INDUSTRY FORUM

Comments

• DFSx42

So… I checked out the slate this morning and lo and behold, Yahoo, which as recently as this week has advertisements out there lauding it’s 10 max entry format has a 150 mme gpp.

I’m not against the offering, but can’t understand why they are making this hard pivot while actively advertising that 10 max lineups is the reason to play at Yahoo.

But more importantly, there’s no csv lineup export option. So it’s going to be 150 lineups entered by hand…

I’m not sure what to think of this.

Discuss

• SkateFiend

The entry fee for the “No fee” Yahoo contests is 20 dollars. Rest assured that most truly small time players will avoid it, or won’t commit more than 100 bucks on entries. I have no issues with Yahoo offering one big contest to appease the sharks, or just to give casual player a lotto shot at a huge payday.

DK has 1 dollar mini max contests that allows 150 entries. That ENTIRE site is a donation bin for casual players aside from their dime and quarter games.

One potential concern for anyone who wants to play the No fee Yahoo contest – Yahoo pricing tends to be much more flexible than DK, meaning it’ll be easy for sharks to cover more bases by fitting in more value or elite players. Yahoo is the second easiest site to stack players (FD being first, IMO). if you play their MLB single entry contest you can see how pros on the site put in high reward stacks while not sacrificing a ton on the pitching side. Yahoo still has Kyle Tucker and Toro under 9 bucks.

I don’t play football so maybe that’s not the case with Yahoo. But I play NBA, NHL and MLB on that site and typically pricing is reasonable there.

• DanielHaight

• Yahoo Representative

Hi guys,

As always we greatly appreciate all the feedback and discussion. A couple of things to note:

- we’re going to continue having no fee contests

- we’re going to continue trying out new things to try to grow our product; we are not beholden to 150 max moving forward

- we are adding csv upload as it’s been a common request for years, regardless if we do 10 max or 150, or somewhere inbetween

- we want to continue being the best place for players; we still have no-fee QuickMatch, free Yahoo Cups, flat payout structures, low management fees, and will be adding in some restrictions so our heaviest volume players cannot enter small stakes contests

- looking forward to watching Week 2 this Sunday while I’m on my yacht in the Mediterranean

• nickps

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #14

RG Tiered Ranking

@DanielHaight said...

Hi guys,

As always we greatly appreciate all the feedback and discussion. A couple of things to note:

- we’re going to continue having no fee contests

- we’re going to continue trying out new things to try to grow our product; we are not beholden to 150 max moving forward

- we are adding csv upload as it’s been a common request for years, regardless if we do 10 max or 150, or somewhere inbetween

- we want to continue being the best place for players; we still have no-fee QuickMatch, free Yahoo Cups, flat payout structures, low management fees, and will be adding in some restrictions so our heaviest volume players cannot enter small stakes contests

- looking forward to watching Week 2 this Sunday while I’m on my yacht in the Mediterranean

CSV upload expected to be live by this Sunday?

• DanielHaight

• Yahoo Representative

@nickps said...

CSV upload expected to be live by this Sunday?

Not this Sunday. Hoping for next week, but might be 2 weeks out.

• theIrrigator

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #29

RG Tiered Ranking

@DanielHaight said...

• NIN1002

@DanielHaight said...

and will be adding in some restrictions so our heaviest volume players cannot enter small stakes contests

Long overdue. I am looking forward to seeing what this looks like and how “heaviest volume” is determined. Regardless of what it is, this is a MAJOR positive step in the right direction IMO. Hopefully this change happens sooner rather than later.

• DFSx42

@DanielHaight said...

– looking forward to watching Week 2 this Sunday while I’m on my yacht in the Mediterranean

Daniel, this is awesome news! I fully support this even though I’m sure I’ll be one of the guys getting restricted a bit,

But what do I care, I’ll probably end up caving due to overlay, max enter the 150 MME and be yachting alongside you in retirement after I bink this baby :)

• DFSx42

Daniel, just saw Yahoo is finally offering a multi entry soccer gpp for more than $0.25, this is exciting and hope it continues :)

• depalma13

@2Slik said...

To be fair, for Yahoo doing all the giveaways they did a poor job at making any sort of an announcement. Run a free Florida contest. There’s a huge Florida market that even a lot of hardcore DFS guys are unaware opened up.

They did run a free Florida only contest. It was last week.

