When: Feb 4-7

Where: Scottsdale, Arizona

Course: TPC Scottsdale | A par 71 playing at 7261 yards

Last Year’s Winner: Webb Simpson at -17

Last Year’s Cut: -1

Coverage: Golf Channel | CBS | PGA Tour Live

RG Golf Forum League

Happy Meal Cup 2021 Standings

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – NBA strategy talk for today’s games. Post referring to yesterday’s games will be moved to yesterday’s NBA thread. Any off topic posts, troll posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted. While the use of GIF’s are acceptable, content must be posted along with them.

• Wander_Bread

So we have the most fans on tour since the pandemic started this week. 5,000 per day. Last year’s Houston Open had 2,000 per day which was the most until this week. While we won’t have the normal crazy fan fare this week like we are used to (especially on 16), at least we will hear some type of cheering. Will be fun to get back to a little bit of normalcy, albeit a fraction of the amount of fans usually here.

EDIT – sorry, yes typo, meant 16

• BrianVT

This is the track where you live or die by how many balls get knocked in the water, right?

• ifthethunder

@BrianVT said...

This is the track where you live or die by how many balls get knocked in the water, right?

“And Simpson has more kids (5) than the other nine players combined (3).”

I suppose that’s not what you meant though.
    ~

https://www.pgatour.com/tour-insider/2021/02/01/webb-simpson-outlier-among-golf-elite-players-waste-management-phoenix-open.html

• Herf

@Wander_Bread said...

So we have the most fans on tour since the pandemic started this week. 5,000 per day. Last year’s Houston Open had 2,000 per day which was the most until this week. While we won’t have the normal crazy fan fare this week like we are used to (especially on 17), at least we will hear some type of cheering. Will be fun to get back to a little bit of normalcy, albeit a fraction of the amount of fans usually here.

16 is the iconic hole with the stadium seating. Last time I was there a few years ago there were college students right outside the stands by a beer tent stacking empty beer cups on a dude that was passed out. Every cup they got to stand up on him they cheered, which bothered Bubba Watson on a nearby tee box. Bubba just laughed and said, “what the hell is going on?” Haha, good times.

If I remember correctly, 17 is a short par 4 with water left? Definitely a fun hole to watch.

• Money0227

Obviously very early, but looks like great weather all 4 days. Sunny, high 60’s – low 70’s and not much wind.

• Ndepompei

@Money0227 said...

Obviously very early, but looks like great weather all 4 days. Sunny, high 60’s – low 70’s and not much wind.

Welcome to Scottsdale

• lfn1992

Even with “more fans”, thinking that this still isn’t going to pack the same energy as a normal WM Open.

• mitchsnyderdfw

@Wander_Bread said...

So we have the most fans on tour since the pandemic started this week. 5,000 per day. Last year’s Houston Open had 2,000 per day which was the most until this week. While we won’t have the normal crazy fan fare this week like we are used to (especially on 17), at least we will hear some type of cheering. Will be fun to get back to a little bit of normalcy, albeit a fraction of the amount of fans usually here.

16th Hole Packages still available. $2,000 – $2,600 per person/six person minimum.

https://wmphoenixopen.com/16th-hole-hospitality-2021/

No wonder those people get so sloshed there, trying to recoup some money spent in “free” booze.

• timusbr

@mitchsnyderdfw said...

16th Hole Packages still available. $2,000 – $2,600 per person/six person minimum.

No wonder those people get so sloshed there, trying to recoup some money spent in “free” booze.

nothing like a crowd who line up early and fight for non reserved seating. (my youth was filled with these)
    Those days are gone for Phoenix’s 16th hole. Sure you will have some nuts, but it wont be the same.
    2K, thats out of most peoples price range.

• XxHeisenbergxX

@mitchsnyderdfw said...

Is that for all 4 days or one day? LOL

• BrianVT

@timusbr said...

Sure you will have some nuts, but it wont be the same.
    2K, thats out of most peoples price range.

I’m betting SleazyGreazy makes the trip there.

• RudyPujols

@BrianVT said...

Eh, I doubt it. Front 9 is out in the dry desert with zero water. 10 and 16 have zero water. 17 is the only hole that gobbles up a lot of balls, but par is still in play with a drop in chip area depending on hole location (17 green is about as tough as they come, though). 11, 12, and 15 have water very much in play but I don’t think it gives many guys problems (even though Rickie had a big number in Rd. 4 at one of them the year he won).

