PGA FORUM

Comments

• Cbed11

When: June 15-18

Where: Erin, Wisconsin

Yardage: 7,823 yards

Par: 72

Cut: Top 60 plus ties

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – Golf strategy talk for this week’s contest. Post referring to last week’s contest will be moved to the correct thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..

Follow along with our Live Coverage of the DraftKings Millionaire Maker today!

• Cbed11

Read that the plan is for the course to play between 7,600 and 7,700 yards, but I guess we will see.

• silentanddeadly

Looked at the course, the first shot is the easiest – the fairways seem to be forgiving. Given that some fairwarys are on hills, a 400 yard tee shot isn’t out of the question for a few holes. It is the approach which is a little harder given that the greens are either sloped or bunker protected. Trying to figure out if bombers are the right play or approach shot guys – probably bombers are the play here. The par fours are either 450+ or nearly drivable. For at least two of the par fives, the greens are not reachable in 2 due to distance except for a handful of players. No trees here, the out of bounds surface is fescue and if you are in it – watch out.

• tbishop8

2011 US Amateur results from Erin Hills. Lot of guys played well in it that will be there next week.

http://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/championship-archives/2011usamateur.pdf

• tbishop8

Also this article stolen from whoever posted it in the St Jude forum says that the course was playing 7,700 and the players didn’t think it was too long. Obviously the rough will be less forgiving this time around and the greens will be quicker though but these guys tore up the course as collegiate golfers at this length so the length won’t be the issue.

http://host.madison.com/sports/golf/u-s-amateur-men-s-golf-erin-hills-bark-worse/article_942f5a2a-cd17-11e0-b451-001cc4c002e0.html

• Kpwgamecock

Is it going to be set up as a Par 70 or 72?

• Cbed11

• baggerly

@Kpwgamecock said...

Is it going to be set up as a Par 70 or 72?

If it’s playing 7,700+ yards it has to be a par 72.

• bgraffunder

The course is set to play at 7,693 for the US Open. I read somewhere that the fairways are about 50% wider than your typical US Open course so we will see the drivers out there. Here is a basic overview of the course. Sounds like the sand traps are very tricky.

http://www.golf.com/courses-and-travel/2017/06/01/everything-you-need-know-about-erin-hills-host-2017-us-open

• cy1985

Prices are up on dk

• bgraffunder

If you are bored here is a fun video recapping the Cantlay Kraft final match play at Erin Hills for the 2011 Amateur Open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rqyh6JKQHs

• superstars92

RG Overall Ranking

@tbishop8 said...

2011 US Amateur results from Erin Hills. Lot of guys played well in it that will be there next week.

http://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/championship-archives/2011usamateur.pdf

Cantlay won’t be here though. I was kind of hoping he would qualify.

Spieth is probably the biggest name with some experience here, but honestly, course experience is one of the last things I look at.

• bgraffunder

@superstars92 said...

Cantlay won’t be here though. I was kind of hoping he would qualify.

Spieth is probably the biggest name with some experience here, but honestly, course experience is one of the last things I look at.

Same here. I judge recent form and course fit over CH. I was bummed when Cantlay didn’t qualify. Lot of interesting names that played the Amateur back then.. I think Henley posted one of the lower scores of the weekend with a 66. Spieth shot 2 rounds under 70. Pretty interesting looking at the matches. However, I won’t use this 2011 tournament as a factor since a lot has changed since 2011.

• bigdaddies

stricker will be 28% owned for sure! maybe higher……

• hcassidy

haven’t looked at pricing yet, may look in a bit and get a gameplan started. just redeemed my 4 Milli Maker & 2 Albatross tickets.

• Cooper08

• Blogger of the Month

@hcassidy said...

haven’t looked at pricing yet, may look in a bit and get a gameplan started. just redeemed my 4 Milli Maker & 2 Albatross tickets.

How did you get two albatross tickets with it being single entry?

• hcassidy

@Cooper08 said...

How did you get two albatross tickets with it being single entry?

It only let me enter 1, just seen that. So the rest of them are dead, that really sucks. I played a tournament about 6 weeks(because it had major overlay) ago that won you tickets to the remaining major’s and I entered it twice and both L/U won tickets. Just sent DK an email on that.

