MAIN FORUM

Comments

• Fredb125125

It seems like most of the people that I know and talk too that play are always in the same boat. I have tried ever strategy I can find and it nothing seems to change it. I have been mostly playing NBA GPP’s because I was getting drilled in double ups and cash. I feel like I might be taking too many chalk picks but when I check back thru my research and compare it to the winning line up I just picked one or two guys different. I guess I am missing something that the guys that are always in the top 200 aren’t missing. Maybe one day I will grab lighting in the bottle.

• jimmyd1507

Well, to win you need to have 8/8 players go off. Lots of times, I’ve had 6/8, a few times I’ve had 7/8, but it takes that one time where you have 8/8 to have a chance.

There’s probably 100,000 other people like you asking the same question.

• Fredb125125

Jimmy I am sure there are. Just trying to get over the hurdle.

• jv21

Yeah GPPs are tough, don’t worry too much about your score yet. Wait until you actually do well and are only a couple of points separate you from winning the whole thing. Then you can be frustrated.

If you have’t tried this I suggest make a lineup with all studs and one with all values play. Pick the 2-3 studs you like and combine that with your value plays. Good practice to help you pick studs and value plays.

• TheRyanFlaherty

Because, looking at last nights big FD $1 GPP – roughly 77% of the field fell in that range.

People don’t like to hear it, but there’s a reason the majority is the majority…To be above that range, you’re talking about hitting the Top 1% consistently. If you aren’t a genius or have some sort of proprietary edge, there’s really little reason to expect to do that.
    Personally I’m thankful that I’m not the other extreme that consistently loses…Being able to have fun playing, turn a little bit of profit and always have the chance to potentially hit it big is a good thing.

You should always want and try to improve, and it’s not a bad thing to dream about reaching the top and being the best…But you also should look at things from a macro level and keep things in perspective.

• tonytone1908

Sometimes I like to build the chalkiest lineup possible and then do the complete opposite. Think everyone’s spending at PG? Try to go cheap. Think everyone is taking Boogie over Brolo tonight? Go Brolo. Somebody is a must play? Don’t fall into the trap.

A little chalk is OK. You can still have Stanley Johnson at 40% ownership if you go low owned at most of the others. It’s very easy from these forums to see where most people are looking. If you’ve played long enough you know usually those plays never work out. And yes, ownership ‘s do matter. Tell me how well you do with a LU of everyone over 20. Then tell me how well your LU that is all under 10% does. Much better I assure you.

• Fredb125125

I think it’s all about the lineup combinations, I typically never play more than 3-4 lineups. I always seem to be on the right guys just never in the correct order. Hopefully it strikes one day. Hard to scroll thru and see the same few guys making well over 10-20k one night then backing it up with a couple thousand more the next day. These guys have it figured out, I’ll keep searching cause it’s fun to play having that chance.

• tjabchs6

when you say you’re trying to get over the hurdle, really think about what that actually means. start with the fact that there are thousands and thousands of people entering into those tournaments. what are your realistic chances of finishing in one of the top spots? very, very low on a lineup-to-lineup basis.

how many lineups are you entering each night? one, two, a few? if so, it will most likely take you a long time before a large cash out arrives.

• Fredb125125

I’d say if I play everyday I cash on avg. 5 out of 7 days. Like I said it ends up I play for the thrill cause it’s tough to get excited about $3 profit. I usually stick to only a couple if lineups, my limited experience tells me that playing 10 or more lineups usually means I cash 2-3 and lose the rest so not a very good ROI there. I guess my point here was just to see how many other people feel like they are always I’ve guy away from making good money. I guess it’s like I read everywhere trust the process and it will come.

• Gotembaseball

My best piece of advice is don’t overthink and over research.

When building your LU
    1. start with your value plays of the day (NEVER fade a good cheap play because its chalk)
    2. Identify 1 or 2 players you project to score the most points (after steps 1 and 2 three or four roster spots should be filled)
    3. Find 2 games max you want to target and take guys from those games to fill remaining spots.
    4. Leaving money on the table is OK. NEVER UPGRADE for the sake of spending rest of salary.

At this point in the season you should have a clear understanding of what is what. For example SG vs Kings. With injuries always think WHO BENEFITS MOST FROM INJURY. Often that isn’t the new starter but rather a current starter that will play a bigger role. If you have watched and played most NBA slates this year a LU should take no more than 15 – 20 minutes to create. Players get into the most trouble and feel the most frustration when they allow too much time to think and too many tinkers to the LU. That is easier said than done but from my experience too much information is a BAD thing and only leads to muddying the waters and outsmarting yourself.

If you a re a new player or havent watched many games then 15-20 minutes researching wont scratch the surface.

• Fredb125125

Thanks Gotem I have been playing pretty much everyday since baseball season. I agree that it seems the more you study the more mistakes you make. I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on NBA and can identify those cheap plays and those guys that are in a good spot to go off. My less than stellar picks are those middle guys. Last night was typical played 4 lineups for $12 cashed one for $6 for a net lose of $6. Bang my head again. LOL

• Gotembaseball

@Fredb125125 said...

Thanks Gotem I have been playing pretty much everyday since baseball season. I agree that it seems the more you study the more mistakes you make. I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on NBA and can identify those cheap plays and those guys that are in a good spot to go off. My less than stellar picks are those middle guys. Last night was typical played 4 lineups for $12 cashed one for $6 for a net lose of $6. Bang my head again. LOL

if you are playing multi lineups its best to keep 6 or 7 players in all LUs. The thought being is when they hit all LUs win if they fail all LUs lose. If i play 10 LUs ill have a player pool of maybe 15-16 players. Narrow your player pool by highlighting 2 or 3 games. Attack as many combos from those games as possible.

I’m gonna tell you what almost no one will tell you. Most people lose long term. Even guys that say they win often times dont. If you are a gpp player think of this DFS as a long ass marathon not a sprint. you can lose everyday for a year but what you need to remember is you are only one good lineup away from a big pay day. The point being is dont get caught up in the short term losing. Play an amount you can afford to lose over a long period of time and go in with that mindset that you will likely lose.

That great big payoff LU when it happens and it will happen if you play long enough will make it worth it. Then rinse and repeat.

• Fredb125125

I hear you. Hell I’d just like to get more consistant and stay in the top 500 instead of the top 2000. I’ll stay after it. I think I will try my luck back over at Fanduel today as well, the pricing there is a lot easier to make better looking lineups.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.