STRATEGY FORUM

Comments

• someclevername

Saturday, July 24th, 2021 | UFC APEX | Las Vegas, NV

Main Card (ESPN/ESPN+, 6pm CT)

Main Event
    Cory Sandhagen (136) vs TJ Dillashaw (136)

Co-Main Event
    Kyler Phillips (135.5) vs Raulian Paiva (135.5)

Darren Elkins (146) vs Darrick Minner (145.5)
    Maycee Barber (125.5) vs Miranda Maverick (125.5)
    Adrian Yanez (135.5) vs Randy Costa (135)

Prelims (ESPN/ESPN+, 3pm CT)

Punahele Soriano (185.5) vs Brendan Allen (185.5)
    Ian Heinisch (185.5) vs Nassourdine Imavov (185.5)
    Mickey Gall (169.5) vs Jordan Williams (170.5)
    Julio Arce (135.5) vs Andre Ewell (135)
    Sijara Eubanks (125) vs Elise Reed (125)
    Diana Belbiţă (114.5) vs Hannah Goldy (115.5)

Fight Odds

Tapology Fightcenter

• gje627

@someclevername said...

but I’ll never understand what you have against GIFs

They’re annoying, they’re seldom (if ever) funny or entertaining, they discourage original ideas or thoughtful dialogue, and at least in my estimation GIFs have brought down the collective IQ of all RG threads by at least 100 points ….

I guess a few here and there are okay, but if you look at some threads … there is absolutely zero substance … just page-after-page of grade-school GIFs.

I’ve never posted one, so just curious how long does it take to find the perfect GIF?

Sorry, that last sentence just sounded mean-girl snotty. Let’s just say, I don’t like GIFs.

• NewMike

@someclevername said...

2. A lot (I HOPE – going Sandhagen). Sidenote: does anyone believe TJ when he says he only used EPO to cut weight for the Cejudo fight? Or do you think he was taking his vitamins before this (as Garbrandt alleged)?

I was watching a podcast and they said USADA or whoever has his old samples said they tested them and they didn’t pop for EPO. So there’s a chance he was telling the truth, but he could have also been on 10 other steroids, just not EPO for them. Or the podcast’s source could have been wrong

• someclevername

@gje627 said...

They’re annoying, they’re seldom (if ever) funny or entertaining, they discourage original ideas or thoughtful dialogue, and at least in my estimation GIFs have brought down the collective IQ of all RG threads by at least 100 points ….

I guess a few here and there are okay, but if you look at some threads … there is absolutely zero substance … just page-after-page of grade-school GIFs.

I’ve never posted one, so just curious how long does it take to find the perfect GIF?

Sorry, that last sentence just sounded mean-girl snotty. Let’s just say, I don’t like GIFs.

Heard – you don’t like them. Respectfully agree to disagree on their overall utility though – they can be very funny (at least to me) and sometimes they get an idea across better than any text could… sometimes they just… fit. Like on the card recently w/Ryan Hall, someone posted a GIF of a panda rolling around lol that is funny to me (plus pandas are adorable) and it perfectly encapsulated what Hall was trying to do way better than if they had posted “Hall is rolling around!”

I do hear you though – if you literally have nothing else to say, it is annoying. Like, for example on the twitters, I’ve seen some posts where almost every single response is a GIF (sometimes the same one!) and that is awful, I wholeheartedly agree.

If you have nothing real to contribute, ever, then yeah, it sucks. I haven’t really experienced that on this particular MMA forum though – I think the vast majority of the time I see them used I find them funny. Or, at the very least, not terrible. To each their own though! Oh wait… is that why we haven’t seen you around in a bit? Was it the GIFs, gje??? IT WAS THE GIFS WASN’T IT

• someclevername

@NewMike said...

I was watching a podcast and they said USADA or whoever has his old samples said they tested them and they didn’t pop for EPO. So there’s a chance he was telling the truth, but he could have also been on 10 other steroids, just not EPO for them. Or the podcast’s source could have been wrong

Yeah, it is so hard to bake that into your decision making cos… who the hell knows? I kinda think he was always on the sauce, but I’m not there with him, what the hell do I know, it’s just speculation. Maybe he really did use EPO once to cut to fly – maybe he’s been on some shit forever. Maybe it’s something in between. We’ll never know, so I guess it comes down to how they match up. Cory does not have the best tdd, that is a concern. I think he knocks TJ out on the feet, but whooo boy I am wrong a lot. I do know this – with or without “vitamins” 35 is old for Bantamweight. I’m going with Sandhagen, but TJ as an underdog is something I wouldn’t pass up if I did multiple lineups.

