PGA FORUM

Comments

• BIF

Here is some info from PGATour.com on the next event

COURSE: TPC River Highlands, 6,841 yards, par 70. River Highlands is actually the third layout on this bluff overlooking the Connecticut River, where the game has been played since 1928. Pete Dye gave the site a complete renovation when he arrived in 1982, and Bobby Weed added an upgrade seven years later in consultation with former PGA TOUR pros Howard Twitty and Roger Maltbie. Nos. 15-17 play around a four-acre lake, helping create a finish considered among the most exciting on TOUR. Peter Jacobsen triumphed when the Greater Hartford Open relocated there in 1984, then turned back the clock 19 years later to win it again.

FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 500 points.

CHARITY: New England Charities, which has given more than $33 million to various organizations since its formation in 1952. This year’s list tops 180 charities, including the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp, The First Tee of Connecticut, Yale New Haven Children’s Hospital and the Mark Twain Museum.

FIELD WATCH: World No. 6 Bubba Watson and Paul Casey, last year’s playoff combatants, head a roster that features 12 of the top 30 in the Official World Golf Rankings. … No. 12 Branden Grace, No. 14 Patrick Reed and No. 15 Louis Oosthuizen also help create a strong top of the lineup. … Jon Rahm, whose share of second at the RBC Canadian Open clinched special temporary status for the rest of the season, is among four freshly minted pros in the field. He’s joined by recent collegians Lee McCoy (Georgia), Robby Shelton (Alabama) and Jordan Niebrugge (Oklahoma State). … Also playing on special temporary status is Bryson DeChambeau, who tied for fourth in his pro debut at the RBC Heritage.

• 72-HOLE RECORD: 258, Kenny Perry (2009).

• 18-HOLE RECORD: 60, Tommy Bolt (2nd round, 1954 at Wethersfield CC), Patrick Cantlay (2nd round, 2011).

LAST YEAR: Watson staved off a fast-closing Casey for his eighth PGA TOUR win, though he needed to go two playoff holes to accomplish it. Watson held a three-shot advantage with five holes left, but a bogey at River Highlands’ 17th hole opened the door when Casey birdied three of his last five to finish off a 65. After both parred the first playoff hole, Casey stumbled on the third play at No.18 when his third shot from a greenside bunker flew the green and landed on a cart path. Watson’s wedge from 160 yards came to rest 8 feet from the hole, setting up the clinching birdie. The victory improved Watson’s record to 5-1 in playoffs, including a three-way playoff at the 2010 Travelers for his first TOUR trimph.

STORYLINES: Six of the past 10 Travelers winners have made it their first, including four in a row from Watson’s 2010 triumph to Ken Duke in 2013. … River Highlands will feature 56 players who teed it up at Baltusrol for this week’s PGA Championship. With the Travelers in its usual post-U.S. Open slot, three of its past six winners did not play the major a week earlier. … Six players are set to go from River Highlands to Rio de Janeiro for the Olympic Tournament, including three-fourths of the U.S. team: Watson, Reed and Matt Kuchar.

SHORT CHIPS: Just four New Englanders have won in Hartford, though two came back-to-back in 2005 (Brad Faxon) and 2006 (J.J. Henry). The others are Paul Azinger (1987, ’89) and Bob Toski (1953) … In the tournament’s 63-year history, only Phil Mickelson (2001-02) has managed to win it back-to-back. … Actor Kevin Nealon and and ESPN’s Chris Berman top the marquee for the Wednesday celebrity pro-am. That lineup also includes former Heisman Trophy winner Doug Flutie, two-time NBA champion Ray Allen and former UConn basketball coach Jim Calhoun.

TELEVISION:Thursday-Friday, 3-6 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday-Sunday, 1-2:30 p.m. (GC), 3-6 p.m. (CBS).

PGA TOUR LIVE: Thursday-Friday, 7 a.m.-3 p.m. (featured groups), 3-6 p.m. (featured holes). Saturday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. (featured holes).

• billholler

@mackie64 said...

Watson and Leishman or koepka and Rahm? DK Gpp

I despise Leishman. Dude could be playing in the desert and still somehow find a lake.

• bigdaddies

@Potsmoke I spilled my coffee laughing at you.

• Logan7777

@billholler said...

I had to go look. It looks nasty. No way he is going to be 100%

Looks real nasty. Can’t really tell but I’m guessing it’s left foot, toe next to big toe.

• awilson45

@mackie64 said...

Watson and Leishman or koepka and Rahm? DK Gpp

Rahm and Zach Johnson

• whodat2

@MrSnuffleupagus said...

This whole course is set up perfectly for bubba. Even the dog legs right set up nice for his fade.

Huh?

• billholler

@Logan7777 said...

Looks real nasty. Can’t really tell but I’m guessing it’s left foot, toe next to big toe.

If it’s his left foot, it may not be that big of a deal. I broke my pinkie toe on my left foot (yes, I’m right handed) earlier this year and didn’t affect my golf swing.

• billholler

@whodat2 said...

Huh?

Got me too. A guy that supposedly follows the game closely and actually attends events either doesn’t know the definition of golf terms or doesn’t realize Bubs is left handed.

• bigdaddies

• JimKronlund

@MrSnuffleupagus said...

