MAIN FORUM

Comments

• SunTszu

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #42

RG Tiered Ranking

I have always been very vocal about my feelings re: McGregor being vastly overrated.

Dig a little bit beneath the wins. Holloway, replacement fighter, Brandao, replacement fighter & Mendes, replacement fighter (day’s notice). None of these guys had full camps and Mendes had him beat before he gassed (likely from having no camp). Aldo was a flash KO against a guy that hadn’t stepped in the octagon since crocs were cool! I would argue that his one real quality win was against Dustin Poirer. Furthermore, get ready for it, McGregor is not a mixed martial artist! He is a good striker, decent grappler and has very good ring movement, but has no BJJ skils (I have no idea how or where he got a brown belt) and while ocassionally throws up a decent kick, is not at anywhere near the level of a trained kick boxer or Muay Thai practitioner.

I stated on this forum that I believed that Diaz on a short camp was likely the only top 10 rated fighter @ 155 or 170 that McGregor could beat! I heard the laughter echo throughout forum. I know admit that I was WRONG! McGregor cannot even beat Diaz on a short camp. I am taking nothing away from Diaz, as he is a tough mother fucker, but Michael Johnson actually landed harder shots than McGregor did.

On to the good stuff. I faded both CM & HH in my main DK line ups and while I got screwed by Silva and partially screwed by Latifi, Miranda, Saggo & Diaz were enough to get me a 2nd place finish in the $1,060 contest and a tie for first in the $300 buy in contest. A very good night after 3-straight sub par events.

Looking forward to Austrailia!

• bbbomb

• Blogger of the Month

@SunTszu said...

McGregor is not a mixed martial artist! He is a good striker, decent grappler and has very good ring movement, but has no BJJ skils (I have no idea how or where he got a brown belt)

oh

• kevin8053

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #28

RG Tiered Ranking

• 2020 NASCAR Live Finalist

• 2019 DraftKings King of the Beach Finalist

Well done as far as cashing in this card. I faded Holm and Thatch as well but heavy exposure, 95%, on Connor and some Silva was enough to do me in this week. I disagree with your assessment of Connor a bit though. He is a great fighter and his wrestling/bjj is bad but generally enough to handle the smaller guys he normally faces. This fight revealed that Connor’s “superpower” is that he is bigger and stronger than everyone else at 145. At 170 Diaz was the biggest guy he has faced, hit harder then anyone else, and could take the beating that Connor dishes which would have KOed anyone in the 145 pound division.

• SunTszu

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #42

RG Tiered Ranking

@kevin8053 said...

Well done as far as cashing in this card. I faded Holm and Thatch as well but heavy exposure, 95%, on Connor and some Silva was enough to do me in this week. I disagree with your assessment of Connor a bit though. He is a great fighter and his wrestling/bjj is bad but generally enough to handle the smaller guys he normally faces. This fight revealed that Connor’s “superpower” is that he is bigger and stronger than everyone else at 145. At 170 Diaz was the biggest guy he has faced, hit harder then anyone else, and could take the beating that Connor dishes which would have KOed anyone in the 145 pound division.

Fair enough. I would like to see him fight Mendes & Max coming off full camps and would really love to see a rematch with Dustin (though it is s high risk/low reward fight for CM, so I don’t expect that happens anytime soon). If I were the UFC and CM’s management, I would run not walk to get a fight with Frankie locked down. Being my homeboy aside, I don’t see how Frankie wins and it helps with the current taint on CM.

• Cityworkout

No on Mendes, Conor has to fight Edgar or/and Aldo to clean the FW. Then he has to try to get the belt vs RDA. Frankie is your home boy?

• headChopper

RG Contributor (OG Status)

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #75

RG Tiered Ranking

• $1M Prize Winner

• 2014 DraftKings FBWC Finalist

IDK about all that. Maybe, maybe not. I actually gained more respect for McGregor as a fighter after this fight. I tweeted mid way thru the first round that I couldn’t belive the size difference between these 2 guys as the exchanged strikes in the ring. It was far greater than I ever imagined and knew at that point McGregor was in trouble. There is a reason why there are weight classes and McGregor tried to jump the shark on this one.
    Unfortunately after Vegas was going haywire on McGregor I backed off Diaz and used Conor because I had $11K left over. Epic fail.

• SunTszu

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #42

RG Tiered Ranking

Geographically speaking, we are both from NJ

• Cityworkout

I looked through your blogs on the Mir meet up. Looks like you have passion for MMA. Won cash games in the last two UFC events and hope my interest in the sport can lead me to consistent profits.

• Starsprophet

• 2015 NASCAR Live Finalist

You are quite fortunate that Diaz finished the fight. If it had gone to decision, even with Diaz winning, your lineup would have been woefully inadequate. Be weary, for the follies of pride that bit McG will most certainly come for you as well my friend.

• SunTszu

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #42

RG Tiered Ranking

@Starsprophet said...

You are quite fortunate that Diaz finished the fight. If it had gone to decision, even with Diaz winning, your lineup would have been woefully inadequate. Be weary, for the follies of pride that bit McG will most certainly come for you as well my friend.

I really hope that I don’t come across as being too full of hubris? I have highlighted my losses here in this forum, in concert with my wins. I am also still learning. You are also correct, in that I was counting on 50-60 more points out of Latifi and Silva was a parley killer. However, I do stand by my contention that neither CM or HH offered relative value in tournament play. I was also wrong on Skelly and while I was right to fade Thatch (for reasons stated here), I should have had Siyar in more of my line ups. Unfortunately, there are only so many hours in a week (especially, with a day job to contend with) and I was more of a casual MMA prior to the Summer of 2015, so I don’t have the “muscle memory” of having watched & documented a lot fights. I have to rely hours more of research and watching film.

• SunTszu

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #42

RG Tiered Ranking

@Sports312 said...

I looked through your blogs on the Mir meet up. Looks like you have passion for MMA. Won cash games in the last two UFC events and hope my interest in the sport can lead me to consistent profits.

You are taking a much more prudent approach than I did when I started playing. I jumped right into playing in tournaments. My biggest issue is that I tend to treat playing as more of a hobby than a business, which can be dangerous considering the amounts I put into play on each event. I need to become more clinical in playing cash games. My thought process still leans towards playing 10-line ups in a $27 contest (w/1st place prize of $5k) versus playing a $270-cash game. I need balance, so that if I bust out in tournaments, I can still break even or make a small profit in cash games and ultimately set a targeted ROI for all play.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.