PGA FORUM

Comments

• whodat2

When: Sept 17-20

Where: Mamaroneck, NY

Course: Winged Foot GC | A par 70 playing at 7477 yards

Last Year’s Winner: Gary Woodland at -13

Last Year’s Cut: +2 TOP 60 plus ties.

Coverage: Golf Channel | NBC | Peacock, Streaming: USOpen.com plus other apps

RG Golf Forum League

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – Golf strategy talk for this week’s contest. Post referring to last week’s contest will be moved to the correct thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..

• Straightfire118

@Money0227 said...

If you are talking MKF…the free square was when they threw Lanto Griffin in there at 70.5 and 22.5 FPs for round one when everyone else was set at 73.5 and 17.5 FPs.

This being said…I’m definitely positive on everything Rahm-wise this week.

Mainly just talking the tourney I feel it’s Rahms time and his stats couldn’t be more perfect for the course. Imo he’s a free square on any fantasy golf platform.

• klf_is_gonna_rock_ya

Can a stats guru help me out here? I’m comparing Webb Simpson and Collin Morikawa and looking at off the tee. Webb ranks 79th and Morikawa 19th. Yet if you look at a avg driving distance and percentage of fairways hit, they’re very very close. Why would Morikawa be ranked so much higher than Webb off the tee?

• Dunzor

@klf_is_gonna_rock_ya said...

Can a stats guru help me out here? I’m comparing Webb Simpson and Collin Morikawa and looking at off the tee. Webb ranks 79th and Morikawa 19th. Yet if you look at a avg driving distance and percentage of fairways hit, they’re very very close. Why would Morikawa be ranked so much higher than Webb off the tee?

Strokes gained is determined relative to the field in the event but accuracy and distance are absolute measures so if the guys play different events but one has wider fairways and more holes downhill or downwind those absolute numbers could come out the same but if one guy does it on tighter fairways his strokes gained will be better relative to the field (Sg:OTT) than the guy making those stats on an easier course.

• klf_is_gonna_rock_ya

@Dunzor said...

Strokes gained is determined relative to the field in the event but accuracy and distance are absolute measures so if the guys play different events but one has wider fairways and more holes downhill or downwind those absolute numbers could come out the same but if one guy does it on tighter fairways his strokes gained will be better relative to the field (Sg:OTT) than the guy making those stats on an easier course.

Thanks. So Morikawa played harder courses this year. Makes sense.

• mitchsnyderdfw

Ok, locked and loaded on a Tuesday night. Why can’t this start tomorrow?

Winner: Thompson over Simpson (2012 redemption)
    Fade: Morikawa
    Sleeper: Spieth

• shadowchap1978

@mitchsnyderdfw said...

Love the Thompson pick! I thought you were done with Spieth after last week? Going back to the well at one of the hardest courses in the world with him… big balls my friend! On a side note: my Dad swore him off after last week, and today he’s in the first lineup he made! LoL… the reason “ I can’t quit him” lmao

• badtrip

One of the things about US Opens that bother me is there often isn’t a perfect shot possible . I remember T Watson very late on a Sunday needing a birdie. Pin was front right, tucked behind a bunker. There was zero chance stopping an approach within 20 feet of landing. His only chance was to fly it into the up-slope 1 foot past the bunker, let the rough slow the bounce down so it could drip on the green. He hit the perfect shot. I’d bet that he would say the ball landed exactly where he was looking (like if he put a dinner plate down where he wanted it to land he would have broke it). It released 25 ft. past , he didn’t make it, he didn’t win.
    I just think there should be A way to get a ball inside of 20 ft. if a player gets a driver in the fairway when the pressure is on.

• lfn1992

@Getty33 said...

Chalk? No, I don’t see it. Do I like him at a venue like this? Yes. Of course he can’t win because he never does, but a top 10 looks promising.

Yeah Fleetwood is such a scrub, only winning back-to-back EURO championships and second in a couple majors

• naj1073

Winner: Webb Simpson
    Fade: JT
    Sleeper: Grace/Noren

• Straightfire118

Winner: Jon Rahm by 8 strokes

Fade: DJ

Sleeper: Corey Conners

• klf_is_gonna_rock_ya

I would post my winner, fades and sleepers but, then I’d spilt the $1 million.

