MAIN FORUM

Comments

• someclevername

Saturday, May 9th, 2020 – VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena – Jacksonville, FL

PPV Main Card – 9pm CT

Tony Ferguson (155) vs Justin Gaethje (155) – Interim LW Title Fight
    Henry Cejudo (c) (135) vs Dominick Cruz (135) – BW Title Fight
    Francis Ngannou (261.5) vs Jairzinho Rozenstruik (260)
    Jeremy Stephens (150.5)* vs Calvin Kattar (146)
    Greg Hardy (265.5) vs Yorgan De Castro (262)

ESPN/ESPN+ Prelims – 7pm CT

Donald Cerrone (171) vs Anthony Pettis (170.5)
    Aleksei Oleinik (227.5) vs Fabricio Werdum (243)
    Carla Esparza (115.5) vs Michelle Waterson (115)
    Vicente Luque (170) vs Niko Price (170.5)

ESPN/ESPN+ Early Prelims – 5:30pm CT

Bryce Mitchell (145.5) vs Charles Rosa (146)
    Ryan Spann (206) vs Sam Alvey (205)

*Stephens missed the FW limit by 4.5 pounds and will be fined 30% of his purse.

Hall/Souza OFF

• bigez952

@yisman said...

I was listening to some MMA guys talking about it on awesemo and they all said they would have at least one guy from the main event in every lineup, no matter how many lineups they ran.

Ownership is going to be high, that’s for sure.

That is what I have picked up on as well to play 1 of the 2 main event guys in every lineup so I am guessing they are both going to be 40%+ owned. I don’t know enough about UFC to take a stand on those two so I currently have 10 of each for my 20 lineups.

• gje627

Hey Smart People ….

Can someone please tell me why the touts think Dominick Cruz has a chance in the Co-Main against Cejudo? … Or put another way … why Henry Cejudo isn’t a lock in a five round fight?

Cruz’s last fight was a decision loss to Cody Garbrandt 3 years, 4 months, and 9 days ago (December 30, 2016) and that was actually the last fight Garbrandt won.

Additionally, Cruz has only fought only four times in almost nine years and even though he’s not ancient … at 35 years old his body is pretty much a mess.

Conversely, while Cejudo isn’t exactly a finisher, tomorrow’s fights are pretty top-heavy … i.e. “top-heavy” regarding the higher weight classes (plus a no power women’s affair) meaning unless we get tons of knockouts or submissions we may be in store for a lot low scoring fights.

In this regards, it seems to me Cejudo at 135 pounds, and only the 6th most expensive fighter on the card, going five rounds (at most, wouldn’t be surprised to see Cejudo finish Cruz) in a relatively speaking (when compared to the other fights on the card) low-weight division action-fest is going to score a decent amount of fantasy points.

Please tell me why I’m wrong … ?

• NewMike

Cruz is one of, if not the best bantamweight of all time and if he fights smart unlike he did versus Cody he can use his crazy movement and reach advantage to touch him up. You brought up it being a five round fight, do you think that helps Cejudo? I don’t remember Cruz having gas issues, so I don’t think it will be much of an advantage. The last time Cruz had a huge layoff he came back and destroyed Mizugaki. When he’s on his game he has one of the highest fight IQs in the sport, ring rust is all mental and he has proven in the past, it’s not a thing for him.

All that being said I’m big on Cejudo, but I definitely think Cruz has a chance

• gje627

@NewMike said...

Cruz is one of, if not the best bantamweight of all time and if he fights smart unlike he did versus Cody he can use his crazy movement and reach advantage to touch him up. You brought up it being a five round fight, do you think that helps Cejudo? I don’t remember Cruz having gas issues, so I don’t think it will be much of an advantage. The last time Cruz had a huge layoff he came back and destroyed Mizugaki. When he’s on his game he has one of the highest fight IQs in the sport, ring rust is all mental and he has proven in the past, it’s not a thing for him.

All that being said I’m big on Cejudo, but I definitely think Cruz has a chance

Thank You.

That’s exactly what I was looking for …. :)

The injuries, ring-rust … and do you really think he’ll have more “gas” than Cejudo?

Cejudo may have become a jerk … but he’s definitely not “mid-tier” ….

EDITORIAL: For the “Greatest UFC Fight Card” of all-time … how does Cruz even get a shot at the co-main ….

Anyways, and once more, your reply was exactly what I was looking for !!!

THANKS AGAIN !!! :)

EDIT 1: Based on NewMike’s observations, instead of locking Cejudo … I’m just going to lock-in one fighter each from both the Main and Co-Main … the salaries are just too low for 5-round fights to cover those combinations of four ….

EDIT 2: Fun Fact … Even locking-in the Main and Co-Main, and with NO fight stacks, there are still 4,163 oops 10,555 possible lineups … and yes … some are garbage but surprisingly not a large number ….

• yisman

Jacare Souza tested positive for COVID

His fight is off the card now but the event will go ahead as planned, for now.