Brooks got shot up before the event. Thats why he couldn’t feel his foot sunday night. Not smart to mask the pain so you can furthur injury your self

As an athlete with a career long battle with Sprained ankles I can tell you for sure that he is no danger of injuring it any further on a golf course.
    First they would have taped it in what is called an ankle lock or stirrup tapped method that immobilizes the ankle from making certain movements that would create more pain.
    Second they added an ankle brace just for more stability.
    3, they would have numbed the foot every morning and probably twice per day.
    4, in week 2-1/2 – 3 you have the rigorous physio therapy to get rid of scar tissue build up so they start working you pretty hard at that point.
    5, after healing for a month I can tell you that one session with your physio therapist would be much more robust and painful than a round of golf.
    5, He never even showed any signs of it bothering him at all. He was not testing it or favoring it at any point between shots.
    I am guessing that this was a lesser grade sprain than Rory’s and at the 5th week mark Rory was good to go. As I predicted on twitter.

• timusbr

@smallANDflaccid said...

Is the theory that because it is travel in the future, it would impact their play now?
    Or that they would just WD to have more time to prep?

actually the question is valid, “The olympic experience” isnt for the golfers who opt to play this weekend. The olympics is about more than your golf score and if they are not into the “experience” i think they will leave something on the table. Not to mention the issues surrounding Rio are problematic to anyone who has an entourage. These rich silver spoon olympians have got to have the heads swimming in personal issues.

• timusbr

@Tour_Junkies said...

Just for everyone’s benefit, here are the players that are on the Ryder Cup Bubble playing in the Travelers. We feel like these make good targets this week. Some of these are currently in the RC Top 8, but could slip out.

Bubba
    Brooks
    Reed
    Kuchar
    ZJ
    JB
    Kjeldsen
    Hatton

We really like Bubba, Brooks, ZJ, Webb, Rahm, & Woodland in the $9K and above range in cash or GPP.

what is the financial benefit to being on the ryder cup team??

• anomalous1

So I signed up for a five $1 H2H and my opponents are AshyL4rry, Chipotleaddict, birdwings, omgponies, jetblackx…

DK needs to implement an ELO system…

• Pickle29

@anomalous1 said...

So I signed up for a five $1 H2H and my opponents are AshyL4rry, Chipotleaddict, birdwings, omgponies, jetblackx…

DK needs to implement an ELO system…

Or you could choose your own opponents so that you avoid them.

Not trying to be rude. Just honestly providing an alternative.

• Tour_Junkies

@timusbr said...

what is the financial benefit to being on the ryder cup team??

No clue to the financial benefit actually. We can find out though.

• anomalous1

You can’t via the app right? Also, I assume I can leave these games too right?

• deactivated70770

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #84

RG Tiered Ranking

@billholler said...

Got me too. A guy that supposedly follows the game closely and actually attends events either doesn’t know the definition of golf terms or doesn’t realize Bubs is left handed.

Maybe I’m slow but Bubba does play a fade doesn’t he? If there are dogleg left holes it would favor him. With that said he can play it both ways.

• KJP24

@miamimunich said...

Roll with what you got man. In my opinion its better to be wrong with what you picked than to listen to someone else and them be wrong. If you are second guessing then at most lower ownership but i would not take him off completely.

Yeah you are right man. Gonna ride with him and hope for the best. I won’t be Koepka’d two weeks running

• Pickle29

@anomalous1 said...

You can through the app. Go through the lobby and select Head To Head across the top. It’ll give you the option to choose your opponent from everyone who has open H2H matchups at the entry fee you select. Also tells you how many H2H’s they have open at that price level.

• BIF

@anomalous1 said...

Yes you can on the iPad app
    1. Pick your H2H contest
    2. Pick your lineup – click enter $1
    3. A pop up will appear asking you to choose opponent or just enter – click choose opponent and you can scroll thru 20+ choices to play

• timusbr

@Potsmoke said...

I respectfully disagree, i think Diet Dr. Pepper tastes like ass. But hey, that’s just my opinion.

i hate diet dr pepper but I never had ass before. does it taste like soda??

• BIF

@slpanthers24 said...

Maybe I’m slow but Bubba does play a fade doesn’t he? If there are dogleg left holes it would favor him. With that said he can play it both ways.

Yup you are correct
    Bubba loves the fades with the long clubs (but can hit them both ways) and likes to draw/hook in short irons

• bigdaddies

@timusbr said...

@Potsmoke said…

i hate diet dr pepper but I never had ass before. does it taste like soda??

Stop it! just stop.. LOL LOL LOL LOL

• jstevens2k11

Lots of empty spots in the DK Dogleg right now…..could be some decent overlay

• whodat2

@Pickle29 said...

omgponies

Yep…. swimming with the sharks :)

• Rosterbate

@billholler said...

I was watching some of the highlights from last years event and it looked like there were some dogleg rights that were guarded by bunkers and rough not tree lines, and it looked like Bubba was starting it right and essentially cutting the dogleg out by hitting it far enough to clear the bunkers and rough that were creating the dogleg. Maybe the original person who made the comment was confused but it looked like because of his distance and fade he was playing the holes differently than many others would.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Use our links to sign up and deposit on sites listed in this thread to get these bonuses:

• FanDuel

Get 1-month of RotoGrinders Premium for FREE (a ~$40value) by signing up through one of our links!

Learn More
  • DraftKings

Sign up for DraftKings using a RotoGrinders link & receive our DraftKings Premium content FREE for 1 month. That’s a ~$40 value! No DraftKings promo code necessary!

Learn More
  • FantasyDraft

FantasyDraft strives to put players first, with a mission to “provide a fun and fair experience for all.” To this end, the site has a well-built, easy-to-use interface and a the first of its kind in offering “Rake-Free” fantasy contests.

Learn More

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week. Our goal is to help all of our members make more money playing daily fantasy sports!

Bet with your head, not over it!
Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-Gambler