MAIN FORUM

Comments

• TheAnswer

• 2021 Blogger of the Month

• 2019 Blogger of the Month

The soccer forums have been dead for a while, so why not start up a World Cup talk before it actually begins.

Here are the odds to take it:
    Germany 4/1
    Brazil 4/1
    France 6/1
    Spain 6/1
    Argentina 7/1
    Belgium 10/1
    England 20/1
    Portugal 20/1
    Uruguay 25/1
    Poland 30/1
    Colombia 40/1
    Russia 40/1
    Croatia 40/1
    Saudi Arabia 1000/1

And here’s a concise article previewing the whole tournament – 2018 World Cup Preview

Let’s start the debate!

• MHDU2424

I love Belgium at 10/1…really feel like they’re just about as talented and deep as anyone and their golden age already has last World Cup under their belt

Colombia and Croatia interesting long shots at those odds

As for DFS I’m curious what kind of prizepools and participation we’ll see…The first tourney with 30k to first seems ambitious but I guess we’ll see how it goes

Really hope this brings in some people from other sports as DK soccer is a great experience overall

• TheAnswer

• 2019 Blogger of the Month

• x3

2017 Blogger of the Month

@MHDU2424 said...

Really hope this brings in some people from other sports as DK soccer is a great experience overall

Totally agree with you, hopefully these contests are big and increase the attraction around DFS soccer.

As for Belgium, they collapsed at Euro against Wales. An amazing squad but they have struggled on the big stages. I love Colombia to top their group and put on a run like Costa Rica did in the last WC.

• daveedgamboa

Only issue with Belgium is they probably have the hardest path to the final.

If they get 2nd to England (could happen) they have to go through Colombia, Germany, Spain/Argentina (most likely) to get to the finals.

If they get 1st in the group, they have a slightly easier path but go through Senegal (or whoever from that group), Brazil, and Portugal/France.

They’re good but I just don’t see them being better than France, Spain or Germany.

• Stewburtx8

• 2012 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

@MHDU2424 said...

I love Belgium at 10/1…really feel like they’re just about as talented and deep as anyone and their golden age already has last World Cup under their belt

Belgium certainly has the talent. It’s just for whatever reason guys like Hazard and De Bruyne do not seem to play their same game/style for their national team as they do for their club teams. They should win their group with ease, but once they get up against some of the top teams, they always seem to falter. I’ll be rooting for them though.

I agree on Columbia and Croatia. I also think Uruguay is worth a shot. They have a very easy qualifying group that they should win and they did finish 2nd in South American qualifying (behind only Brazil). Although a possible path of Portugal, France, Brazil and Germany looks about impossible. But you never know if a couple upsets occur.

I just have a hard time seeing the winner not come from the top 3 in the odds. But if you can get a solid future to even make it to the semifinals, you have some strong hedging opportunities.

• LegiaWwa

I asked this in the general soccer thread, but are there any good bracket pool sites out there for the World Cup? ESPN had a good one in 2014, but they switched to something different now. Thanks.

• RubeRx

Belgium’s squad looks great on paper, but lets not forget who their manager is. Roberto Martinez defensive tactics have always been criticized, and rightfully so as none of his teams have ever achieved a balance between going forward and defending. I’d be more tempted to bet on Uruguay at 25/1 as a potential longshot. Also look out for Argentina under Sampaoli, he can definitely give them the extra edge needed to win a tournament like this. As a neutral fan during this World Cup, I just want to see another nation win it, preferably not named Brazil or Germany.

• Unico10

RG Overall Ranking

@RubeRx said...

Belgium’s squad looks great on paper,

Also they lack National identity.
    Squad built with many naturalized, some not even speaking the language (which is already an issue for actual born and raised Belgian as, like the Netherlands, several languages are used).

At the WC, especially when the match is a grind and the team isn’t having the best day and adversity must be overcome, cultural/national identity is an intangible that helps.
    Just think of all the uber-talented Yugoslavian teams that could never perform to their potential back in the 70s and 80s.

There has never been a WC without at least one of these Countries in the final 4:
    Germany, Italy, Argentina, Uruguay
    Italy isn’t there… 1 or 2 between the other 3 will make it to the Semis.

• Thechamp1995

RG Overall Ranking

This very well might be Frances year

• Stewburtx8

@LegiaWwa said...

I asked this in the general soccer thread, but are there any good bracket pool sites out there for the World Cup? ESPN had a good one in 2014, but they switched to something different now. Thanks.

I was thinking about running a pool but have not decided on a format I like yet. PM me if you have an idea.

• enderasin

RG Overall Ranking

Has anyone found a good source for world cup qualifier data yet? Whoscored and squawka don’t seem to have any…

• KindGuy

Wow. Leroy Sane left off the final squad for Germany. The hell? One of my favorite players in the world to watch.

• DatDerFranny

Some bets that I’m already on:

Uruguay to win group A -120
    Denmark to win group C +600
    Peru to win group C +750
    France under 7.5 pts -150
    Denmark over 3.5 -150
    Croatia win group D +200
    Panama advances +900
    England under 6.5 -140 (really like this one… They need two wins and a result against Belgium which seems far less likely to happen than 42% of the time)
    England doesnt win group G +135
    Poland over 4.5 pts -120
    Poland wins Group H +170

I bet on both Germany and Brazil to win it, so I guess you could say I’m in the camp that has a hard time seeing one of the two faves not winning.