• Neilj907

Wow that was a lot of adjusting, they better not can the whole thing

• NewMike

As long as you know that wasn’t an endorsement for Cruz as much as why I think people are picking him.

• thevogaman

Yeah… if they cancel this shit, I’m going to be very unhappy.

Where does that ownership go? Cerrone/Pettis, Waterson/Esparza, or Rosa/Mitchell?

• Stangs13

Yea that makes this card a mess for me. Liked Jacre a lot and I don’t really like the mid range pivots. I would guess ownership goes to Pettis and cowboy as they both could be KOed anytime now.

• thevogaman

@Stangs13 said...

. I would guess ownership goes to Pettis and cowboy as they both could be KOed anytime now

I’ve been trying to go down to Niko, Rozenstruik, or Yorgan as my pivot from the cancelled fight. Hoping the extra salary on the board should help keep me unique in some spots.

I was pretty heavy on both, like 30% Jacare/20% Hall… so it’s kind of a relief to get more exposure to some of these other mid range fighters.

• futoo

Jacarei was my sleeper to get a big score with the shape he was in. I’m not sure where to go now

• futoo

Playing on fanduel

• Moszman

Any sleeper information?

• futoo

Hardy said he was terrified to fight to begin with I’m sure it’s somebody testing positive doesn’t help his mindset.that not its

• thedkexperience

@futoo said...

Hardy said he was terrified to fight to begin with I’m sure it’s somebody testing positive doesn’t help his mindset.that not its

I just locked in my one $5 single entry. I’ll play but that’s my donation limit. Mostly I took 4 favorites, Cruz and the guy fighting against Hardy. My game theory is that Hardy might only be a slight favorite at the books because he has the most casual name value on the card. I’m assuming this card may set the UFC viewership record due to lack of options and that means lots of money on it that would otherwise be bet this year on baseball or the NBA playoffs.

I took Cruz mostly because his write up made him sound like an all-time great so I figure if I can save money and have it be on a future hall of famer then there you go.

Oh and actually Cowboy is an underdog but after reading the rules that fight looked like it’ll be over in 2 minutes no matter who wins so I’m taking him for money savings.

Let’s get it on!

• ttucowboy84

I have a bad feeling Smiling Sam Alvey is going to break the slate just one fight in.

• ttucowboy84

I don’t see how you can fade Tony vs Gaethje. I’m not fading either title fight, but Tony vs Gaethje is about as close of a lock as you can get. Either early Gaethje KO or Ferguson is going to have like 200 significant strikes peppering his ass.

I’m struggling with the heavyweights as well. So unpredictable by nature and really not feeling good about any of them. Pretty sure you’ll need at least 1 (can’t see all being low scoring snoozers).

I’m really looking forward to this card. It’s nice to have a real event to look forward to. Good luck everyone!

• skankinmat

Overall MMA DFS question..Is it generally a bad idea to put fighters from the same fight into your lineup?

• Kassdog

On this card I could maybe see gaethje/Ferguson on the same lineup but I avoid it as much as possible.

• NewMike

I could see a reason to fade the ME. Either fighter could finish the fight in the middle rounds and you most likely won’t get the points you need to win, since you probably need the perfect LU to win this week. You need a 1st round finish or maybe late 2nd round (possibly) or you need a DEC most likely from Tony where they engage the whole fight and I’m not sure Tony wants to stand in front of Justin for 5 rounds

• smonger19

@thevogaman said...

The last time I remember the main event stack working (I think it would have worked, don’t know if anyone had it) was Cormier/Stipe (think that was $8500/$7700).

I had to look it up and you are right about the prices, Cormier scored 101.5 in the loss and Stipe scored 116.5 in the win. That’s the only time in the last year and a half it would have worked (probably longer than that). You really need a close, active fight going into the championship rounds and ending in a KO/SUB to stack a fight.

If I were to stack a fight tonight (and I’m not), it would be Cruz/Cejudo above Gaethje/Ferguson.

• smonger19

@thevogaman said...

I’ve been trying to go down to Niko, Rozenstruik, or Yorgan as my pivot from the cancelled fight.

I have them in that order. Luque is my heaviest owned fighter, but I have Niko in every non-Luque lineup because he can pull off some crazy stuff. I wound up with more Rozenstruik than I am comfortable with, but still have more Ngannou. I don’t really like Yorgan, but he’s not facing a good fighter.

• thevogaman

Wait, would Joanna/Zhang have worked for a stack?

• smonger19

I rarely make more than 5-10 lineups, but felt ambitious this morning and thought I’d try to make 150. That ambition died down soon when I kept making duplicate lineups, but I wound up with 50.

The sad thing is that I’m most worried about being overweight on Sam Alvey at 4%. However, fighters at $6,900 have a 12-29-1 record since January 2019 while averaging 90.83 DK points in their wins. This should tell people two things: 1) A very low priced fighter will win more often than you think (though probably not Alvey) and 2) I have way too much time on my hands.

• futoo

@skankinmat said...

Overall MMA DFS question..Is it generally a bad idea to put fighters from the same fight into your lineup?

99%of the time yes.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).