BANKROLL FORUM

Comments

• FantasyTime69

We hear it all the time on here how some guy deposited 50 dollars then in a year hes sitting with 60k in his account or more. The question is can this be repeated with 100% success? If so how would one structure their bets to do so assuming they have an edge?

• SouthernShield

Of course it can’t be repeated with 100% success…….Hell it can’t even be repeated with 0.001% success…..

• FantasyTime69

@SouthernShield said...

Of course it can’t be repeated with 100% success…….Hell it can’t even be repeated with 0.001% success…..

lol ok this is what i was wondering.

• OsRitmos

Were you seriously wondering this?

• FantasyTime69

@OsRitmos said...

Were you seriously wondering this?

We hear it all the time in poker why not in dfs?

• epeng

I made a comment that addresses this question here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dfsports/comments/3×3gxv/hi_im_eric_peng_i_created_daily_fantasy_nerd_and/cy156iw

[Here’s a shortened link since RG cuts off the original link: http://bit.ly/2dl6eXa]

• xplorin16

Play me in a 50$ hth.

• cedric19

Rent a suit and wear it to a job interview

• tvsfrink

To give a serious reply, I started last October by depositing $50 at three different sites. I play 90% cash games (50/50 and double up, no H2H) and make one lineup per slate per site. I stick to $1 and $2 games 90% of the time. I play where my style fits best (for example, NBA strictly on FD because I don’t have time for late swap). I play roughly the same amount each day/week regardless of how I’m doing, unless I’m running cold and I just need to take a day or two off. If I don’t have time to play on a particular day I don’t force it. If I don’t like how the weather report looks on a particular MLB slate I don’t play. For GPPs I usually go smaller field or single entry or both. I take advantage of deposit bonuses, freerolls, tickets, etc. I avoid qualifiers because I’m not looking for a huge payday or a live final.

I’ve turned that $150 into roughly $1500 in one year. Not trying to brag, just trying to say that this can be done if you’re smart about how you go about it. You definitely need some luck (I hit $250 in a FD NBA freeroll contest in Feb) but mostly you just need to play with your head, not over it.

• kdjac0434

I’ve had a very similar experience to tvsfrink. I started small about 2 years ago with about $200 on FD. I grew that to about 4000 by the start of baseball this year. It would have been higher if I had not played extra some days or if I had not played over my head in some tournaments I wasn’t familiar with. I did it a few GPPs for a little over $100, but mostly it has been 50/50s, H2H and 3Mans. I would suggest playing a GPP or 100 man league on FD everyday because you just never know when that cash lineup will hit.

And don’t play 6 lineups in the $25 Christmas Day GPP because you want some entertainment after all the presents are opened.

• fantasyprofit78

I disagree, I believe I am one of those examples. I started playing daily about 2 years ago and deposited around $200. Over the course of about 4 months playing scared( .25 arcade tournaments+low limit buy ins) and learning formula for creating a winning line up, I finally broke out. I only play GPP’S. I have thought about cash games but but never had the balls to put up $500 to win $400. Yes I know its only one line up that you have to go against but my mind does not work that way. I think the best article that I ever read really showed me look at what type of player I am? Cash game? GPP? I found that 60% of all my line ups that I submit usually cash in top 20%. In August last year I hit for $10k in mlb gpp, $3500 3rd in mlb gpp, $6240 nba gpp and so on. Once I figured out what type of player I was it was easier to make decisions . My point is that yes its possible to continually win at gpp or cash games but you really need to figure out a few things. I would say my winnings over the last 2 years are some where around 70k and I know that I have not put more than $4k into it.

• Dpert002

You have to be extremely disciplined about it.
    Congrats to the above users to sticking to their game!

• Richebee

Never ******* lose!

• hendog

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #78

RG Tiered Ranking

• 2017 DraftKings FFWC Finalist

Play like 15 x $1 H2H games and 20 x $0.25 GPP entries per slate, increase/decrease as bankroll changes. Eventually if you find you do better in one format then another, play that.

Even if you reduce your buyins as your bankroll gets smaller, you could still run out of money (since there are no games smaller than $0.25). But if you use good bankroll allocation (e.g. leaving most of your bankroll “in the bank” each slate), you are less likely to run out.

• FrancisBooth

@hendog said...

Play like 15 x $1 H2H games and 20 x $0.25 GPP entries per slate, increase/decrease as bankroll changes. Eventually if you find you do better in one format then another, play that.