• CityBoy410

@joephoto said...

Knockout Kings . I tried to invite all who posted last week, but not all use Draftkings I guess.
    My first time doing this. Hope I did it right.

Enter 20 person contest this week.

Thanks, I will be playing this week.

• someclevername

Soriano/Allen is the fight that I convince myself I’m gonna need then inexplicably ends in a crappy decision.

• thevogaman

@someclevername said...

Soriano/Allen is the fight that I convince myself I’m gonna need then inexplicably ends in a crappy decision.

Same. Soriano might be getting overrated here off that Dusko fight. But since Dusko literally blocks punches with his face, I don’t think it’s nearly as impressive as it seemed at the time.

Both sides should be chalk and I’m thinking about risking that it goes to decision.

• CityBoy410

I know Dillashaw is always confident/Cockey and I feel this is a great fight for Cory to show why he’s next for a title shot but that little annoying voice in my head says believe in Dillashaw. It’s like I was so sure I was gonna get a brand new heating and cooling system for my house when I get paid but at the last minute I went to the dollar store and got a fan.

• gapTTJG

Ladd/Chiasson fight off

• jki7p6

@CityBoy410 said...

but that little annoying voice in my head says believe in Dillashaw. It’s like I was so sure I was gonna get a brand new heating and cooling system for my house when I get paid but at the last minute I went to the dollar store and got a fan.

Dillashaw by oil check tapout, 3rd round

• thedkexperience

@thevogaman said...

I thought her crisp 1-2s and feints when she was legit 10 feet away from Grasso was an interesting technique. Like maybe Maverick wont know what to do and will just run face first into a jab.

She was leveling up her ultimate I believe.

• thedkexperience

@gje627 said...

Accompanying Text

• thedkexperience

@someclevername said...

Heard – you don’t like them. Respectfully agree to disagree on their overall utility though – they can be very funny (at least to me) and sometimes they get an idea across better than any text could… sometimes they just… fit. Like on the card recently w/Ryan Hall, someone posted a GIF of a panda rolling around lol that is funny to me (plus pandas are adorable) and it perfectly encapsulated what Hall was trying to do way better than if they had posted “Hall is rolling around!”

I do hear you though – if you literally have nothing else to say, it is annoying. Like, for example on the twitters, I’ve seen some posts where almost every single response is a GIF (sometimes the same one!) and that is awful, I wholeheartedly agree.

If you have nothing real to contribute, ever, then yeah, it sucks. I haven’t really experienced that on this particular MMA forum though – I think the vast majority of the time I see them used I find them funny. Or, at the very least, not terrible. To each their own though! Oh wait… is that why we haven’t seen you around in a bit? Was it the GIFs, gje??? IT WAS THE GIFS WASN’T IT

This forum is not only one of the most useful on RG, it’s also easily the most fun and least shit talkie.

I get not wanting to clutter a 32 page NFL chat with gifs but it’s a god damned art form in this sub.

#teamgif

• thedkexperience

@CityBoy410 said...

I know Dillashaw is always confident/Cockey and I feel this is a great fight for Cory to show why he’s next for a title shot but that little annoying voice in my head says believe in Dillashaw. It’s like I was so sure I was gonna get a brand new heating and cooling system for my house when I get paid but at the last minute I went to the dollar store and got a fan.

Sandhagen strikes me as one of the only guys in his division who watches film and actually learns from it.

Also here is a gif of a tuna for no reason.

• thevogaman

@thedkexperience said...

This forum is not only one of the most useful on RG, it’s also easily the most fun and least shit talkie.

It’s refreshing that these threads don’t break down into a dick-measuring contest every week… like most MMA threads.

• BigDaddy123

why is the picture/avatar of Jordan Williams on Fanduel a woman?

• thevogaman

@BigDaddy123 said...

why is the picture/avatar of Jordan Williams on Fanduel a woman?

Had to look. I think its a male head with girl hair. He’s not wearing a top at least.

• thedkexperience

@thevogaman said...

It’s refreshing that these threads don’t break down into a dick-measuring contest every week… like most MMA threads.

Yup. Let’s say me and you pick a dozen fights 100% different. There is a 0% chance I’ll come in here and start measuring career GPP wins or in any way crap on your picks.

Hell, you and I could both be 5-0 going into the main on Saturday with different picks and there would also be a zero percent chance of anyone saying anything other then “someone from the board may take it down, neat!”

It’s pretty simple round here. Come in, discuss your thoughts, be honest about how you got there (which for me is usually a bunch of bong gifs) and then watch the fights.

