STRATEGY FORUM

Comments

• someclevername

Saturday, August 21st, 2021 | UFC APEX | Las Vegas, NV

Main Card (ESPN/ESPN+, 9pm CT)

Main Event
    Jared Cannonier (185) vs Kelvin Gastelum (186)

Co-Main Event
    Clay Guida (155) vs Mark Madsen (156)

Chase Sherman (256) vs Parker Porter (262)
    Trevin Jones (135) vs Saidyokub Kakhramonov (138.5)*
    Vinc Pichel (155.5) vs Austin Hubbard (156)
    Alexandre Pantoja (126) vs Brandon Royval (125.5)

Prelims (ESPN2/ESPN+, 6pm CT)

Luis Saldaña (146) vs Austin Lingo (145.5)
    Brian Kelleher (136) vs Domingo Pilarte (136)
    Bea Malecki (135) vs Josiane Nunes (136)
    William Knight (206) vs Fabio Cherant (205)
    Roosevelt Roberts (154.5) vs Ignacio Bahamondes (154)
    Ramiz Brahimaj (171) vs Sasha Palatnikov (170)

*Kakhramonov missed the bantamweight limit by 2.5 pounds and forfeits 20% of his purse

Fight Odds

Tapology Fightcenter

• factorial89

i like brandon royval to bounce back here. he is currently at plus 140.

• gje627

• thedkexperience

What’s this sports talk doing on my NFT discussion forum?

I kind of like Gastelum this week because he’s probably who I would resemble if I drop another 60-70 pounds after the last 60-70 pounds.

• thevogaman

@gje627 said...

Mana Martinez vs Trevin Jones OFF

Yeah and the replacement opponent – not going to try to spell his name – could maybe have some value now. I had Jones as a free square against the last guy.

The thing that stands out to me on this card is Chase Sherman at $9200. In this economy?! It’s heavyweight so you have to go there a little, but I favor Porter outright. Faster, better boxing, better cardio, better wrestling… I don’t see what the public does I guess.

• NewMike

Is Al Hassan/Neto off? I can’t find it on DK and it’s not a new addition to the fight card

• gje627

@NewMike said...

Is Al Hassan/Neto off? I can’t find it on DK and it’s not a new addition to the fight card

Delete.

• gje627

@thevogaman said...

The thing that stands out to me on this card is Chase Sherman at $9200. In this economy?! It’s heavyweight so you have to go there a little, but I favor Porter outright. Faster, better boxing, better cardio, better wrestling… I don’t see what the public does I guess.

I’m not confident in any of the expensive fighters, though I like Sherman here. I guess Sherman’s high salary is simply a function of DK’s pricing methodology given the fact all the fights are predicted to be close.

• gje627

I’m doing something pretty interesting stuff with the “numbers” this week but I need final salaries. Does anyone know when DK generally posts salaries for mid-/late-week fighter replacements?

I see DK has listed Saidyokub Kakhramonov as the new opponent for Trevin Jones but they still don’t have a salary listed for Kakhramonov. While I’m assuming Kakhramonov will simply inherit Martinez’s salary of 7400 I generally don’t track these things and therefore can’t say for certain. Therefore, in addition to my first question, does anyone have a thought on what to expect Kakhramonov’s salary to be?

EDIT: Since DK salaries are entirely based on a fighter’s win odds, I guess DK will wait until odds are posted. Thus, my question is kind of a DUH question since the relationship between salary and fight odds largely forms the basis for the numbers I reference above. Anyways, would still appreciate it if someone replies to my questions above.

• NewMike

@thevogaman said...

Yeah and the replacement opponent – not going to try to spell his name – could maybe have some value now. I had Jones as a free square against the last guy.

What do you think he will be priced at? If they don’t repeat a number, he will be either 6.9k or 8.1k, and I would think 6.9k makes a lot more sense since based on the ML he should be around 7.2k-ish

• gje627

@NewMike said...

