NFL FORUM

Comments

• RollingDeuces

Would like to get thoughts on why so many top players were on JJ Nelson. I watched Arizona game last week and he looked bad with a drop or two. I get John Brown was out this week and no DJ, but they are on the road and I’d expect Fitz to be the target hog (boy was I wrong about that). Was he just a cheap play to free up salary elsewhere or did people really expect him to put up a huge game?

• bhdevault

• Lead Moderator

• Blogger of the Month

On Draftkings he was way to cheap not to use, in my opinion. He only needed 4 catches for 40 yards to hit value so I used him in cash. It really was deciding between him and Marquise Lee who was the same price and a top option for his team as well. I liked Nelson’s match-up more.

• tonedefrob

You’re missing that Gresham was also out. That’s 3 players who take up targets out for the week.

Vontae Davis, the Colts best CB, was also still out. The other Colts CBs are garbage.

Combined with a decent total, cheap price, and almost guaranteed looks it all added up to at least a 10-15 point floor.

• fanjuice

• 2016 FanDuel WFFC Finalist

• 2017 FanDuel WFBBC Finalist

@tonedefrob said...

You’re missing that Gresham was also out. That’s 3 players who take up targets out for the week.

Vontae Davis, the Colts best CB, was also still out. The other Colts CBs are garbage.

Combined with a decent total, cheap price, and almost guaranteed looks it all added up to at least a 10-15 point floor.

You would think Fitz would have the same floor haha but no what a stinker, had them both in cash and still lost a lot because Larry Legend look more like Larry Loser

• osuryanf

- Put up 15 DK points first week

- John Brown out

- Gresham out

- DJ out

- Indiana secondary is trash

- Vontae Davis, their best corner, out

- All of that seemed obvious that Indy would focus heavily on Fitz (as they should have, even with their trash corners)

- Cheap price with guaranteed snaps so seemed like an obvious lock in cash, enough upside to throw into GPP’s

• usna1993

What he said!

• hendry

i think the correct answer given the current state of nfl dfs is that he was heavily touted on a number of sites.

• bigez952

@RollingDeuces said...

Would like to get thoughts on why so many top players were on JJ Nelson. I watched Arizona game last week and he looked bad with a drop or two. I get John Brown was out this week and no DJ, but they are on the road and I’d expect Fitz to be the target hog (boy was I wrong about that). Was he just a cheap play to free up salary elsewhere or did people really expect him to put up a huge game?

With John Brown out that would give JJ Nelson a much bigger bump than Fitz as that leaves at JJ Nelson and Jaron Brown as the only two guys to run deep routes. I also thought Fitz was a good play based on target volume but went down to JJ Nelson for nearly $3000 less with Brown out.. Most of JJ Nelson’s points came on the 43 yard TD so without that he doesn’t put up a huge game. It is one of those things that no one expects a guy to catch a 40+ yard TD but if anyone on Arizona would have that opportunity it would most likely be JJ Nelson based on their receiving core.

• osuryanf

@bigez952 said...

With John Brown out that would give JJ Nelson a much bigger bump than Fitz as that leaves at JJ Nelson and Jaron Brown as the only two guys to run deep routes. I also thought Fitz was a good play based on target volume but went down to JJ Nelson for nearly $3000 less with Brown out.. Most of JJ Nelson’s points came on the 43 yard TD so without that he doesn’t put up a huge game. It is one of those things that no one expects a guy to catch a 40+ yard TD but if anyone on Arizona would have that opportunity it would most likely be JJ Nelson based on their receiving core.

Not entirely true, though. He also caught another TD that was eventually taken off the board. He also was tackled at the 1 which would have been yet another touchdown. So, yeh, if he didn’t have the 43 yard touchdown he wouldn’t have a huge game.. But, if he makes it inside the 1, OR, his other touchdown doesn’t get called back, he still has a huge game.

The “if’s” go both ways, and he had a good game regardless of the hypothetical situations.

• mataug21

I had to global swap a lot of Thielen and he was the one that made the most sense for me.

• mjtaxpro

RG had him tied for 2nd highest expected ownership percentage for WR’s.

• hendry

@mjtaxpro said...