I would think that water is a much bigger factor at Honda/PGA National and a few other places.

• mitchsnyderdfw

@XxHeisenbergxX said...

Is that for all 4 days or one day? LOL

That is all four days. Individual tickets are $550/day. Only Thursday and Sunday left though, so apparently there is some demand.

Also, packages are now sold out.

• RudyPujols

15-17 here is one of my favorite 3-hole stretches on tour. Gettable “island” green Par 5, drunken Gladiator Par 3, and driveable Par 4 with water left and a green that is tricky when pin is front left or back left.

Looks like Brandon Grace is not playing this year. Thank God, I hate playing that guy but it would be hard to fade him after a 2nd and a 9th past two years.

• Supersharpie

Why do big names play the Saudi International? The purse is a pittance. Must be some side benefits?

• MACKTYSON

@Supersharpie said...

Why do big names play the Saudi International? The purse is a pittance. Must be some side benefits?

Appearance fees, blood money.

• RudyPujols

@Supersharpie said...

From Golf Digest Article:

“Growing the game, traveling to new spots, intrigued by the competition … all baloney. These guys are making the trip to pad their bank accounts— anywhere from $300,000 to $3 million for an appearance—and, perhaps, meet new sponsors. That players are given the finest accommodations, and their wives are pampered like princesses, doesn’t hurt. Any other justification of why they’re playing is a facade.”

• Sleazygreazy

RG Overall Ranking

@BrianVT said...

I’m betting SleazyGreazy makes the trip there.

lmao – I would love to but can’t swing it. I am planning to have my bachelor party there though, next year.

• XxHeisenbergxX

@mitchsnyderdfw said...

That is all four days. Individual tickets are $550/day. Only Thursday and Sunday left though, so apparently there is some demand.

Also, packages are now sold out.

I lived in AZ for 4 years Vegas for 15 before returning east…before I was into golf DFS…now I would love to go..will have to add that to my bucket list.

• mitchsnyderdfw

Salaries out

Top 3

Rahm
    Xander
    Thomas

At first glance, $9K Will Z is probably going to garner a lot of ownership. Dude is playing really well lately.

• BrianVT

@RudyPujols said...

Eh, I doubt it. Front 9 is out in the dry desert with zero water. 10 and 16 have zero water. 17 is the only hole that gobbles up a lot of balls, but par is still in play with a drop in chip area depending on hole location (17 green is about as tough as they come, though). 11, 12, and 15 have water very much in play but I don’t think it gives many guys problems (even though Rickie had a big number in Rd. 4 at one of them the year he won).

I would think that water is a much bigger factor at Honda/PGA National and a few other places.

I beg to defer. I recall lots of water issues here (by that, I don’t mean lots of water hazards, I mean lots of balls in water). I’ll find some data, but for now:

“Course summary: This desert track is relatively short with undulating Bermuda fairways and large, fast Bermuda greens. Deep bunkering and water hazards are the main defence for this course where consistent ball strikers appear to prosper. The course sits at altitude, so players will have to factor in the additional length when calculating their shots. An exciting closing stretch features a reachable par 5, and a driveable par 4, with danger from water hazards lurking throughout. “

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/waste-management-phoenix-open-preview-tv-times-and-betting-tips/

edit: From what you said, though, sounds like we are both strangely in agreement. There will be lots of balls in the water, and it could impact your guy missing cut and/or finishing well (more so than other courses, I’d say).

• hbomb57

@mitchsnyderdfw said...

At first glance, $9K Will Z is probably going to garner a lot of ownership. Dude is playing really well lately.

And on the other side of the spectrum Speith at 7500 should not. It might not be too long from now we might see him sub 7000.

• cplatt87

Sea Bass at 7100 also seems cheap and I assume will be one of the more popular plays in the lower range.

• ifthethunder

@cplatt87 said...

Sea Bass at 7100 also seems cheap and I assume will be one of the more popular plays in the lower range.

Stars and scrubs for me, again. I found 4 players under 7,500 that I liked right away. (More, even…but I can get them in with swaps.)
    ~

• depalma13

I would like a Rahm Berger with a little Horschel sauce on top and a side Zalatoris, but unfortunately, it costs too damn much money.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).