What do you think he will be priced at? If they don’t repeat a number, he will be either 6.9k or 8.1k, and I would think 6.9k makes a lot more sense since based on the ML he should be around 7.2k-ish

Did you ever get your csv issue figured out?

I replied to your post but never heard back.

• thevogaman

@NewMike said...

Did you find a line for it yet? I think it’s a close fight but I’m assuming they just put him at $7400.

• gje627

@thevogaman said...

Did you find a line for it yet? I think it’s a close fight but I’m assuming they just put him at $7400.

Like I said the post before the question … with the identical question …. :)

• thevogaman

@gje627 said...

Like I said the post before the question … with the identical question …. :)

Yeah, it looks like opened with Jones -300 and is now a pick em… probably be Friday before we finally get the salary. I’d be surprised if the fight even happens at this point. That’s usually how the most discussed fights on the card go at least.

• NewMike

I found more of a work around, it takes a few extra steps so not a big deal, but it works. My spreadsheet skills could use some work

• gje627

@thevogaman said...

Yeah, it looks like opened with Jones -300 and is now a pick em… probably be Friday before we finally get the salary. I’d be surprised if the fight even happens at this point. That’s usually how the most discussed fights on the card go at least.

I agree.

The odd thing always is why these fights get canceled … i.e. will Trevin Jones withdraw for “unknown reasons”? After all, it is his turn.

Regardng this particular match, the short history is as follows:

Mana Martinez vs Jesse Strader (Strader pulls out for unknown reasons, replaced by Jones)
    Trevin Jones vs. Mana Martinez (Martinez pulls out for unknown reasons, replaced by Kakhramonov)

Now we have a match between fighters (Trevin Jones vs Saidyokub Kakhramonov) who are both late replacements and where neither was originally scheduled to fight at all.

It amazes me how frequently this happens.

• someclevername

@gje627 said...

The odd thing always is why these fights get canceled … i.e. will Trevin Jones withdraw for “unknown reasons”? After all, it is his turn.

Tony Kelley wd, Ronnie Lawrence botched his weight cut, Kang turned down his same day offer when Yahya had to pull out of the Kang fight & now Martinez. Jones is going to run to the cage like The Ultimate Warrior if this fight stays on lol.

Kakhramonov in at $7400

• joephoto

@factorial89 said...

i like brandon royval to bounce back here. he is currently at plus 140.

https://dkn.gs/r/IBSk8qJevE-nQjzO_ovgCg

Factorial 89, are you in DK ?
    Join our game with link (if it works).

• gje627

@someclevername said...

Tony Kelley wd, Ronnie Lawrence botched his weight cut, Kang turned down his same day offer when Yahya had to pull out of the Kang fight & now Martinez. Jones is going to run to the cage like The Ultimate Warrior if this fight stays on lol.

Kakhramonov in at $7400

Don’t forget the Valiev fight when Jones knocked Valiev out only to lose his win bonus after his positive test for marijuana (thank God this rule has changed).

Have to wonder if this poor guy will ever get a decent pay day … especially since the UFC no longer pays even a token amount of show money.

If Jones doesn’t end up fighting this weekend for whatever reason, Dana White should make it a priority to get him on the card next weekend. Don’t know if you’ve heard or not, but that card sounds like an absolute mess with 4 fights being pulled on Tuesday alone.

• NewMike

I just found out about the MMA 2nd half achievements in the rewards tab on DK. It’s not much, but you get some crowns, it might be enough to get you into the throwdown.

• someclevername

@gje627 said...

Don’t forget the Valiev fight when Jones knocked Valiev out only to lose his win bonus after his positive test for marijuana (thank God this rule has changed).

Ahh, I did forget about that – such garbage. Let the man knock people out & smoke his weed in peace!

• gje627

@someclevername said...

Ahh, I did forget about that – such garbage. Let the man knock people out & smoke his weed in peace!

