PGA FORUM

Comments

• BIF

Here is some info from PGATour.com on the next event

COURSE: TPC River Highlands, 6,841 yards, par 70. River Highlands is actually the third layout on this bluff overlooking the Connecticut River, where the game has been played since 1928. Pete Dye gave the site a complete renovation when he arrived in 1982, and Bobby Weed added an upgrade seven years later in consultation with former PGA TOUR pros Howard Twitty and Roger Maltbie. Nos. 15-17 play around a four-acre lake, helping create a finish considered among the most exciting on TOUR. Peter Jacobsen triumphed when the Greater Hartford Open relocated there in 1984, then turned back the clock 19 years later to win it again.

FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 500 points.

CHARITY: New England Charities, which has given more than $33 million to various organizations since its formation in 1952. This year’s list tops 180 charities, including the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp, The First Tee of Connecticut, Yale New Haven Children’s Hospital and the Mark Twain Museum.

FIELD WATCH: World No. 6 Bubba Watson and Paul Casey, last year’s playoff combatants, head a roster that features 12 of the top 30 in the Official World Golf Rankings. … No. 12 Branden Grace, No. 14 Patrick Reed and No. 15 Louis Oosthuizen also help create a strong top of the lineup. … Jon Rahm, whose share of second at the RBC Canadian Open clinched special temporary status for the rest of the season, is among four freshly minted pros in the field. He’s joined by recent collegians Lee McCoy (Georgia), Robby Shelton (Alabama) and Jordan Niebrugge (Oklahoma State). … Also playing on special temporary status is Bryson DeChambeau, who tied for fourth in his pro debut at the RBC Heritage.

• 72-HOLE RECORD: 258, Kenny Perry (2009).

• 18-HOLE RECORD: 60, Tommy Bolt (2nd round, 1954 at Wethersfield CC), Patrick Cantlay (2nd round, 2011).

LAST YEAR: Watson staved off a fast-closing Casey for his eighth PGA TOUR win, though he needed to go two playoff holes to accomplish it. Watson held a three-shot advantage with five holes left, but a bogey at River Highlands’ 17th hole opened the door when Casey birdied three of his last five to finish off a 65. After both parred the first playoff hole, Casey stumbled on the third play at No.18 when his third shot from a greenside bunker flew the green and landed on a cart path. Watson’s wedge from 160 yards came to rest 8 feet from the hole, setting up the clinching birdie. The victory improved Watson’s record to 5-1 in playoffs, including a three-way playoff at the 2010 Travelers for his first TOUR trimph.

STORYLINES: Six of the past 10 Travelers winners have made it their first, including four in a row from Watson’s 2010 triumph to Ken Duke in 2013. … River Highlands will feature 56 players who teed it up at Baltusrol for this week’s PGA Championship. With the Travelers in its usual post-U.S. Open slot, three of its past six winners did not play the major a week earlier. … Six players are set to go from River Highlands to Rio de Janeiro for the Olympic Tournament, including three-fourths of the U.S. team: Watson, Reed and Matt Kuchar.

SHORT CHIPS: Just four New Englanders have won in Hartford, though two came back-to-back in 2005 (Brad Faxon) and 2006 (J.J. Henry). The others are Paul Azinger (1987, ’89) and Bob Toski (1953) … In the tournament’s 63-year history, only Phil Mickelson (2001-02) has managed to win it back-to-back. … Actor Kevin Nealon and and ESPN’s Chris Berman top the marquee for the Wednesday celebrity pro-am. That lineup also includes former Heisman Trophy winner Doug Flutie, two-time NBA champion Ray Allen and former UConn basketball coach Jim Calhoun.

TELEVISION:Thursday-Friday, 3-6 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday-Sunday, 1-2:30 p.m. (GC), 3-6 p.m. (CBS).

PGA TOUR LIVE: Thursday-Friday, 7 a.m.-3 p.m. (featured groups), 3-6 p.m. (featured holes). Saturday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. (featured holes).

• smallANDflaccid

@flip4flop said...

Anyone like Henrik Norlander this week? Seems to be in good form, has not missed a cut since May 24th, great accuracy and scrambling recently and not bad in par 4 scoring.

Like him as in “top 10 or top 20” or as in “will make the cut”?

I have him as making the cut and being higher than his salary ranks him (better value).

• smallANDflaccid

I like the term ball-striker, because I ran the numbers, and the guys who don’t hit the ball and just stand there whiffing… they tend to score worse. Can’t argue with math.

Also can’t argue that I don’t fully understand what ball-striking means, other than in the case of a date going poorly.

• BIF

@Cdogbuck said...

His ball striking has been average for several years. This year his putting is what has gained him the most strokes.

SG Approach the Green
    2016: 70th
    2015: 133rd
    2014: 85th
    2013: 140th

On my dick again Cdog…..you must really love my cock….every 4th or 5th post you make, you choose to selectively rip on something I said.