• MrBreeze

I just watched the hole by hole flyover video’s, these guys will have their hands full this week!

• BIF

@mitchsnyderdfw said...

Spieth

Not me this week – I have pretty much wrote him off but still get sucked in at some courses – not this week.

• badtrip

@Straightfire118 said...

Winner: Jon Rahm by 8 strokes

Fade: DJ

Sleeper: Corey Conners

I desperately want to go against you out of spite. But Rahm might be a good one (no one wins by 8).You say fade DJ? Shut face players have a bit of advantage through really heavy lies. They don’t have to release the toe of the club through the shot.Shut face’s are basically holding off every shot. DJ won’t flip 3 shots out of the rough all tourny. That means DJ can hit greens from the rough….There is a couple of reasons why he is a good US Open player.

• Straightfire118

@badtrip said...

I desperately want to go against you out of spite. But Rahm might be a good one (no one wins by 8).You say fade DJ? Shut face players have a bit of advantage through really heavy lies. They don’t have to release the toe of the club through the shot.Shut face’s are basically holding off every shot. DJ won’t flip 3 shots out of the rough all tourny. That means DJ can hit greens from the rough….There is a couple of reasons why he is a good US Open player.

While being a shut faced player may be an advantage from the rough, it may also have its disadvantages. Hitting bunker shots like that into super firm greens maybe a problem, and there’s a plethora of green side bunkers.

• karonica

who dat gonna clean my clock lol gl

• badtrip

@Straightfire118 said...

While being a shut faced player may be an advantage from the rough, it may also have its disadvantages. Hitting bunker shots like that into super firm greens maybe a problem, and there’s a plethora of green side bunkers.

That’s reaching. The whole point of opening a face at address in a bunker is to keep it that way. The whole key to golf (besides knowing the bottom of the swing), is where the face is pointing at impact..Watch Azinger viids if you want proof. Proper bunker play requires the club not to turn over anywhere near the impact zone. Ask Biff if you don’t believe me.

• Krausehouse

• 2020 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

@badtrip said...

Im not convinced that de-lofting/shutting your club face is going to be an advantage out of this thick rough. Im not sure if you have ever tried hitting a ball out of deep rough, but the last thing that i’m thinking about is shutting my club face.

• Straightfire118

@badtrip said...

That’s reaching. The whole point of opening a face at address in a bunker is to keep it that way. The whole key to golf (besides knowing the bottom of the swing), is where the face is pointing at impact..Watch Azinger viids if you want proof. Proper bunker play requires the club not to turn over anywhere near the impact zone. Ask Biff if you don’t believe me.

Isn’t the point of opening the face to get more loft on the ball to get spin? Anyways my fade still stands I’m fading DJ for a variety of reasons, ownership and price being the main ones plus just coming off of winning the fed ex and 15 milly, so may not be as motivated.

• tristanwolf

what if there was a major…and you looked up nothing on rotogrinders..nothing on pga….nothing on awesemo…nothing on pat mayo…nothing on rickrungood…if you only went on guts…my latest method…the gut…

• badtrip

A “shut club face” is one that is perpendicular to the left arm plane (or closed to it).Bunker shots don’t count .

• mogan11

yall see the Canadian trio is playing together this week?

someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but it reminds me of some poor group rounds from jt,spieth,rickie of the past.

• timusbr

@tristanwolf said...

if you only went on guts…my latest method…the gut…

gotta have a few gut plays, Thats why God invented MME.
    inside is a burning bush.

• depalma13

Looking at the course from 2006, the birdie holes were 4,5,6 & 11. 4,5 &11 are shorter in 2020, 6 is the same length.

If your players are making bogies on those four holes, they are finished.

The really tough holes, 8,9,10,17 & 18 were all lengthened since 2006. #9, probably the toughest hole on the course, has added 51 yards.

If you are players are getting pars or better on these five holes, you should be in for a good payday.

• Wander_Bread

Spieth has a good chance to shoot +20 through the first two rounds this week if we are being honest.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.