Funny.

I remember going to my career guidance counselor in high school. The counselor asked me about my career interests. I told her, “I don’t know … something where I can punch people in the face and then go and smoke my weed in peace.”

Too bad for me, there was no UFC/MMA when I was making career choices in high school …. :(

• someclevername

Looking at Brahimaj. If he doesn’t get Van Gogh’d again, probably has some upside here considering all 8 his wins are early subs (7 first round, 1 second round). I’m just not bowled over by Palatnikov. He was getting his ass kicked in 8 different directions in his debut til Cosce gassed. Impa handled him w/o much trouble if I remember correctly. I mean, I guess he’s tough and prob has the better cardio… but eh.

Leaning Pichel since he should be wrestling and the gulf in nicknames here is… well, you tell me. Vinc “From Hell” Pichel vs Austin “Thud” Hubbard. Thud. THUD! Man, you gotta smoke some weed, open up your third eye and come up w/something better than that before I play you on DK.

Malecki/Nunes is going to look like the WBW version of Shavkat/Prazares. I really have no clue. I guess Malecki on size alone, but might have to pass on this one.

I agree that Sherman’s price is crazy, but he’s at least fought the better comp? In HW sometimes that’s enough? Maybe, maybe not. He’s got some leg kicks, right? Idk. I feel like I was on Porter when he fought Parisian and was s w e a t i n g. Sherman ain’t great, but Parisian is like bottom of the barrel. Not overly confident here, but lean to Vanilla Gorilla.

Considering Guida… is it time for me to self-exclude on DK? I know Madsen’s wrestling pedigree, but he has fought no one of note. His striking is kinda butt. Guida is a vet’s vet w/stupid cardio – he can make this a gritty, dirty, scrambly fight and for the bargain price of $7100! He can also shoot his own td and dive right into a guillotine… but for the low, low price of $7100! Or is he just too past it and gets wrestlef’d by Madsen (for $7100)?

Pantoja/Royval FOTN.

Anyone have any kind of take on the ME? It’s kind of an odd matchup, no? Cannonier by crystals? Gastelum by cinderblock head? I’m leaning fade, but open to thoughts.

• thevogaman

@someclevername said...

I agree that Sherman’s price is crazy, but he’s at least fought the better comp? In HW sometimes that’s enough? Maybe, maybe not. He’s got some leg kicks, right? Idk. I feel like I was on Porter when he fought Parisian and was s w e a t i n g. Sherman ain’t great, but Parisian is like bottom of the barrel. Not overly confident here, but lean to Vanilla Gorilla.

Parisian was the 9k fighter in that matchup though and Porter 30-27’ed him I thought. He’s actually skilled under all that flab. It’s basically 2 guys that have lost every time they’ve fought someone that’s actually good… so I’ll take the cheap one.

• thevogaman

Madsen is getting a little bit underrated here by the public, too. I’d cap him at -750 against Guida. Like how does Guida win here?

Reminds me of Aldo/Munhoz from the last card. Munhoz closed as the favorite despite having almost no path to victory because MMA touts saw “value.”

I mean anything can happen, sure. Guida appears to be doing stuff in fights and can win with body language, cardio, and some luck I guess… but I think Madsen is the real deal. He’s just better at everything and I’m hitting that -160 line hard.

• someclevername

@thevogaman said...

Parisian was the 9k fighter in that matchup though and Porter 30-27’ed him I thought. He’s actually skilled under all that flab. It’s basically 2 guys that have lost every time they’ve fought someone that’s actually good… so I’ll take the cheap one.

Fair enough. I’m not going out to buy a Chase Sherman tshirt (if it exists) or anything. You’re right in that neither instill a ton of confidence so why not go w/the cheaper guy. I get it and for anyone lurking – when vogaman & I disagree… go w/vogaman lol.

Also, how crazy was it that Parisian was the $9000 fighter there lol

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).