MLB DFS Slate Preview: Thursday, June 8
Erik Wardenburg previews the Thursday, June 8th slate, breaking down his favorite MLB DFS picks, the top stacks, and some optimizer values at DraftKings & FanDuel. Sign up for MLB Premium to build DFS lineups like a pro!
We have differing main slates on FD and DK today, but we should have better air quality on the east coast after the apocalyptic images we saw yesterday that led to a couple PPDs. FanDuel will have a 5-game main slate starting at 6:05PM EST, and DraftKings will have a 4-game main slate starting at 7:07PM EST. Neither slate will include either game from the CHW/NYY doubleheader.
Spencer Strider and Framber Valdez headline the top SP options, while their opponents Verlander and Berrios are great GPP plays looking at lower ownership. Zach Wheeler is also in the mix as a top SP on FD but not DK.
Not a ton of news to get to but still plenty of MLB DFS picks to talk about!
MLB DFS Picks: FanDuel & DraftKings
This daily article highlights some of RG’s most helpful MLB DFS tools, including our industry-leading MLB DFS projections and MLB DFS optimizer, with some picks and analysis along the way. I will focus on the main slate of the day, but you can still find plenty of other tools, content, and analysis on RG for other slates.
MLB DFS Weather Check
Before we look at the projected lineups and MLB DFS picks for the day, it’s crucial to understand how the weather will impact the slate. Then we can better understand if we want to target certain games with ideal hitting conditions, for example, and possibly avoid games at risk of delay or postponement. Two tools to use are the MLB Weather Report and MLB WeatherEdge, which are both managed by RG’s Chief Meteorologist, Kevin Roth. You should also be following Roth on Twitter for his important weather news and updates.
- DET/PHI is rated YELLOW right now, due to a combo of a chance for in-game showers and declining air quality towards game time. Kevin Roth still thinks they end up playing this game, but there is some risk of an in-game rain delay along with an early PPD, if the air takes a really bad turn early.
- NYM/ATL will have the best hitting weather with temps in the low 80s to high 70s and 10mph wind blowing out. BOS/CLE will have the best pitching weather with temps in the 60s and 5-10mph wind blowing in. CHC/LAA will be in the mid 60s with 6-9mph wind blowing out.
- HOU/TOR will be today’s lone dome game.
MLB Projected Lineups – Analysis & Top Stacks
There are ways to get edges in MLB DFS, such as stacking a lineup or targeting guys higher in the order (since they are more likely to see an extra at-bat). We should always look for value bats that arise each slate. They allow us to fit those extra one or two players into our lineup who are likelier to hit home runs and get us those ceiling games we need to win tournaments.
With that in mind, let’s take a look at MLB Starting Lineups to see what the likely batting orders are for this slate, which teams I’m looking to stack, and any other interesting notes. Going forward, the projected lineups will usually be pretty consistent daily, with the main changes being based on the opposing pitcher being a righty or lefty. Also, certain players are more likely than others to get a day off if playing a day game after a night game.
- Pete Alonso was drilled in the wrist by a pitch yesterday and left the game immediately. He will sit out today, so Vientos will play 1B, Alvarez will move up to second, and Lindor will hit cleanup.
- Renfroe went on the paternity list yesterday and Jo Adell was called up. I’m expecting Adell in the lineup tonight against the lefty Smyly, and if Ward is over his illness, he should be back in there at leadoff. Rendon is getting a day off so Drury will hit cleanup and Urshela will play 3B.
- Varsho is getting a day off so Belt will get a rare start against a lefty.
- Verdugo is getting a day off so Jarren Duran will move up to leadoff and Refsnyder will take an OF spot.
- On FD, the Phillies are my top stack, while on DK I like BOS, CLE, and LAA for stacks and top offenses to target in cash games.
MLB DraftKings & FanDuel DFS Optimizer Picks
With a good feel for the projected lineups, weather, and strong stacks to consider, let’s check out the RotoGrinders MLB DFS optimizer, LineupHQ. With this tool, you can create up to 300 MLB DFS lineups in seconds, all of which will adhere to the custom settings you input. For insight into how one of the best MLB DFS players uses LineupHQ, read this article and watch the embedded videos from the GOAT himself, CheeseIsGood.