Even if you reduce your buyins as your bankroll gets smaller, you could still run out of money (since there are no games smaller than $0.25). But if you use good bankroll allocation (e.g. leaving most of your bankroll “in the bank” each slate), you are less likely to run out.

With a fifty dollars bankroll, if you did poorly your first two nights you would have maybe ten bucks left

• hambazaza

RG Blog Program Manager, 2014 RG Party Beer Pong Champion

• Blogger of the Month

• Beer Pong Champion

Play 50 entries in the $1 tournament.

• thehazyone

RG Contributor

• Blogger of the Month

With $50 it’s hard. You can grind out cash games and it might take you a month to double that. I would probably play 20-30% a night in a $1 GPP. Might lose the money faster that way but also much more likely to build bankroll if you have a good night or two.

• AssaniFisher

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #39

RG Tiered Ranking

• x2

2015 DraftKings FFWC Finalist

• x6

2016 DraftKings FBWC Finalist

@FantasyTime69 said...

We hear it all the time on here how some guy deposited 50 dollars then in a year hes sitting with 60k in his account or more. The question is can this be repeated with 100% success? If so how would one structure their bets to do so assuming they have an edge?

-It has gotten much harder to do this over the past few years. Many people who did it would not have been able to do it had they started DFS a year later. It will only continue to get more difficult.

-No it can’t be repeated with 100% success. If you were to take the best player in the world and use ultra conservative bankroll management coupled with good game selection then I’d say it’d be ~95%. Using more aggressive bankroll management I’d say that the best player in the world is ~80% to run the $50 up huge and ~20% to lose it. These are total guesses on my part.

-The most important thing is finding bonus offers/referral bonuses/overlay opportunities/freerolls/insanely soft slates. The amount of equity you can gain through these is monumental for someone with a $50 bankroll. I entered DFS two years ago and things were much easier back then(I only played on DK at first and they had plenty of these “free money” opportunities). Nowadays I imagine they are more scarce, although I’m not very familiar with what all the small sites are offering.

-I know Doug Polk did a $100 to $10k poker challenge, has anyone ever done something similar for DFS?

• snapped

@hambazaza said...

Play 50 entries in the $1 tournament.

If the original OP is asking a serious question about how to build up from $50 i think this is really poor and irresponsible advice. Actually surprised to see this individual post this as I was under impression this is an individual working for the site that is here to help and not mock or make jokes or give really bad advice.

If one is serious about restricting themselves to $50 and once they are done with that it’s over I personally believe taking advantage of the $1 single entry tournies is a reasonable way to go. It can be a grind and requires patience, but once you hit that one nice night you are in a better position to up your entries. If you are willing to keep depositing if the original $50 is lost one may want to consider max entering the Quarter Arcade daily until hitting a nice score. I personally wouldn’t recommend the QA unless you are going to do the max entries as it reduces the value, sorta like not taking the max odds offered at craps, for example. It is definitely possible to build up on $50 but it will take patience.

• osuryanf

Here’s what I would do..

Go to a Roulette table..

Bet $50 on Black.. Win..

Bet $100 on Black.. Win..

Bet $200 on Black.. Win..

Bet $400 on Black.. Win..

Bet $800 on Black.. Win..

Take that $1600, enter 80 Millionaire Maker lineups..

Win!

And enjoy!

• TeHDruiD

@snapped said...

If the original OP is asking a serious question about how to build up from $50 i think this is really poor and irresponsible advice. Actually surprised to see this individual post this as I was under impression this is an individual working for the site that is here to help and not mock or make jokes or give really bad advice.

If one is serious about restricting themselves to $50 and once they are done with that it’s over I personally believe taking advantage of the $1 single entry tournies is a reasonable way to go. It can be a grind and requires patience, but once you hit that one nice night you are in a better position to up your entries. If you are willing to keep depositing if the original $50 is lost one may want to consider max entering the Quarter Arcade daily until hitting a nice score. I personally wouldn’t recommend the QA unless you are going to do the max entries as it reduces the value, sorta like not taking the max odds offered at craps, for example. It is definitely possible to build up on $50 but it will take patience.