Senden is known as a great ball striker on the tour – I know a handful of guys who play/played the tour and all say the same about him.

He has been amongst the Tour leaders in GIR for many years never finishing worse than 68th
    2016 33rd
    2015 68th
    2014 25th
    2013 68th
    2012 16th
    2011 5th in GIR
    2010 he was #1 on the Fuk’n PGA Tour in GIR 2 years in a row
    2009 he was #1
    2008 10th

Oh wait…..your reply now will be about how GIR is my Grandfather’s stat and Shots Gained is so much better….shots gained has its inherent flaws in many ways.

SG Putting tells us that a guy who misses all his 30 footers by misreading them 20” and kicks those in is a half shot per round better putter than a guy who just lipped all of his 30 footers to 1” – same number of putts per round, one guy almost made all of them and on badly missed all of them yet he is the better putter in SG

SG Approach uses baselines, averages and not a players ability to play from the next spot – if a player puts it in a bunker because that is the easiest place to miss it around a green, he gets docked because the SG calc uses the baseline average of that miss meaning how many shots the average player takes from a bunker that many feet away not that specific bunker which may be much easier.

Try again Bitch…….

• BIF

Shots Gained calculations explained for those that care:

http://www.pgatour.com/news/2016/05/31/strokes-gained-defined.html

• flip4flop

@Tour_Junkies said...

Don’t mind Henrik. He’s a ball-striker for sure. His coach told us he hates to practice putting. We’ve also been told by a TOUR Pro that played the course yesterday that the greens are even slower than expected, which will neutralize good putters. This is good news for Henrik. Not a bad small GPP Play at that price.

Thanks! Just finished listening to the podcast to the bitter end with no secret information haha!

Thanks for the putting information. Was just starting to dive into matching up putting with other stats.

• billholler

@BIF said...

SG Putting tells us that a guy who misses all his 30 footers by misreading them 20” and kicks those in is a half shot per round better putter than a guy who just lipped all of his 30 footers to 1” – same number of putts per round, one guy almost made all of them and on badly missed all of them yet he is the better putter in SG

Not to interfere in your pissing contest, but that’s a flawed way of thinking. Doesn’t matter if player A consistently missed by an inch while player B consistently misses by 20”. SG putting is a total round average and not just isolated incidents. Doesn’t matter how you 2 putt as long as you 2 putt, and more importantly, avoid 3 putting.

My only comment on GIR, it is a kind of outdated stat. What good does it do you to be on the green in 2 on every par 4 if you are regularly putting from 40 feet? There’s a reason proximity numbers are tracked so intently not only as a whole, but from various ranges.

• deactivated70770

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #84

RG Tiered Ranking

Loving the gold tier GPP this week. Only 2480 entered from 10K max. Hope everyone forgets to get in. I better cashed that one.

• Jamcclea

Interrupting to post this funny article. Rio is going to be fun!

http://deadspin.com/golf-at-the-olympics-will-be-played-in-a-goddamn-zoo-1784734901

• billholler

@slpanthers24 said...

Loving the gold tier GPP this week. Only 2480 entered from 10K max. Hope everyone forgets to get in. I better cashed that one.

I mentioned it yesterday and regret it. Fewer entries means higher chance for me to take it down so SHHHHH!!

• Jamcclea

@slpanthers24 said...

Agreed. Impressed with DK for this one and the payouts.

• jman3034

Is Hatton not playing this week? Or did Draftkings make a mistake with his player card?

“Hatton will not tee it up at this week’s Travelers Championship, nor the European Tour’s Aberdeen Asset Management Paul Lawrie Match Play.”

• billholler

Speaking of flawed thinking…..why is it so many experienced DFSers get excited by a low salaried guy that can make the cut? What good does it do you if he makes the cut and finished 45th? This is the Mark Hubbard effect although could be named for Tyrone Van Asswagon, Norlander since he was mentioned and for a long time Colt Knost until he finally made a few top 10s. All those guys regularly make cuts but then just hang around and never make their way into a winning DFS lineup.

• deactivated70770

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #84

RG Tiered Ranking

@jman3034 said...

Is Hatton not playing this week? Or did Draftkings make a mistake with his player card?

“Hatton will not tee it up at this week’s Travelers Championship, nor the European Tour’s Aberdeen Asset Management Paul Lawrie Match Play.”

Where are you seeing that quote? I don’t see it on draftkings

• billholler

@jman3034 said...

That was from 3 days ago so surely we would have heard something by now.

• billholler

Monday tweet:
    Tyrrell Hatton ‏@thatton91 Aug 1
    Happy to get another top 10 in a major 💪🏻 looking forward to the PGATOUR TravelersChamp this week!
    Thanks for all the support 👊🏻#PGAChamp

• deactivated70770

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #84

RG Tiered Ranking

@billholler said...