• bgraffunder

@bigdaddies said...

stricker will be 28% owned for sure! maybe higher……

Is this sarcastic? No way he will be 28% owned with Kaymer, Leishman, An being priced in the 6k range and Stricker in the 7k range.

• hcassidy

@bgraffunder said...

Is this sarcastic? No way he will be 28% owned with Kaymer, Leishman, An being priced in the 6k range and Stricker in the 7k range.

I don’t think it was, I think many will gravitate towards Stricker as he had to qualify to get in. Let alone him being a Wisconsin boy(Madison), so he is coming in angry after having to qualify since PGA denied him the exemption. I am not playing him but sure many will flock to him but I may take a flyer or 2 on Niebrugge who is a Wisconsin native as well but played the course in 2015 while in college.

• superstars92

RG Overall Ranking

^I don’t think the average DFS golf player who will play the US Open tourney (and there will be more recreational ones since it feature the 1 M prize) will even know Steve Stricker is from Wisconsin.

I think most will just look to choose notable names or people they see have nice stats next to them.

Martin Kaymer will definitely pop out as a guy who will be heavily owned. Any time you a 2 time major champ at 7k and we are talking about recreational players, they will flock to him. Besides, he’s a good choice even if are a more experienced player, given he’s been quite good this year and is a great ball striker.

• hcassidy

@superstars92 said...

^I don’t think the average DFS golf player who will play the US Open tourney (and there will be more recreational ones since it feature the 1 M prize) will even know Steve Stricker is from Wisconsin.

I think most will just look to choose notable names or people they see have nice stats next to them.

Martin Kaymer will definitely pop out as a guy who will be heavily owned. Any time you a 2 time major champ at 7k and we are talking about recreational players, they will flock to him. Besides, he’s a good choice even if are a more experienced player, given he’s been quite good this year and is a great ball striker.

That I agree with, but those casuals or recreational’s who have watched PGA channel or follow ‘Touts’ they will be and have been pushing the Wisconsin & denied exemption narrative. I have seen it a few times already on Twitter. And I agree with you great ball striker, I played him last week. But not touching him at Erin Hills

• timusbr

@hcassidy said...

I don’t think it was, I think many will gravitate towards Stricker as he had to qualify to get in. Let alone him being a Wisconsin boy(Madison), so he is coming in angry after having to qualify since PGA denied him the exemption. I am not playing him but sure many will flock to him but I may take a flyer or 2 on Niebrugge who is a Wisconsin native as well but played the course in 2015 while in college.

My only question about this is does stricker hit the ball a mile off the tee? I dont think so, sure fairways and greens. I think everyone and their brothers will be on big hitters.

• Cbed11

@timusbr said...

I think everyone and their brothers will be on big hitters.

I don’t know how much I trust a college football analyst, but Joel Klatt played the course and said it definitely favors bombers. There are holes that guys will get a whole lot of roll, but they have to hit certain parts of the fairway which aren’t reachable for everybody.

• WidumBoise

Feels like a Blount week

• BIF

@bgraffunder said...

Same here. I judge recent form and course fit over CH. I was bummed when Cantlay didn’t qualify. Lot of interesting names that played the Amateur back then.. I think Henley posted one of the lower scores of the weekend with a 66. Spieth shot 2 rounds under 70. Pretty interesting looking at the matches. However, I won’t use this 2011 tournament as a factor since a lot has changed since 2011.

The players in the US Amateur only played 1 round at Erin Hills and 1 round at another course so if people are checking scores there from 6 years ago make sure you have the right course rotation – I think 120-156 players played each course each day then switch courses for Round 2. From there the low 64 qualified for match play. There were not many rounds in the 60’s at Erin Hills and the other course played at least a shot easier and probably 2 shots from just eyeballing scores.

• BIF

@hcassidy said...

It only let me enter 1, just seen that. So the rest of them are dead, that really sucks. I played a tournament about 6 weeks(because it had major overlay) ago that won you tickets to the remaining major’s and I entered it twice and both L/U won tickets. Just sent DK an email on that.

They should give you cash or a different $12 ticket you can use for another regular event Albatross $12 GPP

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.