I also have some futures on Croatia and Poland and I’m hoping for hedging oppourtunites there, although Poland is probably doomed with their quarterfinal draw even if things go right.

I also have some golden boot futures on Timo Werner, Lukaku, Suarez, Cavani, Mandzukic, Eriksen, and Roberto Fermino (although I’m worried Firmino won’t start, lol.) I’m bummed I ddint bet Neymar a long time ago, but the odds have come down substantially on him and I missed the window.

So thats the money I’m lighting on fire, anyway. Can’t wait!

• Stewburtx8

@Stewburtx8 said...

I was thinking about running a pool but have not decided on a format I like yet. PM me if you have an idea.

Was thinking something like this:

You must pick the Group Winner and Group Runner-up for all 8 groups

Scoring:

1 point each team you pick correctly to advance (1st or 2nd in group)
    2 bonus points for correct group winner
    1 bonus point for correct group runner-up

Possible points: 5 points max per group x 8 groups = 40 points

After the Group stages, you must pick the Knockout Bracket:

Scoring:

2 points for Round of 16
    4 points for Quarterfinals
    8 points for Semifinals
    16 points for winner

Possible points for Knockout= 2 × 8 + 4 × 4 + 8 × 2 + 16 × 1 = 64 points

Tiebreaker: Total goals scored by Brazil in the tournament

Thoughts? Suggestions? Interested? Was thinking $20-25 per entry…

• DatDerFranny

@Stewburtx8 said...

Scoring:

Scoring:

2 points for Round of 16
    8 points for Semifinals
    16 points for winner

I’m totally down, but I think maybe you should go one step further and pick 3rd and 4th place group finishers as well, and give 1 pt for each of those correctly picked, with 2 pts for the group winner as you said, and 1 bonus pt for 2nd place as you said. So, 3 pts for 1st place, 2 pts for second, and 1 pt for each correct 3rd and 4th. I think this works out to where you can score, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 7 pts for each group, so it allows for more point disparity. I’m in either way, though.

• kellykip

Don’t sleep on Peru. I can’t name one player they have unless Farfan and Paolo Guerrero are still active, but still, don’t sleep on them.

• Stewburtx8

@DatDerFranny said...

I’m totally down, but I think maybe you should go one step further and pick 3rd and 4th place group finishers as well, and give 1 pt for each of those correctly picked, with 2 pts for the group winner as you said, and 1 bonus pt for 2nd place as you said. So, 3 pts for 1st place, 2 pts for second, and 1 pt for each correct 3rd and 4th. I think this works out to where you can score, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 7 pts for each group, so it allows for more point disparity. I’m in either way, though.

I considered that and personally would be all for that. My concern was getting more casual people that want to follow the World Cup to join as well. I don’t want to make the picking process too complicated. But certainly open to that if the support is there…

• DatDerFranny

@Stewburtx8 said...

I considered that and personally would be all for that. My concern was getting more casual people that want to follow the World Cup to join as well. I don’t want to make the picking process too complicated. But certainly open to that if the support is there…

I don’t think its that troubling to pick all the groups in order. I don’t think you need to worry.

• DatDerFranny

@kellykip said...

Don’t sleep on Peru. I can’t name one player they have unless Farfan and Paolo Guerrero are still active, but still, don’t sleep on them.

Yes they do, and I like them a lot. I think the public is going a litte too strong in thinking that France has a very easy group. Farfan plays in Russia too, which helps, and I think one of the Peruvian main attackers plays in Denmark, too, so he should be familiar with that squad (although I’m not sure if there is many Domestic Danes on the Denmark squad so not sure how much value that has.

Edit: Flores is the one who plays in Denmark, and hes kind of a beast for the national team, too. I like them a lot. They play well together. Did well at Copa Centenario 2016, too. Guerrero was banned doping (it was BS) but the ban got lifted, so the team should be extra hyped, I think.

• mcgruffthecrimedog

Will FD and/or DK be doing anything for the world cup? Has anything been announced

• Faucher

• Blogger of the Month

@Stewburtx8 said...

Scoring:

Scoring:

2 points for Round of 16
    8 points for Semifinals
    16 points for winner

I like this format. I would be in for a $20-25 buy in. While I personally would not mind ranking the entire group with where they finish like Franny mentioned, I think it could dissuade some people from entering.

• webbm1

I would be up for it.

• Stewburtx8

Sounds good. I’ll probably make an official post later this week as we get into the week leading up to the World Cup. If anyone has any additional ideas, please let me know. Leaning towards just having everyone pick the top 2 in each group. I like the idea of picking the whole group but going to try to keep this fairly simple hoping more people feel compelled to join and follow the World Cup (and maybe play some DFS contests as well). But I am open to ideas…

• sirrobert6

• Blogger of the Month

• sirrobert6

• Blogger of the Month

Hope to have a few articles up this week, let me know if anybody has a particular theme/concept covered. Things I’m working on…

- The schedule: how it works, and DFS strategy around what days to target – Big teams to fade/Dogs to trust – Players you haven’t heard of/aren’t talking about

If there is any interest, I’ll also do up a Soccer for Noobs 2.0 and give everyone a super foundation to work with.

• Stewburtx8

Pool I am running if interested:

https://rotogrinders.com/threads/world-cup-bracket-challenge-2554634

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).