MAIN FORUM

Comments

• ezellmt

RG Contributor

RG Overall Ranking

• 2018 DraftKings FFWC Finalist

• 2018 DraftKings FBWC Finalist

Since one of RG’s own is now a new “millionaire” (I put it in quotes because unfortunately he’ll owe about 400k in taxes), I figured I’d ask the question to the rest of the RG community, what would you do with the money if it had been you that won? I’m going to use the post-tax value of $600,000 as my starting point.

1) Buy a Gibson Les Paul guitar and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Amp. I love guitar but can’t really justify paying $4,000+ for my dream guitar and amp.
    2) Put some $ aside for the following upcoming tech purchases within the next year (New iPad whenever it comes out, 4k TV or Projector, build a new desktop).
    3) Take my family and friends to a nice dinner to celebrate. It’s fun to be successful, but means nothing if you aren’t sharing it with the ones you care about.
    4) I’d leave about $25,000 or so in the site that I won it on (or spread it out across the few that I play on). I don’t think I would want to be an extremely high volume, high $ player, but I would definitely up the stakes more with a higher bankroll. That’s it for the “irresponsible” choices. Not on the logical ones.
    5) Pay off my wife’s remaining student loans and say screw you forever.
    6) Pay off our house (noticing a trend?) and hopefully avoid taking on any debt for a while.
    7) Take my wife on a trip for a few weeks, possibly to Europe. She puts up with my crap daily, she probably deserves a trip.
    8) Start a 529 plan or two for my unborn children. Don’t want them to have the burden of student loans if possible.
    9) Put the rest in various savings and investment accounts. Figure there’d probably be about $200,000 or the initial $600,000 at this point.

So what would you do? Be logical? Blow it all on worthless crap?

• rotokevin

2014 RG Bowling Co-Champion, CPA & DFS Tax Guru

• 2014 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

1. Hookers
    2. Blow
    3. Repeat

• Cameron

RG Co-Founder

• 2014 FanDuel NFL Survivor Champion

• 2016 RG Season Long Champion: NFL

Honestly, right now, reinvest at least half (maybe more), especially with the growth we’re seeing in this upcoming NFL season. The top full time guys are doing something right, eh? Binking a major opens doors to a great opportunity to move up from the low-to-mid stakes grind, and give yourself a chance to play DFS full time.

• ezellmt

RG Contributor

RG Overall Ranking

• 2015 DraftKings FBWC Finalist

@Cameron said...

Honestly, right now, reinvest at least half (maybe more), especially with the growth we’re seeing in this upcoming NFL season. The top full time guys are doing something right, eh? Binking a major opens doors to a great opportunity to move up from the low-to-mid stakes grind, and give yourself a chance to play DFS full time.

I would definitely give the full-time DFS route some serious consideration. Not sure if it would become too much of a “job” if it were full-time instead of a hobby. Hopefully one-day, I get to consider that option. I love photography and music but swore a long time ago that I would always keep them as hobbies for fear of ruining the fun of them. For now, DFS is just a fun side-show that supplements the big boy job.

• soobv

RG Overall Ranking

@Cameron said...

Yeah couldnt agree more, and if you lose in nfl atleast you pay less taxes end of year. Go for the retirement spin in nfl

• sabresrock29

1. Buy a house(125 tom150k range max)
    2. Go on a nice vacation to Europe for a month
    3. Try to go part time with job or less hours
    4. Play more dfs
    5. Go golfing more
    6. Try to win my next million

• AtGame7

@rotokevin said...

1. Hookers
    2. Blow
    3. Repeat

Probably this.

Actually, I’m at a point in life that I could retire from my real job with an additional $600,000 to bridge the gap between now and my real target date. It would be more than $600,000 by the way, invest in a smart financial/tax guy and you won’t lose as much as you think.

In any event, yea, I shut it down and retire early. Unfortunately, I haven’t been doing all that well in the $2 Moonshot and last I checked they don’t give away a million for finishing 2865th most days. They should, but they don’t.

• DillingerFour

FD Rep - DFBMeeMee Champ (x2)

• Blogger of the Month

Did this immediately come to mind for anyone else?

• Ross

This:

• terrymandangle

@rrt7573 said...

This:

Watch out for your cornhole bud.

• Ross
    @terrymandangle said...

Good point

• sonicattack

@terrymandangle said...

Words of wisdom, right here.

• hambazaza

RG Blog Program Manager, 2014 RG Party Beer Pong Champion

• Blogger of the Month

• Beer Pong Champion

two chicks at the same time. obviously.

then after my wife takes half the 600K, I’d use the other 300K to pay off student loan debt, pay off house, and pay the divorce lawyers.

then back to playing the $2-$5 games on fanduel

• dmoen21

5) Pay off my wife’s remaining student loans and say screw you forever.

Wait, are you saying screw you to your wife or the student loans? Or both?

For me it would be:
    -new house, lake cabin, car, boat, and jet ski
    -pay off loans/credit cards
    -put about $50,000 into retirement accounts and 529 for my daughter
    -put about $50,000 toward my DFS bankroll
    -put the rest, if there is any leftover, into CDs and my savings account

• Braden22

I’d love to just cash for a week straight, been the worst 1 1/2 weeks of DFS in my life for MLB… seriously.

• ezellmt

RG Contributor

RG Overall Ranking

• 2015 DraftKings FBWC Finalist

@dmoen21 said...

Wait, are you saying screw you to your wife or the student loans? Or both?

Haha the loans!

• FatalError

DraftKings Rep

Try to win another million dollars so I won’t just be half as cool as CSURAM

• dmoen21

@ezellmt said...

Haha the loans!

Haha just checking.

• terrymandangle

@hambazaza said...

two chicks at the same time. obviously.

then after my wife takes half the 600K, I’d use the other 300K to pay off student loan debt, pay off house, and pay the divorce lawyers.

then back to playing the $2-$5 games on fanduel

Which is why I’ll never get married. If I did, I would be quarter arcade for life!

• Mindgame247

I’d probably do something unexciting like invest most of it for the future. Maybe i’d have fun with 5-10k of it but ~$600k is a solid start towards a retirement fund.

If I were fortunate enough to win 1 million a second time then yeah, hookers and blow all the way!

• dudju

The Big One

• ryanms3030

Take the $600k and put a down payment on a house since the median house price where I live is $650k

or

move to Michigan or someplace where I could buy a house for $100k and then invest the rest and get a job as a greeter at the local walmart to pay the rest of my expenses

• chronoxiong

1. To payback my college loans
    2. To payback any other debt
    3. Buy a new car
    4. Save it and use it only for family and productive things
    5. Use it to continue to play DFS

• RTLONG

400k in taxes is criminal…..smh

• Xmas32

You know what I would do if I had a million dollars? I would invest half of it in mutual funds and then take the other half over to my friend Sadulach who works in Securities.

• looningabout

@DillingerFour said...

Did this immediately come to mind for anyone else?

hey d4, scroll down to my post 8 months ago. great minds…etc

/threads/The_Well_headChopper-202391?page=5

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.