Tuesday Weather Update: A lot to discuss, not a lot to worry about.
WASH @ COL – I know that even if there is a 1% chance of rain in COL, I’ll get tweets about it :P NWS has a 10% chance, future model data keeps the rain south of the stadium. GREEN
TB @ StL – Overnight storms. Really, really overnight. 4 in the morning or so, no worries. GREEN
MIA @ ATL – Some weak storms and showers popping around the area. It’s not much in coverage or intensity, but I can’t fully rule out one of those storms causing a quick delay if it happens over the stadium. YELLOW
KC at CWS AND SD @ CHI – A cold front is approaching CHI as we speak, and it could bring a broken line of showers and storms when it arrives. Right now the timing on that front looks to be around the end of the game, but fronts can accelerate with storms, or stall with no activity, so nailing the timing isn’t easy. Either way it doesn’t look like enough rain to pose a postponement, so I’m not hugely concerned. I will keep the game as YELLOW / GREEN for the chance of a delay. Keep in mind it goes green/yellow/orange/red. So a Yellow/green is a good forecast.
BONUS NOTE, WINDS IN CHI: In both of these games, once that front comes through, the winds will shift dramatically from the north, and could gust around 30mph. I would avoid getting sucked into the wind-hype here for a couple of reasons. First, ahead of the front, winds are not overly powerful, so until that front comes through, the wind will likely be negligible. Second, that front might not ever make it in time to impact the game. A late evening arrival would mean those strong winds never get a chance to kick in.
Just in case you are wondering, the Cubs stadium is oriented so that the winds would slightly favor the hitters until the front comes through, then once it does (which again, could be just after the game), it would be tough to hit anything out into the teeth of a north wind. The CWS stadium faces the opposite direction, so it would be slightly against hitters for the majority of the game, then a boost after the front clears through.
I hope that was understandable, either way with the timing of the front not pinned down, I wouldn’t put a lot of stock in the winds tonight.
Tweet me your concerns, @KevinRothWx, and as always I’ll update here if things change.
It’s just a forecast, so things can and will change, but I hope it helps! – Kevin