MAIN FORUM

Comments

• LeRoiStephon

• Blogger of the Month

Are you ready for UFC Fight Night 89?!? Looks like an interesting card with z lot of super interesting fights between guys no one knows… Those are the types of cards guys like us can dominate!!! Favs?!?!? All the experts say Rory, I say Thompson… What do you guys say?!

• fg_311

Maybe hedge on the main event

• DontThrowPick6

That lawlor fight might have added 5 years to rory

• Antagonist88

Feel like everyone will be on Wonderboy with his destruction of Hendricks fresh in mind, but Rory could wind up being too smart for him. But with that in mind, I don’t think Rory finishes him, and he could have a very hard time dealing with Wonderboy for 5 rounds. His grappling his improved a lot since he lost to Matt Brown, so it’ll be tough to neutralize such a high level kickboxer with wrestling and well-timed striking for 25 minutes. Really a true toss up that could go any number of ways.

Also all DFS eyes will probably be on the Real OC vs Bosse fight, since it’s the obligatory big man fight where someone should get put on their face.

• kswetnam1342

MMA is quickly becoming one of my favorite DFS sports. Don’t watch it near as much as I used to, but it is still a blast to follow. This weekend was my first “losing” weekend, but it was still a great learning experience. Thanks to all of you guys for your helpful thoughts and insight.

• SunTszu

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #42

RG Tiered Ranking

I promised myself that I would take a few days off after the time I put into the last card, though as a direct result to having slept to 1:30PM on Sunday (after watching 7+ hours of UFC and winding down), I found myself staring at Midnight, having already watched GOT and was wide awake, so I started looking at the card and watching some film.

First impressions are that is is going to be a “fun” card. A case can be made for either fighter in the top 2-fights. I don’t see how any of the 4-fighters can be totally faded for DK purposes.

One fight that I looked at right away was Cirkunov/Cutelaba:

As a -950 favorite, Cirkunov was fed up new-comer Alex Nicholson, who took the fight on short notice. The day before Nicholson proposed to his girlfriend at the weigh-ins and on fight night had his nose broken & jaw shattered by Cirkunov. Post-fight interview Cirkunov was quoted as saying “I’m just really happy with the performance and especially – not just the submission – but I was able to break his jaw. I’m impressed.” In Cirkunov’s only other fight, he was fed of with another promotional new-comer in the form Daniel “the Werewolf of Texas” Jolly. As a -510 favorite, Cirkcunov KO’d the Werewolf in the 1st round. I can’t remember the last time that the first 3-fights in a fighters UFC career were all against promotional new-comers. However, that is what we are getting here in the form of Ion Cutelaba. With that said, Cutelaba is not Alex Nicholson or Daniel Jolly. First & foremost, Cutelaba is a natural HW (last weigh in was @ 249). His is only 22-years old and is a Combat Sambo fighter from Moldova. At 6-1 he is 2-inches shorter than Circunov with a bulid that is incredibly solid!

I have watched a lot of film on Cutelaba, He has 2-wins in the form of 1st round KO’s in 7-seconds & 8-seconds. He has a vicious ground and pound and has never had a fight leave the 1st round. His only loss is not actually a loss, but rather a 1st DQ resulting in behind the head shots administered during a vicious ground and pound. His take down defense could be better, though he is adept at getting back up and reversing positon and is very active on top at improving his position. He prefers to ground and pound versus looking for a submission. The level of competiton is a question mark, though he has had a number of fights in the Cage Encounters promotion and unless someone can add additional color, I am of the belief that the level of competion is at least equivocol to Circunov’s pre-UFC competion.

Cirkunov started his UFC career as a heavy favorite against 2-fighters who were frankly “cans”. I am assuming that he will be a heavy favorite again here.

I may not yet be ready to call for the upset. I want to see how Cutelaba looks at 205lb coming down from HW. I would also like to see how the line moves. Some added color in the form of a conversation I had with Frank Mir back in December on Russian fighters. The gist of it was that Frank said that many of the “Russian” fighters (especially, those from the former Soviet Republic) came from such poverty that they literally had nothing lose. Cutelaba comes from Moldova, which may be the poorest Country in Eastern Europe. It is a Country with no natural resources with an annual GDP that is lower than the net worth of the Frittita Family. Organized Crime runs commerce, there a few females between 16-30 due to human trafficking the studiest buildings standing were bulit by German POW’s during and after WWII. So getting in an Octagon and taking a few shots is likely far from the worse thing that Cutelaba has experienced!

• zelda3024

In 2004 I went to Ukraine and took a tour through Moldova we were told if you leave the group expect to be robbed and beat up or even worse. I and most people never left the bus.

Cutelaba Has some wicked elbows from the ground…. If he gets you to the ground he is smashing you with elbows. The possibility of an upset is there. But you are spot on about the level of competition vs the level of competition of Cirkunov.

• zelda3024

@LeRoiStephon said...

Are you ready for UFC Fight Night 89?!? Looks like an interesting card with z lot of super interesting fights between guys no one knows… Those are the types of cards guys like us can dominate!!! Favs?!?!? All the experts say Rory, I say Thompson… What do you guys say?!

