STRATEGY FORUM

Comments

• JEFFRAMBO

Long time listener, first time… oh wait, wrong place. Anyhow, Afternoon RG… long time since I’ve posted but curiosity got the best of me today and I wanted to resurface to gain some insight from the community.

I started in DFS back in 2013 and was definitely more of a luck box then with some of my better cashes rather than a process-oriented player, which I consider myself to be today. But the thought of my progression got me thinking about a few things…

1) What is the #1 specific resource (i.e. a specific tool on a site, not just a site itself) you attribute to where your DFS game is today compared to where it was when you first started?

2) What specific theory/concept do you have a better understanding of today that you didn’t understand when you first started?

3) What strategy/process do you center your DFS play around now that you didn’t when you first started?

4) Who do you trust the most in the DFS industry when it comes to trusting their views/thoughts on a given slate (regardless of sport)?

5) Besides a time machine, what resource that doesn’t exist today do you think would put your game over the top?

• JSteele

1. I can’t really narrow it down to any specific resource, as I use several. But figuring out who to follow on Twitter is great for information (Beat writers, teams etc).
    2. Game selection. I’m still not great at it, as who doesn’t want a shot to win the top prize? But with a limited bank-roll I found myself doing better with shorter slates, so I am now focusing more time on express/late slates which I find is much easier to cash. It does require a different strategy and if you do win, you most likely share the top prize.
    3. When I first started, I was a 49ers fan so my first ever contest I stacked Kap and a bunch of 49ers. Now I play impartial to specific teams and more based on stats/matchups etc.
    4. Myself. Some touts are very good at their sport, but i’ve noticed a lot of unusual advice given that I don’t really pay attention to most touts. I do occasionally get to thinking about some ideas that they bring up that I wasn’t really thinking about before which is helpful, but ultimately it comes down to my final choice.
    5. Good one. I find it hard to get a real solid breakdown of game flow, play calling/defense on said plays etc. I can get an idea of this through stats on nba.com but it’s real time consuming to do it for every game/player on a slate. It would be nice to be able to click on a player and see the breakdown of offensive plays they run and how it matches up with the opposing team defense against those plays. Maybe you’d see something like ISO PPG, PnR PPG and % of play run and then a red or green color depending on the opposing defense at defending those plays. If all the colors are green, it might be a smash spot, if all the colors are red it’s a weak spot and if all the colors are mixed its ok.

• JEFFRAMBO

Solid feedback JSteele, much appreciated! Good luck tonight if you’re playing.

• Volkster6

1) I follow actual dfs pros on twitter, not as many touts and see what they think. You can gain a lot of insight into their thinking mid or post slate
    1b) SlateIQ!
    2) when do fade and when to eat chalk

3) correlation and game stacking – using cash game lineups in SE GPP

4) Derek Carty and Kyle Murray, in addition to Alex Dunlop. Love The Blitz show! Carty is math based and Kyle is GPP driven. Great duo. Alex legitimately knows every single player as well.
    4b) Crunch time with Meansey for sure

5) better NHL slates – less 13 game/2 game nights and more 7/8 games
    5b) not second guessing my lineups. Late switches always screw me, but I’ve made them so it’s my fault

Great thread!

• TheDataDetective

• Blogger of the Month

Great idea for a thread! Here’s my 2 cents…

1) This is a bit of a cop-out, but I have to go with the MLB projections app that I developed (which is the basis for my RG blog). In NFL and NBA I have managed to be competitive due to a combination of manual research, knowledge of the sport, and luck. However, until I developed my app I was always pretty terrible at MLB DFS…in that sport in particular, there’s just too much relevant data to process without the help of an app. And baseball is the sport in which historical data most accurately predicts future performance…not necessarily on a day-to-day basis, but certainly in the long run.

2) Bankroll management is the obvious answer for me, but that’s a bit too easy so I’ll dig deeper. I would say that stacking is something that I have become more cognizant of and improved at in recent years. When I first started playing DFS, I would fill each lineup spot in isolation…i.e. simply trying to plug in the best collection of players that I could cobble together. Now I try to build a lineup that has a story behind it. For instance, in football I might pair a DEF with that same team’s K and RB, the idea being that if the defense plays well then their offense will also get a lot of short fields and close-range scoring opportunities.

3) When I first started playing, I had a tendency to jump to conclusions and overreact to relatively short losing streaks (e.g. a bad week). Over time, I learned to “trust the process” and ride out slumps. There’s an unavoidable variance in all sports, and even the best process will fall prey to it on a regular basis.

4) I don’t doubt that there’s some solid advice out there, but I tend to ignore others’ opinions and advice when it comes to fantasy sports. The vast majority of touts conveniently fail to track the results of their own projections & recommendations, and those who do tend to only look at the previous day’s picks (which is a tiny sample size). This is why I always track cumulative results for my own blog’s recommendations in an objective, quantitative way. If anyone takes the time to read my blog, I want them to be aware of my track record —- if my picks aren’t performing, the last thing I want to do is bring others down with me! ;-)

5) I wish every major sports league would provide raw play-by-play and game-by-game data via a free, public API the way that MLB does. Some sports don’t lend themselves to large-scale data analysis the way that baseball does, but it would be nice to have the option to do so across the board.

• dolphinkick182

Cutting back.

• LegiaWwa

Tennis

• ttc12

Elevated?

• sochoice

• 2017 DraftKings FBWC Finalist

• 2017 FanDuel WFFC Champion

Lots and lots of vodka. Just like Ruxtin.

• zpruitt3

Did 2 seasons on The Bachelorette

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Use our links to sign up and deposit on sites listed in this thread to get these bonuses:

• FanDuel

Get 1-month of RotoGrinders Premium for FREE (a ~$40value) by signing up through one of our links!

Learn More
  • DraftKings

Sign up for DraftKings using a RotoGrinders link & receive our DraftKings Premium content FREE for 1 month. That’s a ~$40 value! No DraftKings promo code necessary!

Learn More
  • FantasyDraft

FantasyDraft strives to put players first, with a mission to “provide a fun and fair experience for all.” To this end, the site has a well-built, easy-to-use interface and a the first of its kind in offering “Rake-Free” fantasy contests.

Learn More

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week. Our goal is to help all of our members make more money playing daily fantasy sports!

Bet with your head, not over it!
Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-Gambler