’re trying to figure out what your competitors will do, might be worth looking at.

• ccchalfant

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2019/08/18/how-it-works-tour-championship-fedexcup-playoffs.html

Here is the layout of how each player will start

• hautalak

@BrianVT said...

I think a good analysis (which of course I won’t be doing) would take a look at what positions people normally play in Sunday showdown lineups, and how successful/important each starting position vs. finishing position ends up being in the lineups that cash. I personally haven’t figured out the best strategy for Sunday showdowns and have played with a lot of both, although my lineups with JT yesterday seemed to do the best. Over 4 days, though, maybe this a useless comparison, but I think if you’re trying to figure out what your competitors will do, might be worth looking at.

Yeah it’ll be more of a puzzle here. The thing with Sunday showdown normally is we see “bums” near that top of the leaderboard that falter on Sunday. I don’t see as much of that here. What I do see is some of the players further back taking a lot more risks than anybody else so we might see more birdies/eagles from them but the possibility of bogeys or worse. I will say I kind of “like” how pricing is done because a lineup I made already had $800 left because I didn’t take the “highest available” final piece. Yes, there will still be a lot of dups but it does seem there will be quite a bit of differentiation. I’m probably going to get steamrolled but I’m actually looking forward to this event. Also it’s the last “meaningful” one for a while so why not.

• Money0227

The guy that jumps out at me (at first glance) is Rose at $6900. 6 straight top 10’s at East Lake.

• hautalak

@Money0227 said...

The guy that jumps out at me (at first glance) is Rose at $6900. 6 straight top 10’s at East Lake.

Yep he was in my first build and will make the cut in a lot of them. I kind of like the “balanced” route but it feels like that has the potential to leave a lot of finishing points on the table. I’ll keep checking in for what people think the “optimal” strategy will be.

• kps3205s

Some numbers I added up this morning…..

Since 2010 only 3 players have shot all 4 rounds under par Koepka (2017), Schaufele (2017) and Snedeker (2013)

Since 2010 these are all of the players and the number of times they shot all 4 rounds of par or better…#of times/# of tournaments:

JT (2/3), Snedeker (1/5), Simpson (1/6), Schaufele (2/2), Rose (1/8), Rahm ½, Rory (1/5), Koepka (1/3), Kisner (1/3), DJ (2/9), Fleetwood (1/1), Casey (1/5)

So since 2010 among the 30 playing there is a total of 108 tournaments among them. Only 3 times has a player once shot all 4 rounds under par and only 15 times a player has shot par or better in all 4 rounds.

Will it help me??? Probably not but it’s slow this morning and I’m working remotely and they say sharing is caring.

• johnnyjakes

Rose and DJ, and guys who have the ability to gain strokes on the field, since Finishing Position is important. I think that JT is a fade at his price, because in theory, anyone can make up strokes on the field over 4 days. I would bet the field over JT winning. I think Cantlay is where you start, being he’s only 2 shots back to begin, and move from there. Guys who can shoot 66 or better (Fowler, Hideki, DJ) in multiple rounds have great value. Even Snedeker.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

Bet with your head, not over it!
Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-Gambler