LeRoi I love both these fighters and this fight could go down as a great one. I see Rory trying to take this to the ground and use his jitsu. Stephen Thompson even though he really has not had too use his ground skills all that much he does have a ground game as well as a 5th degree black belt in Tetsushin Ryu Kempo Karate and a 1st degree in Tetsushin Ryu Jujitsu and a Purple belt in RCJ Machado Jiu-jitsu. So this fight most likely stays on it’s feet with fire works happening. Vegas has Wonderboy just a slight fav.

Wonderboy by Split Decision.

• thetitanlb

Im with Wonderboy on this one. As Zelda mentioned above, Thompson actually has the credentials to be good on the ground. We dont know how good he is just because he rarely has ever even been there. Ever Since Thompson started to focus a ton on wrestling in his camps his game has gone next level. If McDonald can get inside for the takedowns i think Wonderboy can stop them. But i doubt that McDonald will even be able to get close enough to take him down. I just think that Wonderboy’s range and his striking game is just next level right now. We all thought Hendricks had a good standing game and amazing chin and we just saw what Wonderboy did to him in just a few minute span.

• Divine_Prodigy

That last card was just horrific , it’s gonna leave me in pain for years to come lol …. :( . This card is smaller but as a hardcore fan it’s fun nonetheless for me. Lately all these heavy favorites have been losing . I’d like to thank SunTzu for that tidbit of information about Cirkunov’s next opponent . It puts a lot into perspective . I as well see a Wonderboy win . It is this guys time . He barely has any match on the feet and if he perfects TDD which is becoming common …..nobody’s beating him .

• LeRoiStephon

• Blogger of the Month

One thing Robin Black pointed out that is that in boxing range, Thompson tends to struggle!! It’s like Thompson is an excellent kicker but just a mediocre pocket/combination puncher! Rory McDonald is the exactly the guy who could force this into boxing range and possibly bully Thompson with his jab and a smothering strategy!! I’mma just play this main event dead even! This should be a straight $9,700 fight and in cases like that, my rule is just to play it completely even!!

• kevin8053

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #28

RG Tiered Ranking

• 2020 NASCAR Live Finalist

• 2019 DraftKings King of the Beach Finalist

The hype train for Wonderboy is real and well deserved. When he beat Hendricks I was thinking next stop Lawlor and the title. Rory is the next best thing I suppose. I actually think the chalk play will be Wonderboy here and he will have higher ownership then Rory. The Bosse v OC fight is interesting because it’s probably not going to last more than one round. Bosse is coming off the win vs Te Huna and people may be on him for that reason. I think Te Huna is one of the worst fighters in the UFC so that win didn’t mean as much to me. Don’t know much about OC though but regardless I’ll he heavily invested in that fight

• Antagonist88

Garcia out vs Covington and replaced by his 7-0 Tristar teammate, Jonathan Meunier, making his UFC debut. Adds some uncertainty prime for DFS

• SunTszu

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #42

RG Tiered Ranking

@Antagonist88 said...

Garcia out vs Covington and replaced by his 7-0 Tristar teammate, Jonathan Meunier, making his UFC debut. Adds some uncertainty prime for DFS

Hard to gauge his competition, though Meunier does boast a 7-0 record with only one of his fights making it out of the 1st round. Also, coming out of Tristar is a good sign

• LeRoiStephon

• Blogger of the Month

Meunier is super green… Super green vs. Top flight wrestler on short notice with solid striking defense=not good for you

• SunTszu

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #42

RG Tiered Ranking

@LeRoiStephon said...

Meunier is super green… Super green vs. Top flight wrestler on short notice with solid striking defense=not good for you

I tend to agree, though i am not going to totally exclude from lower dollar GPP’s

• Antagonist88

Prices are up. Real OC and Cote will likely be the popular cheap options with Cutelaba sliding a little more under the radar. Ownership should also be extremely high for the main event with their near even pricing.

Also feel like Sam Alvey could be a solid GPP dart due to his KO upside and his possible ownership likely being eaten up by the likes of Cote and OC

• extrayardage

Playing UFC (seriously) for the first time. Have done some lineups before but this is the first I put significant time in!

We’ll see how it goes.

• thetitanlb

Man i really thought Herrera could win that fight. Smh

• thetitanlb

Thought Herrera got him in that kimura too.

• thetitanlb

Had the barn cat in every lineup. Im done :(

• Antagonist88

Man, who would have seen Jotko coming? +1100 to win in distance at one point. Crazy

• thetitanlb

@Antagonist88 said...

Man, who would have seen Jotko coming? +1100 to win in distance at one point. Crazy

He hasnt KO anyone in over 5 years.

• bbbomb

• Blogger of the Month

That one hurt lol

• thetitanlb

Now that Misha won it basically makes it that if you had the barn cat Mcrory you lose. Crap

• beastmodecal

• Blogger of the Month

I don’t know what it is. Every under the radar fighter I feel like has a good chance to win just can’t. Herrera is one in particular. He had that chimera and modified triangle but couldn’t finish it. I have one lineup left thats not damaged. Lets see how the rest of the night plays out

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.