Monday tweet:
    Tyrrell Hatton ‏@thatton91 Aug 1
    Happy to get another top 10 in a major 💪🏻 looking forward to the PGATOUR TravelersChamp this week!
    Thanks for all the support 👊🏻#PGAChamp

Yeah I figured as much. I want him in so I can fade his 20% ownership.

• Tour_Junkies

HAHA! Thanks for listening to the bitter end. We appreciate the support.

• JimKronlund

PGA Tour Tee times
    2:15 PM USA Wes Roach MEX Abraham Ancer ENG Tyrrell Hatton

• Tour_Junkies

@BIF said...

On my dick again Cdog…..you must really love my cock….every 4th or 5th post you make, you choose to selectively rip on something I said.

Senden is known as a great ball striker on the tour – I know a handful of guys who play/played the tour and all say the same about him.

He has been amongst the Tour leaders in GIR for many years never finishing worse than 68th
    2016 33rd
    2015 68th
    2014 25th
    2013 68th
    2012 16th
    2011 5th in GIR
    2010 he was #1 on the Fuk’n PGA Tour in GIR 2 years in a row
    2009 he was #1
    2008 10th

Oh wait…..your reply now will be about how GIR is my Grandfather’s stat and Shots Gained is so much better….shots gained has its inherent flaws in many ways.

SG Approach uses baselines, averages and not a players ability to play from the next spot – if a player puts it in a bunker because that is the easiest place to miss it around a green, he gets docked because the SG call uses the baseline average of that miss meaning how many shots the average player takes from a bunker that many feet away not that specific bunker which may be much easier.

Try again Bitch…….

HA! This is hilarious.

• BIF

@billholler said...

Not to interfere in your pissing contest, but that’s a flawed way of thinking. Doesn’t matter if player A consistently missed by an inch while player B consistently misses by 20”. SG putting is a total round average and not just isolated incidents. Doesn’t matter how you 2 putt as long as you 2 putt, and more importantly, avoid 3 putting.

My only comment on GIR, it is a kind of outdated stat. What good does it do you to be on the green in 2 on every par 4 if you are regularly putting from 40 feet? There’s a reason proximity numbers are tracked so intently not only as a whole, but from various ranges.

I hear ya Bill but there are a ton of anomalies in the SG stats as well there are too many unknowns in the old single element isolated measurement style stats – I looked at a guy a few weeks back who had what I thought was a good putting round 28 putts and made 3 putts outside 15 feet including a 25 footer but missed a couple 3-5 foot putts and ended up negative on the day. I know why the SGP calc had him negative as I understand how it is calculated but he was surely better than average on that day .

With respect to your comment on GIR, I kind of agree that distance from hole is important and proximity is the correct measurement but we also get too granular and too general all at once – no two lies are the same – especially in the rough yet we try to average the guy’s performance from them. If we could get 1000 shots from every tour player from every yardage interval under the same situations then we’d actually have a comparable that means something. Because tour players hand pick which tournies they play in, our tour average stats are already inherently skewed immediately.

My initial comments were about Senden being a good ball striker – I remember when Henrik Stenson came on tour, someone on CBS/NBC said he was like a longer hitting John Senden – I’m guessing that was in reference to his ball striking ability and not his hair cut :)

• bigdaddies

what do we with Casey now that his TOE looks terrible that he tweeted this morning!

• BIF

@Tour_Junkies said...

Don’t mind Henrik. He’s a ball-striker for sure. His coach told us he hates to practice putting. We’ve also been told by a TOUR Pro that played the course yesterday that the greens are even slower than expected, which will neutralize good putters. This is good news for Henrik. Not a bad small GPP Play at that price.

Nice intel on Norlander – I’ve been high on his potential since he moved up from Web Tour but IMO has underperformed – just can’t seem to put 4 rounds together (nor 3 most weeks).

• Dewoc19

I had a dream last night that I woke up today thinking it was Friday and Bubba went full blown Grace on this course and MC by about 6 shots, here’s to hoping that dream was correct

• tprokopenko

@jman3034 said...

It’s an old update. He became eligible to enter the field thanks to his top 10 at the PGA, and he accepted.

• jdelsas

I can see Bubba and Koepka playing terrible for their price this week. Both easy fades to me, as they will be 30% owned each almost.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Use our links to sign up and deposit on sites listed in this thread to get these bonuses:

• FanDuel

Get 1-month of RotoGrinders Premium for FREE (a ~$40value) by signing up through one of our links!

Learn More
  • DraftKings

Sign up for DraftKings using a RotoGrinders link & receive our DraftKings Premium content FREE for 1 month. That’s a ~$40 value! No DraftKings promo code necessary!

Learn More
  • FantasyDraft

FantasyDraft strives to put players first, with a mission to “provide a fun and fair experience for all.” To this end, the site has a well-built, easy-to-use interface and a the first of its kind in offering “Rake-Free” fantasy contests.

Learn More

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week. Our goal is to help all of our members make more money playing daily fantasy sports!

Bet with your head, not over it!
Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-Gambler