The current meta of the RG MMA forum is perfect. If I want to be an all business jerk who gets yelled at by strangers I’ll use Reddit.

• gje627

FYI

Since UFC numbers are only used by very few people here, I’m not going to go through the time-consuming hassle of formatting and posting tables here, but if anyone wants my file (worksheets) for the fights tomorrow just PM/DM me and I’ll give you a link/password to the file on Google Drive.

Included in the file will be fighter no-vig odds (better than implied odds since juice is removed), fight no-vig odds, statistical data per fighter, biographical data per fighter, summary of tout picks, all possible linuep combinations (you can filter to include particular fighters, particular fights, fight stacks, best ITD% lineups, best Win% lineups, etc.). The only thing I will not include here is my fantasy projections, for obvious reasons.

Regarding the no-vig odds, since I’m not bound by column width limitations I have substantially more numbers than I typically post for both individual fighters and fights as a whole. Regarding the all possible lineups page, since it is quite large it also makes the file itself quite heavy, so you will likely need to be patient when loading to view or download.

The file is in MS Excel (.xlsx) but can be opened by any spreadsheet program, including Google Sheets.

I am just starting to work on most of my numbers so it will be later today before I finish (maybe around 7:00 PM MT tonight?). Again, to the few of you who are interested, just PM/DM me if you want the file and I’ll reply with the link/password. The only thing I would ask is that you not share the link with others or on social media.

EDIT: I may need to be gone tomorrow so I’m uncertain as to whether or not I’ll be able check-in here in the AM before the fights start. As such, please let me know as soon as possible, but no later than my bedtime tonight (your guess as to what time this will be is as good as mine ….) if you want the file.

• someclevername

Eubanks basically told me to shut my face cos she made weight on the number, didn’t need the towel or anything and looked healthy. She’s come a long way since TUF when she cut her hair trying to make weight and legit looked like she might die. I don’t think I can get to that $9300 salary, but good on her.

• joephoto

@thedkexperience said...

The current meta of the RG MMA forum is perfect. If I want to be an all business jerk who gets yelled at by strangers I’ll use Reddit.

I like that nobody around here pretends they really know what they’re doing.
    I mean really- some of these MMA fighters are idiots.

In 10 years I think I used a gif once- it was by accident.

• someclevername

@thevogaman said...

Same. Soriano might be getting overrated here off that Dusko fight. But since Dusko literally blocks punches with his face, I don’t think it’s nearly as impressive as it seemed at the time.

Both sides should be chalk and I’m thinking about risking that it goes to decision.

I don’t think I have the strength to stay away from it… which is the biggest sign it disappoints lol

I need to go back and watch Soriano’s only decision win vs Pickett and see how his cardio looked in the 2nd/3rd. Just skimming the stats Pickett only landed 36 SS the entire fight, so it’s not like he put up any kind of pace to tire out to anyway (so if he did, that ain’t great). Soriano landed 3/4 tds vs Pickett & 1/1 vs Piechota, so maybe he has some td upside in addition to KO upside? In his 3 fights w/stats, no one has even attempted a td against him, which makes sense since you can’t attempt a td if you’re unconscious. Allen should be making him work a lot harder than Pickett did anyway… provided he stays alive and all.

Ok, I have talked myself into chalk Soriano – y’all know what to do!

• someclevername

@someclevername said...

I don’t think I can get to that $9300 salary, but good on her.

Actually, don’t seem to be having an issue w/fitting that salary at all – might have to throw her in there and hope she Hulk smashes.

• NewMike

After many months of slowly bleeding money on GPPs, I’ve become a cash game player for the most part. I don’t think I can fade Eubanks here and I think she can score big in a decision with TDs and control time. And I don’t really love it it, but I’m on TJ here as well. He’s had 2 years to fix any injuries he had and will still be taking the same stuff from before that USADA can’t detect. And for betting I like the over 3.5 rounds, because Sandhagen goes to decision or loses when he sees a big step up in competition and I think TJ is by far his biggest test outside of Aljo.

• gje627

Done for the night and probably won’t be able to check-in tomorrow as the only thing I’ll be doing is entering/editing lineups and placing some hedge bets against my DFS plays. Per previous post, I do make a pretty extensive numbers analysis on weeks I play so if you want notes/research I can share some other time.

Sorry to create a minor brouhaha (maybe more of a ruckus) on the GIFs thingy. Importantly, I agree it’s not an issue here so sorry if I offended anyone with my comments and it’s certainly nothing that keeps me awake at night … regardless of the forum thread.

Enough said?

Anyways, whether you’re betting or DFS-ing, or a little of both …

Good Luck and Godspeed Everyone !!!

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).