RG had him tied for 2nd highest expected ownership percentage for WR’s.

which in turn drives his ownership higher in cash games

• ChaosM83

RG Overall Ranking

Look at past history when a player was out either Brown or Floyd last year, anytime JJ saw an uptick in snaps he had big games. Did you know he and Fitz were tied for most receiving TD’s on the team last year… even though he played 600 less snaps? When he is on the field, and will be targeted he puts up TD’s. I don’t know how people weren’t on Nelson. Besides Montgomery he was by far my most owned player.

• qnova34

RG Overall Ranking

Everything made sense based on what people are seeing above, but guys who were heavy on JJ Nelson got bailed out by that deep bomb towards the end. I was pissed at myself thinking he was a stinker before that.

• IronMonkey415

I played JJ Nelson because I figured everyone will hop on the Larry Fitz train.

• jtkucheck

No one mentioning the Smizz effect?

The guy won a Milly last year and hosts a variety of content, and gets JJ Nelson right just about every damn time. When Smizz is on JJ Nelson, you probably should be too, esp at $3,800.

• StabiloBoss10

@jtkucheck said...

No one mentioning the Smizz effect?

The guy won a Milly last year and hosts a variety of content, and gets JJ Nelson right just about every damn time. When Smizz is on JJ Nelson, you probably should be too, esp at $3,800.

Came into post something along these lines. I remember the same scenario occurring last year with Brown and Floyd and Smizz was all in Nelson.

If its good enough for Smizz it sure as hell is good enough for me.

• ChaosM83

RG Overall Ranking

Lets not forget he almost had another TD in the first QTY when his second foot came down out of bounds on review. Again I’m just surprised more people weren’t on him.

I went and bet the over on his props, that’s how much confidence I had that he would have a good game.

• RollingDeuces

Wow, didn’t expect much of a response but these are great. Thanks for the replies guys. Will need to check out that ownership percentage page on a go forward.

• jimmyd1507

Im not a top player, but he was obvious.

I had zero faith Arizona was going to run the ball with random dude who nobody has ever heard of. They’ll supplement their run game with their short passing game.

• Linsanity88

As others have mentioned, it was pretty simple: David Johnson + John Brown + Jermaine Gresham all out opened up a ton of targets to flow Nelson’s way, and the Colts secondary is atrocious. Plus at $3800 on DK, Nelson allowed you huge roster flexibility.

• lovpink

SO Play funchess this wk very same situation

• ChaosM83

RG Overall Ranking

@lovpink said...

SO Play funchess this wk very same situation

No, there not the same situation. Palmer throws more than Newton, Panthers have both running backs and Palmer has a proven connection with JJ Nelson.

I think Funchess is an option, but he is nowhere near the same as JJ last week.

• hendry

@ChaosM83 said...

No, there not the same situation. Palmer throws more than Newton, Panthers have both running backs and Palmer has a proven connection with JJ Nelson.

I think Funchess is an option, but he is nowhere near the same as JJ last week.

to me the point here is that if fitz had a huge game then everyone would be like of course how could you not play him, duh! a few posts ago it was said that nelson had a 10-15 pt floor…no, he had a 0 pt floor. while he was a strong play, everyone is awfully results oriented…cough kendell wright cough

• ChaosM83

RG Overall Ranking

@hendry said...

to me the point here is that if fitz had a huge game then everyone would be like of course how could you not play him, duh! a few posts ago it was said that nelson had a 10-15 pt floor…no, he had a 0 pt floor. while he was a strong play, everyone is awfully results oriented…cough kendell wright cough

Again look at results. Look at last years games when Nelson was the #2 option, when Flloyed was out. Kendell Wright had no history with his QB so it was just guessing. There are plenty of games to back up the Nelson argument. Again he was tied for the team TD lead last year in 600 fewer snaps than Fitz. History and Math tells me he was in a good position. Again, this isn’t just 20/20, I laid down money on his prop for the over. I think it was set at 57 yards, and I felt VERY strongly that he would go over that. He almost had a TD that long. I’m not going to say Nelson had a 10-15 point floor, but it was much closer to that than 0.

Last year when Benjamin went down, how did Funchess do as the #2 option? Why do we believe he is a lock now as the #3.

Good plays aren’t just results oriented, Zeke was a good play last week, but the results weren’t there. Still doesn’t make him a bad play, it just didn’t pan out. Nelson was a good play who panned out.

• dbullsfan

just to make sure we don’t have this post again next week please go ahead and put Rishard Higgins in your lineup, thanks.

:)

basically oppurtunity + bad matchip + bad defense = yummy fantasy goodness.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).