What is wrong with going all in on a tourney? $50 isn’t anything, it would take a long time to get to where you want to go playing cash games on $50

Just last week, I’m was sitting dangerously close to breaking and having to refill my account, I had $80 left. I threw that whole $80 into $1 and $2 GPP’s. I turned that $80 into $3,000 (not a brag, an example… it’s sad I have to say that) I’m not sure it would have been possible to turn that $80 into $3,000 playing cash games

Long story short, all it takes it 1 good week, 1 good lineup and a little luck. What I would say, is 100% I’d throw that whole bankroll into $1 GPP’s and hope to hit big. The odds of busting out and losing it all are very low, even if you don’t hit big, you’re going to make some money back to continue to grow off of. The key is not to try to roster every player possible, the key to create a list of players at each position and then use those guys in your lineups. You’re creating the list because those are the guys you like this week, don’t waiver from that. It’s impossible to cover every player, stick to those you have faith in putting big games up and build around them using different combinations

Without a big bankroll, you need a little luck. $50 is a nice start, you can try to double up weekly and possibly turn it into a few hundred, or you can go all in on a GPP and try to take it down or at the very least turn that $50 into a bankroll that offers you a much higher upside when it comes to playing cash games. Good luck man and if you do approach it that way, I hope you get to enjoy a really good sweat Sunday night. The adrenaline I felt when the Steelers started going off was insane (Ben/Brown) and reminded me why I enjoy playing DFS

• snapped

@TeHDruiD said...

$50 isn’t anything,

Unfortunately this isn’t the case for a lot of people.

I 100% agree with what you said if the original $50 isn’t a big deal and the player can easily afford to lose it and redeposit right away. My thoughts were more generally directed in a case where someone wanted to build off just $50 and that was an end all, be all.

• hambazaza

RG Blog Program Manager, 2014 RG Party Beer Pong Champion

• Blogger of the Month

• Beer Pong Champion

@snapped said...

geez… guess the forums are not a place to add a little light hearted commentary after there have been lots of serious answers already offered.

My answer was in jest, as you pointed out, and while I’ll disagree that it was in poor taste, but no bother, I’ll accept responsibility.

nevertheless, I’ll give a serious answer.

From my experience, unless you are going to be satisfied with small incremental increases in your bankroll, don’t expect $50 to go on for very long. It is very difficult to play for long on just that small amount, very strict bankroll management can help you grow it to 10x or even 20x which would be awesome, but it would require some huge luck and some big breaks along the way and more than likely take a very long time to reach that level (think 2 years or so if you only play cash games with an above average winning rate). If you are honestly considering what is the best way to grow $50 up to a large sum then you have to do well in a GPP. and what is the best way to do well in a GPP? well, depending on your personal preference. Some have the ability to build 150 lineups and either do real well or real badly. I personally am always better when I build 3-5 lineups and focus on optimizing all of them.

still, it doesn’t seem likely to turn $50 into something huge. IF you’re only playing with $50 then consider it “fun money” that you don’t mind losing and to go after some GPPs and hope that a top 10 finish expands your bankroll.

• TeHDruiD

My bad on my wording on the $50, I really dropped the ball on that one lol. I meant that $50 isn’t a lot to work with when it comes to making a good profit off of cash games. Ideally, you’d like to turn that $50 into a nice chunk that you’re able to then make some real money on cash games

It’s a double edge sword for sure though. GPP’s are far from a guarantee, even if you put 50 entries into them, but the odds on hitting something big are there which is the key to turning that $50 into something that can allow you to have a lot of volume in cash games to make money

I guess what I should have said is with $50 your best chance at getting to a bankroll that allows you to make money is to go all in on a GPP. It’s not the smartest move at all because you risk going broke, but the reward out-weighs the risks especially if 5 figures+ is your goal

My apologies on that, I needed to word that better

• zpruitt3

get a job, save up, then come back

• SA16

The best way to build a bankroll from $50 is to click the deposit button and add some more zeroes to the end of it.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Use our links to sign up and deposit on sites listed in this thread to get these bonuses:

• FanDuel

Get 1-month of RotoGrinders Premium for FREE (a ~$40value) by signing up through one of our links!

Learn More
  • DraftKings

Sign up for DraftKings using a RotoGrinders link & receive our DraftKings Premium content FREE for 1 month. That’s a ~$40 value! No DraftKings promo code necessary!

Learn More
  • FantasyDraft

FantasyDraft strives to put players first, with a mission to “provide a fun and fair experience for all.” To this end, the site has a well-built, easy-to-use interface and a the first of its kind in offering “Rake-Free” fantasy contests.

Learn More

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week. Our goal is to help all of our members make more money playing daily fantasy sports!

Bet with your head, not over it!
Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-Gambler