If we click on the “P/$” column header in the LineupHQ grid, it will rank all of the available players from highest to lowest based on their expected fantasy points per dollar of salary on the specific DFS site you have selected — this is one of the best starting points for finding value on every slate. Let’s do that now and see what stands out on FanDuel and DraftKings.
- If Zack Wheeler ($10,800) was a bit cheaper, he’d be my top p/$ cash game SP in a great matchup with Detroit. Framber Valdez ($11,100) is another great option but does draw a tough matchup with Toronto. Reid Detmers ($7,100) is extremely cheap in a decent matchup with the Cubs, but he just has too low of a floor to trust in cash games. This leaves Spencer Strider ($11,400) as my top cash game SP today, as he gets a home matchup with the Mets, who could be without their top hitter Alonso. With 7+ strikeouts in every start this year, Strider has the highest floor/ceiling combo. The only negative I can think of for him today is the good hitting weather. Berrios and Verlander are other SPs I’d have exposure to in GPPs.
- I’m starting with the cheap righty Phillies bats in cash games, as they will face the lefty Holton to start the game. Trea Turner ($3,000) remains way too cheap, while JT Realmuto ($2,800) and Nick Castellanos ($3,400) are still very affordable and make for a great value stack. Kyle Schwarber ($3,000) is who I would include in a full PHI stack.
- Mike Trout ($3,600) remains underpriced and will definitely be in my cash game lineup today and most days until he gets closer to $4k. Taylor Ward ($2,900) and Brandon Drury ($3,000) are other great value options from LAA along with Jo Adell ($2,500) and Gio Urshela ($2,600).
- From BOS/CLE I like the price of both leadoff hitters in Duran ($2,800) and Kwan ($2,800), while both 3B are very affordable, too. Rafael Devers ($3,600) would be my preferred option over Jose Ramirez ($3,300), as he has more HR upside for just a bit more salary. Amed Rosario ($2,500) is coming off a three hit game and is a strong value bat today, and Josh Naylor ($3,000) continues to hit everything, as he’s hit safely in seven straight and has only one strikeout over that span. Turner ($2,900), Casas ($2,600), and Bell ($2,600) are other value bats I like from this game.
- I’m not a huge fan of targeting bats against Verlander, but the Braves do have a team total around 4.85 currently. The stack of Riley ($3,100), Rosario ($2,700), and Albies ($3,000) should be low-owned with decent upside, if you want to take a shot on them in GPPs.
- You’re going to need a lot of value bats to fit in Strider ($12,000) and Valdez ($10,400), but if you want maximum upside and high SP floors, that’s the route to go today. If you’d rather spend up on a few more bats, then I’d recommend dropping Valdez down to Reid Detmers ($6,500), who has a good shot at a solid line against the Cubs.
- Taylor Ward ($3,400) is my favorite value bat on DK today, while Jo Adell ($2,500) is also a great extreme value option for more LAA exposure. Drury ($4,100) and Urshela ($2,700) are a couple more value bats to consider from the Angels.
- Rosario ($3,700), Naylor ($3,400), and Bell ($2,600) are great value options from Cleveland. From Boston, I like the prices of Duran ($3,800), Turner ($3,600), and Casas ($2,700). I like taking higher than 1.5 total bases for Amed Rosario on Underdog today, and if you’re a new user, make sure to use RG’s Underdog Fantasy promo code.
(See RotoGrinders projections directly on the Fantasy Pick’em sites with our browser extensions, available to premium users.)
- Yan Gomes ($3,000) and Trey Mancini ($2,300) are a couple of more value bats to consider today if you don’t go with Detmers in your main build.
MLB Premium subscribers will have access to all of this data in LineupHQ, so be sure to keep checking there as we start getting the confirmed lineups and projections update. The very best P/$ plays tend to be pretty consistent throughout the day for MLB. That being said, projections can always change if someone is hitting higher in the order than initially projected or if a player with a low salary gets a spot start for an injured/resting player.
MLB DFS – RotoGrinders Premium Tools Pre-Lock
If you have any tough last-minute decisions or need some quick MLB DFS picks, our MLB Premium package also contains Consensus Value Rankings, an Expert Survey, and daily LineupHQ Premium tags from our MLB DFS experts.
And for up-to-the-minute news and analysis leading right up to lock, make sure to watch MLB Crunch Time later in the day.
Good luck today!