• mogizzle

This is because theyve been silently upping the entry limits on every contest now. The limit used to be no more than 1% for contests up to a max of 10 entries allowed (i.e. if it was a contest size between 200-299 entries then it was max 2 entries allowed). So the soccer contest today would have been max 2 entries in the past. Most of the contests on the site are like this now. Will be interesting to see how this dynamic changes things on the site. It’s a subtle but significant change

• DFSx42

what’s up mogizzle, one of the few soccer regs :)

• mogizzle

yep, the only sport I really make any money playing haha. I’m more or less treading water during MLB and NBA

• Njsum1

@SkateFiend said...

The entry fee for the “No fee” Yahoo contests is 20 dollars. Rest assured that most truly small time players will avoid it, or won’t commit more than 100 bucks on entries

I agree with this.

Just some general observations….

Doesn’t look like Yahoo’s no fee $1,000,000 is going to fill.

IMO….$20 is a terrible price point for a NFL contest that gives $100,000 to first. On DK or FD for the same price point you have a chance at a million. Yes I realize the odds are much lower, and those GPP’s are obnoxiously top heavy, yet still, most people don’t know or don’t care. They’ll just flock to the big number up top.

It would make much more sense to have a 150 max GPP at a 3 to 5 dollar price point. Right now I’m contemplating putting 1 entry in the tourney as $20 is more than I’ll (and most small time players) usually spend on a single lineup. Not sure if I will. Yet if you offered a no fee $3 to $5 150 max tourney with a prize pool anywhere from 250k to 1 mil, I’d happily put in at least 5 lineups.

Also, your scoring is the same as FD. You don’t have to go full DK and give yardage bonuses, yet maybe go full ppr or give 6 for a QB TD. In the age of the forward pass, I think ppr is the preferred scoring system these days. I could be wrong, maybe it’s just me. I play minimally on FD and Yahoo because I don’t like half ppr. However, again that’s just me, maybe your data shows people prefer half ppr to full ppr 🤷‍♂️.

Anyway, trying to be helpful, as I like your NBA product and want to see Yahoo do well. Take it for what it’s worth

• jsw3ent

This week —-the largest 1st place for the( 10 MAX )—is only 4K—LOL.

• britdevine

• 2014 StarStreet MLB Playboy Mansion Finalist

Not a fan of no reasonable rake free GPP, or the 150 Max enter, or the large GPP cut in half even though I know you took a bath on it for 2 weeks

Looks like cash games only and no GPP play at yahoo for me

• jsw3ent

• yisman

@britdevine said...

Not a fan of no reasonable rake free GPP, or the 150 Max enter, or the large GPP cut in half even though I know you took a bath on it for 2 weeks

Looks like cash games only and no GPP play at yahoo for me

I’ll still be doing 10+ lineups in the Baller. Worth it.

• Vayp

TEST

• BBROCK

• Ranked #13

RG Tiered Ranking

Not playing anything over there unless I see 10 max

• jsw3ent

I think the days of 10 max——with big 1st place $ is/are gone.

• NIN1002

This doesn’t have anything to do with this topic, but couldn’t help but get a little chuckle at the pricing of the Dolphins defense this week. Everyone’s punking Miami now!!! Well played, Yahoo. :)

And even at that price….still no thank you…lol. But, I will say it gave me almost a full one second of consideration before I decide to hard pass.

• yisman

@NIN1002 said...

This doesn’t have anything to do with this topic, but couldn’t help but get a little chuckle at the pricing of the Dolphins defense this week. Everyone’s punking Miami now!!! Well played, Yahoo. :)

And even at that price….still no thank you…lol. But, I will say it gave me almost a full one second of consideration before I decide to hard pass.

Maybe just a regular pass instead of a hard pass. :)

Half-price defense!

This has happened on Yahoo a few times in the past. I forget whether it was MLB or NHL.

• libra989

Unless they whip out a csv uploader before Sunday this contest will still end up rake free, it needs 50k entries to not overlay and last week’s 150 max no fee only hit 40k.

• bozzburg

@ironmiket said...

10 entry limit is the reason I play there too. Just look at the people who won on fanduel/draftkings. papagates and headchopper. Two max entry pro’s. I’m not competing against that. Now that yahoo has done this I’m done with that contest. Thought Yahoo was the one site where the little guys had a chance. I’d rather have 500,000 tournament with 10 entry if overlay was the reason

Bottom line really is, DFS is targeted towards people who collude. Everytime I look at leaderboard entries, the same people are always within close cashing spots of one another. Hell, they are permitted to get away with it, why wouldnt they?

Every contest on every DFS site should be Single Entry contests. No guaranteed pools, just split pools when contest goes live.

• jsw3ent

Same thing in week 4———no big 10 max contests

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).